Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corona virus

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by CanDB View Post

    BTW, do you seriously think that the former leader would acknowledge The Democrats? Your President has class. The vaccines were a matter of time, and were based on the effort of science/medical people all over the world. They came up with the answers, not politicians. Yes, the urgency demanded intervention perhaps, but solutions come from expertise in terms of practical, safe solutions that required due diligence and scrutiny, and of course, scientific proof. Failure at that level would be catastrophic.

    President Biden took what was working, the collaborated doings of experts in their field, and rolled out a vaccine plan that has been admirable. My country will catch up, as will others, when we have the supply we need, which is happening more quickly now. In that case, Biden is looking to help those who need vaccines in other countries.

    Interesting that you mention Democrat states only......interesting how some folks never mention "unmasked" political rallies. No offence, but though my take is clearly linked with one side vs the other, methinks yours might be as well. That's ok.

    That's why some of the discussion in this thread has been difficult to expand on....because there was typically an underlying theme that was hinted at, at very least, but not open for real discussion. And I think we have to avoid the protest activity, because that's a whole topic to itself, and not one for open debate. My view is that everyone should be concerned about covid, should respect others' property, and should behave within the confines of the law. But, protests often translate to a real need to be heard. But that's a whole other topic, and not to be discussed in BCMB.
    The difficult thing I think a lot of people are struggling with is how to discuss issues without including ideologically motivated comments. More often than not the ideas were brought to one's attention with ideologically motivated comments so naturally it is not easy to separate the issue from the ideology.

    I think people are getting better with time. Some patience and understanding while we all struggle with the best way forward with what we know now is all I can do.
    Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Lumiere View Post

      Sorry 58. All of these key items you list here were likely only reported by "non-credible" media sources.
      He's right about the Cuomo nursing home scandal. It was leaked by someone internal in his office. You can find plenty of stories about it now. Media tried not to cover it originally, but the story had too much momentum. The number is now up to 15k potentially infected sent back to nursing homes, the deaths that stemmed from the infected being introduced back into nursing homes is no doubt uncountable. It is a big reason NY was one of the hardest hit elderly populations in the country. I've been pretty surprised that he wasn't thrown to the wolves by the Dems... not to mention the recent revelations of his sexual misconduct/scandals. He is a posterboy for what is wrong with American politics, yet he's still being protected. It's unfortunate.

      I don't know about the other stuff he mentioned.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by CanDB View Post
        Further to.....thx 58 for our other little discussion. You're cool!!



        Thank you! I always appreciate your posts. I’m really hoping this time next year we have a decisive victory over Covid. Not just in the states but all countries dealing with the Pandemic.
        sigpic

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Hadez View Post

          The difficult thing I think a lot of people are struggling with is how to discuss issues without including ideologically motivated comments. More often than not the ideas were brought to one's attention with ideologically motivated comments so naturally it is not easy to separate the issue from the ideology.

          I think people are getting better with time. Some patience and understanding while we all struggle with the best way forward with what we know now is all I can do.
          And that's the supremely difficult thing to grapple with on a topic such as this, on a football message board where politics are expressly prohibited (and for very good reason). Separating the ideology from the story at hand is essentially impossible to any fair minded person. All you can do is look at all available information and try to objectively decide (decode) for yourself where the truth lies, and not let your own biases cloud the discussion.

          Political activist "journalists" spoon feed your thought medicine, and tell you how you are supposed to think. It's sad...quite pathetic really, but apparently, that's a more profitable way to package news.
          To infinity...and beyond.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Joshua2585 View Post

            He's right about the Cuomo nursing home scandal. It was leaked by someone internal in his office. You can find plenty of stories about it now. Media tried not to cover it originally, but the story had too much momentum. The number is now up to 15k potentially infected sent back to nursing homes, the deaths that stemmed from the infected being introduced back into nursing homes is no doubt uncountable. It is a big reason NY was one of the hardest hit elderly populations in the country. I've been pretty surprised that he wasn't thrown to the wolves by the Dems... not to mention the recent revelations of his sexual misconduct/scandals. He is a posterboy for what is wrong with American politics, yet he's still being protected. It's unfortunate.

            I don't know about the other stuff he mentioned.
            Oh no doubt...I'm fully aware of his massive dereliction of duty, and how disreputable media (including his own brother) did all that they could to shield him (of course, I don't blame his brother for helping him...he's family for crying out loud...just don't call yourself a journalist). Until, as you stated, it was far too big of a story for them to sanitize and continue to downplay.

            Just one of many tragic stories within the greater Covid story, where awareness is evenly split down ideological lines.
            To infinity...and beyond.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
              Thank you! I always appreciate your posts. I’m really hoping this time next year we have a decisive victory over Covid. Not just in the states but all countries dealing with the Pandemic.
              You know what's also pretty cool....not having to await a neg just because you offered your opinion on something. In a world where free speech should be valued, that's definite progress.





              Comment


              • It's getting a little too political. Please don't cross the line.

                Covid is / should be a health issue, not a political one.
                Administrator

                Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage

                Lupus Awareness

                "a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

                Comment


                • In terms of the truth in these fine times, I see media being an issue, but I also see an internet charged world where people sit around and seek out like minded people/groups. Another alarming aspect of life since Internet arrived, is how folks can now team up with others around the globe to share their nastiness, and in some cases, organize. I think we'd be surprised to see how many ordinary folks are online with others with bad intentions. It's too easy nowadays. Just find a creepy spot in the house/apartment and join a cult.

                  Anyway...as much as the truth is sometimes hard to find, maybe too many only look for the truth according to them.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                    In terms of the truth in these fine times, I see media being an issue, but I also see an internet charged world where people sit around and seek out like minded people/groups. Another alarming aspect of life since Internet arrived, is how folks can now team up with others around the globe to share their nastiness, and in some cases, organize. I think we'd be surprised to see how many ordinary folks are online with others with bad intentions. It's too easy nowadays. Just find a creepy spot in the house/apartment and join a cult.

                    Anyway...as much as the truth is sometimes hard to find, maybe too many only look for the truth according to them.
                    The truth is not hiding...it is just lots of people are trying to present their side of the truth to make it easy to find. They have all kinds of motivation to make it easy for people to see their version of the truth.

                    I have seen people say Boomers more than any population group fall under that category I bolded in your post. The cause is said to be Boomers are not comfortable with the various forms of new sources of information coming in from podcasts and youtube. They tend to stick with television news and radio news.

                    My personal opinion is it comes to the effort each person is wiling to put into it. When it comes to Avalanche or Nugget news I pretty much take whatever is the first thing to come to my attention and I am done with my efforts. When it comes to Broncos and the NFL in general I spend a lot more time looking for various sources. Lucky for me when it comes to the NFL there are lots of news sources. Trick is figuring out which ones just rehashing same popular news to get clicks/views/likes and which sources are actually taking them time to do some football research and present a unique critical thought.

                    I used sports as it should be easier example to follow. It holds true to all sources. We should pay attention to who is putting effort into their material, who is just rehashing popular material to try and feed their incentive structure. Try to determine which sources are ideologically motivated and who it taking the time to put together a well researched piece doing their best to present all sides of the story. Ultimately we all should know if we want the whole story we can not just stop at one or two sources. The more "truth" we want the more effort we are going to have to put into finding it. That includes looking at all sides of the story and taking a moment to consider maybe any side is the "truth"
                    Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Hadez View Post

                      The truth is not hiding...it is just lots of people are trying to present their side of the truth to make it easy to find. They have all kinds of motivation to make it easy for people to see their version of the truth.

                      I have seen people say Boomers more than any population group fall under that category I bolded in your post. The cause is said to be Boomers are not comfortable with the various forms of new sources of information coming in from podcasts and youtube. They tend to stick with television news and radio news.

                      My personal opinion is it comes to the effort each person is wiling to put into it. When it comes to Avalanche or Nugget news I pretty much take whatever is the first thing to come to my attention and I am done with my efforts. When it comes to Broncos and the NFL in general I spend a lot more time looking for various sources. Lucky for me when it comes to the NFL there are lots of news sources. Trick is figuring out which ones just rehashing same popular news to get clicks/views/likes and which sources are actually taking them time to do some football research and present a unique critical thought.

                      I used sports as it should be easier example to follow. It holds true to all sources. We should pay attention to who is putting effort into their material, who is just rehashing popular material to try and feed their incentive structure. Try to determine which sources are ideologically motivated and who it taking the time to put together a well researched piece doing their best to present all sides of the story. Ultimately we all should know if we want the whole story we can not just stop at one or two sources. The more "truth" we want the more effort we are going to have to put into finding it. That includes looking at all sides of the story and taking a moment to consider maybe any side is the "truth"
                      Well stated, my friend. Far too often, people put blinders on, and refuse to even acknowledge that which exists outside of their preferred worldview. Broncos news is a perfect example...literally everything/anything is either: orange glasses, sky is falling, or a combination of both (for those that try to seek out more of the story). Each one will claim to be the "truth," and each side has at least some merit.

                      All news details the same pattern, with bias intrinsic and woven into the narrative...and it's entirely up to the consumer of such info to do their due diligence. Or to put it another way...to be better informed, don't be lazy.
                      To infinity...and beyond.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Hadez View Post

                        The truth is not hiding...it is just lots of people are trying to present their side of the truth to make it easy to find. They have all kinds of motivation to make it easy for people to see their version of the truth.

                        I have seen people say Boomers more than any population group fall under that category I bolded in your post. The cause is said to be Boomers are not comfortable with the various forms of new sources of information coming in from podcasts and youtube. They tend to stick with television news and radio news.

                        My personal opinion is it comes to the effort each person is wiling to put into it. When it comes to Avalanche or Nugget news I pretty much take whatever is the first thing to come to my attention and I am done with my efforts. When it comes to Broncos and the NFL in general I spend a lot more time looking for various sources. Lucky for me when it comes to the NFL there are lots of news sources. Trick is figuring out which ones just rehashing same popular news to get clicks/views/likes and which sources are actually taking them time to do some football research and present a unique critical thought.

                        I used sports as it should be easier example to follow. It holds true to all sources. We should pay attention to who is putting effort into their material, who is just rehashing popular material to try and feed their incentive structure. Try to determine which sources are ideologically motivated and who it taking the time to put together a well researched piece doing their best to present all sides of the story. Ultimately we all should know if we want the whole story we can not just stop at one or two sources. The more "truth" we want the more effort we are going to have to put into finding it. That includes looking at all sides of the story and taking a moment to consider maybe any side is the "truth"
                        I am not aggressively looking for info every hour of every day, though it is agreed to that we should seek other opinions. To a point, for example I have no inclination to watch Fox anymore based on their track record.

                        But generally I seek out trustworthy reporters, those with their personal objectivity skin in the game. And if I watch/read an assortment of decent reporting, and not all tied to a party or an agenda, and the facts come out relatively similar, I feel pretty confident that I am getting a good read on the situation.

                        To those who are vulnerable and so naive as to believe things that are clearly manufactured, they become part of the problem. They need to gain some experience, mature and maybe learn how to do some research. Many of them are hooked onto their little devices, and often come across as poorly educated in the ways of the world, because they are affixed to whatever trickery comes directly to them.

                        It's not a new topic, but common sense is what's missing. If you buy everything that's being sold (in some places), you are bound to get some bad product. But that's on you. Here's one little off the cuff tip....if it's got any conspiracy to it, walk away. That's kind of a no brainer as they say.

                        OK, a question for you and any others who have a strong take on "the truth". How confident are you that you understand the truth? By commenting on this topic, does it automatically qualify you as being a truth whisperer? I am not saying you aren't, but I've read people saying the same things, and based on their views on certain things, I don't believe they understand the truth. But they would say they do.
                        Last edited by CanDB; 06-09-2021, 11:46 AM.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by CanDB View Post

                          OK, a question for you and any others who have a strong take on "the truth". How confident are you that you understand the truth? By commenting on this topic, does it automatically qualify you as being a truth whisperer? I am not saying you aren't, but I've read people saying the same things, and based on their views on certain things, I don't believe they understand the truth. But they would say they do.
                          I seriously don't understand why this is anything other than a slam-dunk assertion of reality. All news is biased. Period...the end.

                          To dwell on this further would only involve politics, and out of respect for the CoC, the mods, and all members/viewers of this message board, I will decline any further comment.
                          To infinity...and beyond.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Lumiere View Post

                            I seriously don't understand why this is anything other than a slam-dunk assertion of reality. All news is biased. Period...the end.

                            To dwell on this further would only involve politics, and out of respect for the CoC, the mods, and all members/viewers of this message board, I will decline any further comment.
                            My question is very simple. Do folks who have serious thoughts about what comprises the real truth in these times appreciate that they are possibly setting a higher standard for themselves...to know what the real truth is? It does not absolutely mean that, but by delving into "the truth about the truth", perhaps one must be pretty confident they know the divide line.

                            As for "all news is biased", I think that's a stretch. I know of a number of news folks who approach each topic with objectivity. They may not always be correct, but they try. That comment is like saying none of us are perfect. I suppose if you look closely, they may have a connection or two that may lead others to be believe they are biased. But I think that's much more true of certain people, who as you say are politically motivated.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by CanDB View Post

                              I am not aggressively looking for info every hour of every day, though it is agreed to that we should seek other opinions. To a point, for example I have no inclination to watch Fox anymore based on their track record.

                              But generally I seek out trustworthy reporters, those with their personal objectivity skin in the game. And if I watch/read an assortment of decent reporting, and not all tied to a party or an agenda, and the facts come out relatively similar, I feel pretty confident that I am getting a good read on the situation.

                              To those who are vulnerable and so naive as to believe things that are clearly manufactured, they become part of the problem. They need to gain some experience, mature and maybe learn how to do some research. Many of them are hooked onto their little devices, and often come across as poorly educated in the ways of the world, because they are affixed to whatever trickery comes directly to them.

                              It's not a new topic, but common sense is what's missing. If you buy everything that's being sold (in some places), you are bound to get some bad product. But that's on you. Here's one little off the cuff tip....if it's got any conspiracy to it, walk away. That's kind of a no brainer as they say.

                              OK, a question for you and any others who have a strong take on "the truth". How confident are you that you understand the truth? By commenting on this topic, does it automatically qualify you as being a truth whisperer? I am not saying you aren't, but I've read people saying the same things, and based on their views on certain things, I don't believe they understand the truth. But they would say they do.
                              On the first part...I personally pick and choose where my efforts go. When it comes to Nuggets or Avalanche the effort is very little for example. When it comes to the Broncos...lot more effort from me.

                              When it comes to Covid-19.....since I was still coming to work the whole time I pretty much put more effort into Covid-19 in 1 year than I have into nearly everything else my entire life.

                              "The Truth".....my opinion is write whatever I think in pencil. At anytime more information can come to shed light on something I was not aware of.
                              Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by CanDB View Post

                                My question is very simple. Do folks who have serious thoughts about what comprises the real truth in these times appreciate that they are possibly setting a higher standard for themselves...to know what the real truth is? It does not absolutely mean that, but by delving into "the truth about the truth", perhaps one must be pretty confident they know the divide line.

                                As for "all news is biased", I think that's a stretch. I know of a number of news folks who approach each topic with objectivity. They may not always be correct, but they try. That comment is like saying none of us are perfect. I suppose if you look closely, they may have a connection or two that may lead others to be believe they are biased. But I think that's much more true of certain people, who as you say are politically motivated.
                                IMO anything that comes from humans will have bias. It does not make it good or bad...it just means I should understand the bias as I take in the information. I need to be careful with any source that has a bias that aligns with me bias for many reasons.

                                Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X