Corona virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Joshua2585 View Post

So, apparently I was wrong and wanted to issue a correction... for whatever reason the media has focused on Katalin Kariko and have sadly dismissed the actual inventor/discoverer of the technology... Dr Robert Malone:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/histo...cle-card_title
    So are you saying Katalin Kariko was not instrumental in the discovery? Everything I read still gives her serious credit.

Comment

• Got my 2nd shot yesterday. I don't mind this sore upper arm one bit.

Early next week our family will all have had 2 doses. We've come a long way baby, since those dreadful days early last year, when doomsday was staring us down. Sadly, so many lives lost, sickness that may linger, delayed surgeries/procedures/observation, economic issues for masses of folks, educational setbacks and social time lost. But we can only move ahead. A good day seems to be near, for many of us.

Can't wait to see the kids up close and in person. Give 'em a hug. Coming soon!

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post
        Got my 2nd shot yesterday. I don't mind this sore upper arm one bit.

Early next week our family will all have had 2 doses. We've come a long way baby, since those dreadful days early last year, when doomsday was staring us down. Sadly, so many lives lost, sickness that may linger, delayed surgeries/procedures/observation, economic issues for masses of folks, educational setbacks and social time lost. But we can only move ahead. A good day seems to be near, for many of us.

Congrats Can. Full steam ahead in the world of "back to normal" at least as much as possible.
        Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

Got my 2nd shot yesterday. I don't mind this sore upper arm one bit.

Great news Can. Enjoy the family time.
          Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

• Thx Gents!!!

Hope you and your families/friends are all doing well!

Comment

• Well it's June 23rd 2021 and I'm randomly stopping by.

Hope everyone is doing better at this time, compare to exactly one year ago.

This thread and some of the conversations and debates has been a doozy to say the least...

Comment

• Originally posted by Peerless View Post
                Well it's June 23rd 2021 and I'm randomly stopping by.

Hope everyone is doing better at this time, compare to exactly one year ago.

This thread and some of the conversations and debates has been a doozy to say the least...
                Hey pal....I am happy to say that all my family have received double doses, and things look good.

This was a doozy. You were one of the smaller group that knew what they were talking about. I like to think some of us got it right, almost throughout. It always came down to a number of key steps for me:

1. Follow the guidance, including how to protect yourself and others around you (even if it was imperfect, given how unique this virus was)
                2. Folks needed to be tested, tested, tested...followed by tracing/control
                3. No matter the process implemented, one of the highest level goals was to keep "healthy" and operational, the hospitals and their many employees (alias..."stars")
                4. Internationally...develop a safe, proven vaccine
                5. Take your medicine when it became available

And then there's the homework part...make pandemic planning/strategy a high level priority. There could be more, and they could all be different.

Comment

• It has been an eye opener for me. Hundreds of hours watching/listening doctors and scientists talk about various opinions on treatments, preventions and the science behind it. Then I went back and watched/listened to some of them again because almost all of this is new and I had a hard time wrapping my head around it the first time.

As an essential worker I felt compelled to go deeper into COVID19 than anything else before in my lifetime.
                  Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

• Clearly the covid-19 pandemic had a significant impact on US life expectancy.

US life expectancy fell by more than a year during pandemic -- and lags behind other high-income nations, studies suggest - CNN

COVID-19 contributes the biggest decline in US life expectancy in decades (msn.com)

Here are some of the findings:

Covid-19 reduced overall 2020 life expectancy from 78.74 years to 77.43 years -- a reduction of 1.31 years, according to estimates from Theresa Andrasfay of the University of Southern California Leonard Davis School of Gerontology, and Noreen Goldman, a professor of demography at Princeton University.

They added that their findings suggest the virus is associated with continued decline in life expectancy in 2021. "COVID-19 deaths through early April 2021 already indicate an almost 0.6-year reduction in overall 2021

US life expectancy dropped about 1.9 years between 2018 and 2020 -- about 8.5 times more than the average drop of 0.2 years for the 16 high-income peer nations, the study found.

...for every death, a larger number of infected individuals experience acute illness, and many face long term health and life complications

Though some of the data is estimated, it does suggest that although older folks may have died from it and and some other illness (ie. flu), it does validate the fact the covid caused more deaths than in normal times. One can not say that these older folks were going to die anyway. The decline in life expectancy is far too significant.

And yes, there are many reasons for the results, and mental health issues were certainly part of the problem. But my take is that covid caused it. Therefore the criticality of controlling it as early as possible.

Comment

Clearly the covid-19 pandemic had a significant impact on US life expectancy.

US life expectancy fell by more than a year during pandemic -- and lags behind other high-income nations, studies suggest - CNN

COVID-19 contributes the biggest decline in US life expectancy in decades (msn.com)

Here are some of the findings:

Covid-19 reduced overall 2020 life expectancy from 78.74 years to 77.43 years -- a reduction of 1.31 years, according to estimates from Theresa Andrasfay of the University of Southern California Leonard Davis School of Gerontology, and Noreen Goldman, a professor of demography at Princeton University.

They added that their findings suggest the virus is associated with continued decline in life expectancy in 2021. "COVID-19 deaths through early April 2021 already indicate an almost 0.6-year reduction in overall 2021

US life expectancy dropped about 1.9 years between 2018 and 2020 -- about 8.5 times more than the average drop of 0.2 years for the 16 high-income peer nations, the study found.

...for every death, a larger number of infected individuals experience acute illness, and many face long term health and life complications

Though some of the data is estimated, it does suggest that although older folks may have died from it and and some other illness (ie. flu), it does validate the fact the covid caused more deaths than in normal times. One can not say that these older folks were going to die anyway. The decline in life expectancy is far too significant.

And yes, there are many reasons for the results, and mental health issues were certainly part of the problem. But my take is that covid caused it. Therefore the criticality of controlling it as early as possible.
                      How did deaths for suicide and overdose affect the numbers in 2020? I have seen multiple reports that both suicides and over doses were both high in 2020. Did not see a cause to suicides outside some assumed reasons but everyone is putting the overdoses on opioids.
                      Last edited by Hadez; 06-27-2021, 07:11 AM.

Comment

• I went to see F9 this weekend in LA. The theatre was packed. Almost a sell out. Only workers were required to wear a mask. Customers could go without a mask if they wanted.

While waiting for popcorn the line was huge. I did a quick count. 51 people in the line or in the area. 10 people did not have a mask on. This did not include the workers who are required to wear a mask.

So 41 out of 51 people wore a mask even when they did not have to at a theatre in LA County.
                        Last edited by Hadez; 06-27-2021, 07:12 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hadez View Post

How did deaths for suicide and overdose affect the numbers in 2020? I have seen multiple reports that both suicides and over doses were both high in 2020. Did not see a cause to suicides outside some assumed reasons but everyone is putting the overdoses on opioids.
                          I only mentioned suicides and other issues related to covid to prove I was not just blaming the deaths on covid itself, though mental health issues were a big part of the covid impact. But the key point, among other points, is that covid-19 was a killer of immense proportion, and needed to be respected as just that. This was not a case of "that old dude was going to die anyway." When a country's life expectancy drops that significantly. there is a serious source, and in this case, covid and all that came with it. Again, knowing that, the goal must always be to subdue such a killer.....and to transfer that consideration into the fact it may permanently damage many, many folks.

And one more key matter...countries must build pandemic planning/execution into their ongoing strategies, given variants are proving to be a worrisome related factor, plus there is a relatively significant chance that pandemics of this nature will be part of our future. Unpreparedness is not an answer.
                          Last edited by CanDB; 06-27-2021, 08:43 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                            I went to see F9 this weekend in LA. The theatre was packed. Almost a sell out. Only workers were required to wear a mask. Customers could go without a mask if they wanted.

While waiting for popcorn the line was huge. I did a quick count. 51 people in the line or in the area. 10 people did not have a mask on. This did not include the workers who are required to wear a mask.

So 41 out of 51 people wore a mask even when they did not have to at a theatre in LA County.
                            I think that's a smart thing. Watch those hockey crowds in some cities, and other events with lots of fans, and you will see an extremely high % of folks without masks on. And they are close to one another for hours, and are yelling and cheering with energy. Probably fueled by a few cold ones as well, which often gives folks a feeling of no pain.

Comment

• An Australian scientist who was the only foreigner at the Wuhan virus lab says she never got COVID-19 and doesn't believe the center leaked it (msn.com)

Says that the Australian scientist who worked there does not buy the "lab leak" theory. Just another angle in the case.

Comment

An Australian scientist who was the only foreigner at the Wuhan virus lab says she never got COVID-19 and doesn't believe the center leaked it (msn.com)

Says that the Australian scientist who worked there does not buy the "lab leak" theory. Just another angle in the case.
                                Would you want to think the place you worked at was responsible for leaking something that killed so many people and shut down the world for a year?

You do realize the conflict of interest involved in someone coming to terms with their work place may have caused one of the worse events in their lifetime?

I wonder what she has to say....if anything...of the bad practices at the Wujan Lab that caused the Obama Administration to cut off funding.

Comment

Working...
                                X