This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Peanut View Post

The bolded. Does that mean that the person who had the virus is protected from getting it again? I haven't read a lot about this.

If that's the case, someone should tell Lamar Jackson. He got it twice.
    From what I have seen about people getting Covid19 twice I am sure it is only a matter of time before fully vaccinated people get breakthrough cases more than once.

I posted in this thread a while ago...will dig it up if people do not remember....but there was a story of a guy who went into a coma before the Covid19 stuff started and he woke up nearly a year later. Course he needed to be explained things like why his family was not there, why was the world acting so much different...he also had to be told he got Covid19 twice while laying in a hospital bed in a coma.
    Lets Ride!

Comment

• Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
      There were comments about cases increasing in Canada based on a high vaccination rate essentially ending the pandemic. On August 9th there were 3,344 cases vs 230 the same day in 2020, a 14.5 fold increase in cases. As we’re well aware the vaccines were not available in August of last year.
      This is an interesting story (link below) about the Misinformation from Mainstream media on some of the covid19 stuff. In there is a slide that shows pretty clearly how when someone gets the Delta variant they are spreading it to more than twice as many people as past variants.

My only point is the concept of comparing positive cases can be tricky. Things can be easily missed by people not spending a lot of time on the subject. My head is spinning and I spend a lot of time trying to understand it.

Not going to imbed the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPfF4bHDwGM
      Lets Ride!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hadez View Post

Is this based on the vaccinated people per population data?

According to this chart they still have ways to go. I visited Israel for 2 months a long time ago and I also wonder if they have large areas of un-vaccinated people where vaccinated people go to regularly.

It is not exactly the same but to get the point across it would be like California having high vaccinated rated but the Indian Reservations having significantly lower rates.

Not talking about West Bank or Gaza (there are other areas of significantly different culturally different people inside Israel) but here is a article about Palestinians have much lower vaccination rates.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-57525252
        Yes, based on vaccinated people per population. Israel was 3rd yesterday with fully vaccinated and dropped to 5th today - usually this is related to timing when data is reported by country.

Health officials disclosed that as many as half of new cases are fully vaccinated (see below).

https://ourworldindata.org/explorers...TA~ARE~MEX~RUS

Israel says the Delta variant is infecting vaccinated people, representing as many as 50% of new cases. But they're less severe.

https://www.businessinsider.com/isra...re-2021-6?op=1

Comment

This is an interesting story (link below) about the Misinformation from Mainstream media on some of the covid19 stuff. In there is a slide that shows pretty clearly how when someone gets the Delta variant they are spreading it to more than twice as many people as past variants.

My only point is the concept of comparing positive cases can be tricky. Things can be easily missed by people not spending a lot of time on the subject. My head is spinning and I spend a lot of time trying to understand it.

Not going to imbed the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPfF4bHDwGM
          Emerging data indicates the picture is not as simple as vaccinated vs. unvaccinated. Israel is seeing ~50% of cases in vaccinated population and a significant number of hospitalized are fully vaccinated. This doesn't mean there isn't a benefit to the vaccines in reducing severe infections, rather an indication vaccines are challenged with the emergence of variants.

Lambda variant is taking hold in South America. One study from Japan (not peer reviewed) indicates the Lambda variant is resistant to vaccines.

Comment

From what I have seen about people getting Covid19 twice I am sure it is only a matter of time before fully vaccinated people get breakthrough cases more than once.

I posted in this thread a while ago...will dig it up if people do not remember....but there was a story of a guy who went into a coma before the Covid19 stuff started and he woke up nearly a year later. Course he needed to be explained things like why his family was not there, why was the world acting so much different...he also had to be told he got Covid19 twice while laying in a hospital bed in a coma.
            I do remember that post. Waking up to all this had to have been a shock.

I need a break again. And I think a break will benefit you all, too.

People are saying the same things over and over, talking in circles. And no one is listening to each other.

Will reopen later.
            Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

Lupus Awareness Month

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

• I hesitate to re-open this thread, but with football season almost over and the current situations with the virus, I think there might be a need (someone did approach me on this).

If you decide to post in this thread, please read the CoC. There are certain members who clearly do not like each other, in this thread and elsewhere. Post with respect. If you cannot do that, I would suggest that you bypass the subject. There have been 308 deleted posts. Not too many IPs given. That will change. Not a threat, just reality.

Now that I have given you all that nice, warm, fuzzy welcome back, I will re-open the thread and see how it goes.
              Administrator

Lupus Awareness Month

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

• We have someone living with us that has tested positive for Covid. It seems that she is over it and it hasn't spread to anyone else. That's a big praise.
                Administrator

Lupus Awareness Month

Comment

• OK....I'll dabble. Omicron is spreading like a wildfire. No version of covid has spread at this rate. This is the first time I actually know of people getting it.

Fortunately, we have had two vaccines and a booster.

It's early but I believe this version, though very fast spreading, might be short lived, and seems less potent. Hopefully it has a short life, and we can finally move on. Then again, I am not an expert and I fear for the well being of those who get it, and possibly get quite ill. Also, I worry about all the delayed surgeries and medical treatment that goes lacking, and causes more illness as a result.

Stay safe!

Last edited by CanDB; 01-05-2022, 02:38 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Peanut View Post
                    I hesitate to re-open this thread, but with football season almost over and the current situations with the virus, I think there might be a need (someone did approach me on this).

If you decide to post in this thread, please read the CoC. There are certain members who clearly do not like each other, in this thread and elsewhere. Post with respect. If you cannot do that, I would suggest that you bypass the subject. There have been 308 deleted posts. Not too many IPs given. That will change. Not a threat, just reality.

Now that I have given you all that nice, warm, fuzzy welcome back, I will re-open the thread and see how it goes.
                    I didn't open this thread so that people can throw accusations around. No pointing fingers. No blame-shifting.

Respectful conversations. Think we can do that?
                    Administrator

Lupus Awareness Month

Comment

• Every year, my wife and I go up to the UP for Christmas and New Years celebration to celebrate with her family and extended family.

This year, we didn't go (for obvious reasons).

A: My wife is due at the end of Jan, so if she somehow would have went into labor during our six hour drive - it wouldn't be an ideal situation as it's our first newborn.

B: The increasing surge that WI is facing in + COVID cases (even though we both are vaxxed + boosted).

Her parents (both unvaxxed) went, which I didn't agree with. Why? Well, her dad (love him - super nice guy) is due for an elective hip replacement surgery on 1/8. He's got a pretty noticeable limp and is in pain when ambulating. I told them (especially her dad) - you've been waiting for MONTHS to get on an elective surgery list and finally have a date after NYE. Do you really want to risk it?

Well they did.

They went up, the entire family had fun, and they came back that Sunday evening after NYE.

The next AM - my wife and I wake up to a text message from her mom that she woke up overnight with a fever, body aches, bad cough, and lethargy and tested + for COVID.

Later that day, we're informed that an aunt who was there, along with her son also tested + for COVID.

Later that night, my father in law got the symptoms - tested - and was + for COVID. We also got word that basically everyone who was up there is + for COVID. Most are unvaxxed, minus a few.

Throughout the next day, he reported it to his clinic and surgeon and guess what? His surgery was cancelled on 1/8, and moved now to the end of January (when our newborn is due to be born).

He's upset that his surgery got cancelled because he had all these things setup through his work with time off, sick time, vacation, etc. But he doesn't realize that - the hospitals (inpatient and outpatient) are under stress from a census standpoint, but also hugely from a staffing standpoint.

He, along with my mother in law - should have stayed home. Now he's got to wait a little longer, be in a little more pain. Possibly be in instant recovery mode when his grandson is also born..

There is also further risk that his surgery could get bumped AGAIN, as my hospital is really cracking down and postponing elective surgeries.

It sucks, he vented to me, and I didn't get into a debate with him. But, he chose what to do - and is now facing the repercussions of his decision.

Comment

• Peerless - congrats on the upcoming new family member!

Sorry that your family is going through this, even if it's consequences of their own choices. Hope they all recover swiftly.

Comment

• I think of the current situation almost exactly the same way I have from the very beginning. Be wise. Respect yourself and those around you, and do your best to minimize hospitalizations (and even worse, deaths). I strongly recommend vaccines and boosters, and whatever else the medical community recommends we do. Who am I or anyone else to know better?

Sorry Brent. What you say lends to my other concerns. I know of too many people who need surgery. Life is too short to be waiting and hoping. Delays could cause death. But even in a less serious vein, so many folks are suffering, or worried, or a combination of the two. And they are looking for alternatives because one's pain and worries are not for others to judge. And some of this is pretty close to home.

The reason for delays, postponements, marginal information stems from the virus. But not because of the virus so much as some folks deciding their way is ok. And it's not. They should step back and think how awful life would be if on a long waiting list for an important surgery.

And from what I can tell, though Omicron seems less potent, apparently a lot of "healthy" folks are having issues with it.

Be wise. Be respectful.

Comment

• My opinion after 2 years of this:
                            1. Covid is gonna be part of our lives, need to learn how to live with it.

2. Protect the 90% that are hospitalized and die from this virus and that is the elderly and those with underlying conditions.

3. Make tests available. They should be like bandaids in every household.

4. Get vaccinated and boosters if you can. And by Can I mean it's something your comfortable with, in some cases make the sacrifice if it means you could help others, end of the day your choice should not be forced on anyone.

5. Allow doctors to do their job and use the treatments and therapies that they have had success with.

6. The majority of people are more concerned with being right than knowing the truth. Opinions have been silenced, only to later be true and nobody cares. Sad!
                            Last edited by 58Miller; 01-07-2022, 09:47 AM.
                            sigpic

Comment

• My opinion which more than likely will be unpopular, just stop testing. Anyone with any kind of symptom just continue to test which keeps the numbers inflated. If you are to the point you feel you need hospital help then go. The VAST majority of the people who are getting sick are just dealing with mild symptoms much like a cold. If you are feeling symptoms just STAY HOME!!, otherwise let's move on with life.

Comment

• My gut tells me that most of us feel roughly the same as before, with some minor adaptation.

One surprising thing happened here of late. We have an emergency situation because of a shortage of police, due to covid. Not sure I can remember that ever happening here before.

Comment

Working...
                                X