Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure how many self-tests go unreported. However my wife and I tested positive with antigen self-test last week (breakthrough cases after previously having Covid and vaccinated). We didn’t report the results to anyone - work of course as we follow quarantine, but the information doesn’t go any further.

We’re just two people that didn’t show up in the data. Very mild symptoms, just sniffles. Symptom free in a few days.

How many more people are out there just like us I have no idea.

Comment

• Friend of our family needed a test for their mom and I located one to help them. She tested positive as well and that wasn’t reported - they are monitoring her symptoms.

Colleague from work positive with a self-test. Recovered fine.

That’s four positive tests in my small circle.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
        Friend of our family needed a test for their mom and I located one to help them. She tested positive as well and that wasn’t reported - they are monitoring her symptoms.

Colleague from work positive with a self-test. Recovered fine.

That’s four positive tests in my small circle.
        Colleague was vaccinated and boosted and took four tests to get a positive result over the course of a week (PCR and antigen tests). Generally takes a higher viral load for positive antigen tests - surprised the PCR didn’t pickup the virus sooner.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post
          Australia is seeing the same, unfortunately. The state I live in is one of the most vaccinated places in the world per capita (over 93%), yet also one of the most infected places in the world per capita, turns out it didn't end with each vaccinated person, who would of thought that? I actually think we were highlighting that data trend with rising case numbers in Canada despite high vaccination rates when Delta had emerged and this thread was still open, plenty of data to highlight that as fact now.
          An example of Covid spread among vaccinated people was the recent docking of the USS Milwaukee in Guantanamo Bay. The Navy confirmed 100% of the crew of ~100 were fully vaccinated, with ~25% testing positive. The current vaccines do not prevent the spread of Covid - the CDC here in the U.S. has acknowledged this fact.

Comment

• Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post
            My opinion which more than likely will be unpopular, just stop testing. Anyone with any kind of symptom just continue to test which keeps the numbers inflated. If you are to the point you feel you need hospital help then go. The VAST majority of the people who are getting sick are just dealing with mild symptoms much like a cold. If you are feeling symptoms just STAY HOME!!, otherwise let's move on with life.
            The consensus among healthcare providers is that people should not wait until they need to be hospitalized. Depending on pre-existing co-morbidities and age, providers can treat people earlier to prevent hospitalization (vaccinated or unvaccinated). There are multiple treatments available targeted for early treatment. Some people can simply stay home and treat according to their provider’s recommendations. Others require additional treatment to prevent hospitalization.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
              Not sure how many self-tests go unreported. However my wife and I tested positive with antigen self-test last week (breakthrough cases after previously having Covid and vaccinated). We didn’t report the results to anyone - work of course as we follow quarantine, but the information doesn’t go any further.

We’re just two people that didn’t show up in the data. Very mild symptoms, just sniffles. Symptom free in a few days.

How many more people are out there just like us I have no idea.
              Glad you and your wife are doing well.

The person living with us that tested positive was a self-test and was not reported. I'm sure there are a lot like that.
              Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

Lupus Awareness Month

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

My opinion which more than likely will be unpopular, just stop testing. Anyone with any kind of symptom just continue to test which keeps the numbers inflated. If you are to the point you feel you need hospital help then go. The VAST majority of the people who are getting sick are just dealing with mild symptoms much like a cold. If you are feeling symptoms just STAY HOME!!, otherwise let's move on with life.
                It’s unpopular cause it’s foolish logic. You test so that those who are positive and asymptomatic don’t keep spreading it. This isn’t the cold nor should it be treated as such.

maybe we should stop arresting people for murder. Arresting murderers just keeps the murder rate inflated.

Comment

• Originally posted by Locutus View Post

It’s unpopular cause it’s foolish logic. You test so that those who are positive and asymptomatic don’t keep spreading it. This isn’t the cold nor should it be treated as such.

maybe we should stop arresting people for murder. Arresting murderers just keeps the murder rate inflated.
                  One of the challenges with self-testing is accuracy, not necessarily from the test itself. If the person doesn’t swab correctly there won’t be enough sample. Or the test can be contaminated from poor handling. Also the antigen self-test requires a higher viral load because it is made to measure proteins, compared with virus RNA with the PCR test.

From recent experience we were symptomatic and tested negative on two consecutive days before getting a positive on the third day. If a person gets the negative test then they’re more likely going to go to work or grocery store, etc.

To your point though if someone test they can catch being positive and not go anywhere. Just a lot of variables with testing.

Comment

• I would really implore everyone to keep this thread open by being respectful. I’m guilty of not taking that approach. We can all learn something from each even with strong disagreements on some aspects of the pandemic. The pandemic led immense amounts of stress and worse, loss of life.

It’s nice to have this thread to exchange thoughts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Peanut View Post

Glad you and your wife are doing well.

The person living with us that tested positive was a self-test and was not reported. I'm sure there are a lot like that.
                      Thanks and hope the person living with you all is fine and that you all remain fine.

I hadn’t thought about whether or not self-tests can be reported.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post

Hey 58. Just a little more on this topic. I was listening to an interesting travel industry discussion this morning, and it was stated that Canada's case rate remains lower than that of The US. I'll admit, the stats are getting harder to justify and understand if folks are doing rapid testing, because those numbers do not get back to the data centers. Plus rapid tests are not as accurate. Anyway, it is quite likely that Canada's rate per million is no worse, though I could be wrong and will definitely appreciate any info that verifies the fact. But carrying on, I believe the travel guidance is not so much about how bad we are doing in relative terms, but that it is not wise to travel because it makes it difficult to keep a handle on our own countries, especially when others are not faring so well. I think that standards are different, possibly, and even agendas. Countries have different approaches to many things.

In Canada we've stopped many sports events, weeks back, and for sure have gone back to no fans in the stands at best. In The US I see large crowds and lacking of masks. It's not for me to criticize that behaviour, but I am trying to tie it back to the "high-risk" travel label. I think both countries are trying to deal with another fast surge of a different strain, and doing it the way they see best. So not to defend Canada's situation or to try to convince anyone to fly here in the meantime, but I really think this ruling is based on how we apply our rulings, not because they are standardized.

But again, my suggestion to anyone, anywhere,,,,do not be surprised if Omicron reaches your destination and with some significant speed. We were hearing about it abroad and then within weeks it was all over the place. And again, not to take anything away from this strain, because it can be lethal, but I am hopeful that like many believe, it will pass fairly quickly and not be as punishing on average.

Finally, it always comes down to a few things....one of them being, lets try to minimize hospital cases, and ease the load on the medical community. They've been far too taxed.
                        I posted this recently. My assumption is that rapid test data is not getting back to the data collectors. How could it be? You take a home test and you tell who? Plus as I mentioned, rapid tests are not as accurate. (see bolded)

So you take all of that into account, maybe guestimate if you want to try to put a handle on it, and proceed.

This is because Omicron is highly infectious, and the line ups to get tested are overwhelming the system. Not enough resources to manage and monitor when the virus travels so much faster. But that's countered by the fact that health officials believe Omicron is less potent than Delta, and if you have analyzed the results so far, you probably know a number of people who have got the virus, but who are doing fairly well, likely with milder symptoms. Caution however, not in all cases. Therefore in a situation where it is almost impossible to keep up with PCR testing, rapid tests are being advised as a good backup plan, and that you self isolate if your test is positive.

It's not perfect, and the data is not accurate in terms of cases and so forth, but if you are caught in a tornado's path, you don't carry on with your picnic.

Comment

• I would like acknowledgement that the vaccine does NOT stop the spread of covid. It's a fact and the CDC admits it. If a person has natural immunity (like myself) they should NOT be forced to inject anything into their bodies they aren't comfortable with. The lies need to stop!! Getting the shot helps you and nobody else. This attack on unvaccinated needs to stop. It's worse than political and religious beliefs that separate us. I just seen an article saying that over half of a certain political side wants camp's for the unvaxed.....camps!! Where is the love? Why the hate??

Comment

I would like acknowledgement that the vaccine does NOT stop the spread of covid. It's a fact and the CDC admits it. If a person has natural immunity (like myself) they should NOT be forced to inject anything into their bodies they aren't comfortable with. The lies need to stop!! Getting the shot helps you and nobody else. This attack on unvaccinated needs to stop. It's worse than political and religious beliefs that separate us. I just seen an article saying that over half of a certain political side wants camp's for the unvaxed.....camps!! Where is the love? Why the hate??
                            Not going to tell you what to think..and not that it may matter to you..but almost every person in my "large circle" thinks that the unvaccinated are on the wrong side of history (unless they have a medical reason or something uniquely warranted).

I'll park that.

Not going to argue, because this thread might not last long if we go back to the same ole same ole.

As for lies....depends what you consider to be lies. If you are correct about lies, there are two sides to that story.

Comment

• It's getting harder and harder to trust that anyone has a clue on what to do. I don't expect it to ever happen either.

I just returned from an Auto Show in SLC- where they are now under mask mandate again. You needed to be masked up to enter the show but welcomed to open the car doors, adjust the seats and radio and basically touch every button that does something.....but only if your masked of course.
                              Outside in the test drive area there was someone who would spray some fine mist in the general area of the driver's seat after getting out, but again the actual touched surfaces like the steering wheel, seat adjust, the mirrors, the radio, the heater, sunroofs, seatbelts etc etc nothing.

I'm one of those mentioned that doesn't have a clue what to do, but to me it comes back to those that are high risk or CLOSE by that need to make the extra effort. We can't rely on everyone else to know what our situation is. No different than what I do to keep others safe by not driving when there is another option. I don't have a restriction on my license, but I do have epilepsy. I can drive everywhere, but I know it's MY responsibility to be the safest I can because there is always a chance. It doesn't matter if it's epilepsy or a peanut allergy, those of us at risk accept the challenges we face- we have to. If you are older or in a higher risk situation with someone nearby, this challenge is mostly for us.....as no one will ever be on the same page.
                              ​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by atwaterandstir View Post
                                It's getting harder and harder to trust that anyone has a clue on what to do. I don't expect it to ever happen either.

I just returned from an Auto Show in SLC- where they are now under mask mandate again. You needed to be masked up to enter the show but welcomed to open the car doors, adjust the seats and radio and basically touch every button that does something.....but only if your masked of course.
                                Outside in the test drive area there was someone who would spray some fine mist in the general area of the driver's seat after getting out, but again the actual touched surfaces like the steering wheel, seat adjust, the mirrors, the radio, the heater, sunroofs, seatbelts etc etc nothing.

I'm one of those mentioned that doesn't have a clue what to do, but to me it comes back to those that are high risk or CLOSE by that need to make the extra effort. We can't rely on everyone else to know what our situation is. No different than what I do to keep others safe by not driving when there is another option. I don't have a restriction on my license, but I do have epilepsy. I can drive everywhere, but I know it's MY responsibility to be the safest I can because there is always a chance. It doesn't matter if it's epilepsy or a peanut allergy, those of us at risk accept the challenges we face- we have to. If you are older or in a higher risk situation with someone nearby, this challenge is mostly for us.....as no one will ever be on the same page.
                                ​​​​​
                                I see your side. Well said.

But I do stick by one belief....whether healthy or not healthy, logic tells you that being vaccinated has been the better approach to this from day one. Not because it minimizes the spread, but because it minimizes hospitalizations. That has always been a critical factor of success or failure. It ties up resources - people and equipment. It prevents many of us from getting that much needed surgery, or just a scan or even a simple appointment, that may turn out to be a life changing delayed event. I can expand but that's the gist of it.

And I still don't accept that the "healthy" are not subject to illness and hospitalization theory. I do believe though that better health is better for all things. But even so, in the first year or more, healthy types were saying they were fine, and therefore did not restrict their movement, which without doubt infected many innocent folks along the way, perhaps led to hospitalizations and even death.

Comment

Working...
                                X