X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jazzbodog
    replied
    Originally posted by Hadez View Post
    Not sure if anyone paying attention but the Lab Leak Theory is picking up a lot of steam. Some people say there is more evidence to support that theory than the Animal Transfer Theory.
    Theories are just that, theories. I watch several major news networks every day. I haven't heard of this "theory".

Where's the verifiable, scientific, authentic, provable evidence / data?

Leave a comment:

• Hadez
    replied
    Not sure if anyone paying attention but the Lab Leak Theory is picking up a lot of steam. Some people say there is more evidence to support that theory than the Animal Transfer Theory.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    For the first time in some time, I realize that my country is slipping badly with another wave. The US in my opinion is doing pretty good as a result of their rapid vaccination roll out. Not to say they don't have any issues in select areas. My main concern here is that it appears we allowed a number of travelers to land here, while testing positive. Not even sure how that happened, given the criticality of this new wave. I am not sure how many were variant carriers, but I believe some are.

But my suggestion to any country is to respect these variants even more. They spread at a different speed!

It also confirms my belief that Canada has a high % of urban areas making it as likely to spread as almost any country, and that when we were taking it very seriously it was the right thing to do....even here in my smaller province.

Leave a comment:

• 58Miller
    replied
    Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post

While this article is 2-3 months old, it points out that it's not totally the older, unhealthy people driving the Covid pandemic. More recent CDC updates show the amount of younger people are driving up new cases even more now than a few month ago. There are more articles that support this data. Remember, I'm talking about what's happening TODAY, not 2020. You need to get out of the past into the present.

One age group is responsible for nearly half of new cases of COVID-19, study shows

Korin Miller
    February 2, 2021·5 min read

For months, public health officials have said that younger adults have been big drivers of the spread of COVID-19 in the U.S. But new research suggests there’s another age group that may be fueling new cases of the virus: people ages 35 to 49.

That’s the conclusion of a just-released study from the U.K.’s Imperial College London. The study, which was published in the journal Science, analyzed mobility data from the cellphones of more than 10 million Americans between early February and late October 2020. Among other things, the data helped researchers determine where people went, like restaurants and grocery stores. The researchers then compared that data to COVID-19 case and mortality rates by age.

The researchers concluded in the study that the “majority of COVID-19 infections” originate from people between the ages of 20 and 49, but people between 35 and 49 were responsible for 41.1 percent of new cases of the virus. Those in their late thirties and forties driving the spread of the virus was consistent across the country, the researchers said in the study, but “estimated contributions” of people between 20 and 34 were higher in the Southern, Southwestern and Western regions of the United States.

I believe you said young healthy people were being hospitalized ?

younger, sun loving, Vitamin D popping, healthy gym rats, party animals that are leading the way into hospitals.

What's up 58M?????
    The article you shared, is about age groups that’s are spreading the virus. I didn’t see anything about them leading the way into the hospitals.

78% of the people going to the hospital are obese and/ or overweight. Regardless of age.

You can focus on keeping people 5yrs old through 49 inside like many states have attempted for the last year. I believe it is a better plan to protect the elderly, people with underlying conditions, and overweight/ obese people who are the group that account for 95% of the hospitalizations and deaths from Covid. Encourage them to lockdown and quarantine, and if they want to, provide resources to help them lose weight.

Lack of discipline is the issue with obese, overweight, and the group of young party people you mentioned.

Leave a comment:

• jazzbodog
    replied
    Originally posted by 58Miller View Post

can you share the article that says young healthy people are the ones filling hospitals not overweight and obese?
    • About 78% of people who have been hospitalized, needed a ventilator or died from Covid-19 have been overweight or obese, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in a new study Monday.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/08/covi...-or-obese.html
    While this article is 2-3 months old, it points out that it's not totally the older, unhealthy people driving the Covid pandemic. More recent CDC updates show the amount of younger people are driving up new cases even more now than a few month ago. There are more articles that support this data. Remember, I'm talking about what's happening TODAY, not 2020. You need to get out of the past into the present.

One age group is responsible for nearly half of new cases of COVID-19, study shows

Korin Miller
    February 2, 2021·5 min read

For months, public health officials have said that younger adults have been big drivers of the spread of COVID-19 in the U.S. But new research suggests there’s another age group that may be fueling new cases of the virus: people ages 35 to 49.

That’s the conclusion of a just-released study from the U.K.’s Imperial College London. The study, which was published in the journal Science, analyzed mobility data from the cellphones of more than 10 million Americans between early February and late October 2020. Among other things, the data helped researchers determine where people went, like restaurants and grocery stores. The researchers then compared that data to COVID-19 case and mortality rates by age.

The researchers concluded in the study that the “majority of COVID-19 infections” originate from people between the ages of 20 and 49, but people between 35 and 49 were responsible for 41.1 percent of new cases of the virus. Those in their late thirties and forties driving the spread of the virus was consistent across the country, the researchers said in the study, but “estimated contributions” of people between 20 and 34 were higher in the Southern, Southwestern and Western regions of the United States.

Leave a comment:

• 58Miller
    replied

I saw on the national news today (not Fox fake news) that nearly half of the states in America are now experiencing strong increases with Covid infections and strangely for some unexplainable reasons it's not all "older fat people" that gorge on bacon cheese burgers, onion rings, milkshakes and cinna-buns every day and rarely go outside but are younger, sun loving, Vitamin D popping, healthy gym rats, party animals that are leading the way into hospitals.

What's up 58M?????
    can you share the article that says young healthy people are the ones filling hospitals not overweight and obese?
    • About 78% of people who have been hospitalized, needed a ventilator or died from Covid-19 have been overweight or obese, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in a new study Monday.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/08/covi...-or-obese.html

Leave a comment:

• jazzbodog
    replied

The government has decided to tell people what they can and can’t do. They have told people who is essential and who is not. Millions have lost their jobs, businesses, and homes due to these decisions.

If the government wants to control us why not start with the unhealthy lifestyles they are raking tax dollars in from. They don’t allow kids to go to school cause it’s not safe but allow people to buy cigarettes?

I don’t believe it is an easy fix, but I don’t think masks, socially distancing is enough.
    i also don’t believe shutting down gyms is helping.
    I saw on the national news today (not Fox fake news) that nearly half of the states in America are now experiencing strong increases with Covid infections and strangely for some unexplainable reasons it's not all "older fat people" that gorge on bacon cheese burgers, onion rings, milkshakes and cinna-buns every day and rarely go outside but are younger, sun loving, Vitamin D popping, healthy gym rats, party animals that are leading the way into hospitals.

What's up 58M?????
    Last edited by jazzbodog; 04-17-2021, 07:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    58....I do read and hear that obesity is a serious factor with regard to this virus. Never do I doubt the validity of your health related comments. My stance though, in an emergency (which this can be, especially if you are exposed to the virus, or expose others to it), is to do what you can as quickly as you can to manage the situation. Going forward, folks should all do their best in terms of nutrition and exercise. It will likely extend their quality and length of life, and protect them from possible future pandemics of this nature. But it's not easy for some, who deal with other issues, and as we have discussed, it is not an off/on switch that will quickly change a person's protection from covid-19.

So as long as you understand where some of us are coming from, I am quite sure we all understand your views about the value of good health. Eat well, exercise if you can, and catch some rays in wide open outdoor spaces.

Leave a comment:

• 58Miller
    replied

You state people with poor diets should immediately do whatever it takes to become healthy. People are products of their environment. If mommy and daddy have horrible diets how do you think their children will behave. Do you think their children will demand healthy food at a young age and proclaim they are sick and tired of Arby's, McDonalds and gallons of soda pop? That they will only accept lots of fresh vegetables and fruits and small portions of red meat or they will run away from home and live in a village of vegans because a terrible pandemic might show up in the future and they will require a strong immune system to not get sick and die.

Clueless thinking and totally unrealistic.

The government has decided to tell people what they can and can’t do. They have told people who is essential and who is not. Millions have lost their jobs, businesses, and homes due to these decisions.

If the government wants to control us why not start with the unhealthy lifestyles they are raking tax dollars in from. They don’t allow kids to go to school cause it’s not safe but allow people to buy cigarettes?

I don’t believe it is an easy fix, but I don’t think masks, socially distancing is enough.
    i also don’t believe shutting down gyms is helping.

Leave a comment:

• 58Miller
    replied

So you're saying "too bad for them". They should have been born strong and healthy like me. Survival of the fittest right? Why help the weak, that's their problem.

No, I believe we should protect the weak, educate them on the effects of their lifestyles.

The policies in New York nursing homes had the “ too bad for them” policy not me.

The total number of nursing home patients who died from COVID-19 is 13,163 with nearly one-third dying in a hospital.

Leave a comment:

• 58Miller
    replied

You state: Eating better regardless of how you decide that, getting exercise, efficient sleep, and vitamin D is a much better plan than wearing a mask and socially distancing.

I wear a mask at work all day and when I am out in public. I will continue to do so until others feel safe enough for society to stop wearing mask.

Currently states that have
    ifted mask mandates are not in worse condition than those that haven’t ( see: Michigan & Texas

The CDC has admitted face masks do little to prevent the spread of COVID-19 amid mounting pressure to lift mask mandates across the U.S. In a new study, the CDC found face masks had a negligible impact on coronavirus numbers that didn’t exceed statistical margins of error.

The study found that between March and December 2020, face mask orders reduced infection rates by 1.5 percent over the rolling periods of two months each. The masks were 0.5 percent effective in the first 20 days of the mandates and less than 2 percent effective after 100 days.

I do believe people that are obese or overweight would increase their chances against Covid and have a better quality of life.

CDC agrees:

Adults with excess weight are at even greater risk during the COVID-19 pandemic:

Leave a comment:

• jazzbodog
    replied
    Everyone is responsible for themselves. It’s not my place to tell people how to protect themselves. Eating better regardless of how you decide that, getting exercise, efficient sleep, and vitamin D is a much better plan than wearing a mask and socially distancing.

The research, led by the Murdoch Children's Research Institute (MCRI) and The University of Queensland and published in Diabetes Care, found obese or overweight patients are at high risk for having worse COVID-19 outcomes. They are also more likely to require oxygen and invasive mechanical ventilation compared to those with a healthy weight.
    You state: Eating better regardless of how you decide that, getting exercise, efficient sleep, and vitamin D is a much better plan than wearing a mask and socially distancing.

Good plan for the future, does not prevent sickness and death today. Until society, hundreds of millions of people, get very healthy, we all need to wear masks and socially distance.

You are basically saying "why close the barn door now after the majority of the animals have escaped". Extremely flawed thinking. Do the remaining animals in the barn have any value and worth keeping? Come on man, engage your common sense.

You're not informing anybody regarding who is at high risk for sickness and death. Everyone knows obesity is not healthy including the many other underlying health challenges humans face.
    Many humans have challenging medical issues that started at birth or were developed sometime during their life that have nothing to do with poor diet, lack of exercise, etc.

So you're saying "too bad for them". They should have been born strong and healthy like me. Survival of the fittest right? Why help the weak, that's their problem. You state people with poor diets should immediately do whatever it takes to become healthy. People are products of their environment. If mommy and daddy have horrible diets how do you think their children will behave. Do you think their children will demand healthy food at a young age and proclaim they are sick and tired of Arby's, McDonalds and gallons of soda pop? That they will only accept lots of fresh vegetables and fruits and small portions of red meat or they will run away from home and live in a village of vegans because a terrible pandemic might show up in the future and they will require a strong immune system to not get sick and die.

Last edited by jazzbodog; 04-15-2021, 05:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 58Miller
    replied
    Originally posted by CanDB View Post

If I need to go out for any reason, "wear a mask and socially distancing". Oh by the way, in my condo it is mandatory I wear a mask outside our suite. So yah, I'm leaning that way in these specific times. Even if I do not agree with the mandate, I have to. If I tell them "but I'm very healthy", I might get kicked out, and my wife and dog would be very upset with me!!
    Good answer! Always go with the choice that keeps the wife and kids ( dogs included) happy!

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    If you could choose between being at a healthy weight or wearing a mask and social distancing. Which would you choose?

I did not tell anyone to not wear a mask?

From what I’m reading wearing a masks and telling people to wear masks is the best thing ever!!!!! Mentioning that 50% of the people hospitalized and dying from Covid are obese is just not possible and shouldn’t be
    mentioned!!!!! Either we care about saving lives or we don’t.

Why are states that have lifted mask mandates numbers going down and states like Michigan being hit so hard with mask mandates still?
    If I need to go out for any reason, "wear a mask and socially distancing". Oh by the way, in my condo it is mandatory I wear a mask outside our suite. So yah, I'm leaning that way in these specific times. Even if I do not agree with the mandate, I have to. If I tell them "but I'm very healthy", I might get kicked out, and my wife and dog would be very upset with me!!

Leave a comment:

• 58Miller
    replied
    Originally posted by CanDB View Post

So 58, you are saying that "healthy" folks might as well be given the freedom to not social distance, or wear masks, or follow recommended pandemic related guidelines...because they have a better plan? I think that a smart, "healthy" person would be wise to take this thing very seriously, wear a mask when in public places, social distance, etc....because one mistake could be detrimental to all those years of smart living. Maybe they think they are "healthy' and then find out the hard way that they have a condition of some sort. or like folks who often get braver and braver in certain situations, maybe they start minimizing the steps they take to keep themselves safe. Or maybe in light of their "healthiness" they forget that they are too close to others who may be vulnerable, and spread the virus, thinking all is well in their world.

Sorry buddy, but solving a pandemic does not come from overnight "healthy" measures. There is a better way, for quicker results. And vaccines are now likely the best solution, along with continued safe practices.

No one is going to argue about being "healthy". But even at that, lets be cognizant of the fact that a relatively high % of folks try and try to be healthier, and sometimes have difficulties in achieving what some do. And you certainly can not expect folks in a pandemic, who have issues to deal with, possibly stress that they have trouble managing, to suddenly become nutrition/exercise experts.

But if they get vaccinated, wear masks when required, keep their distance, wash up and be respectful of others....in my books they are doing pretty good.
    If you could choose between being at a healthy weight or wearing a mask and social distancing. Which would you choose?

I did not tell anyone to not wear a mask?

From what I’m reading wearing a masks and telling people to wear masks is the best thing ever!!!!! Mentioning that 50% of the people hospitalized and dying from Covid are obese is just not possible and shouldn’t be
    mentioned!!!!! Either we care about saving lives or we don’t.

Why are states that have lifted mask mandates numbers going down and states like Michigan being hit so hard with mask mandates still?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X