Corona virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    Locally we’ve had a couple of grocery workers quit because people were very rude about some of the short term shortages. Just because a grocery store is essential doesn’t give people the right to be rude to the workers. As time goes on with the shut down, some workers might reach a point when they say, “Why should I continue working while most everyone else is at home.”

Although some stores are paying workers extra along with small bonuses it cannot makeup for the extra risk, long hours and some of the rude customers.

There will be a tipping point when people have had enough.
    My nearby store just closed down as customers were really rude and acting entitled to ladies still working,, so the rest of us now have to travel 10x as far because people can’t be decent and accept things are changed for now.,

:thumb:
    Last edited by EddieMac; 04-12-2020, 04:04 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

• The great news is that I am really enjoying the family chats on FaceTime, etc. I am really getting to know my daughter's BF, from The USA. Such a good young man! Tomorrow will be another family call, with my other child and her partner in crime. And my boys are thinking about a call this week.

This is a time to talk to loved ones, read, try new things. And learn.

Mostly, to respect the resiliency and fortitude of humans. And to be optimistic, though it is hard to forget who we lost. In their honour we should do our best to really "live", and to appreciate what we have.

Comment

• Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
        My nearby store just closed down as customers were really rude and acting entitled to ladies still working,, so the rest of us now have to travel 10x as far because people can’t be decent and accept things are changed for now.,

:thumb:
        We’ve been fortunate thus far with only that small incident with a couple of employees quitting. Our local butcher has been in overdrive so several customers have gotten together to get pizza and other goodies for the staff. We’ve delivered brownies and homemade energy bites to the nurses we know. Many more examples of people doing the right things. It’s unfortunate about the store near you.

Comment

We’ve been fortunate thus far with only that small incident with a couple of employees quitting. Our local butcher has been in overdrive so several customers have gotten together to get pizza and other goodies for the staff. We’ve delivered brownies and homemade energy bites to the nurses we know. Many more examples of people doing the right things. It’s unfortunate about the store near you.
          Up the valley from where I am is know for the really independent, anti authority folks... not a terrible surprise, but disappointing.
          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Rastic View Post
            EM, stop head scratching other people's wives. It's weird.
            But you know the real beauty of all of this.....she's my wife and she's perfect! She hardly ever complains, and will accept any small apology from the store, even if they do nothing for us. And I will follow suit, tell them how much I appreciate what they are doing, and apologize if I got ticked about it. Mostly thanks to her. And we will try somewhere else if they can't help. And we will wait our turn. And when we can, we will keep tipping those who are doing their best. And if we can help push the idea of hiring those who need and want work, in an essential business, we will. As if they are going to listen to me or her. But only if people want to work, and are provided a safe environment. And yes, beyond the tips, we will continue to be charitable.

My wife is one of the most unselfish people I have ever met. Does that matter here? No. But it is relevant, given what I stated about the situation last night, and how she will carry it through. She will be kind when others wouldn't. She will influence my words and actions, and the end result will be positive. And she will expect nothing more...just a relatively fair response. She expects little for herself.

I'm the lucky one!

She's "other people's wife" BUT so much more.

Comment

Up the valley from where I am is know for the really independent, anti authority folks... not a terrible surprise, but disappointing.
              Independents here are those who can afford to use DoorDash instead of carry out, tip the restaurant AND the driver 20%. LOL 😂

Comment

• I do not always agree with PM Boris Johnson, but that was great today to see him back and healthy. He mentioned touch and go, so it was pretty severe. And I loved how he recognized the nurses who were there for him.

Wonderful story!!

Comment

Independents here are those who can afford to use DoorDash instead of carry out, tip the restaurant AND the driver 20%. LOL ��
                  Hahahha. Ya these guys are the original draft dodgers from south of the border in the late 60s and early 70s

Been a haven for the anti government type.. not the gun tooting ones. But the dope growing- everything is a conspiracy dirty stinky hippie type..
                  sigpic

Comment

Hahahha. Ya these guys are the original draft dodgers from south of the border in the late 60s and early 70s

Been a haven for the anti government type.. not the gun tooting ones. But the dope growing- everything is a conspiracy dirty stinky hippie type..
                    I grew up in a rural part of Colorado and have some great stories about dope growing hippies. Will save those for another time.

Here’s a video illustrating the humanity of people during these times:

https://youtu.be/QXuv8rfADa8

Check it out...

Comment

Maybe there's a Netflix opportunity awaiting. Not your everyday Mr. Rogers kinda stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                        But you know the real beauty of all of this.....she's my wife and she's perfect! She hardly ever complains, and will accept any small apology from the store, even if they do nothing for us. And I will follow suit, tell them how much I appreciate what they are doing, and apologize if I got ticked about it. Mostly thanks to her. And we will try somewhere else if they can't help. And we will wait our turn. And when we can, we will keep tipping those who are doing their best. And if we can help push the idea of hiring those who need and want work, in an essential business, we will. As if they are going to listen to me or her. But only if people want to work, and are provided a safe environment. And yes, beyond the tips, we will continue to be charitable.

My wife is one of the most unselfish people I have ever met. Does that matter here? No. But it is relevant, given what I stated about the situation last night, and how she will carry it through. She will be kind when others wouldn't. She will influence my words and actions, and the end result will be positive. And she will expect nothing more...just a relatively fair response. She expects little for herself.

I'm the lucky one!

She's "other people's wife" BUT so much more.
                        To conclude.....IN CASE someone out there is interested in the grocery world, and may want to know what to expect when shopping:

My wife called the headquarters # and spoke to a nice fellow, who apologized and stated the slot we had should have been served, but unfortunately it was not. So she accepted his apology, and now we start over. I expect to be going to a grocery store in the interim, because it will take a week or more with click and collect. When I called the local store manager, she said she was sorry too, and that they are having a lot of cancellations. I left her with, please make sure your top management understands that a lot of people have waited a long time only to have cancellations. I said that, if I were the HQ, I would cut back the orders until they could manage it, rather than cancel so many....and most likely without a message stating that. We never got a cancellation message.

Big picture, life could be worse. It's "a nit". Stores are trying their best.

Small picture, be a little cautious of click and collect services in these trying times. It's been done on the fly, which translates to potential problems. It's a great service if it works.

And yes, be like my wife.....try to be gracious when dealing with others, especially nice folks. Probably not their fault. We are lucky, we have some food, and I can sneak into a Costco or other grocery if need be. But at our age, I prefer to minimize those activity if I can. Same would go if I had a condition of some sort.

And as for my wife....wonder, wonderful person...but don't mess with her kids!:nono:

Comment

• The NY stats remain hopeful in terms of flattening....unfortunately even if "stats" sound reassuring that does not account for the human side. The loss and the pain. But the stats give some hope.

Comment

I grew up in a rural part of Colorado and have some great stories about dope growing hippies. Will save those for another time.

Here’s a video illustrating the humanity of people during these times:

https://youtu.be/QXuv8rfADa8

Check it out...
                            That’s pretty good! Thanks
                            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Peerless View Post
                              Thanks for checking in. Sorry I haven't provided much of an update. I think sometimes after working 12+ hrs, I'd rather come on here for a minute to talk about something else - (not saying that I don't want to discuss this anymore).

It hasn't been too bad compared to some places (New York). UW did a great job of shutting things down and 'prepping' for an influx (which everyone thinks will happen in the next week or two). Yet, I feel like I've been hearing that for the past few weeks.

We have shut down the OR's (unless for emergency or "I need this cancer removed from my brain ASAP" type of deals). We have cleared out units and have created Covid + units which are all negative flow rooms. We have "re-deployed" staff to areas in the hospital that need staff help. Our schedules are also all messed up. We're getting "volun-told" to work NOC and weekend shifts, forced call, etc.

We do have Covid + patients of course, and a lot of them are pretty sick. Some have passed, others are sorta status quo.

We are short on PPE - we're reusing a bunch of N95's until they are soiled or 'unwearable'. We have some process to 're-process' masks, but it sounds like a bunch of hoopla to me.

Anyways, grateful to still have a job even if it's right in the thick of things at times. My wife has been fortunate like many to be working from home. We're both grateful that this pandemic hasn't cost us our jobs or health - like it has done to many other people.

Happy Easter!

All things said, I've been safe along with my co-workers (for now).

Thanks for reporting in. I kind of feel like you're one of the people who can bring non biased opinion on what's going on right now.

Right now there is this question 'when do we open back up' going on right now. Of course it's always been there but -- the longer we go the more it's going to percolate. In fact there is some big story about how Fauci and Trump are at odds on this very question. What's your take? Do you think we could open back up say May 1?

I can't believe the USA can't get this N95 mask thing straightened out. Seems like sending all that manufacturing overseas to save a few dollars for the corps has made our country weaker and dependent.
                              Red 98

Kareem rises to the top

Comment

• Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
                                Thanks for reporting in. I kind of feel like you're one of the people who can bring non biased opinion on what's going on right now.

Right now there is this question 'when do we open back up' going on right now. Of course it's always been there but -- the longer we go the more it's going to percolate. In fact there is some big story about how Fauci and Trump are at odds on this very question. What's your take? Do you think we could open back up say May 1?

I can't believe the USA can't get this N95 mask thing straightened out. Seems like sending all that manufacturing overseas to save a few dollars for the corps has made our country weaker and dependent.
                                A million percent this. Out of all the horror to come from this pandemic, hopefully, a silver lining is the return of more domestic manufacturing. More local jobs and better control of supply chain.
                                To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

Working...
                                X