Corona virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post
    Hey AW4M....I meant to ask again, what do you mean by this? I am not pressing for an answer but was wondering what you meant. I wasn't sure.

Bill Gates' foundation has contributed $100 million towards the coronavirus situation.
    He's got some really questionable agendas. on the surface he looks a lot nicer than he looks when you actually dig in deeper.
    sigpic

Comment

• Another positive development - NIH is beginning a study to determine undetected cases. The study will test up to 10,000 people for antibodies to the novel Coronavirus.

http://www.niaid.nih.gov/news-events...irus-infection

The study will be conducted by researchers at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) and the National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering (NIBIB), with additional support from the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences (NCATS) and the National Cancer Institute (NCI), all parts of NIH.

“This study will give us a clearer picture of the true magnitude of the COVID-19 pandemic in the United States by telling us how many people in different communities have been infected without knowing it, because they had a very mild, undocumented illness or did not access testing while they were sick,” said Anthony S. Fauci, M.D., NIAID director. “These crucial data will help us measure the impact of our public health efforts now and guide our COVID-19 response moving forward.”

Comment

• Another positive development - we’ve jumped from 300,000 tests a week to 3 million in three weeks.

The FDA granted emergency approval a new test that can increase the rate of testing up to 10 times compared to previous methods.

https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/13/fd...up-to-tenfold/

As we begin working on how to open the country the testing should really help. The testing for antibodies with people who went undetected should help us better understand the rates of infection. We should also be able to better understand the mortality rate. The new rapid testing for the virus has increased the availability of testing 10 fold in three weeks.

Every positive development will help put us in a better position to manage the health risks and open the country.

Comment

• Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
          He's got some really questionable agendas. on the surface he looks a lot nicer than he looks when you actually dig in deeper.
          Possibly. But when I started to research some things there seem to be differing views. I'll stop there.

But I do like it when wealthy folks utilize funds for good purposes, to some degree. And even better, it's critical that the wealthy influence other wealthy folks to chip in. They have the power to open up wallets.

He did help eradicate polio, and that's a lot more than I'll ever do!

Comment

• Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
            Every business and person chipping in is critical. Banks are playing a crucial role especially with the SBA loans (grants). Same here, I’ve been very impressed with the steps our company leadership have taken. The communication has been exceptional.

On the vaccine side the approval process can take several years. In this situation companies are getting fast track support from the FDA. That doesn’t mean corners will be cut - it helps put the vaccines at the front of the regulatory process. If ours makes it through the process hopefully we can go to market in January ‘21. We’re building up manufacturing to go to market with 1 billion doses. If we’re fortunate enough to get approval we’ll go to market at no profit. Roughly 15 companies are in various stages of development which should increase the odds of one or more gaining approval.

Other great things happening, some of which I can’t post yet.
            Sounds like hubby's company. Good to see so many trying to help.
            Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage

Lupus Awareness

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

• Some trivial thoughts:

1) Got some milk today, and the supermarket was set up like a real maze.....so much so, I thought they should charge extra for the challenge!
              2) Just realized....have not bought gas for over a month. Both vehicles are at least half full. A small win!
              3) The Houston Astros are not getting booed.....but I wish they were!

Comment

• Originally posted by Peanut View Post
                Very cool. Yes, I’m amazed with the creativity by so many people.

Comment

• Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                  Bill Gates is pushing for mandatory world wide vaccinations, which has been part of the WHO 2030 agenda all along. He has openly stated his goals are (in no particular order) reduction in poverty, disease AND 10-15% reduction in population growth.
                  Did you know Bill Gates has research in Wuhan, including a 2018 patent on coronavirus? I’m not stating I believe he was part of it intentionally being released into the public, but I do not trust his intentions.
                  I want to point out to others on this board that the bolded part here is false information that has been pushed on conspiracy theory sites and shared widely across social media. This is not true. It is related to The Pirbright Institute, which does have a patent on a different strand of coronavirus that affects poultry. The only relation to Bill Gates is that his Foundation has provided several grants to Pirbright for research, none of which relates to the referenced patent. See the information below:

"The Pirbright Institute is a biological research organization based in Surrey, England. The organization specializes in studying animal viruses and zoonotic diseases that transfer from animals to people. While the institute does hold a patent for a coronavirus that primarily affects chickens, it does not hold a patent on any part of the novel coronavirus causing the current COVID-19 pandemic."
                  Source: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...us/2919503001/

You can actually find all of the grants that they have offered to Pirbright, along with the amount of the grant and the purpose for using the funds at the link below:

https://www.gatesfoundation.org/How-We-Work/Quick-Links/Grants-Database#q/k=pirbright

Secondly, the remark about population growth as a goal of his is slightly misleading as well. He has stated that rising population growth in areas of poverty (such as some areas of Africa) further exacerbates the underlying issues of hunger and disease. However, providing better health care and disease prevention for children helps to slow the growth. See below:

In society after society, he saw, when the mortality rate falls—specifically, below 10 deaths per 1,000 people—the birth rate follows, and population growth stabilizes. “It goes against common sense,” Gates says. Most parents don’t choose to have eight children because they want to have big families, it turns out, but because they know many of their children will die.

“If a mother and father know their child is going to live to adulthood, they start to naturally reduce their population size,” says Melinda.
                  I know reading "reduction in population growth" seems like a red flag on the surface, but the measures they are taking are saving lives with an added benefit of stabilizing the population growth in areas of poverty. The below link is a very good outline on the views of the foundation and what they are trying to accomplish.

Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/matthew...of-bill-gates/

Some tips I encourage us all to take, if possible:
                  • Fact check information you find on the internet or on social media. There is a lot of disinformation out there, and some things are easy to fact check.
                  • Read the entire article, not just the headline. Headlines are often written by copy editors or even layout designers. They don't always accurately summarize the information in the article.
                  • When referencing something you found online or elsewhere, use sources! It gives better context to your points and other users can read more information if they are interested.

Comment

• ^^^Right on 131!!! Facts really, really do matter. It took me minutes yesterday to differentiate between theories and reality. There is so much ridiculous stuff out there.

I did not like Gates when he was ruling the IT world. But once he and his wife, along with Buffet and other wealthy folks made a point of giving away billions of dollars for the good of others, I started to really appreciate him. I am sure he is not perfect, but neither are any of us. And as mentioned, I love it when wealthy, powerful people influence other wealthy, powerful people to give piles of money for various important endeavours. Eradicating disease. Doing research. Educating. Guiding underprivileged folks to live better lives.

No, I can't speak to every agenda item. But my go to is to listen, read and investigate...to find facts.

Comment

Possibly. But when I started to research some things there seem to be differing views. I'll stop there.

But I do like it when wealthy folks utilize funds for good purposes, to some degree. And even better, it's critical that the wealthy influence other wealthy folks to chip in. They have the power to open up wallets.

He did help eradicate polio, and that's a lot more than I'll ever do!
                      Yea it's kinda hard to get into the details...so we won't, but I agree he does some good, With things like ID2020 though, I seriously question his motivations.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                        Yea it's kinda hard to get into the details...so we won't, but I agree he does some good, With things like ID2020 though, I seriously question his motivations.
                        Frey....you should have contacted me when Bill was riding the computer wave. I was not a fan!!! He probably installed a chip in my head that I do not even know about!

Comment

Frey....you should have contacted me when Bill was riding the computer wave. I was not a fan!!! He probably installed a chip in my head that I do not even know about!
                          Truth be told, even if it's a bit "conspiracy theoriesh" That's one of my biggest concerns is that is the direction he'll take us.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
                            Every business and person chipping in is critical. Banks are playing a crucial role especially with the SBA loans (grants). Same here, I’ve been very impressed with the steps our company leadership have taken. The communication has been exceptional.

On the vaccine side the approval process can take several years. In this situation companies are getting fast track support from the FDA. That doesn’t mean corners will be cut - it helps put the vaccines at the front of the regulatory process. If ours makes it through the process hopefully we can go to market in January ‘21. We’re building up manufacturing to go to market with 1 billion doses. If we’re fortunate enough to get approval we’ll go to market at no profit. Roughly 15 companies are in various stages of development which should increase the odds of one or more gaining approval.

Other great things happening, some of which I can’t post yet.
                            That would be impressive to see one on the market early next year... Hope this is under control long before then...
                            sigpic
                            Adopted Bronco - 2017/18 - Chris Harris Jr. # 25 :nono: to every player he covers
                            Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
                            Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
                            Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton

Comment

• Originally posted by Peanut View Post
                              That's awesome!
                              sigpic
                              Adopted Bronco - 2017/18 - Chris Harris Jr. # 25 :nono: to every player he covers
                              Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
                              Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
                              Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton

Comment

• Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
                                Agree...that’s how I see it too... social distance..obey rules .. but don’t inconvenience our grocery shopping time.

Head scratcher..
                                Inconvenience is hardly a suitable description. If people have a condition of some sort, or are in a certain age group, and we are told to social distance, than this is not an "inconvenience". It is much more!

My wife and I are in that age group. We may or may not have conditions that make us more vulnerable....even if so, I would not provide details in this setting. Too much info. But say we are in an age group and have one or more medical "question marks" that are relevant to this virus, is it still just an inconvenience? I think not. Maybe you are fortunate, and are younger and healthier. I don't know. But if you said you had a condition, I would understand your concern.

I empathize with others who are more vulnerable than the norm. This could be a life threatening illness, to any of us. Even young, tough folks are endangered, if not at the same level of expectancy. So I do not think it hard to comprehend that such a situation could be annoying at minimum, given the wait time, and then the sudden cancelation ALONE. But when you factor in the aspect of vulnerability, it becomes a pretty easy argument to support.

It was "a nit" (as I noted), which is defined as "a minor shortcoming".

…...but actually it could have been described by me with more emphasis, given vulnerability factors. I thought I made it reasonable. But given the response I received, it was more, and for some, it was much more. Not an inconvenience at all. Some folks can not go shopping for groceries. That's a real issue.

Comment

Working...
                                X