Corona virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    That's a good question. In the NHL I think teams make the flu shot available to anyone who wants it (the Flames ran into some issues a few years ago because they had flu vaccines but there was a shortage to the general population) but you still here of hockey players missing games due to the flu, and the flu going through locker rooms. Connor McDavid missed a game or two due to illness just before the sports shutdown.
    According to the author of this article some teams mandate the flu shots. Not sure if we could find out which teams. Wonder how some teams can mandate while others make it optional? Interesting the author mentioned Manning getting the flu along with others on the Broncos.

https://nationalfootballpost.com/mon...rning-md-8798/

Comment

• Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
      Gaven Newsome is suggesting no mass gatherings until a vaccine is available. That sounds dangerous to me. What’s the plan? Force people to vaccinate?
      Do you not believe in vaccinating against this disease? Just a question.

I would be in line if one was available!

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post

Then again, I am a regular for flu shots. I can not say for sure, but I have not gotten the flu much for years.

Comment

I don’t know, it depends on the risk involved with the vaccine and whether or not I’ve already got antibodies built up. I’m not a complete “anti-vaccer”, but not all vaccines are made the same. I can say for certain I’m 100% against being mandated to have it injected in my body.
          sigpic
          Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Then again, I am a regular for flu shots. I can not say for sure, but I have not gotten the flu much for years.
            I never get flu shots and I have probably missed 3 days of work in the last 7 years. I tend to rely on proper diet and my immune system with natural immune boosters such as oreganol when I feel something coming on.

I understand I have an element of ignorance with coronavirus, as we all do. However I am not afraid of it.
            sigpic

Comment

• I have never gotten a flu shot.. and won’t.

Never mind it takes 2 weeks to kick in, when you can still get it.,, it is strain specific, there are possible bad allergic reactions and even a chance at Guillain-Barre syndrome which is nasty...

Sorry. I’ll take the flu, if I get it.. over that
              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
                I have never gotten a flu shot.. and won’t.

Never mind it takes 2 weeks to kick in, when you can still get it.,, it is strain specific, there are possible bad allergic reactions and even a chance at Guillain-Barre syndrome which is nasty...

Sorry. I’ll take the flu, if I get it.. over that
                My take as well.
                sigpic

Comment

• The flu shot among other things is required for the work I do. Now, I could choose not to get the flu shot and work in another field but I love my job. I lost the work I was in for a while and the medical requirements are manageable. I remember getting the flu when I was in the Army - was in the best condition of my life and it nearly killed me.

Comment

• Very positive to hear and read about the direction to open the country. Governors from various states are forming coalitions to open. New Federal guidelines with three phases to open. It will be a balancing act to continue addressing safety and getting people back to work.

With over 5 million jobless claims last week we’ve had 22 million over the last four weeks. About 5 million people were unemployed before Covid-19, around 3.4% unemployment. We’re around 16% unemployment today, a historically rapid decline. I can’t remember exactly how long it took to reach that level during the Great Depression, but I think it took 2 years after the market crashed.

The devastation to our economy cannot be underestimated. We have to safely get back into action. Unemployment has consequences - crime, drug addiction and domestic violence. We need to be productive.

It’s going to be a process to get back on track. We’ll get it done.
                    Last edited by Fantaztic7; 04-16-2020, 04:37 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
                      The flu shot among other things is required for the work I do. Now, I could choose not to get the flu shot and work in another field but I love my job. I lost the work I was in for a while and the medical requirements are manageable. I remember getting the flu when I was in the Army - was in the best condition of my life and it nearly killed me.
                      Totally get that. Nurses in our area have a choice to get the flu shot or wear a mask the entire flu season...

I’m glad I don’t have to at my work.. but if I had to,..I guess I would too.
                      sigpic

Comment

I never get flu shots and I have probably missed 3 days of work in the last 7 years. I tend to rely on proper diet and my immune system with natural immune boosters such as oreganol when I feel something coming on.

I understand I have an element of ignorance with coronavirus, as we all do. However I am not afraid of it.
                        Hey, matter of choice.

I am worried to some degree about the Coronavirus, I'll admit it. Because of age group, other things. But more so, because we as a society have not figured it out yet.

I once had the flu and it lasted for 3 or more weeks, and everyday I woke up as bad as the last day, and it affected me in more ways than usual. My thing is going with probabilities, and if something has even a 5-10% better hit rate, based on what I've read, I'll consider it.

Regardless, we know so much more about the flu, even with new strains then this thing. I guess I will feel different in a year or whenever, at the time we can further define it, like whether or not it can return, and most assuredly, is there some form of cure/prevention. AND because we are currently in the fight of our lives, trying to deal with it.

Comment

• Social distancing and other recommended practices: sanitize hands, don't touch face, stay home, are helping big time to win this fight.

Comment

Hey, matter of choice.

I am worried to some degree about the Coronavirus, I'll admit it. Because of age group, other things. But more so, because we as a society have not figured it out yet.

I once had the flu and it lasted for 3 or more weeks, and everyday I woke up as bad as the last day, and it affected me in more ways than usual. My thing is going with probabilities, and if something has even a 5-10% better hit rate, based on what I've read, I'll consider it.

Regardless, we know so much more about the flu, even with new strains then this thing. I guess I will feel different in a year or whenever, at the time we can further define it, like whether or not it can return, and most assuredly, is there some form of cure/prevention. AND because we are currently in the fight of our lives, trying to deal with it.
                            Well, for what it’s worth I don’t want my parents to get it, but neither I don’t want them to get the flu. And yes, I realize this has a higher mortality rate and is more contagious but unfortunately we don’t know for sure what the mortality rate is here because there are a lot of deaths that are being categorized as Covid but shouldn’t be.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Gov Cuomo said the spread rate of the virus, which measures how a disease spreads through a population, known as the "basic reproduction number," and otherwise known as R0 (pronounced "R naught,"), has declined to 0.9 in NY, which is pretty good news This number tells us how many people, on average, each infected person will in turn infect.

Typically a spread rate of 1 or less relates to a disease that is eventually dying out. IF of course you do not give it chance of new life.

This number will be critical in how each area moves forward. If you can get it lower and lower, and still be cautious as need be, we may see a reasonable return to normality, though I will not define what that is in the near future.

Comment

Well, for what it’s worth I don’t want my parents to get it, but neither I don’t want them to get the flu. And yes, I realize this has a higher mortality rate and is more contagious but unfortunately we don’t know for sure what the mortality rate is here because there are a lot of deaths that are being categorized as Covid but shouldn’t be.
                                Not sure about the details, but there are a lot of deaths and suffering, and that's enough for me. I did hear that there is a different way of reporting them, but I would also expect that the numbers from hospitals and care homes are probably pretty accurate overall. What's your source?

Comment

Working...
                                X