No announcement yet.

Corona virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The good news is my job would exist with out the Corona virus. So I got a new job and am enjoying it. With the potential to move it in a career.
    sigpic
    oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
      The good news is my job would exist with out the Corona virus. So I got a new job and am enjoying it. With the potential to move it in a career.
      Congratz!!!

:thumb:

Comment

• Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
        I think the people in Minnesota have a right to be upset. They’re not just protesting the lockdown but the fact they’re being told what they can and can’t buy, such as gardening items. Idaho is doing a great job and is probably more heavily armed then any state out there but the levels of frustration are not the same because when we go to Walmart they don’t have entire sections roped off. We’re not being told we cant be in our front yards...
        Where has it been said that people can't be in their front yards? LIke honestly, I didn't see it or know of it. Can ya link me?

Comment

• Originally posted by Peerless View Post
          Where has it been said that people can't be in their front yards? LIke honestly, I didn't see it or know of it. Can ya link me?
          I’ll try to find it later. Trying to get ready for the day. Does it not concern you people aren’t allowed to buy seeds and gardening supplies?
          sigpic
          Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

I’ll try to find it later. Trying to get ready for the day. Does it not concern you people aren’t allowed to buy seeds and gardening supplies?
            Well, I might be concerned if I knew that was actually happening. Last I read (briefly) was that Michigan where the first widespread protest began and hit the airwaves (not Minnesota), Michigan's COVID-19 order doesn’t ban gardening or sale of seeds and fruit.

https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...ale-seeds-and/

And if politifact is "fake news" site which (I already received a response from a family member arguing the point of how people aren't allowed to tend to their yards), the OFFICIAL Michigan.gov site reenforces the same point - As to gardening, a frequently asked questions document released by the governor’s office states: "The order does not prohibit homeowners from tending to their own yards as they see fit."
            Last edited by Peerless; 04-17-2020, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Well, I might be concerned if I knew that was actually happening. Last I read (briefly) was that Michigan where the first widespread protest began and hit the airwaves (not Minnesota), Michigan's COVID-19 order doesn’t ban gardening or sale of seeds and fruit.

https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...ale-seeds-and/

And if politifact is "fake news" site which (I already received a response from a family member arguing the point of how people aren't allowed to tend to their yards), the OFFICIAL Michigan.gov site reenforces the same point - As to gardening, a frequently asked questions document released by the governor’s office states: "The order does not prohibit homeowners from tending to their own yards as they see fit."
              I was wrong in parts with my statement, I’m sorry. Honestly I got a little flustered because I felt like you were taking a shot at gun owners which I am, but of course I’m not planning on marching on the state capital with my rifle.

I had Minnesota and Michigan confused. Michigan may not technically have banned the sale of seeds, but people in Michigan are going to stores like Walmart to find the gardening section roped off as non-essential where the seeds are sold. This is a problem.

Regarding people in their front yards: another incorrect statement on my part, where this is coming from is reports of people being turned in by their neighbors for being in their front yard; not exactly a good use of police resources. These examples may be limited but they are out there. It’s unfortunate that some people are so ignorant about how viruses spread. I saw one guy driving around with an N95 on and his windows rolled up (he was behind me) and he kept adjusting the mask with his bare hands.

Anyway, I apologize for getting frustrated with you.
              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                I agree with lots of what you just stated. I still don't believe this is comparable to much of anything we've seen, although some outbreaks in our lifetime have been serious, but fortunately, not as global. For example, SARS was bad, but very limited. If you recall, it was more a Toronto thing here in Canada.

Yes, the flu is a killer, but time will tell if I am correct, until a new strain comes along within the lives we've led, none have matched this virus. It's not just the mortality rate, but the unknowns to this day. This virus may mutate, come back, do something unthinkable, and if we let it fester, we could go backwards. That would severely darken our attitudes.

As for the economics of all of this....it is terrible! But think back when we got the news overseas, and then people started coming home, and then people were on ventilators, and the deaths were not at all easy to hear about. And we did not know much about this deadly, invisible enemy. At that time we were left with hard choices, and for the most part, we ended up doing the same things....trying to control the spread. It was a daunting task for a world that does not play by those rules.

I will say this, I hope we did overreact a little, because that means it is not nearly as bad as we thought. But just like the 2008 recession when the financial world was on the brink, so to were we, in my opinion, regarding this pandemic. You may not agree, but if we got the spread rate of infection wrong, and I am not talking by a much per person, this would have been extremely bad (though I still think it is). Say we did not do the responsible thing and it spread to more folks, quickly, our hospitals and medical folks would never have kept up. Not a chance. So in that regard, I lean to the medical experts first. Had we been less concerned a while back, we would not be having the same conversation as we speak. And no doubt in my mind, there were probably a lot of folks (I don't mean you) who would have preferred we did not even go into social distancing mode, or stay home stance, when we needed to. I am very relieved that we listened and we obeyed.

As for the social media, I would suggest it goes many ways. I say, find good sources and judge based on the best facts you can find...not some online noise makers. Not easy in this era, but at least give it a go.

It's late, I've asked you folks a lot of questions, and I appreciate the effort you have put forth in responding. I think we al have valid concerns. And in the end, I think we all want health and economics to improve, as quickly as is possible.
                All of the examples I gave you were global outbreaks. But social media is making this a super global outbreak. And there's a lot more to this world than Canada.

It's not the plague 2.0, when people accept that then we can finally move on to reopening things.

Comment

• To be fair - I was taking a slight shot at gun owners. Protest the extended stay at home orders at your capital? Fine. Whatever. But to show up with body armor and a fully clipped and decked out M4 - AND wearing a mask to protect you from the one thing and cause that is extending a stay home order?

That’s just stupid.

Comment

To be fair - I was taking a slight shot at gun owners. Protest the extended stay at home orders at your capital? Fine. Whatever. But to show up with body armor and a fully clipped and decked out M4 - AND wearing a mask to protect you from the one thing and cause that is extending a stay home order?

That’s just stupid.
                    I agree even though I don’t have to live in Michigan. However they may have been masked to avoid facial recognition as much as anything else.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                      All of the examples I gave you were global outbreaks. But social media is making this a super global outbreak. And there's a lot more to this world than Canada.

It's not the plague 2.0, when people accept that then we can finally move on to reopening things.
                      I do not remember The Asian Flu, though I was alive. And as bad as were the other diseases you mention, I was not aware that they were as widespread. Given what I have been hearing/reading, this is the worst outbreak we've dealt with globally since the Spanish Flu. Worst thing possibly since WWII.

And this Canada thing is confusing to me. I mentioned SARS, because it was bad, and distinctly a Toronto issue in Canada. I thought you might relate, because of your citizenship, not because I am a boastful canuck. Others here talk local in some instances, and that's all good. They use local examples too. Nothing wrong with that. Again, I thought the SARS example might relate better to you. And no, I assess this entire situation, like the previous ones, based on global spread and impact. Not to say that diseases that remain within only certain domains are less tragic or real.

I can not assess whether social media has made this multiple times worse than it is. I can only go by what world leaders have done, what CEOs are cautious about, and so forth. And my circle of family/friends and even the majority of people I live nearby, are older than you, unless you are over 60. And I have yet to hear one of them say that this is not the worst global disease situation they have witnessed. Sure, I can read up, but when older folks relate the same story, over and over, they are either senile (just kidding) or they observed it the way it happened. That's better than the books sometimes.

So maybe we all missed the boat.

Going forward, I will talk about my city, maybe province, and Canada on occasion, just as I would expect folks here to talk about their cities, states, countries. I can almost promise you that.

Comment

Random thought of the early AM before heading to work: Huge crowds protesting against coronavirus lockdowns at state capitols.

Protesting the lockdown while wearing masks to protect them from the virus? Makes sense. Oh, and don't forget those heavy duty assault rifles. That's quite essential during a viral pandemic.

Can't wait to see this happening at my state capitol on the 24th as our governer just extended our stay at home order through May 26. The fact that a facebook group called Wisconsinites Against Excessive Quarantine has 66,000+ followers in less than a day is honestly scary. Their posts and comments are even more scary. Stop being dumb. Think of others and stay home.
                        Thanks for all of your work during this time. I read your previous post and we owe you a debt of gratitude.

The protests were about specific measures, not the overall shut down. For example, being told you can’t be in a boat on the lake by yourself. Or allowing someone to do landscaping in your yard - makes no sense. We need to let as many people who can safely work...work. They’re restricting people from buying “non-essential” items like paint.

They’re making stores tape off areas to restrict people from buying those items. What does taping off an area in a store do? It puts more people in a smaller space, thereby increasing risk. Did the public health officials in Michigan stop to think about that? When you’re in a crisis that doesn’t mean check your common sense at the door.

In New Jersey they deemed liquor stores as “essential”. Public officials said the experts said not having access to alcohol can negatively impact people recovering from addiction. They said they’ve listened to the medical professionals to make that decision. Interestingly, it’s a fact that drinking alcohol weakens the immune system and makes people more vulnerable to infection. So people can be around each other in a liquor store, but they can’t be together at a Synagogue? They’re telling people they’re protecting people - how does having access to alcohol protect you from contracting the virus and spreading to others? It actually weakens the immune system. New Jersey officials arrested a small group of worshipers at a Synagogue. Explain how it’s helpful to have liquor stores open while arresting a small group of people worship - and they were social distancing while worshiping.

As far as the weapons people don’t give up their rights because we have a virus. In fact, one city has seen a rise in crime. A prisoner recently released in the name of reducing crowding was just arrested and charged with murder. People have the right to protect themselves. That’s the one thing you can do - protect yourself.
                        Last edited by Fantaztic7; 04-17-2020, 07:19 AM.

Comment

• On a positive note, my friend who was sick is 95% recovered. She’s a young person who is very healthy and got pretty sick. Someone who is more at risk likely would have been hospitalized.
                          sigpic

Comment

On a positive note, my friend who was sick is 95% recovered. She’s a young person who is very healthy and got pretty sick. Someone who is more at risk likely would have been hospitalized.
                            Hey pal...that's good news. I am sure it is a big weight off her and all of her family and friends.

Comment

• It's time to open up our economies. I'm a business owner myself and I need to help my workers. Their families, their needs, and their pain is every bit as important as those that are sick or MAY become. Especially now that we have some combinations of treatments that have had results. A month ago we really didn't have those positive results.

A re-focus on hand washing is what has slowed this spread. This is why I feel it was important to close schools. Kids are taught to wash their hands and told the importance of it, but there is no accountability. Many people -adults and children- will "wash" with water only. Another report (2017 I believe) estimated only 1 in 5 (adults or kids) were washing after restroom use and a good number of those who "washed" were water only. I can't believe that is still the case after this. 2020 shut down needs to be the re-education of hygiene- especially in children.

This has forced everyone to be more aware and I truly hope parents have taken this time to SHOW their kids what germ spreading means.

https://www.rd.com/health/wellness/d...ng-your-hands/

Comment

• Originally posted by atwaterandstir View Post
                                It's time to open up our economies. I'm a business owner myself and I need to help my workers. Their families, their needs, and their pain is every bit as important as those that are sick or MAY become. Especially now that we have some combinations of treatments that have had results. A month ago we really didn't have those positive results.

A re-focus on hand washing is what has slowed this spread. This is why I feel it was important to close schools. Kids are taught to wash their hands and told the importance of it, but there is no accountability. Many people -adults and children- will "wash" with water only. Another report (2017 I believe) estimated only 1 in 5 (adults or kids) were washing after restroom use and a good number of those who "washed" were water only. I can't believe that is still the case after this. 2020 shut down needs to be the re-education of hygiene- especially in children.

This has forced everyone to be more aware and I truly hope parents have taken this time to SHOW their kids what germ spreading means.

https://www.rd.com/health/wellness/d...ng-your-hands/
                                Good luck and good fortune...I'm being sincere. I hope that proper testing can help to monitor your respective situation, and therefore ensure this recovery will gain solid traction.

Comment

Working...
                                X