Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corona virus

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The last 3 weeks have been very painful to me. Numerous people in my company have been laid off. These are people I use to see on a daily basis who no longer have jobs, nor do we know whether their jobs will return, including 3 people in my division; project managers, project coordinators, project engineers, service managers and assistant service managers. Ive seen my company lose a $15 million project in the last week. What will the fall out of that be? I wish I could say more about it but my employer might not appreciate it. I can say though if you have ever flown to Boise I can guarantee you would have been to this place where the project would take place.
    So before you start squawking about big businesses being bailed out, please remember people like myself work for these big businesses and if they close their doors it is catastrophic to the country.
    Please understand when I plead for a better way to handle social distancing I’m not trying to be indifferent to the sick or future risks of spreading the virus. I’m tired of seeing people I care about lose their jobs. I myself took a $600 a month pay cut along with everyone else in my company.
    sigpic
    Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

    Comment


    • Big businesses need to prepare for hard times. Just like us lowly regular ole civilians. If they don't or can't and if it's a service that is absolutely needed then it shouldn't be free market company. It should be nationalized

      I got laid off last year before this all started
      Red 98

      Kareem rises to the top

      Comment


      • Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
        Big businesses need to prepare for hard times. Just like us lowly regular ole civilians. If they don't or can't and if it's a service that is absolutely needed then it shouldn't be free market company. It should be nationalized

        I got laid off last year before this all started
        Regarding the stimulus check - it definitely went faster for people with direct deposit. When the bill was being written it was supposed to be paid even if you hadn’t filed taxes for 2019, e.g. as long as someone filed in 2018. I don’t know if that held true with the final text of the bill. If true, you should still get the check provided you didn’t exceed the income limit. The payment was reduced $5 for every $100 dollars above Adjusted Gross Income. For example a person filing single would receive $1200 for up to $75,000 AGI up to $99,000 - reduced by $5 until hitting the upper limit.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
          Big businesses need to prepare for hard times. Just like us lowly regular ole civilians. If they don't or can't and if it's a service that is absolutely needed then it shouldn't be free market company. It should be nationalized

          I got laid off last year before this all started
          I’m sorry you got laid off. I don’t believe in nationalizing everything, but that’s not an appropriate discussion for this thread.
          sigpic
          Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

          Comment


          • Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
            Ok, I’m done...


            Good morning....



            And this is only day 1 of my days off...
            We are in trouble.

            Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
            The Coronavirus thread has gone...viral.

            Who said we can’t have sports in a pandemic?



            Thanks, guys. We still need to smile.

            Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
            The last 3 weeks have been very painful to me. Numerous people in my company have been laid off. These are people I use to see on a daily basis who no longer have jobs, nor do we know whether their jobs will return, including 3 people in my division; project managers, project coordinators, project engineers, service managers and assistant service managers. Ive seen my company lose a $15 million project in the last week. What will the fall out of that be? I wish I could say more about it but my employer might not appreciate it. I can say though if you have ever flown to Boise I can guarantee you would have been to this place where the project would take place.
            So before you start squawking about big businesses being bailed out, please remember people like myself work for these big businesses and if they close their doors it is catastrophic to the country.
            Please understand when I plead for a better way to handle social distancing I’m not trying to be indifferent to the sick or future risks of spreading the virus. I’m tired of seeing people I care about lose their jobs. I myself took a $600 a month pay cut along with everyone else in my company.
            I'm sorry to hear about your co-workers. The bolded. I'm on the other side of that. I don't mean to be insensitive to those that have lost their jobs or taking pay cuts. Lost jobs VS possible death. Not an easy situation. Like I said before, there is no perfect solution. Well, there is. Please see CP comment.
            Administrator
            sigpic

            #LupusAwareness

            #TackleCancer - Adopted Bronco: Phillip Lindsay

            "a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
              I’m sorry you got laid off. I don’t believe in nationalizing everything, but that’s not an appropriate discussion for this thread.
              Agree. ....
              Administrator
              sigpic

              #LupusAwareness

              #TackleCancer - Adopted Bronco: Phillip Lindsay

              "a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

              Comment


              • My daughter tells me that healthcare staff are being asked if they can volunteer to work at nursing homes, because so many of those workers are sick or calling in sick.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
                  Big businesses need to prepare for hard times. Just like us lowly regular ole civilians. If they don't or can't and if it's a service that is absolutely needed then it shouldn't be free market company. It should be nationalized

                  I got laid off last year before this all started
                  Sorry about that dizz. My friend's son was let go from his management job just before this became an issue, not because of his performance but because they considered it more of a project, even though he felt pretty good that he was going to be kept on. Nothing to do with the virus at all. Very unfortunate. I bid you the best of luck.

                  Comment


                  • My job was a union job with AT&T. I was a splicer. They're starting to let go of people now who have over 20 years service. Big changes coming with the phone companies and this fiber optic. Fiber Optic doesn't corrode or just go bad. It can get cut or damaged but it doesn't really just go bad.

                    In 2015 the CEO claimed he expected to lay off 70% of the service force they carried for most of ATT's life as a copper service. It's coming for most of them starting 2020 -this year
                    Red 98

                    Kareem rises to the top

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                      The last 3 weeks have been very painful to me. Numerous people in my company have been laid off. These are people I use to see on a daily basis who no longer have jobs, nor do we know whether their jobs will return, including 3 people in my division; project managers, project coordinators, project engineers, service managers and assistant service managers. Ive seen my company lose a $15 million project in the last week. What will the fall out of that be? I wish I could say more about it but my employer might not appreciate it. I can say though if you have ever flown to Boise I can guarantee you would have been to this place where the project would take place.
                      So before you start squawking about big businesses being bailed out, please remember people like myself work for these big businesses and if they close their doors it is catastrophic to the country.
                      Please understand when I plead for a better way to handle social distancing I’m not trying to be indifferent to the sick or future risks of spreading the virus. I’m tired of seeing people I care about lose their jobs. I myself took a $600 a month pay cut along with everyone else in my company.
                      Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
                      Big businesses need to prepare for hard times. Just like us lowly regular ole civilians. If they don't or can't and if it's a service that is absolutely needed then it shouldn't be free market company. It should be nationalized

                      I got laid off last year before this all started
                      dizzolve - sorry about being laid off. Hopefully you either found a new opportunity or close to one soon.

                      AW4M - sorry to hear of your friends losing work and your pay cut.

                      I lost my job about 2.5 years ago and understand the feeling. The division of the company I worked for no longer exists. Spent time driving a truck and continued the career search. Very fortunate to land a new role in a great organization with amazing people. I almost gave up hope in the search when the phone rang.

                      We’ll get through this ordeal. There will be pain along the way. There were parts of the economy already being transformed. The pandemic will obviously accelerate the process. Some companies will be changed forever, others will vanish and new businesses created.

                      If anyone ever begins to lose hope, dig deep to keep going.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
                        dizzolve - sorry about being laid off. Hopefully you either found a new opportunity or close to one soon.

                        AW4M - sorry to hear of your friends losing work and your pay cut.

                        I lost my job about 2.5 years ago and understand the feeling. The division of the company I worked for no longer exists. Spent time driving a truck and continued the career search. Very fortunate to land a new role in a great organization with amazing people. I almost gave up hope in the search when the phone rang.

                        We’ll get through this ordeal. There will be pain along the way. There were parts of the economy already being transformed. The pandemic will obviously accelerate the process. Some companies will be changed forever, others will vanish and new businesses created.

                        If anyone ever begins to lose hope, dig deep to keep going.
                        I’m not losing hope. I’m only sharing my experience.
                        sigpic
                        Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                          I’m not losing hope. I’m only sharing my experience.
                          Great to hear. Some people will lose hope.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
                            Great to hear. Some people will lose hope.
                            My source of contentment and my hope comes comes from elsewhere
                            sigpic
                            Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

                            Comment


                            • It’s relatively easy for wealthy people, celebrities, professional athletes and anyone with resources to tell people to stick with the shut down. Sure, they have to experience isolation. Many have been generous with donations. It’s relatively easy for public officials to tell people to extend the shut down. People with enough resources won’t experience the impact of unemployment. They won’t have to wait hours in line at a food bank.

                              I heard one say we need to lock down for 18 months. Keep the country shut down for an extended period and we’ll witness devastation most people can’t imagine.

                              Some people haven’t thought about the impact on pension funds. Many public pension funds have survived because of solid market returns. The longer the shut down lasts the odds increase of pension funds failing. Stop retirement checks to millions of people and see how long people want the country to remain shuttered.

                              I understand and empathize with the position to keep things shut down. Understand the economy will worsen far beyond what’s happened. The impact will begin to touch everyone, not only the people already suffering. People we think we understand, yet we have no idea of their suffering.

                              We’re going to get this country back to work one way or another. People are beginning to be fed up. We can’t hide in our homes forever. We can and will figure out a way to balance safety and working. Living doesn’t come without risk.
                              Last edited by Fantaztic7; 04-18-2020, 04:52 PM.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                                My source of contentment and my hope comes comes from elsewhere
                                I hear you!

                                We’re not in control and that’s ok.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X