Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post
    Thx Sam! Facts.
    Yes it is a fact Sweden has a higher death rate than the other Scandinavian countries.
    They also have the largest population of the Scandinavian countries.
    Sweden: 9,995,153.
    Denmark: 5,748,769.
    Finland: 5,474,083.
    Norway: 5,258,317.
    Iceland: 338,349.
    Greenland: 55,860.
    Faroe Islands: 49,864.
    Åland: 29,214.

Another fact is that Sweden didn’t have a lockdown and had a lower death rate than:

Belgium 630.97
    Spain 503.41
    Italy 446.41
    France 347.72
    United Kingdom 317.23
    Netherlands 262.2
    Ireland 227.05
    Sweden 223.31

Belgium the highest death rate had a lockdown and has a population similar to Sweden’s.
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
      Well said....

Popular does not equal right.
      So explain what makes a decision right? Explain how you know it's 51% correct.

FTR...the meaning was relative to a simple concept, that great decisions are not usually easy decisions. The closer they are to 50% correct or more popular or whatever the common denominator, the harder they get. It's why the high paid folks don't usually get the 90% decisions. Just for the sake of this little statement I made, switch the words popular and correct. The point is, great decisions may or may not be obvious, or not as popular as one would hope, but there's greatness in the decision itself. Because it was a hard decision.
      Last edited by CanDB; 04-28-2020, 06:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
        Yes it is a fact Sweden has a higher death rate than the other Scandinavian countries.
        They also have the largest population of the Scandinavian countries.
        Sweden: 9,995,153.
        Denmark: 5,748,769.
        Finland: 5,474,083.
        Norway: 5,258,317.
        Iceland: 338,349.
        Greenland: 55,860.
        Faroe Islands: 49,864.
        Åland: 29,214.

Another fact is that Sweden didn’t have a lockdown and had a lower death rate than:

Belgium 630.97
        Spain 503.41
        Italy 446.41
        France 347.72
        United Kingdom 317.23
        Netherlands 262.2
        Ireland 227.05
        Sweden 223.31

Belgium the highest death rate had a lockdown and has a population similar to Sweden’s.
        I was thanking Sam for the post.

Comment

I was thanking Sam for the post.
          I understand, I was commenting on your statement about Facts, and sharing another fact with you regarding Sweden.
          sigpic

Comment

I like how I wrote it.
            So governments should go to twitter and make decisions based on what's trending? Making decisions based on what's popular, at that point in time, rather than what's prudent is a good way to make horrible decisions you later regret. Neville Chamberlain once made a decision based on the popularity of it, how'd that turn out?

Comment

FTR...the meaning was relative to a simple concept, that great decisions are not usually easy decisions. The closer they are to 50% correct or more popular or whatever the common denominator, the harder they get. It's why the high paid folks don't usually get the 90% decisions. Just for the sake of this little statement I made, switch the words popular and correct. The point is, great decisions may or may not be obvious, or not as popular as one would hope, but there's greatness in the decision itself. Because it was a hard decision.
              The right decision is often the hardest one to make. Quit trying to make people happy and make the decision that is best. How popular do you think lockdown will be once the May long weekend rolls around? But at least decision makers can point to their flawed models (the most recent of which predicts Canada with 3800+ deaths by next Tuesday...we're currently around 2800, so somehow we're going to get a 36% spike in the next 6 days) to show that their decision was right. While they ignore the number of people losing everything because of hasty decisions they continue to double down on.

Comment

• Making hard decisions also does not always equal making good decisions, especially when unwilling to adapt or discussion and questions are looked down upon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                  So governments should go to twitter and make decisions based on what's trending? Making decisions based on what's popular, at that point in time, rather than what's prudent is a good way to make horrible decisions you later regret. Neville Chamberlain once made a decision based on the popularity of it, how'd that turn out?
                  So in order to make my example understandable, I thought I'd say 51% popularity, because one can measure it, whereas I thought if I said 51% correct, someone might challenge me for that as well, as in, what's 51% correct? This is excessive.

It was a reference to hard decision making. That was it. By the way, aren't some decisions made by online popularity....heck I'm old, but I think that's modern day stuff, no?

Comment

• I think I'll start a thread. Thanks gang. This would be one of my more popular topics.

Comment

• Youtube has censored the video from the 2 doctors interviewed in Bakersfield CA. That is so disappointing. What has happened to freedom of speech and sharing ideas?
                      sigpic
                      Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Explain to me how because a decision is liked by 51% of the people it’s great? And not just good, or right, but great. That’s your word. Justify it.
                        sigpic

Comment

So in order to make my example understandable, I thought I'd say 51% popularity, because one can measure it, whereas I thought if I said 51% correct, someone might challenge me for that as well, as in, what's 51% correct? This is excessive.

It was a reference to hard decision making. That was it. By the way, aren't some decisions made by online popularity....heck I'm old, but I think that's modern day stuff, no?
                          The problem with what you're saying now is that the decision that's 51% correct (actually closer to 99%) is the one you're against. Everyday we learn about the virus and we realize that the number of people who have had it is much greater than thought, and the death rate much lower than thought. It shows the "correct" decision would be to send kids back to school and everyone back to work. Yes more people will become positive, no it won't be the end of the world.

The moving goalposts on what we need to lift things is ridiculous. Initially lockdown was put in place to stop from overwhelming the health system, but now that we've discovered that's very unlikely the goalposts have ranged anywhere from few people getting sick to waiting until there's a vaccine. The notion of stopping people from catching this is fantasy, it's going to be there and people are going to get it, the correct path is ensuring their outcome is the best possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                            Youtube has censored the video from the 2 doctors interviewed in Bakersfield CA. That is so disappointing. What has happened to freedom of speech and sharing ideas?
                            I’m learning if it is popular it’s accepted. If it’s unpopular it’s labeled ignorant, hateful, or dangerous and not allowed.

Use to be you:
                            A) agree to disagree but respect each other right to believe what we want.
                            B) have an open discussion and learn where each other are coming from, and either strengthen your convictions or possibly change how you view something.
                            sigpic

Comment

I think I'll start a thread. Thanks gang. This would be one of my more popular topics.
                              FYI, If you start a new thread about this (Covid) or something similar it's probably going to be either closed or merged here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                                FYI, If you start a new thread about this (Covid) or something similar it's probably going to be either closed or merged here.
                                I was kidding.

Comment

Working...
                                X