Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corona virus

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Peanut View Post
    As part of that small pct. (compromised immune system), thank you.
    Would a compromised immune system be an underlying condition?
    sigpic

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Peanut View Post
      I've cut hubby's hair for awhile now. No training. I watched them cut hair at the salon and thought, I can do that.

      He's always been pleased with the outcome. The only issue we've had is that he does not let me near his hair right after the Broncos lose. Not sure why.
      I know.....I thought it was going to be a mistake, but the more I look at it, I've been overpaying all this time!!!

      Peanut.....are you saying your hands are a little unsteady after a loss?! As in, we might be talking strips of hair missing "unsteady"?

      Conversely I am glad that dog groomers are also back, because our little ball of fire will not let me clip her nails without a real "show". She makes out like she's in agony and I haven't even touched them yet! Come to think of it, I would not want her to clip mine....

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Peanut View Post
        As part of that small pct. (compromised immune system), thank you.
        We have a friend undergoing treatment for a brain tumor. Our friend asked if she should avoid being anywhere near other people, especially with the risk of Coronavirus. Interestingly, the Oncologist encouraged her to be around people to help her immune system. Prior to the shelter in place orders she continued working during treatment. The doctor said her leukocytes were at a good level because she had been around people, causing her body to increase immunity.

        That’s only guidance in her specific situation. I found that very interesting.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
          Are direct flights running from Denver to Chicago? I heard they temporarily opened select salons.

          West Virginia is within a short drive from where we live. They are getting ready to open barber shops and salons by appointment.
          DIA is said to be down 95% since the shutdown. Frontier is open but guests are required to wear masks I think children are exempt. You are correct on select Salons. My wife's won't open until the 15th, but some are opening the 8th.

          Comment


          • Good News!!
            Von Miller has survived Covid-19!

            Von’s Twitter:
            “Got my results back. Im “negative” for Covid-19
            sigpic

            Comment


            • Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
              Good News!!
              Von Miller has survived Covid-19!

              Von’s Twitter:
              “Got my results back. Im “negative” for Covid-19
              Mark it down....Denver Broncos 4th SB Championship!!!!:thumb:

              Comment


              • Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                Mark it down....Denver Broncos 4th SB Championship!!!!:thumb:
                sigpic

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
                  Is anyone here in a city that's starting to reopen or has reopened? I want to bask in your ability to get a haircut. Red Rocks announced their tentative schedule and it looks like the first show will be May 31st.
                  We are likely, at a minimum, 3 weeks away still. I've put off attempting to cut my hair for as long as I can go, I think. At least need to trim, I haven't gone this long without a haircut in my life
                  Administrator

                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
                    Would a compromised immune system be an underlying condition?
                    Yes. I've been self quarantining for 7-8 (?) weeks. Not taking a chance.

                    Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                    I know.....I thought it was going to be a mistake, but the more I look at it, I've been overpaying all this time!!!

                    Peanut.....are you saying your hands are a little unsteady after a loss?! As in, we might be talking strips of hair missing "unsteady"?

                    Conversely I am glad that dog groomers are also back, because our little ball of fire will not let me clip her nails without a real "show". She makes out like she's in agony and I haven't even touched them yet! Come to think of it, I would not want her to clip mine....
                    He likes his hair short, so it's not hair that he's concerned that might go missing. Think ears.

                    Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
                    We have a friend undergoing treatment for a brain tumor. Our friend asked if she should avoid being anywhere near other people, especially with the risk of Coronavirus. Interestingly, the Oncologist encouraged her to be around people to help her immune system. Prior to the shelter in place orders she continued working during treatment. The doctor said her leukocytes were at a good level because she had been around people, causing her body to increase immunity.

                    That’s only guidance in her specific situation. I found that very interesting.
                    Prayers to your friend.

                    That is interesting. I've had friends that had been told the opposite. I'm glad that in her case, they were right.

                    I know they tell parents to let their kids get dirty and be around other kids so they don't get sick as often.
                    Administrator

                    Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage

                    Lupus Awareness

                    "a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
                      We have a friend undergoing treatment for a brain tumor. Our friend asked if she should avoid being anywhere near other people, especially with the risk of Coronavirus. Interestingly, the Oncologist encouraged her to be around people to help her immune system. Prior to the shelter in place orders she continued working during treatment. The doctor said her S were at a good level because she had been around people, causing her body to increase immunity.

                      That’s only guidance in her specific situation. I found that very interesting.
                      That is very interesting..... but it's the complete opposite of what I would tell my father (who has been undergoing chemo for metastatic soft tissue sarcoma). I know I don't have an MD next to my name, but there's a difference between me, you, my father, and your friend. You and I could test our immune system and its 'strength' against Covid19 in the open. Heck, I'm sure we both have fought agains the virus and have possibly deflected it.

                      But for someone who is already immunocompromised, I think that is a foolish statement to tell a patient and is literally putting someone at risk. An immunocompromised person and their white count doesn't get better because of human to human interaction. It all revolves about living and trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle - eat right, be hygienic, get good sleep, try and stay active, reduce stress, etc.

                      I think that Oncologist should revise his statement and get back to the basics.
                      Last edited by Peerless; 05-01-2020, 07:03 AM.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by RunYouOver View Post
                        We are likely, at a minimum, 3 weeks away still. I've put off attempting to cut my hair for as long as I can go, I think. At least need to trim, I haven't gone this long without a haircut in my life
                        Three weeks ago, I shaved ALL my head hair off since I didn't know when I will get my next haircut! It's slowly coming back!

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by johntbronco View Post
                          Three weeks ago, I shaved ALL my head hair off since I didn't know when I will get my next haircut! It's slowly coming back!
                          You look marvellous!!! (my laptop has extra capability, and I can see everyone).

                          *hey dude over there, stop giving me a dirty look!!!

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Peerless View Post
                            That is very interesting..... but it's the complete opposite of what I would tell my father (who has been undergoing chemo for metastatic soft tissue sarcoma). I know I don't have an MD next to my name, but there's a difference between me, you, my father, and your friend. You and I could test our immune system and its 'strength' against Covid19 in the open. Heck, I'm sure we both have fought agains the virus and have possibly deflected it.

                            But for someone who is already immunocompromised, I think that is a foolish statement to tell a patient and is literally putting someone at risk. An immunocompromised person and their white count doesn't get better because of human to human interaction. It all revolves about living and trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle - eat right, be hygienic, get good sleep, try and stay active, reduce stress, etc.

                            I think that Oncologist should revise his statement and get back to the basics.
                            I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss concepts on the immune system and social interactions. It’s an extremely complex subject and the information, despite many advances, will continue to evolve.

                            Take a look at this article on research about social interactions and potential relationship with pathogens and immune response.

                            https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0713143156.htm

                            Regarding hygiene some practices can be counter intuitive, as in killing healthy normal flora with hand sanitizers which reduces our ability to naturally fight harmful bacteria.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
                              “Sweden’s death rate — without a shutdown and massive unemployment — is lower than that of the seven hardest-hit U.S. states,

                              The vast majority of Sweden’s coronavirus deaths, 86 percent, have come from its elderly population.
                              Hey pal...Sweden is an interesting study for sure.

                              This is highly inconclusive what I will present. Just one piece of raw data, and it may change in the near future. As of the latest numbers I can find, Sweden's covid mortality rate (per capita) is about 3 times that of Canada's.

                              This does not account for the end game of health and economics, which is a massive undertaking, and I suggest, may take many months or years to even compare...if ever. Possibly even the reported numbers are collected differently. But it also does not include those permanently physically damaged by the virus.

                              I am fully aware as well that there are a multitude of factors involved with each country: density of population. proximity to other countries, healthcare, timing, infrastructure (ie. clean/safe public transport), population travel to other countries, and so much more. For sake of this comparison, Canada's median age is about 1 year higher than Sweden's. And some parts of Canada are in the process of loosening restrictions.

                              So this is surface data only. Therefore it will be interesting to follow, both in terms of health and economics. And be clear, I am sure Canada has made mistakes.

                              And maybe it will be weighted by values in the end....not just between these 2 countries.

                              ~~~~~

                              Regardless, whether young or old, weakened condition or not, some of this is related to basic personal values. And one never knows what they would give up if they were given a choice, when losing a loved one or them being permanently physically damaged, or even worse, more than one loved one. It's an awful dilemma. Put a face to it and it can change everything.

                              Finally, if nothing else, I think we should respect others by doing what we can not to spread this virus, because "like the flu", that is not advisable. And now that a treatment may only be months away (though it may be too early to say), I would hate to get it or spread it to a vulnerable person, when we are so close to a potential fix.

                              Just a comment. Not a comprehensive study. Much of it personal belief.

                              Comment


                              • Small consolations at this time:

                                1) We will be better prepared for future pandemics, because the probability is there.
                                2) Public transportation will get a good, close look, as will other aspects of the way we live. NY for sure, in terms of subways. Probable good infrastructure projects.
                                3) We know now what we knew before, and moreso...most of us have a real bond with people. Possibly we will not take good things for granted.
                                4) Re-inventing ourselves is not always a bad thing, and can lead to smarter, even better ways.
                                5) Wearing a cool mask may be trendy!!



                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X