X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For all of us dying for some kind of athletic events:

sigpic

Comment

• OK gotta be a little older to get this one...
      sigpic

Comment

• sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
          For all of us dying for some kind of athletic events:

I'll bring the beer!

To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

• Good article today in our paper....related to Zoom/Facetime (and other media) meetings. Some fatigue setting in. It was great at the beginning, but if done too often can be a bit taxing. Interruptions. Pauses. Oh well.

I will not complain because it has "undistanced" us from loved ones. If nothing else, a good security blanket pending developments, and no doubt, has been very useful to many businesses and so many others.

And yes, you can have a professional meeting with your shorts on. There will be many stories told, years from now, how folks were partly dressed while interacting with a high level individual, maybe even won a job that way!!!:thumb:
            Last edited by CanDB; 05-01-2020, 01:37 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by samparnell View Post
              Sweden has the highest COVID-19 rate in Scandinavia including Iceland.

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-s...erently-2020-4
              Originally posted by CanDB View Post
              Thx Sam! Facts.
              Originally posted by CanDB View Post
              Hey pal...Sweden is an interesting study for sure.

This is highly inconclusive what I will present. Just one piece of raw data, and it may change in the near future. As of the latest numbers I can find, Sweden's covid mortality rate (per capita) is about 3 times that of Canada's.

This does not account for the end game of health and economics, which is a massive undertaking, and I suggest, may take many months or years to even compare...if ever. Possibly even the reported numbers are collected differently. But it also does not include those permanently physically damaged by the virus.

I am fully aware as well that there are a multitude of factors involved with each country: density of population. proximity to other countries, healthcare, timing, infrastructure (ie. clean/safe public transport), population travel to other countries, and so much more. For sake of this comparison, Canada's median age is about 1 year higher than Sweden's. And some parts of Canada are in the process of loosening restrictions.

So this is surface data only. Therefore it will be interesting to follow, both in terms of health and economics. And be clear, I am sure Canada has made mistakes.

And maybe it will be weighted by values in the end....not just between these 2 countries.

~~~~~

Regardless, whether young or old, weakened condition or not, some of this is related to basic personal values. And one never knows what they would give up if they were given a choice, when losing a loved one or them being permanently physically damaged, or even worse, more than one loved one. It's an awful dilemma. Put a face to it and it can change everything.

Finally, if nothing else, I think we should respect others by doing what we can not to spread this virus, because "like the flu", that is not advisable. And now that a treatment may only be months away (though it may be too early to say), I would hate to get it or spread it to a vulnerable person, when we are so close to a potential fix.

Just a comment. Not a comprehensive study. Much of it personal belief.
              The response to data first posted about Sweden indicated it was conclusive. Not a word about it being raw data or changing in the future.

Additional data was posted about Sweden, and suddenly it’s surface data.

One thing seems conclusive, if the data fits your position it’s an emphatic set of facts. When other data is posted it’s surface level, inconclusive, or glossed over (other data was posted for context about Sweden).

In terms of a potential fix so close, what would that be? Can you shed some light there?
              Last edited by Fantaztic7; 05-01-2020, 02:33 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                Small consolations at this time:

1) We will be better prepared for future pandemics, because the probability is there.
                2) Public transportation will get a good, close look, as will other aspects of the way we live. NY for sure, in terms of subways. Probable good infrastructure projects.
                3) We know now what we knew before, and moreso...most of us have a real bond with people. Possibly we will not take good things for granted.
                4) Re-inventing ourselves is not always a bad thing, and can lead to smarter, even better ways.
                5) Wearing a cool mask may be trendy!!

I like Billie Eilish.

Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
                The response to data first posted about Sweden indicated it was conclusive. Not a word about it being raw data or changing in the future.

One thing seems conclusive, if the data fits your position it’s an emphatic set of facts. When other data is posted it’s surface level, inconclusive, or glossed over (other data was posted for context about Sweden).

In terms of a potential fix so close, what would that be? Can you shed some light there?
                A lot of people do that. In this thread and others. You do it. I do it.
                Administrator
                sigpic

#LupusAwareness

#TackleCancer - Adopted Bronco: Phillip Lindsay

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

• Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post

I 100% meant "my calculation" is surface data only. In other words, by simply taking mortality rate over total population is very raw, and very inconclusive.

As for a fix, I thought Remdisivir, which Dr, Fauci mentioned, was a hopeful treatment, and possibly months away. I was simply referring to the enthusiastic and potentially positive news..

Comment

I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss concepts on the immune system and social interactions. It’s an extremely complex subject and the information, despite many advances, will continue to evolve.

Take a look at this article on research about social interactions and potential relationship with pathogens and immune response.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0713143156.htm

Regarding hygiene some practices can be counter intuitive, as in killing healthy normal flora with hand sanitizers which reduces our ability to naturally fight harmful bacteria.
                    I think it's a crock of crap that any oncologist, doctor, nurse, ordinary Joe would tell someone who has a compromised / weak immune system that they should interact and be with other people during a pandemic to try and BOOST their immune system and to prevent it from getting weak.

Crock. Of. Crap.
                    Last edited by Peerless; 05-01-2020, 03:05 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Peanut View Post
                      I like Billie Eilish.

She is so good, and her brother and her are a great team!!! :thumb:

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                        I 100% meant "my calculation" is surface data only. In other words, by simply taking mortality rate over total population is very raw, and very inconclusive.

As for a fix, I thought Remdisivir, which Dr, Fauci mentioned, was a hopeful treatment, and possibly months away. I was simply referring to the enthusiastic and potentially positive news..
                        Thanks for the clarification. More data will become available over time. I believe there has been a deliberate effort by some in the media to selectively measure Sweden’s outcomes. When their data is only compared with countries in Scandinavia, it doesn’t provide as much context. Their approach has been heavily criticized. It will be interesting to see how their decisions work out over time.

Remdesivir received emergency approval in the United States, a positive step. Gilead is donating 1.5 million doses (approx. 150,000 treatments) as a first step.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...id-19-n1197576

I haven’t taken a good look at the clinical trials. Let’s hope positive trial results translate to on-going positive benefits. It’s great to have a tool to fight the virus.

Comment

I like Billie Eilish.

That’s true. In this case it was in the context of Sweden, I thought it was particularly noticeable.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. More data will become available over time. I believe there has been a deliberate effort by some in the media to selectively measure Sweden’s outcomes. When their data is only compared with countries in Scandinavia, it doesn’t provide as much context. Their approach has been heavily criticized. It will be interesting to see how their decisions work out over time.

Remdesivir received emergency approval in the United States, a positive step. Gilead is donating 1.5 million doses (approx. 150,000 treatments) as a first step.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...id-19-n1197576

I haven’t taken a good look at the clinical trials. Let’s hope positive trial results translate to on-going positive benefits. It’s great to have a tool to fight the virus.
                            Sometimes media drives me crazy. Like most people, I check the source. Sometimes that doesn't help.

Hopefully, remdesivir does better than what happened with hydroxychloroquine. At least patients won't be shorted their meds since it's not being used for anything. I was fortunate that my refill of hydroxychloroquine was only delayed a few days.

Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
                            That’s true. In this case it was in the context of Sweden, I thought it was particularly noticeable.
                            Yeah, I was talking in general terms.

One of our pastors has a daughter that lives in Spain. He says that their lock down is more severe than ours. People are allowed out once a week for groceries and they need to walk there because they can't drive. I just read this past week that they are allowing kids 14 and under to go out and play. I'm curious to see what their numbers are with the virus. A project for me to do later.
                            Administrator
                            sigpic

#LupusAwareness

#TackleCancer - Adopted Bronco: Phillip Lindsay

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

• Looking for a blue light, in continued support of our healthcare workers.:thumb:

Don't have much....are we talking Christmas lights??!!

Comment

Sometimes media drives me crazy. Like most people, I check the source. Sometimes that doesn't help.

Hopefully, remdesivir does better than what happened with hydroxychloroquine. At least patients won't be shorted their meds since it's not being used for anything. I was fortunate that my refill of hydroxychloroquine was only delayed a few days.

Yeah, I was talking in general terms.

One of our pastors has a daughter that lives in Spain. He says that their lock down is more severe than ours. People are allowed out once a week for groceries and they need to walk there because they can't drive. I just read this past week that they are allowing kids 14 and under to go out and play. I'm curious to see what their numbers are with the virus. A project for me to do later.
                                Glad the delay was only a few days. Hopefully the on-going trials will prove a benefit.

Interim analysis with remdesivir met the primary endpoint. Patients who received remdesivir had a 31% faster time to recovery than those who received placebo (p<0.001). The median time to recovery was 11 days for patients treated with remdesivir vs 15 days in the control arm. Results also suggested a survival benefit, with a mortality rate of 8.0% for the group receiving remdesivir versus 11.6% for the placebo group (p=0.059). Not statistically significant but numerically better - anyone saved is a win.

The first trial participant in the trial was an American who was repatriated after being quarantined on the Diamond Princess cruise ship that docked in Yokohama, Japan, and volunteered to participate in the study at the first study site, the University of Nebraska Medical Center. 68 study sites in the U.S., Asia and Europe.

Excellent work by the NIH, Gilead and the treatment sites for pulling off a trial of that scope in such a short time.

If the reduced time to recovery can hold true in more patients, that would be a great benefit for patients and hospitals - it would free up capacity faster. The reduction in mortality would be a tremendous win.

I haven’t heard much about Spain. That sounds tough.

Comment

Working...
                                X