Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hadez
    replied
    It has been an eye opener for me. Hundreds of hours watching/listening doctors and scientists talk about various opinions on treatments, preventions and the science behind it. Then I went back and watched/listened to some of them again because almost all of this is new and I had a hard time wrapping my head around it the first time.

As an essential worker I felt compelled to go deeper into COVID19 than anything else before in my lifetime.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    Originally posted by Peerless View Post
    Well it's June 23rd 2021 and I'm randomly stopping by.

Hope everyone is doing better at this time, compare to exactly one year ago.

This thread and some of the conversations and debates has been a doozy to say the least...
    Hey pal....I am happy to say that all my family have received double doses, and things look good.

This was a doozy. You were one of the smaller group that knew what they were talking about. I like to think some of us got it right, almost throughout. It always came down to a number of key steps for me:

1. Follow the guidance, including how to protect yourself and others around you (even if it was imperfect, given how unique this virus was)
    2. Folks needed to be tested, tested, tested...followed by tracing/control
    3. No matter the process implemented, one of the highest level goals was to keep "healthy" and operational, the hospitals and their many employees (alias..."stars")
    4. Internationally...develop a safe, proven vaccine
    5. Take your medicine when it became available

And then there's the homework part...make pandemic planning/strategy a high level priority. There could be more, and they could all be different.

Leave a comment:

• Peerless
    replied
    Well it's June 23rd 2021 and I'm randomly stopping by.

Hope everyone is doing better at this time, compare to exactly one year ago.

This thread and some of the conversations and debates has been a doozy to say the least...

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    Thx Gents!!!

Hope you and your families/friends are all doing well!

Leave a comment:

• Hadez
    replied
    Originally posted by CanDB View Post
    Got my 2nd shot yesterday. I don't mind this sore upper arm one bit.

Early next week our family will all have had 2 doses. We've come a long way baby, since those dreadful days early last year, when doomsday was staring us down. Sadly, so many lives lost, sickness that may linger, delayed surgeries/procedures/observation, economic issues for masses of folks, educational setbacks and social time lost. But we can only move ahead. A good day seems to be near, for many of us.

Can't wait to see the kids up close and in person. Give 'em a hug. Coming soon!
    Great news Can. Enjoy the family time.

Leave a comment:

• jazzbodog
    replied

Early next week our family will all have had 2 doses. We've come a long way baby, since those dreadful days early last year, when doomsday was staring us down. Sadly, so many lives lost, sickness that may linger, delayed surgeries/procedures/observation, economic issues for masses of folks, educational setbacks and social time lost. But we can only move ahead. A good day seems to be near, for many of us.

Congrats Can. Full steam ahead in the world of "back to normal" at least as much as possible.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    Originally posted by Joshua2585 View Post

So, apparently I was wrong and wanted to issue a correction... for whatever reason the media has focused on Katalin Kariko and have sadly dismissed the actual inventor/discoverer of the technology... Dr Robert Malone:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/histo...cle-card_title
    So are you saying Katalin Kariko was not instrumental in the discovery? Everything I read still gives her serious credit.

Leave a comment:

• Joshua2585
    replied
    Originally posted by Joshua2585 View Post
    For those interested, here is a REALLY cool write-up of the history of mRNA technology. It's definitely worth a read. The woman who doggedly pursued this technology for decades after losing her grants, being demoted, and told she was wasting her time. I mean, WOW! Talk about perseverance:

https://www.statnews.com/2020/11/10/...-vaccine-race/
    So, apparently I was wrong and wanted to issue a correction... for whatever reason the media has focused on Katalin Kariko and have sadly dismissed the actual inventor/discoverer of the technology... Dr Robert Malone:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/histo...cle-card_title

Leave a comment:

• Hadez
    replied

FTR....I have mentioned the possibility of a lab leak here, after watching the scientists discuss it on Bill Maher last year. And I said it was important to comprehend given that it was relevant to discovering the best formula for vaccines and other potential solutions.
    While doing research on Covid19 I have found a lot of potential treatments and therapies to Covid19. I have also learned how someone who is not deep in the knowledge of Covid19 can definitely make bad decisions about the treatment. I know one example myself where I did not understand a treatment done to a friend and his family in Jan but end of February when a doctor explained the process of the Covid19 infection in a video I understood why my friend and his family went through that treatment.

Actually the more I learn about Covid19 the more I realize it is not easy to treat. Solutions are available we just needed to understand Covid19 more. I suggest people look into as many treatments as possible and be informed in case they get exposed.

Recently I have found one treatment in particular I find interesting as it is being used widely in other countries but not being used in countries with big Phrama interests like USA or even in the country that discovered its potential as a antiviral in April 2020 (Australia). The drug is Ivermectin. It will be interesting to see if it is ever approved in USA while monitoring the data as it is being widely used in other countries. Here is a video of people who state their credentials before they talk about it for fear of being taken down by Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSWjl-JOIqs&t=45s

The one thing I will add to this is while I have found a lot of potential things to help....some of them either need to be done before the Covid19 exposure (Immune System health for example) or need to be started quickly after the exposure.
    Last edited by Hadez; 06-13-2021, 12:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Hadez
    replied

FTR....I have mentioned the possibility of a lab leak here, after watching the scientists discuss it on Bill Maher last year. And I said it was important to comprehend given that it was relevant to discovering the best formula for vaccines and other potential solutions.
    Bret Weinstein would be a great member of the Bronco forums. I was first made aware of the science behind why he thought we should consider the lab leak theory on June 23, 2020. Even then he was trying to keep it more factual and less political....though keeping politics out of it was more difficult in June 2020. I think more people were willing to listen to the lab leak theory after Bret Weinstein and Heather Heying went on Bill Maher on Jan 29, 2021.

For whatever reason people did not want to even discuss it. Some people thought it was racist to discuss it. Social media accounts were being suspended. In trying to figure out how we get better as a society in dealing with this very serious issue of Covid19 and hopefully avoiding another pandemic we should explore every avenue of science.

Why do people want to not even talk about it? Why was it ok for social media to shut down the lab leak theory? Why were people saying it was racist to suggest the lab leak theory?

Back to what you were asking before Can...

When one starts to explore these questions then one starts to understand how human factors are affecting the news we get.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    Originally posted by Hadez View Post
    I am curious as to why people were being banned on social media for trying to suggest we should look into the lab leak theory? I am curious as to why a reporter who reports on Covid19 at the NY Times was saying it was racist to say Covid19 could have come from a lab. What makes this even more curious is all the research I have done tells me and many others there is more evidence to suggest it came from a lab leak than a zoological origin.

No one I listen to thinks we will ever know for sure where it came from. That is not why I chase this knowledge. There is a chance in trying to prevent the next pandemic we caused this pandemic. While that is concerning there are many questions we should be asking going forward on how we deal with the current pandemic and what actions we should take to avoid the possible next pandemic.

By trying to shut down conversation about one possible cause people are hindering the knowledge....why were they doing this? Even in asking this question I am not trying to say we should say they are bad people. I am saying we should understand as a society the human factors involved so that we can be aware of them and evolve,

I have other concerns but we can start here.

Leave a comment:

• Peanut
    replied
    Again, please keep the politics out.

And the personal jabs at each other.

After this many warnings, we will start handing out IPs.

Leave a comment:

• Hadez
    replied
    I am curious as to why people were being banned on social media for trying to suggest we should look into the lab leak theory? I am curious as to why a reporter who reports on Covid19 at the NY Times was saying it was racist to say Covid19 could have come from a lab. What makes this even more curious is all the research I have done tells me and many others there is more evidence to suggest it came from a lab leak than a zoological origin.

No one I listen to thinks we will ever know for sure where it came from. That is not why I chase this knowledge. There is a chance in trying to prevent the next pandemic we caused this pandemic. While that is concerning there are many questions we should be asking going forward on how we deal with the current pandemic and what actions we should take to avoid the possible next pandemic.

By trying to shut down conversation about one possible cause people are hindering the knowledge....why were they doing this? Even in asking this question I am not trying to say we should say they are bad people. I am saying we should understand as a society the human factors involved so that we can be aware of them and evolve,

I have other concerns but we can start here.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    Originally posted by Hadez View Post

When talking about how the media covers something obviously the implications are bigger than one topic but I would suggest to keep it to covid19 as that is what this thread is about.

It helped me when trying to understand how human factors will dictate media coverage to focus on one topic at a time. To me learning usually starts with one example at a time. Later on when I have more data points I will compare multiple examples.

My interest in this particular subject is straight forward. Covid19 been the most life changing event in my lifetime. If there is one thing I am going to research a lot it is covid19. If there is one thing I am going to look at all the different opinions and take a moment to consider them it is covid19. If there is one thing I am going to dig deep to understand the "why" in what is being presented to me it is Covid19.

Working in Avionics I was already aware of how "Human Factors" can affect everyone's job at work. It is required to be trained on Human Factors at my job when someone works on parts that were taken off of an airplane and will be put back onto the airplane. It was maybe a little easier for me to understand how the media is working than others because some of these concepts were already brought to my attention.
    I am ok with that explanation, but some of us (you and I) differed during the brunt of this discussion, so I try delve in when someone I clearly disagreed with is going down a path such as this. "The truth". How does one even know how to address this anymore, given the spins from some media/others, the naivete of many people nowadays, especially those who typically only read/watch those who say what they want to hear. Then again, I still believe that wise folks, who do research, and have that golden thing called common sense, will find the truth much quicker than those who are more interested in finding those who agree with them. For example, those who dig in deep on certain topics....because they are not open to changing opinion.

So yes, this is about covid-19. Much of the info we all received was pretty good, some was so so, and some was not good. Personally, I don't think this finding the truth thing is as hard as some may think, nor do I believe that the "biases" spoken of, are that hard to detect...in most cases. Sure, we all get fooled some times, but stick with proven quality reporting/journalism, beware of other views, and stay in a circle of common sense folks who are typically on the mark. There may be some disagreement, but if the parties are open minded, often they can sway each other in their direction...when warranted.

But back to you, what are you doubting overall, with regard to covid truth? There are issues for sure, but if you look at the bigger picture, for as much mistruth/spin, a lot of the good sources have been correct to a high degree....and I may be naive myself, but given the urgency involving the unknowns and the nastiness of this new pandemic, I actually feel like I was not misled very much. Perhaps the key element for me is how the virus made its way to the community at large, but I understand this is being investigated more thoroughly.

FTR, there is always a bit of "strategy" going on, even in the best organizations, that could be critiqued afterwards or misconstrued as "concerning" to some. In management you need a game plan, and even a wise and even spirited PR spin, to most everything you do....in support of being an honest group of high work ethic/factual folks. People who are not in the know sometimes think something nasty is going on, rather it's merely a smart team trying to do what's right, in a very competitive world. But the bottom line is that most of that management team could be replaced and the next group would do pretty much the same thing. Not because it's a sneaky business thing, but because it is the proper way to balance and manage profits/customer service/employee relations, to name a few components.

I see that model working in most organizations, to varying degrees. Of course there are the greedy/power teams, and those who fail in some aspects, but overall...most of us would approach in the same way as a good % of them. So not really bias, just survival with decent intentions. And though I have taken the media discussion into business in this dialogue, I see overlap in terms of how the world works. There are good everyday companies and there are good media types. But in the end, in this Internet world, with instantaneous, anyone has an opinion info at our fingertips, we are also a key player, because we have to pay a price for this highly sophisticated and timely technology.....a price based on the expectation that we don't eat up whatever is being served, by anyone, anywhere. Again, especially if we prefer those who say what we like to hear.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X