The Official Investing / Stock Market Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sophia23 View Post

I'm hoping for rebound. Pointless to sell now that they have had some extreme drops, but wishing I sold when they were at their high.
    Every wise financial person I know says stay the course in times of decline. For one, people never really know when to get back in, and can easily miss a slow but sure trend back upward. Another problem is when a person keeps changing their strategy, and often lose out by missing the best aspects of their strategy. And the really bad news factor, once you sell on a decline, you lose. On paper you lose nothing by keeping those stocks....but selling makes it a reality.

Folks can determine value in stocks, but they can never understand the sometimes irrational panic that devalues almost every stock when foolishness sets in. Sure, legitimate problems can affect investors, but panic can put selling on steroids. That's when the smart dudes sit back and enjoy all the gains that are awaiting them, once the devalued stocks go on a run.

Sadly, few of us know when stocks reach or near reach their highs. And often when you sell a good stock, it keeps rising.

Comment

• Did the rally yesterday give comfort, only to be crushed by the massive sell off today?

The Fed has to unload their multi-trillion dollar balance sheet. Stocks were propped up by the Fed and pandemic “stimulus” came with a price tag - highest inflation in 40 years, rising interest rates and stocks being crushed.

We were warned in 2020 this would happen.

Are you paying attention yet?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
        Did the rally yesterday give comfort, only to be crushed by the massive sell off today?

The Fed has to unload their multi-trillion dollar balance sheet. Stocks were propped up by the Fed and pandemic “stimulus” came with a price tag - highest inflation in 40 years, rising interest rates and stocks being crushed.

Don’t worry though, inflation is only 70% in Turkey.

Comment

Did the rally yesterday give comfort, only to be crushed by the massive sell off today?

Who warned us in 2020?

Comment

• Lived through multiple market “crashes.”

Middle class and people ascending to the middle class panic sell because they see red on a screen.

Rich people hold, then buy more after the middle class sell.

Market comes back.

Rich get richer.

It’ll be the same this time.

Disclaimer: Not investment advice.

Comment

• Noticed diesel hit new highs 10 straight days?

On the East Coast we’re at 18 million barrels inventory (3 days demand). Based on supply range and burn we’ll be sub 10 million in 3 days - way below historic low.

Better be stocked because it it’s going to be bad in June.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post

Who warned us in 2020?
                Federal Reserve money supply is public record, as well as that of most central banks.

Comment

Federal Reserve money supply is public record, as well as that of most central banks.
                  So they warned us in 2020? I was unsure of what you meant by the fact we were warned.

I for one expected inflation a ways back, by watching how money was being spent on hard to get goods. Pandemic, supply chain issues, with many people saving up money instead of travelling and going out. Though many suffered economically, a huge group built up savings related to money they would normally have spent.

It also affected the stock market, given all the new and low volume investors getting involved.

Comment

• Target had a bad earnings miss. Means we're in a recession for sure, Q2 going to be bad across the board.

Rough math, freight & transportation -30% to earnings. Apply that gross across the board and slowly but surely we'll get to 20-30% inflation number.

Market tanking.

Comment

Noticed diesel hit new highs 10 straight days?

On the East Coast we’re at 18 million barrels inventory (3 days demand). Based on supply range and burn we’ll be sub 10 million in 3 days - way below historic low.

Better be stocked because it it’s going to be bad in June.
                      Update: JP Morgan analyst forecasts $6 gallon gas ⛽️ average is US by August.

I anticipate a relief rally in the market, but we’re not near the lows. Deep recession coming with inflation.

Disclaimer: Not investment advice.

Comment

• The Dow is on the longest weekly losing streak since…1923.

8 weeks in a row.

Historic.

Comment

So they warned us in 2020? I was unsure of what you meant by the fact we were warned.

I for one expected inflation a ways back, by watching how money was being spent on hard to get goods. Pandemic, supply chain issues, with many people saving up money instead of travelling and going out. Though many suffered economically, a huge group built up savings related to money they would normally have spent.

It also affected the stock market, given all the new and low volume investors getting involved.
                          Turns out printing $5 trillion in less than 24 months is a bad idea.

Who would have thought?

Comment

Inflation has been an interesting story for a few years now. There have been major recent events (recent as in last 18 months I have seen reports) which imo do not make major news but have major impacts.

Reporting I watch the most says the biggest reasons before the inflation went crazy was cooperate greed. Some reporting of corporations raising prices but not actually paying suppliers more money. Some reporting of big equity firms going hard on buying housing contributing significantly to the housing price increases and most likely contributing to rent increases in some form.

Weakness in supply chains have caused problems. Specially to meat industries.

The gas craziness went hard after these factors were already months old and in some cases over a year old. The gas prices are not only a major increase in most households but also increasing prices of other items being purchased in the household.

IMO the heat we are seeing now is the result of many factors.

edit = gas was supposed to be inflation. Bolded and underlined the typo apologies. Tho cooperate greed probably also has to do with gas prices
                            Last edited by Hadez; 05-31-2022, 06:23 PM.
                            Let's Ride!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hadez View Post

Inflation has been an interesting story for a few years now. There have been major recent events (recent as in last 18 months I have seen reports) which imo do not make major news but have major impacts.

Reporting I watch the most says the biggest reasons before the gas went crazy was cooperate greed. Some reporting of corporations raising prices but not actually paying suppliers more money. Some reporting of big equity firms going hard on buying housing contributing significantly to the housing price increases and most likely contributing to rent increases in some form.

Weakness in supply chains have caused problems. Specially to meat industries.

The gas craziness went hard after these factors were already months old and in some cases over a year old. The gas prices are not only a major increase in most households but also increasing prices of other items being purchased in the household.

IMO the heat we are seeing now is the result of many factors.
                              I agree about corporate greed. I read that a significant factor in price increases over the last year or two is because corporations raised prices for their own good. In other words, they kind of blended their own increases into a multi-layered problem. I believe it is estimated at about 25% of the total price hikes.

Pathetic!

Comment

I agree about corporate greed. I read that a significant factor in price increases over the last year or two is because corporations raised prices for their own good. In other words, they kind of blended their own increases into a multi-layered problem. I believe it is estimated at about 25% of the total price hikes.

Pathetic!
                                My personal opinion is corporations saw all the easy money coming out of the government in 2020 and decided to raise prices to try and get some of that money.

The problems are complex. Not because they hard to understand it just takes more time to explain the problems than most people are willing to spend. Lots of bad decisions eventually adding up to a huge problem.

Crony capitalism one of the major issues. It is found at all levels and practiced by most..
                                Let's Ride!

Comment

Working...
                                X