Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peerless View Post
    Huge sale right now!
    Friend of mine said today the thing to do is buy some calls on fed cattle......
    [URL=http://s93.photobucket.com/user/Saddletramp69/media/asdf.jpg.html][/URL
    Adopted player Lindsey

Comment

Originally posted by underrated29 View Post
      My line of work, we see what happens before the market. In about 3 to 5 weeks it is going to bottom out. I would 100% recommend buying Royal Caribbean Cruise Line stock. They have a 22% growth over year, it is going to bottom out and then it will rebound in a big way!

You are welcome.
      How confident are you in that 3-5 week projection? Any specifics that might help you come to that conclusion?

Thx pal!

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
        Hey Brent and company....I have a bit of a concern for stockholders who do not look at companies for value, rather delve into "instant" speculation. Folks who buy and sell in short time frames, just to take advantage of very short term spikes/declines, do not add value to the marketplace, in my opinion. BUT much worse are the high speed computer logarithm based companies, that manipulate markets by buying and selling very large amounts of shares, sometimes doing both within minutes, perhaps seconds.....to take advantage of momentary movements in the markets.

Apparently they know how to make money most of the time, because they pick on the simplest of change....betting that it will last just long enough for them to cash in. These companies cause problems in markets, especially in volatile times. What some of us think are value related stock movement, are often fooled by the power of big computers, who have formula that are little about value. They capitalize quickly. The faster their connection to the market data, the better they do. And because they are so big, and their numbers impact the DOW, etc. they can mislead the rest of investors into false conclusions.

It is legal as we know it, but it adds no value, rather, often it messes with reality.

In the old days, people bought and held on for a long time. Stocks that were good rose steadily, though not quickly. But as greed took over, and smart folks got innovative, the goal of many is to have more volatility in markets, because that's how they can make money even in slower times. They do not mind sharp declines, because they look forward to momentary spikes. Look at today. Tons of money lost over the lost few weeks, but then you get a day like today...with huge opportunity. My gut tells me the logarithm based companies had a field day....even though markets are way down overall, since the virus and to some extent, oil countries took over the news. I hope for the best, but Monday might be not very good. Who knows. But again, those big high speeders are ok with that, because they will wait for another spike. It's pure manipulation if you ask me. Again, no value add.

Anyway...your thoughts?
        I totally agree with everything here Dave.

I still have the mindset of the folks in the old days - buy good value stocks or index funds and HOLD and contribute for the long term.

I'm obviously in the red for 2020, but I don't care. I'm excited to see what i'll be 10, 15, 20 years from now.

As history has proven, stocks always tend to go up over the long term.

Comment

I totally agree with everything here Dave.

I still have the mindset of the folks in the old days - buy good value stocks or index funds and HOLD and contribute for the long term.

I'm obviously in the red for 2020, but I don't care. I'm excited to see what i'll be 10, 15, 20 years from now.

As history has proven, stocks always tend to go up over the long term.
          If you go by one proven fact, markets rise in time. As long as you do not need that money in the next year or so, it is just part of the recipe, and it will bake as it should.

Therefore if folks are thinking of big purchases, they should have non risky accounts to park that money. Of course they can get lucky, by having it all in the marketplace. Heck, even GICs or high interest savings are a good place if you have a purchase plan in mind. GICs typically have penalties, so do not invest in anything longer than in the time you need it.

But Brent, if I was your advisor, I'd say you have it figured out. Warren Buffet and those folks have a solid game plan, and with their "excessive" money, they do buy in bad times as well. Rebounds happen, and how you manage the rebound is often how you make bigger returns.

As an aside....and back to my previous "concern"....imagine the money that someone could make if they were close to any type of influential leader in the world. Inside info. Imagine if you knew someone powerful in The Central Bank System for example, or anyone who has financial news to parlay to the world. Say it is a positive comment about the economy......guess what, huge market implications! Say it's bad news....a sell off will follow. I am sure people have benefitted over the decades. We used say, if Greenspan made a facial gesture of any kind, stocks will either be bought or sold, instantly! So if you had any lead info, which is illegal, you could prosper or save a load of money.

But hopefully good ole wise financial planning will continue to reward, in the long term, as it should.

Last point, be cautious even when smart folks give you tips on certain stocks, the kind you would not normally purchase. Because they may be credible to you, you might believe them more than you should. The reward potential may be high, but the risks are often as high or higher.
          Last edited by CanDB; 03-14-2020, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Fed cuts interest rates. Market futures are already tumbling.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if the U.S. institutes a total lock down within a week or two. If that were the case, I would guess another market hit, and I would be buying the next day.

Hopefully, COVID-19 is quickly contained, and the economy gets moving again. I feel like we're in the Twilight Zone right now.
              To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

On a Sunday?
                sigpic
                Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

I might try to refinance my house this week.
                  sigpic
                  Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
                    I wouldn't be surprised if the U.S. institutes a total lock down within a week or two. If that were the case, I would guess another market hit, and I would be buying the next day.

Hopefully, COVID-19 is quickly contained, and the economy gets moving again. I feel like we're in the Twilight Zone right now.
                    Yeah right? Literally just horrible news all around. We haven't even been too deep with this entire corona outbreak here in the US. This is bad, and leaves few instruments left once the recession actually begins.

I feel like the pilot is telling all the passengers not to panic while he puts on his parachute.

It's hard to stay firm and stay the course. I'm digging deep trying to not look at marketwatch or yahoo finance articles as often.
                    Last edited by Peerless; 03-16-2020, 04:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                      I might try to refinance my house this week.
                      Might be a bit before we see mortgage rates following suit, but I'm going to keep my eye out as well. I've read that there are soooo many applications that mortgage companies and banks are having a hard time keeping up.

Comment

Ooof, 2250 or -9.71% drop at the opening bell. First circuit breaker hit.

Yep, brutal week ahead...

Comment

Wow, what a slaughterfest. Down basically 13%. Just absolutely horrible.

Bad times folks. Bad times. Stay strong.

Comment

I may not partake of this interesting thread for a while. I tend not to do well thinking about spiralling markets.

Call me when you see opportunities!!

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                              I may not partake of this interesting thread for a while. I tend not to do well thinking about spiralling markets.

Call me when you see opportunities!!

Future are green at the moment.

Comment

Dead cat bounce today.

Comment

Working...
                                X