No announcement yet.

The Official Investing / Stock Market Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holy cowl, TESLA everyone!!! Whaaaaat is happening?

Tesla closes above $2,000 for the first time ever...
    1 year: +801%

YTD: +379%

Today: +6.6% to close at $2,001.83

Are we experiencing some major FOMO and irrational exuberance? Am I the only person in America that doesn't own Tesla stock directly?

Comment

Originally posted by Peerless View Post
      Holy cowl, TESLA everyone!!! Whaaaaat is happening?

Tesla closes above $2,000 for the first time ever...
      1 year: +801%

YTD: +379%

Today: +6.6% to close at $2,001.83

Are we experiencing some major FOMO and irrational exuberance? Am I the only person in America that doesn't own Tesla stock directly?
      Do you want me to buy some, to activate some form of correction?

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
        Do you want me to buy some, to activate some form of correction?
        Buy high, sell low of course!

But really.... what the hell is up with that stock? Wish I would have gone in on it not that long ago! Wowzer.

Comment

But really.... what the hell is up with that stock? Wish I would have gone in on it not that long ago! Wowzer.
          Elon is on a roll!!!

Comment

Elon is on a roll!!!

Daddy Elon will take care of all of us. Stonks only go up per him.

Comment

Daddy Elon will take care of all of us. Stocks only go up per him.
              Interesting that some of us have been surprised at how well most stocks have done in spite of a terrible situation in terms of health and economics. Given the market is usually a prediction of the future, say 6 or more months away, it does make me feel positive, given it is factoring in the pandemic health related concerns, economy, election and everything else that such "predictions" involve.

Comment

Interesting that some of us have been surprised at how well most stocks have done in spite of a terrible situation in terms of health and economics. Given the market is usually a prediction of the future, say 6 or more months away, it does make me feel positive, given it is factoring in the pandemic health related concerns, economy, election and everything else that such "predictions" involve.
                I hope you are right. I fear we haven't seen the worst of it yet. I was very surprised that my 401k recovered as quickly as it did, but at the same time I keep thinking we are ok right now, but feel like it will get bad again after the election in the US is over. I don't know why I feel the election is going to play such a huge factor on the market, but I feel it will.

Usually I'm looking for keepers when I pick up stocks, especially with penny stocks. I've had a couple that have done ok, others that stay even for the most part, and a couple that have lost. I hate when I'm forced to sell, because I need money. I prefer to watch them grow. One I picked up at about 40 cents a share years ago is around 8.00 a share now. May seem like nothing, but if you have a decent amount it adds up. I'll admit this one went through a reverse stock split a couple years after I bought, but even with that it's increased a decent amount over time. I do best with pharmaceuticals and all my worst buys have been tech stocks.

I often look at how long a company has been around and for pharmaceuticals, I look at what they are working towards and what type of success their having. With tech stocks, I suck at picking those. Wondering what others look for when looking at individual stock buys?
                sigpic
                Adopted Bronco - 2017/18 - Chris Harris Jr. # 25 :nono: to every player he covers
                Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
                Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
                Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton

Comment

Originally posted by Sophia23 View Post
                  I hope you are right. I fear we haven't seen the worst of it yet. I was very surprised that my 401k recovered as quickly as it did, but at the same time I keep thinking we are ok right now, but feel like it will get bad again after the election in the US is over. I don't know why I feel the election is going to play such a huge factor on the market, but I feel it will.

Usually I'm looking for keepers when I pick up stocks, especially with penny stocks. I've had a couple that have done ok, others that stay even for the most part, and a couple that have lost. I hate when I'm forced to sell, because I need money. I prefer to watch them grow. One I picked up at about 40 cents a share years ago is around 8.00 a share now. May seem like nothing, but if you have a decent amount it adds up. I'll admit this one went through a reverse stock split a couple years after I bought, but even with that it's increased a decent amount over time. I do best with pharmaceuticals and all my worst buys have been tech stocks.

I often look at how long a company has been around and for pharmaceuticals, I look at what they are working towards and what type of success their having. With tech stocks, I suck at picking those. Wondering what others look for when looking at individual stock buys?
                  I leave most of those decisions to our financial adviser, who is conservative but proactive, wise, and charges a very low fee. But if you ask me what I would look for, it is for the most part balance, in long term success companies who pay a dividend, and staying with most of those stocks for the longer term. But I would use a small % on some higher risk companies, maybe pharmaceuticals or tech, who are new but have some potential for liftoff, because their returns can be amazing....even though they have a reasonably high failure rate. But a small portion to higher risk companies can be a winner, but only if you are prepared for potential downside. The vast majority of one's stock portfolio is better served (for me) by long term success companies....sort of the Buffett model. But hey, there are many ways to make a profit these days, as there are so many financial approaches.

Comment

I know with high risk stocks I never invest more than I can afford to lose. I don't know that all investment companies are the same. I always get a little cautious when I try to buy online and get a message I have to call. If it is such high risk that I can't purchase without speaking to an associate, I am likely to bypass it.... but I'm sure people who trade a lot make money off those very high risk stocks, as long as they know if enough about when to buy and when to sell.
                    sigpic
                    Adopted Bronco - 2017/18 - Chris Harris Jr. # 25 :nono: to every player he covers
                    Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
                    Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
                    Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton

Comment

Solid start to the week. A very green day all around. Hope to keep it going!

Comment

Just my personal opinion but Tesla is more of a tech company than an automobile company. So it's hard to evaluate by comparison.

Right now Tesla is worth more than Walmart but Walmart makes 20x Tesla does

That tells me that Tesla's future potential is already baked into it's price.

It's not a buy now .........but if it shrinks back to say 1200, I would consider long term hold. (of course I could be VERY wrong)

The psychology of Tesla in the market still makes it a daily prospect if you trade though. It's great because it can move so much and so fast. If you ride the wave of some of the big money you can make some big cheese.
                        Red 98

Kareem rises to the top

Comment

Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
                          Just my personal opinion but Tesla is more of a tech company than an automobile company. So it's hard to evaluate by comparison.

Right now Tesla is worth more than Walmart but Walmart makes 20x Tesla does

That tells me that Tesla's future potential is already baked into it's price.

It's not a buy now .........but if it shrinks back to say 1200, I would consider long term hold. (of course I could be VERY wrong)

The psychology of Tesla in the market still makes it a daily prospect if you trade though. It's great because it can move so much and so fast. If you ride the wave of some of the big money you can make some big cheese.
                          I like me some Big Cheese.....

Comment

Red 98

Kareem rises to the top

Comment

Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
                              If nothing else, he built a BIGGER mousetrap!!!

Comment

Buy silver! Buy Silver! Buy Silver!

Comment

Working...
                                X