Alastor's Pub (1st installment)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alastor's Pub (1st installment)

Okay, first, some history. If you want to skip this... then feel free.

How this all started

When I was in Junior High School, a couple of my friends bought this book called The Book of Questions. It was sort of fun. We went through it together and learned a lot about each other. I bought a copy.

Over time, we started adding our own questions, or asking more elaborate questions, and I began writing them down and sticking the pieces of paper in the pages of the book.

When I went into the military, I decided to take it with me when I went. As a result, it evolved and grew, with additions from people from all walks of life as a result of being all over the world. It's been to five continents and no less than ten nations. My particular book has questions added to it from Muslims, Christians, Athiests, Satanists (or so they claimed), Jews, rich, poor, Kurds, Croats, Arabs, Phillipinos, Hispanics... the list goes on.

Everywhere I went for any length of time, I took the book with me and made new friends with it - some that I keep in touch with to this very day. I've used it on two Internet forums now, each one with resounding success. In each case, people have again added to the list of questions and thoughts, and the book has continued to grow. It's sparked a lot of debate and a lot of bonding among the groups of people I have used it within, and I hope it does the same here.

"The Book" as I now refer to it, currently consists of over 1,000 different, personal, revealing questions. The initial book which you can buy in stores had 200 or so if I recall right. There have obviously been some additions made to my version.

I asked a while ago if you guys would like me to share it here, and I guess those that weren't interested ignored the topic and will continue to do so, while others showed some interest. So... I guess that's good enough for me.

On another forum where I ran this a while, they eventually gave me my own forum and I got to name it. When I did I chose the name "Alastor's Pub" - so that's the version you get, because that's how I'm used to doing it.

If you guys want to add questions, just send me a note.

The Rules:

No weaseling. The questions have a designed purpose - sometimes they present the questions as "this or that" or "yes or no" phrases. Sometimes they ask things like, "If you had to choose..." and people say things like, "I'd do this hokey thing because then I don't have to actually face the consequences the question poses."

Attempting to "outsmart" the questions is neat and all, but it defeats the purpose of the question and side-steps the moral challenges we face in answering them. Sure, people can "outsmart" the questions, but then they're not really answering the question to begin with.

I'm not saying it's a rule you can't do that or anything... just... it defeats the purpose of the question if it is side-stepped.

Debate is welcome, beratement is not. Please don't do that to these threads or to other posters. Some of the questions are highly personal and deeply revealing; it takes cajones to answer some of these.

If you want to have pissing contests, do it elsewhere. That's all I ask, a little mutual respect for our fellow posters. If we don't treat each other with respect, there's no point in running a thread series with such personal and poignant questions within it.

Please explain why you answered the way you did. "Yes" and "No" are fine, but ah... clearly these are designed to elicit a broader answer - they're designed to begin discussions.

We will begin at the beginning, then go till the end; then stop.

Okay, on with the show:

For a person you loved deeply, would you be willing to move to a distant country knowing there would be little chance of seeing your friends or family ever again?
    Last edited by Alastor; 02-22-2005, 01:25 PM.

Originally posted by Alastor
    For a person you loved deeply, would you be willing to move to a distant country knowing there would be little chance of seeing your friends or family ever again?

Yes.

I'm not very close to my family to begin with and many would discribe me as hard an cold. I almost live my life as a hermit. Living somewhere else would not really change my way of life.

Comment

I couldn't...if you said 'not often' rather than 'never again'...then maybe i answer would be different, but I couldn't go the rest of my life without seeing my mother....I also don't think I could do that to my friends...at least a certain few of them.

Is that all i'm suppose to do here? I saw you said the purpose of the thread was to start discussion, not sure how my answer will spark any!

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

Do we like ask questions or do it kind of like the Question and Answer game?

sigpic

Sig made by me. Click top sig to view my Graphics Portfolio.

There are three things you can expect in life:

1. Death
        2. Taxes
        3. The Ball Being Picked Off by Champ Bailey

Comment

You can ask questions if you want.

I just start the threads man. You're free to do what you will after that.

Comment

No, I couldnt either.. I come from a big family, and the thought of never seeing them, not to mention my own daughters again scares me to death..

Comment

You can ask questions if you want.

I just start the threads man. You're free to do what you will after that.
              well darn it alastor..I want more questions.
              The only ones i ever come up with usual question what's for lunch, or what your pets name is.

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

Oh, also this one isn't a very volitile question.... some of them are. This one's pretty tame.

It might start a convo about families and such, it might not too. I dunno. It's just an interesting question.

"Ride the wave."

I'll post a new question every couple of days or so - real life permitting.

Comment

Yes, I would. To me love is about sacrifice.
                  Patriotic dissent is a luxury of those protected by better men than they.

Comment

No.

I absolutely couldn't.

Okay, my family has some ethnicity to it, but really we're just Americans now. All the same, I live in my Grandma's old house, which is across the street from my uncle. I have a cousin that lives a mile down the road. Until he went into the military recently, my little brother lived in my uncle's garage. My mom lives three miles from me. My sister lives 1.5 miles from me, and another cousin lives less than 2 miles from me.

My directly oldest cousin lives next door to the house that my grandpa built, which is across the street from where Shorty and Ida lived until they passed away a few years ago. They were sort of an additional set of grandparents. I still know their daughter, and their daughter and my uncle are best friends and always have been.

Next door to shorty lived Howard, who I think it's no secret, is in love with my aunt and has been since they were like five, and who was my dad's best friend. I know him well, I know his daughter and son. Howard's mom still lives in the same house, two doors down from the one my grandpa built.

Today I have spoken to my mother on the phone once, seen my cousin David for an hour, and Becky (my girlfriend) has his two daughters (Jenny and Jessie) out to the museum and Imax today, they've been staying with us since Friday. Friday and Saturday Josh and Evan came over for the weekend, their mother is the one that lives next door to the house my grandpa built - which by the way, my uncle still owns.

My grandma's appartment is about four miles down the road.

Last night (or maybe the night before, I was pretty drunk), my little sister, her fiance, the four kids, Becky and I all went out bowling for about five hours, and got completely plowed. Then we came back to my place and played games until about 3 AM.

My social life is entirely composed of my family. I have friends, but on any given day when asked by both who I'd rather spend time with, I'll choose my family.

I talk to each and every one of them at least once a month (cousins Scott and Chris excepted - they're busier than the rest of us), and usually more often than that.

Once a week we get together for dinner, and the entire family (or those who can make it at least) attend.

Girls come, girls go. I've been in love more than once. We only get one family, and mine is the best I have ever seen - I wouldn't want to trade with any of you.

No girl is worth that. My family is my best friend. I'd rather live my entire life alone, and I'd rather die alone as well rather than give up my family.

So no.

Comment

Hmmm, very interesting Alastor. Here I go..........

Yes! I would. For me, love only comes once. I married the true love of my life. If she , say, got a job offer in a different city and really wanted to go, I go! Simple as that.

Family is important, yes, but my one true love is just as important.

Besides, my family all moved away, so I would really be leaving them. I just spent the weekend with them in California, so we get together every so often.

Comment

I would,

When I was 21 I fell in love with a woman named Becky, the greatest woman I have met in my entire life. I chose to leave her to go back to my family (and a job) in Arizona. I figured, I'm 21 I will meet tons of great women who love you for who you are and not what you are. Fact is, Everybody I have dated and been involved with, will never hold a candle to her. Leaving Becky, without a doubt was the worst decision I ever made in my life.

Comment

Bummer SCI!

But that was my point. Sometimes we only get one shot at true love. You should make contact with her, she might feel the same way!!

Comment

Depends on how madly in love with her I am. So it's a Yes or No.

sigpic

Sig made by me. Click top sig to view my Graphics Portfolio.

There are three things you can expect in life:

1. Death
                            2. Taxes
                            3. The Ball Being Picked Off by Champ Bailey

Comment

I'm on the boat with NJ, if I'd get to occasionally see them that would be fine, but having little chance of never seeing them again, I'd have to pass on the distant country, unless the person I love deeply was one of my kids I'd rather see them all the time then be without them forever.

The earth is but one country and mankind it's citizens
                              Baha'u'llah

"Everyone takes turns making mistakes in poker. The trick is to skip your turn."
                              Mike Caro

"The all-in play works every time but once"

You can observe a lot just by watching.
                              Yogi Berra

every year.

Comment

Working...
                              X