Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ala's Pub #5

We're moving right along. Excellent.

If a new medicine were developed that would cure arthritis but would cause a fatality in one percent of those that used it, would you want it released to the public?

Originally posted by Alastor

If a new medicine were developed that would cure arthritis but would cause a fatality in one percent of those that used it, would you want it released to the public?

No, because knowing my luck, I would be in the 1%.
    ---IZAAK

Comment

No, live with artritis. It's like those pills for excema, side effects include diarrhea, head-aches, vomiting. Really, the illness is easier to live with than the cure. I'd rather not take the chance of dying with any of our elders.

Comment

I would say yes. Arthritis is a very painful disease that many people have to live with. As long as the patients were told that 1% of the people using it could be killed from it, then it is up to the patient to decide if he or she wants to take it. Other medicines you see advertised on tv have all sorts of side effects. It is the patients discretion if they want to use it and risk being part of that 1%. Don't want to be part of it? Don't take it. You can't die from it if you don't take it.
        Last edited by BroncosB2B; 03-01-2005, 07:15 PM.
        My Broncomania Adopt-a-Bronco: Rod Smith

Elway stops, loads up, throws deep down the middle of the field and Rod Smith's got it!

America is like your team, and if your not gonna root for your team then get the hell outta the stadium.

Madden Online Record 109-90 (7-3 L10)

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosB2B
          I would say yes. Arthritis is a very painful disease that many people have to live with. As long as the patients were told that 1% of the people using it could be killed from it, then it is up to the patient to decide if he or she wants to take it. Other medicines you see advertised on tv have all sorts of side effects. It is the patients discretion if they want to use it and risk being part of that 1%. Don't want to be part of it? Don't take it. You can die from it if you don't take it.

Very good point, adults are smart enough to know the side effects and if that happens to be death then they would have the choose not to take it.
          ---IZAAK

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosB2B
            I would say yes. Arthritis is a very painful disease that many people have to live with. As long as the patients were told that 1% of the people using it could be killed from it, then it is up to the patient to decide if he or she wants to take it. Other medicines you see advertised on tv have all sorts of side effects. It is the patients discretion if they want to use it and risk being part of that 1%. Don't want to be part of it? Don't take it. You can't die from it if you don't take it.
            Very excellent point B2B. I would have to say the same. I was going to say something similar to this. In the long run, I don't think they would release a drug that could potentially cause death. That being said, I know that a large amount of drugs can and do cause death if used improperly. However, in this case if one of the main side effects was in fact death, I don't think people would feel so free to use it.

I could very well have arthritis when I'm older (I already have achey bones), however if I knew that a drug could potentially kill me--especially with my medical record--I don't believe I would use it. I know there are other alternatives to aide in containing arthritis, such as operations, other lesser medicines and the like.
            sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

Yes. A lot of medicines we use today have potential side effects with higher perentages than that.

Let individuals make their own choices, dammit.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
              You should check these guys out

Comment

I think that's errant to be honest. I think that the FDA won't release drugs currently that remotely result in a 1% mortality rate.

I looked on their site and couldn't find it though.

Of course, then we have the results of corruption and the drug companies controlling the government - and things like Vioxx get through still...

Comment

There are also medications that causes suicidal and homicidal tendencies, and those are anti- depression pills that they give to already suicidal/ homicidal people, including children and teenagers.
                  ---IZAAK

Comment

yeah, 1% is a very small amount, a lot of surgeries have a higher fatality rate than that, and my grandma has authritis and she's in pain alot, so it'd be nice to see her be able to rest comfortable.

The earth is but one country and mankind it's citizens
                    Baha'u'llah

"Everyone takes turns making mistakes in poker. The trick is to skip your turn."
                    Mike Caro

"The all-in play works every time but once"

You can observe a lot just by watching.
                    Yogi Berra

every year.

Comment

Working...
                    X