Court Voids Execution of Juveniles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court Voids Execution of Juveniles

Surpreme Court says it is unconstitutional to execute juveniles. It was a 5 to 4 vote. What is your opinion of the death penalty and juvenile death penalty?
    ---IZAAK

I think it's pretty scary that you were one vote away from it.

Comment

Well, at least we're only 40 years behind the rest of the west in this department now.

Comment

Originally posted by zero1307
        Surpreme Court says it is unconstitutional to execute juveniles. It was a 5 to 4 vote. What is your opinion of the death penalty and juvenile death penalty?

I think that the death penalty could be a great deterrent to potentially heinous offenders. Before we dive into that pool, I think that the US needs to totally and completely overhaul the Justice system. The "speedy" part of speedy and fair needs to be defined.
        In a case like OJ Simpson's where there is overwhelming physical, circumstantial and eye-witness testimony a killer should not go free because of the ability to hire the best attorneys.
        In a case like Andrea Yates' a killer of 5 of her own children should not be allowed to live in an institution that is state funded for the remainder of her life because she sufferred depression. So do I; But you don't see me drowning my children.

As far as the Juvenile death penalty.... I disagree with it just about entirely. With youth there is at the very least a potential for reform.
        I've walked these streets, a loaded six-string on my back, I play for keeps 'cause I might not make it back, I've been everywhere still I'm standin' tall, I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all!!:salute!:

Comment

Originally posted by Big Bad John

I think that the death penalty could be a great deterrent to potentially heinous offenders. Before we dive into that pool, I think that the US needs to totally and completely overhaul the Justice system. The "speedy" part of speedy and fair needs to be defined.
          In a case like OJ Simpson's where there is overwhelming physical, circumstantial and eye-witness testimony a killer should not go free because of the ability to hire the best attorneys.
          In a case like Andrea Yates' a killer of 5 of her own children should not be allowed to live in an institution that is state funded for the remainder of her life because she sufferred depression. So do I; But you don't see me drowning my children.

As far as the Juvenile death penalty.... I disagree with it just about entirely. With youth there is at the very least a potential for reform.

Very good reply!!
          ---IZAAK

Comment

I think that people who are willing to kill don't really give a crap what the consequences are to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by Alastor
              I think that people who are willing to kill don't really give a crap what the consequences are to begin with.
              I don't think that's true for all, I think that some figure they can get away with it...and greatly fear the consequences.

Comment

Originally posted by Alastor
                Well, at least we're only 40 years behind the rest of the west in this department now.
                The west?
                From what i heard on the radio this morning, we're the only country in the entire world that would allow juveniles to be executed via the government.

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

Originally posted by Big Bad John

I think that the death penalty could be a great deterrent to potentially heinous offenders. Before we dive into that pool, I think that the US needs to totally and completely overhaul the Justice system.

Yes, the Justice system, and especially the Juvenile Justice system needs to be completely reformed.

I'm not sure where I stand on the Juvenile death penalty... like BBJ said, there's always potential for reform, but that's just it... it's only potential. The current Juvenile detention and rehabilitation system relies so heavily on phsychiatric treatment and mental and physical sedatives that kids don't even know who they are when they get out. I know (first hand) that 80-90% of the kids who enter the system at a yound age are doomed to that system for the better part of their lives. A lot of repeat offenders will eventually be transferred to a higher grade prison, whether they're old enough or not, and damned to their best interests. It's hard to get out once you're in.

I guess I'd have to go with 'No' to the juvenile death penalty. The only circumstance where I could accept it would be something along the lines of a murder, where the offender was completely aware of what he or she did, with no insanity plea or anything like that.

Comment

What about executing adults with the intelligence of a child. Is that equally wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by EMCF
                      What about executing adults with the intelligence of a child. Is that equally wrong?

That's an extremely good and interesting questions!
                      ---IZAAK

Comment

Originally posted by zero1307
                        That's an extremely good and interesting questions!
                        Depends on the definition of a child. 14-17 year olds are still considered minors by our legal system, but should have pretty well formed senses of right and wrong at this point in their lives. Conversely, 13 year olds and younger may not have that same capacity. I feel as though execution is a good deterrent to crime, but I also have issues with how unevenly it is applied in our legal system. I continue to support the death penalty, but feel as though reform is needed. If a 16 year old kid, no mental defects or issues kills someone in a pre-meditated and calculating manner, I feel as though they would be deserving of the death penalty because, as I said before, at this point in his/her life, they should be able to distinguish between right and wrong.

This brings me back to the original question. If an adult with a very limited mental capacity, let's say the capacity of a 9 year old, kills someone...I would first say that I doubt it was a pre-meditated killing because I don't believe 9 year-olds possess the mental capacity to plan a killing and know the outcome. They may do it intentionally, but simply don't realize that death is the end of life (you can thank Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd for that). So I guess my conclusion would be that if an adult is medically proven to have the mental capacity of a young child, then no, I don't believe they should be executed because they are unaware of what the punishment actually means.

BTW, the numbers are solely for the sake of argument, I have no idea at exactly what age a person learns the difference between right and wrong...there probably isn't one because it probably varies, but I needed numbers for an example.

Comment

I don't think that's true for all, I think that some figure they can get away with it...and greatly fear the consequences.
                          Good point Big Buck, and I'd have to concede it's the case.

Comment

Working...
                          X