Widescreen Vs Fullscreen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Widescreen Vs Fullscreen

I went to Best Buy the other day and I over heard people talking about Widescreen and Fullscreen and one of them said " I hate widescreen, they put black bars on the movies!" This drives me out of my friggin gourd. So I just kinda laughed and shook my head. They saw me and said "See, that guy hates Widescreen too." and I said " Uhh, no I don't. I prefer to see the movie the way the director intended. The chop off the sides on fullscreen and pan-n-scan the movie. It ruins the framing and reduces the resolution. Makes the movie look like crap." Anyway, I went on for about 5 minutes explaining why Widescreen is better and these idiots still bought the "fullscreen" version. They shouldn't even call it fullscreen because your not getting the full screen. It's mis-leading.

fullscreen is crap. People who dont like the "bars" are novices and should go away.
    RIP D-Will

Comment

Here's a couple examples of how fullscreen ruins a movie

A scene from Blade Runner

In it's normal aspect ratio (Widescreen)
      http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...aderunner1.jpg

The Same scene in "Fullscreen" (misnomer)
      http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...aderunner2.jpg

See how much of the picture is cut out!!!!

Comment

Besides, after about 5 minutes your so into the movie that the "black bars" virtually disappear.

Give me widescreen or give me... uh nevermind, just give me widescreen, ma'am. Thanks.

Comment

the panning makes me nauseaus. I think if people are explained to the differences and why the widescreen is better they will like widescreen. My mom was like that, she absolutely hated not having a movie fill up her screen but I showed her the differences (using The Matrix) and she wont go back. I should start a class.
          RIP D-Will

Comment

Here's a good page with a ton of examples on the movie Lord of The Rings: Return of the King

http://www.widescreen.org/examples/l...tk/index.shtml

The shots of Rivendale and the massive Army's are totally ruined when cropped to "fullscreen". Some character's are completely taken out of the picture.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Knight
              I went to Best Buy the other day and I over heard people talking about Widescreen and Fullscreen and one of them said " I hate widescreen, they put black bars on the movies!" This drives me out of my friggin gourd. So I just kinda laughed and shook my head. They saw me and said "See, that guy hates Widescreen too." and I said " Uhh, no I don't. I prefer to see the movie the way the director intended. The chop off the sides on fullscreen and pan-n-scan the movie. It ruins the framing and reduces the resolution. Makes the movie look like crap." Anyway, I went on for about 5 minutes explaining why Widescreen is better and these idiots still bought the "fullscreen" version. They shouldn't even call it fullscreen because your not getting the full screen. It's mis-leading.
              Actually, there's a difference between Fullscreen and Pan & Scan but the movie companies don't think we consumers know the difference. Some flicks, particularly a lot of earlier Disney films, were intended for that ratio. But Fullscreen is definitely a misnomer in most cases.

Personally, even before I got my widescreen TV I still couldn't stand missing the extra material and I've convinced a lot of people I know to be snobs just like me. I love the example they have on the Star Trek IV DVD (the first release, not the new one) that showed absolutely how bad the loss can be.

Anyway, I hope they hurry up the process of switching television broadcasts entirely to Hi-Def because then the public at large will become much more aware of what they're missing and maybe they'll even stop producing DVDs in Full Frame (Pan & Scan).
              "You can't take the sky from me..."
              ------
              "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

WOW - learn something new everyday - although I knew that they werent black bars and that you see more I never actually compared the two too notice the difference - WOW

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
                  Actually, there's a difference between Fullscreen and Pan & Scan but the movie companies don't think we consumers know the difference. Some flicks, particularly a lot of earlier Disney films, were intended for that ratio. But Fullscreen is definitely a misnomer in most cases.

Personally, even before I got my widescreen TV I still couldn't stand missing the extra material and I've convinced a lot of people I know to be snobs just like me. I love the example they have on the Star Trek IV DVD (the first release, not the new one) that showed absolutely how bad the loss can be.

Anyway, I hope they hurry up the process of switching television broadcasts entirely to Hi-Def because then the public at large will become much more aware of what they're missing and maybe they'll even stop producing DVDs in Full Frame (Pan & Scan).

Yeah, for many years they used Academy Standard. It was actually the first aspect ratio used. That's why televisions were built on this ratio. 1.33:1 or 1.37:1

Comment

I have to go with widescreen!
                    ---IZAAK

Comment

Originally posted by JWinn
                      I was just talking about this with my wife today. Was going to make a thread-glad I searched first!!

I just bought my 5th or 6th copy of StII TWOK today at the grocery store. A vhs widescreen version. First time i'd seen one. (I have a very large ST II collection)

Anyway, I'm glad to see that everyone thinks like I do on this. I way prefer widescreen. I hate knowing that I am not seeing the whole thing, even though really, they cut out peripherial stuff mostly. I just like to get the whole thing!

She at first argued that I already had so many copies of this film, but when I showed her it was only $2.50, she relented.

Incidently, she bought The Incredibles for my kids and I gave her the what for for buying the Fullscreen version. I pointed out you dont get the full anything and she will hopefully remember that next time she buys a movie.

Widescreen is the only way to go!!

Thanks for making this thread already TDK. I should have known........

You don't have the Directors Edition on DVD?

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon

The problem with HI def is that the government is mandating a switch to somethin that, as of yet, the public has shown no interest in, so they can auction off the standard frequencies. I personally see no reason to buy an HDTV set until I have no choice, which will be far in the future. I had so many debates on this in college when it was announced.

As for aspect ratio, I don't really give a crap. If it's a good movie, it a good movie. Aspect ratio won't make it a better or worse movie. Hollywood and the FCC should just get togther and pick 1 ratio, and stick to it.

If they had true fullscreen, I would prefer it. I se nothing worng with full frame now anyway. And I am not a novice. I just see no way that aspect ratio has any bearing on the story, script, or performances.

And my TV is so small that wide screen is actually harder to see anyway.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
                        You should check these guys out

Comment

hey

Widescreen is so awesome.

I much prefer it.

When I rent a flick, and it says:

We altered it! We formatted it to fit your screen!

I feel a pang of regret inside.

I always try to get widescreen.

Often, a dude that is talking to someone and both are featured, on widescreen, so you see reactions and emotions and get more of the story,...well on fullscreen you only see the speaker speak, then when he is done, they pan to the listener, and you only get his look of determination, instead of the full force first impact of receiving the news, and dawning of understanding and then sheer determination.

It is no contest!
                          - Go Broncos 2017 and Beyond! -

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Knight
                            Here's a couple examples of how fullscreen ruins a movie

A scene from Blade Runner

In it's normal aspect ratio (Widescreen)
                            http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...aderunner1.jpg

The Same scene in "Fullscreen" (misnomer)
                            http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...aderunner2.jpg

See how much of the picture is cut out!!!!
                            The other guy is missing!
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jared
                              The problem with HI def is that the government is mandating a switch to somethin that, as of yet, the public has shown no interest in, so they can auction off the standard frequencies. I personally see no reason to buy an HDTV set until I have no choice, which will be far in the future. I had so many debates on this in college when it was announced.

As for aspect ratio, I don't really give a crap. If it's a good movie, it a good movie. Aspect ratio won't make it a better or worse movie. Hollywood and the FCC should just get togther and pick 1 ratio, and stick to it.

If they had true fullscreen, I would prefer it. I se nothing worng with full frame now anyway. And I am not a novice. I just see no way that aspect ratio has any bearing on the story, script, or performances.

And my TV is so small that wide screen is actually harder to see anyway.

It makes a huge difference.

In particular when there are scenes where the actors are on opposite side of the screen speaking to each other. Full screen of a 2.35 to 1 ratio movie cuts out nearly 46% of the picture!!! That's rediculous. It totally ruins scope, framing, emotion, tons of little nuiances that create the enviornment of the shot. There are lots of movies that are totally jacked up because of being chopped into full screen. Because I have them on Widescreen, it makes it hard to look at when I see them on cable in full screen. Take a look at some of those shots above and tell me that doesn't make a differnce in some scenes. It make a real big difference. You wouldn't cut up the mona lisa would you? I prefer to see the movie the way the director intended it to be seen.

Comment

Working...
                              X