Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is hunting a sport or just people wanting to kill stuff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is hunting a sport or just people wanting to kill stuff?

First off, I'm not a hunter but I'm not anti-hunting as long as the hunters eat what they kill. I don't particulary like the idea of trophy hunting but if it's legal as part of wildlife population control, I definitely won't condemn anybody.

But this is taking things too far:
    Hunting gadgets push ethical envelope

A San Antonio entrepreneur recently created an uproar with a Web site that aims to allow hunters to shoot exotic game animals or feral pigs on his private hunting ranch by remote control, with the click of a mouse, from anywhere in the world.

"The idea of sitting at a computer screen playing a video game and activating a remote controlled firearm to shoot an animal is not hunting," said Kirby Brown, executive director of the Texas Wildlife Association, a hunters' group. "It's off the ethical charts."
    This isn't even hunting, it's just people getting their jollies by killing something.

Anyway, the article mostly focuses on the techno-hunting gear getting so advanced that there is no longer much sport in this "sport" and ways to keep things "fair" for the prey. What do you think? Is this even hunting or is it simply killing?
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

yeah i tend to agree ,clicking a mouse to hunt is just killing,as a matter of fact so is hunting with a firearm!

dont get me wrong im not against guns,but i can only see hunting ok if:1.you use the entire carcass(the hide,the guts ,the bones,every part!!!),such as the case with native americans! and 2.you hunt with a traditional weapon,such as:a bow,a knife,spear,sickle,etc.,etc.

IMO,guns are to be used for protection aganst other people with guns,or military service!

its like fishing a trout stream that is stocked daily.mmmmm will i catch anything?

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
      First off, I'm not a hunter but I'm not anti-hunting as long as the hunters eat what they kill. I don't particulary like the idea of trophy hunting but if it's legal as part of wildlife population control, I definitely won't condemn anybody.

But this is taking things too far:

This isn't even hunting, it's just people getting their jollies by killing something.

Anyway, the article mostly focuses on the techno-hunting gear getting so advanced that there is no longer much sport in this "sport" and ways to keep things "fair" for the prey. What do you think? Is this even hunting or is it simply killing?

I dont think huntin has been fair since the gun was invented. The only huntin that has been fair since then is war, seein how then both sides are intelligent and are both huntin each other and both have firearms.
      Bronco fan from Packer Land.
      Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
      Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

I do not hunt...I don't really see the enjoyment in it...but that's neither here nor there, if someone wants to hunt, that's fine.

However, this is not hunting.

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

I agree. I have no problem with hunting, as long as it's legal, but where is the sport in this?

Comment

Just people wanting to kill stuff.

If it was a sport (i.e. competition), we'd let the animals have weapons too.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
            You should check these guys out

Comment

Originally posted by Jared
              Just people wanting to kill stuff.

If it was a sport (i.e. competition), we'd let the animals have weapons too.
              That reminds me of that kangaroo scene in Crocodile Dundee. Good stuff.

However, I do realize that wildlife population control is necessary in many areas. It just a sad result of humanity's ever expanding presence in the world.
              "You can't take the sky from me..."
              ------
              "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

That is not hunting.

I'm from Idaho...I know what hunting is, and that is not hunting at all.

I'm sort of not surprised that the Texans are going "big"?
                sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

Remember the movie "Bless the Beast and the Children"?
                  Talk about not 'hunting'.....

I AM a hunting enthusiast. Have been since I attained legal age (12).
                  Most animals I kill are eaten...but unlike my NA ancestors....I'll NOT be eating the entrails or wearing the skin or using the bones to make 'weapons', thank you very much.
                  The only thing I just kill for killing, are varmints (coyotes, prairie dogs, etc). Can't get much of a meal out of them, though.

This country was predicated on 'survival of the fittest', imo....and without hunting, game would become overrun with itself and starve or die by disease.
                  Having sanctioned seasons and harvesting predertimed percentages of them, actually contributes to healthier animals.
                  "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
                  tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
                  men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

The action that was presented in Javalon's article was not hunting at all, quite sickening really.
                    Where I'm from, hunting is a big deal come September. I quit doing it when I was about 17. (Just lazy, really) I have eaten, rabbit, squirrel, deer, frog, pheasant. I must say that I actually enjoyed killing more than eating. (A guilty pleasure that probably came with my age of 17)
                    I think that it is of paramount importance that people remain allowed to practice this. I would not refer to it as a sport, but more of a folk practice of basic survival. It takes a great amount of knowledge, preparation and tact to perform this action properly time and again.
                    I've walked these streets, a loaded six-string on my back, I play for keeps 'cause I might not make it back, I've been everywhere still I'm standin' tall, I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all!!:salute!:

Comment

Originally posted by rcsodak
                      Remember the movie "Bless the Beast and the Children"?
                      Talk about not 'hunting'.....

I AM a hunting enthusiast. Have been since I attained legal age (12).
                      Most animals I kill are eaten...but unlike my NA ancestors....I'll NOT be eating the entrails or wearing the skin or using the bones to make 'weapons', thank you very much.
                      The only thing I just kill for killing, are varmints (coyotes, prairie dogs, etc). Can't get much of a meal out of them, though.

This country was predicated on 'survival of the fittest', imo....and without hunting, game would become overrun with itself and starve or die by disease.
                      Having sanctioned seasons and harvesting predertimed percentages of them, actually contributes to healthier animals.
                      See, I would argue that hunting contributes directly to disease-ridden populations of game animals, (by subracting the dominant animals from the gene pool.)

Healthy populations of predator species eliminate sick and diseased animals, fortifying the gene pool. A true means to a "survival of the fittest" end, IMO.
                      Originally posted by boltzpride619
                      What's so funny is seeing all this mess that the Donks and the fans have placed on themselves. Can you say Raiders.

Originally posted by RunByDesign
                      True comedy is observing the Self Imploding Organization that is the Raiders and then asking yourself this question:

What separates them (Raiders) from us (Chargers)

Answer: Championships.

Comment

As a person who endorses private ownership of guns and as a person who supports hunting, I'd have to go with the unanimous verdict so far and say it is not remotely hunting.

I'd agree that it is unethical, and frankly, downright disturbing.

Comment

As a hunter, I must say that this is not hunting. Hunting is more than a kill, hunting is the experience of studying the animal, knowing it's habits, becoming familiar with its domain, and working hard to prevail on its turf. The article that started this thread has been well known to hunters for a few months now, and every hunter that I've encountered has been disgusted with it, as am I. There is no skill involved in this practice, one need not be an accurate marksman, need not be familiar with the animal, and need not study habits, habitat, or anything related to the animal. All that is needed is the knowledge of clicking a mouse...this is not hunting at all.

As far as predators go, in a perfect world, we would have enough predators to control wild populations, but most predators are also opportunists, meaning they will take the easy kill. Animals like sheep, young bovine calves, or other livestock are prime targets. The economic interests of the farmers and ranchers tend to outweigh the benefits of having predators in the system, so hunting is typically the only viable way to control wild populations.

The use of guns in hunting may seem objectionable to some, but remember that bows and arrows, spears, knives, clubs, these are all tools that could be considered unfair advantages against the animals. Regarding archery, there are different kinds of bows as well, longbows and recurves are fairly primitive in their design, while compound bows are more complex and capable of firing arrows at a much higher speed. Crossbows, which are capable of even higher speeds, are only permitted during rifle seasons in most states. The point is that the gun is merely another tool, a much more effective tool, yes, but few other weapons have the ability to control animal populations as well as the gun. If we were to restrict hunting to bows only, we would have to greatly lengthen the hunting seasons, perhaps even into spring when the mothers are giving birth to their young, which would be left defenseless if their mother was lost in that crucial point in life.

Also, for those who rag on hunting, remember what affect hunting has on animal populations today. True, there are trophy hunters that take only the best of the best, but many hunters consider any animal they harvest as a trophy, regardless of gender or size...I happen to fall in that category. Hunting also helped shape this nation in its very beginnings, when American soldiers faced off against the British, many of these soldiers had grown up in very rural areas and depended on hunting as a means of sustinance, and had become excellent marksmen. Their accuracy from long distances allowed them to use less conventional tactics and pioneer warfare much more similar to what we use today.

Comment

Working...
                          X