CBS and the NCAA Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBS and the NCAA Tournament

I have started a petition that has the intent of stopping CBS from having the NCAA tournament. This is because just like in the AFC Playoffs they force us to watch hours and hours of promos for thier terrible shows such as Numbers or Spring Break Shark Attack. They must be stopped.

http://www.petitiononline.com/ncaacbs5/petition.html

Dear NCAA Board of Directors,
    This petition is written with the hope that you will cease to televise important sporting events, especially the NCAA Division One Men’s Basketball Tournament and Championship, on the CBS network. The reasons why this is imperative are many and wide ranging from a lack of announcing talent to the lower overall quality of the broadcast video. The most egregious of these, however, is the insistence by the CBS Network to inundate their broadcast of high quality sports events with an unending parade of ads and promotionals for their normal programming. The CBS lineup (with the exception of the Price is Right) is made up of shows and network movies which exhibit either a lack of ability (directing, acting or both) or an extremely poor concept. In the majority of cases these programs are so shoddy that the constant infliction of exposure to them (even in only 10 second advertisement segments) has been known to bring about elevated levels of stress and, in some extreme cases, physical pain. For example, during the 2005 NFL AFC Conference Playoffs viewers were subjected to almost an entire hour of advertisement for the CBS series “Numbers” interspersed throughout the 5-6 hour broadcast of games. This is a show in which the main character is a genius math professor who uses equations and formulas to solve crimes alongside his brother, who is an FBI agent. This show exhibits the prototypical CBS flaws of coupling a show concept, which can best be described as an abomination, with terrible acting performances. We the viewers of the NCAA Tournament would urge you to not allow next years event to be spoiled by the unceasing barrage of ads for CSI: Miami, New York, Las Vegas, Survivor on a new island, another Amazing Race, and Spring Break: Shark Attack as this year’s tourney was. We, the fans, purchase merchandise, buy tickets, tune in to watch, and cheer for all of the endeavors of the NCAA to encourage great college sports throughout our nation. Please give us something back and stop this horrible cycle.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned
    My Adopt a Bronco: Champ Bailey

All the other networks push their lame shows when they have huge sporting events too.

The earth is but one country and mankind it's citizens
    Baha'u'llah

"Everyone takes turns making mistakes in poker. The trick is to skip your turn."
    Mike Caro

"The all-in play works every time but once"

You can observe a lot just by watching.
    Yogi Berra

every year.

Comment

Exactly...all the other networks push garbage too....
      Do you have any idea how many times i saw promos for House and American Idol during the baseball playoffs last year? ridiculous.

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

I feel you about the other networks but I think CBS goes to another level... I mean I hated the House promos but a show about a guy who solves crime using math is just rediculous

Comment

Originally posted by ARBroncos
          I feel you about the other networks but I think CBS goes to another level... I mean I hated the House promos but a show about a guy who solves crime using math is just rediculous
          Well....at least he isn't mentally disturbed and afraid to touch/be touched......
          "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
          tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
          men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

i'll give you the shark attack spring break crap...possibly the worst made for t.v. movie ever. (going by the commercials and promos of course)

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

Well....at least he isn't mentally disturbed and afraid to touch/be touched......
              God, how I hate that show.

Comment

Don't just stop there AR. Why don't you talk about how the NFL hypes up games every week, yet fails to show them in the major markets, like Washington and New York. For example, why do I have to get stuck watching a meaningless Browns-Bengals game when the game of the week is Broncos at Chiefs, two undefeateds back in 2003? Or Why do I have to watch Ravens at Cardinals when Clinton Portis is scoring 5 TDs?
                My Broncomania Adopt-a-Bronco: Rod Smith

Elway stops, loads up, throws deep down the middle of the field and Rod Smith's got it!

America is like your team, and if your not gonna root for your team then get the hell outta the stadium.

Madden Online Record 109-90 (7-3 L10)

Comment

exactly.. all are valid points.. I think also that CBS just seems to be made for old people.

Comment

Its free to you...- cable bills

I agree, but you do realise the amount of money CBS is putting up to carry these events??

Imagine if they couldnt advertise, you wouldnt have the ads to complain about, or the games to watch.

Comment

I signed, not for just the fact of the das, but the way they are broadcasted on CBS. I got the Wisconsin-Northern Iowa game over Duke and Deleware State. I got another crappy regional game over Syracuse and Vermont. I think it would be better to have several networks carry the tournament so more games are more avaliable to watch.

Comment

Ideally, ESPN could have the contract, so as to air games on espn, espn2, even espnu...i odn't see this happening though.

Comment

ESPN atleast has promos to stuff I would watch

Comment

exactly.. all are valid points.. I think also that CBS just seems to be made for old people.
                            No way......

Jag rocks!
                            and....um.....hmmmmm........er......NCIS......CSI: LV.....ummmmmm....Everybody/Raymond......2 1/2 Men....

Yah...yer right.....I guess it IS only for us old farts.....
                            "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
                            tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
                            men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X