Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BroncoManiac_69
    replied
    The whole scenario is disturbing. Those of us older folks (graduated in 1980) didn't have to deal with the mentality of today's youth. Throwing the sophomores into Loomiller Pond in Longmont was the worst thing that ever happened.

Some are saying around here today that it was a spring break prank but these types of "pranks" are not pranks at all. Since Columbine many schools have developed the no tolerance policy and these kids are told this at the beginning of the year.

The thing that these schools are worried about is the odds. 1 incident out of 1000 may be an actual event which is too many.

I feel sorry for the kids that truly get frightened from things like this and the staffs at these schools dealing with these situations.

Leave a comment:

• Adrenaline
    replied
    Originally posted by Javalon
    Well, we're talking about teenagers here.

TEENAGERS = NOT TOO BRIGHT

(...in most cases. No offense to our teen Broncomaniacs.)

Most teens often fail to look at the larger picture and act much more impulsively than adults. "This'll be funny; I'll do it!" The idea of consequences doesn't always enter the picture.

Getting expelled is pretty rough. I hope the kid's life isn't ruined because she made a joke in poor taste.
    Yah but something had to be done. If they didnt do a goood punishment there would be more and more joke hit lists. And with that many they wouldnt know if one was serious. Just a thought

Leave a comment:

• Javalon
    replied
    Well, we're talking about teenagers here.

TEENAGERS = NOT TOO BRIGHT

(...in most cases. No offense to our teen Broncomaniacs.)

Most teens often fail to look at the larger picture and act much more impulsively than adults. "This'll be funny; I'll do it!" The idea of consequences doesn't always enter the picture.

Getting expelled is pretty rough. I hope the kid's life isn't ruined because she made a joke in poor taste.

Leave a comment:

• Vulcan
    replied
    Back in 7th grade, I was on a hit list. The dude I thought was my best friend wrote it. He was suspended for nearly 2 months. Supposedly he wanted to kill them on Febuary 2nd, 2002. Because he wanted his tombstone to read Died: 02/02/02. If I was him, I would kill myself on June 6th, 2006. He's into that sort of them.

Leave a comment:

• mattos
    replied
    i wouldn't be surprised if it was a joke - i probably made a hit list or two when i was in elementary school - back when i was in a 2 man gang with the other kid in my neighborhood, my codename was fang and my weapon of choice was the bo (ala the ningia turtle donatelo). needless to say, our gang posed no real threat to anything.

in high school a friend of mine wrote a note to a girl (she was mad at a teacher for something that high schoolers get mad about) in which he wrote "i'll help you kill him." now my friend was only trying to make the girl feel better but the note ended up getting found by a teacher (it fell out of her car at a gas station and then a teacher found it while getting gas - lol). they got brought into the principle's office but i don't think they got suspended or anything like that b/c it was pretty clear they weren't serious. now that's different from an out and out hitlist (and it was long prior to columbine et al) but it shows how things like this can be jokes.

Leave a comment:

• Adrenaline
    replied
    Originally posted by Jared
    I wonder why they see it as a joke? That is the question? I mean, to do it just to see what would happen? It's one thing to put silverware in the microwave "to see what will happen", but create a hit list?

Maybe she just wanted attention. She got it didnt she. She went to far though.

Leave a comment:

• Jared
    replied
    I wonder why they see it as a joke? That is the question? I mean, to do it just to see what would happen? It's one thing to put silverware in the microwave "to see what will happen", but create a hit list?

Leave a comment:

• Johnny Law Man
    replied
    Originally posted by BroncoManiac_69
    My son's school, Canyon View High School here in Cedar City, Utah had a rough day yesterday when a hit list was found with 6 names of students on it.

They located those 6 kids, called their parents to get them out of there, had a lock down with entire locker search etc. The hand writing was recognized by a teacher and they found the 16 year old girl that wrote the note. She said it was a joke to see what kind of reaction she would get.

Don't these friggin' kids realize this is not a joking matter?

My son had 2 friends on the list which obviously brought immediate concern to us.

The girl has been permanently expelled with the no tolerance rule falling into play.

Monkey see, monkey do. This has become an awful trend since Columbine. It is almost inevitable in some ways.
    A similar event took place at my Alma Mater (Adirondack High) a few months ago. The kid left a note with names and a date. About 1/3 of the student body came to school on that day. A very sad sentiment on where our society is these days.

Leave a comment:

• BroncoManiac_69
    started a topic Hit List At Our Local High School

Hit List At Our Local High School

My son's school, Canyon View High School here in Cedar City, Utah had a rough day yesterday when a hit list was found with 6 names of students on it.

They located those 6 kids, called their parents to get them out of there, had a lock down with entire locker search etc. The hand writing was recognized by a teacher and they found the 16 year old girl that wrote the note. She said it was a joke to see what kind of reaction she would get.

Don't these friggin' kids realize this is not a joking matter?

My son had 2 friends on the list which obviously brought immediate concern to us.

The girl has been permanently expelled with the no tolerance rule falling into play.
Working...
X