U.S. F-18's To Receive Revolutionary Radar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. F-18's To Receive Revolutionary Radar

As part of a continuing program to keep America's fighters ahead of those of any potential competitor, Boeing has debuted the newest version of the F-18 Super Hornet, equipped with a revolutionary radar that will give the fighter the ability to simultaneously conduct air-to-air and air-to-ground attacks.

The new radar provides high resolution images of desired targets even at extreme range, scanning its field of vision at nearly light speed.

A key aspect of the new upgrade is the full integration of this new radar with weapons command and control, providing the F-18 with unprecedented strike capabilities.

See:

http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/...r_050421m.html

Cool! This was always my favorite airplane since the Blue Angels started using it. Plus, I own Raytheon stock!!!!!

Comment

Few things that are not mentioned. Firstly, the US Navy's rules for engagement mean the pilots have to visually identify a potential air threat before firing a missile, unless they are fired on first. Secondly, this radar is just a newer version of the one on the F-14, that it uses for its phoenix missiles, too bad the F-18 cant carry those super long range missiles. Another thing worth mentioning, if i am correct, and i doubt they have changed it. To get very high resolution on a target the scanning mode will need to be changed to a focused scan which limits the field to a very narrow area. The aircraft would be un-able to scan for aircraft that may appear outside the radars corridor during this mode. The F-18 is still going to end up being seriously outclassed by the new JSF, F-22 and Eurofighter Typhoon, it cant do the tasks of the F-14, and i see it being a huge waste of money in the long run. But god bless the navy for trying.
      "On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high."
      Ayrton Senna..

Comment

I read a report in the Air Force Times (I think) that said in a recent test, the F-22 was engaged by five F-15s. It said the battle was over in less than 30 seconds. F-22 - 5, F-15s - 0. WOW
        "Oh I Have Slipped The Surly Bonds of Earth... Put Out My Hand And Touched the Face of God"

-Rest In Peace, Darrent & Damien

Comment

30 seconds, no. But i certainly believe the F-22 taking them all out in rather quick fashion. Two F-15E's from the US airforce base (in lakenheath i belive), here in the UK jumped a eurofighter on a training mission, now these F15E pilots are from the best squad in the world supposedly. Within a minute one F15 was taken out with a simulated kill and the other had tried to run but couldn't. It just shows the true gap between todays modern fighter and the old dogs. And prooves despite the high costs, these new replacements are well worth it.
          "On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high."
          Ayrton Senna..

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Knight
            As part of a continuing program to keep America's fighters ahead of those of any potential competitor, Boeing has debuted the newest version of the F-18 Super Hornet, equipped with a revolutionary radar that will give the fighter the ability to simultaneously conduct air-to-air and air-to-ground attacks.

The new radar provides high resolution images of desired targets even at extreme range, scanning its field of vision at nearly light speed.

A key aspect of the new upgrade is the full integration of this new radar with weapons command and control, providing the F-18 with unprecedented strike capabilities.

See:

http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/...r_050421m.html
            Cool! I want one!!!
            "You can't take the sky from me..."
            ------
            "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Originally posted by y2cragie
              30 seconds, no. But i certainly believe the F-22 taking them all out in rather quick fashion. Two F-15E's from the US airforce base (in lakenheath i belive), here in the UK jumped a eurofighter on a training mission, now these F15E pilots are from the best squad in the world supposedly. Within a minute one F15 was taken out with a simulated kill and the other had tried to run but couldn't. It just shows the true gap between todays modern fighter and the old dogs. And prooves despite the high costs, these new replacements are well worth it.

I swear I saw it. My time may have been slightly off, but it was EXTREMELY quick. I don't remember the details, but it seemed like the Raptor took out two of them immediately using "fire and forget" and was able to out manuever the others while engaging multiple targets at the same time. It was VERY impressive. Of course, now I can't find it on the web (I originally read the story in the paper) so I can't dispute you raising the B.S. flag. lol
              "Oh I Have Slipped The Surly Bonds of Earth... Put Out My Hand And Touched the Face of God"

-Rest In Peace, Darrent & Damien

Comment

Yeah I had that same system in my Mazda like 20 years ago. But I sold it for like 1500 bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by spikerman
                  I swear I saw it. My time may have been slightly off, but it was EXTREMELY quick. I don't remember the details, but it seemed like the Raptor took out two of them immediately using "fire and forget" and was able to out manuever the others while engaging multiple targets at the same time. It was VERY impressive. Of course, now I can't find it on the web (I originally read the story in the paper) so I can't dispute you raising the B.S. flag. lol
                  I dont doubt it, so much the situation isn't made clear, if it were head on engagement then yes 30 seconds would be right. If they jumped it from behind perhaps a little longer. I dont think its B.S. Just so you know
                  Ayrton Senna..

Comment

Originally posted by spikerman
                    I read a report in the Air Force Times (I think) that said in a recent test, the F-22 was engaged by five F-15s. It said the battle was over in less than 30 seconds. F-22 - 5, F-15s - 0. WOW
                    Yeah now, see...that makes me wonder.

The F-22 supposedly is a stand-alone fighter? Which meant it had unrivaled stand off capability, being able to engage a target from such a distance, that it does not even require the pilot to visually locate the advesary. The language in the article uses words like "unprecedented" strike capability and such, in regards to the f-18.

What I am wondering is if the system in the f-18 actually surpasses the long range capability of the f-22 or if it is simply more capable in the regard that it can engage multiple targets more efficiently.
                    Originally posted by boltzpride619
                    What's so funny is seeing all this mess that the Donks and the fans have placed on themselves. Can you say Raiders.

Originally posted by RunByDesign
                    True comedy is observing the Self Imploding Organization that is the Raiders and then asking yourself this question:

What separates them (Raiders) from us (Chargers)

Answer: Championships.

Comment

The F-22 is an Air superiority fighter, meaning its one and only job is control of the sky. It uses an Advanced radar with little ground scanning capability but exceptional air to air detection, much better than the F-18's new radar. That is because the F-18 is primarily a strike aircraft first, meaning its job is mainly Anti-ground and in some cases anti-ship. This new radar is not that good with its Air to Air detection, because the F-18 only to my best knowledge carries medium range and short range air to air missiles. What the radar does, is give the pilot pleanty of time to detect, identify, prioritise and target the various threats perhaps 80 miles maybe more from it, this gives the pilot the time to ready his Air 2 Air missiles and fire them once the enemy reaches the 20 mile range of the aim 120 (it might be more, i am not up on current US missiles.) The radar comes into its own for ground targeting, where it can give the pilot all its target information, many minutes in advance, it will also give the pilot terrain information, such as hills which could block a bomb after release.
                      The F-22 on the other hand should never be put into a situation where it can be jumped by enemys. It is a stealth aircraft and can put its long range radar to use identifying targets at a good 120 miles. once it is in range it will fire its missiles on multiple targets simultaniously and by the time said enemys realise they have a missile heading towards them, the F-22 pilots will be on the ground eating dinner.
                      Sadly, the F-22 cant make use of the F-14's long range Aim 54 phoenix missile which has something like a 60 mile range.
                      Ayrton Senna..

Comment

I fail to understand the comparison between the two aircraft.

The F-22 is an Air Force jet designed to strike enemy aircraft first. It's an air superiority weapon. LIke the navy's F-14. It has one purpose only.

The F/A-18 is a fleet based, multi-role , attack aircraft designed to not only defend the fleet, but attack ground based and ocean based targets as well.

Comment

My original intention for bringing up the F22 was to explain how the F-18 is no competitor in todays modern aircraft world. All this money being spent on an aircraft which is out dated and will be replaced in 5 or 6 years by the JSF. It just sort of went from there
                          Ayrton Senna..

Comment

Where do you guys learn all of this stuff about military weapons? Its not like it's in the paper?

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
                            You should check these guys out

Comment

Originally posted by Jared
                              Where do you guys learn all of this stuff about military weapons? Its not like it's in the paper?

The Discovery channel.

and this is a cool site

http://www.fighter-planes.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X