Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would You Rather...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Would You Rather...

    Well, if you had to choose, which would you rather see in our society? Innocent people wrongly convicted sometimes, or criminals allowed to walk free at times?

    Why?

    Does it matter which crimes we are talking about? Say perhaps, in cases of robbery as opposed to murder.
    14
    Almost all cirminals, and a few innocents sent to prison.
    42.86%
    6
    Most innocents and a few criminals allowed to walk free.
    42.86%
    6
    Other (please comment).
    14.29%
    2
    Last edited by Alastor; 05-06-2005, 05:53 AM.

  • #2
    I think right now the biggest problem I have with our court cases is it isnt really what you did, it seems to be how much money or who you are in society. O.J Simpson got off. Ray Lewis and Kobe Bryant did after very questionable cases.... (they looked pretty guilty to me, especially Bryant) I just find it unfair, even after high school the athletes get special treatment.

    Like they say: Instead of servin 20 to life, you get 20 hours of community service
    Bronco fan from Packer Land.
    Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
    Tweet me @JoRo_5551

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Alastor
      Well, if you had to choose, which would you rather see in our society? Innocent people wrongly convicted sometimes, or criminals allowed to walk free at times?

      Why?

      Does it matter which crimes we are talking about? Say perhaps, in cases of robbery as opposed to murder.
      Good question.

      I imagine myself in the place of the innocent man who gets put behind bars and I'm quickly convinced that I'd rather have a few criminals go free.

      However, the question becomes much more difficult if you start considering the occasional rapist, child molester, or serial killer that goes free. They might very likely go right back out and commit more heinous crimes. Is my freedom worth the potential harm that would be caused by letting those few criminals also go free?

      In the end, we need to do what we already do: Try like hell to put the bad guys away and not mistakenly imprison the innocent. Until we have some kind of truth machine to guarantee 100% correct verdicts, this system is about as just as it will get.
      "You can't take the sky from me..."
      ------
      "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

      Comment


      • #4
        Criminals walk free.

        The jails are obscenely overcrowded, the sheer amount of tax dollars going to waste insuring proper food and entertainment, combined with years and years of endless litigation make the current justice system a complete joke, and an insanely expensive one at that.

        Criminals have it better then most of the poor in our society. Many individuals hope to be incarcerated so their standard of living improves. It's asisnine.

        Let criminals walk, or get rid of the foolish "minimum reasonable standards" for what qualifies as a fair prision. They don't need TVs, they don't need "Boar's Head" quality deli meat. Prisons are a country club for half of these people, complete with sport activities and a free gym membership. As well as a free education. It's just ridiculous.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan
          Criminals walk free.

          The jails are obscenely overcrowded, the sheer amount of tax dollars going to waste insuring proper food and entertainment, combined with years and years of endless litigation make the current justice system a complete joke, and an insanely expensive one at that.

          Criminals have it better then most of the poor in our society. Many individuals hope to be incarcerated so their standard of living improves. It's asisnine.

          Let criminals walk, or get rid of the foolish "minimum reasonable standards" for what qualifies as a fair prision. They don't need TVs, they don't need "Boar's Head" quality deli meat. Prisons are a country club for half of these people, complete with sport activities and a free gym membership. As well as a free education. It's just ridiculous.
          Good points, Mat'hir. Jails should be punishment, not a good time. It is frustrating that a lot of those behind bars live better lives than many honest folk on the outside.

          I do think we need to reevaluate some the punishments on some lesser crimes. Maybe more mandatory community service instead of jail time would reduce the strain as well as putting the punishment for minor criminal activity to better use.
          "You can't take the sky from me..."
          ------
          "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

          Comment


          • #6
            MUG, I errantly posted the wrong thing earlier.

            I had found a list of minimum standards for treatment of prisoners, but it turns out that it was according to treaties we had signed with other nations, and is not our domestic standard.

            Perhaps you can locate something that tells us what the "minimum prison standards" in America are, and point me to the part that mentions prime beef and TVs?
            Last edited by Alastor; 05-06-2005, 10:25 AM.

            Comment


            • #7
              The closest thing I could find to a "minimum standard for prisons" was this.

              In fact, all the other documents I found on the topic listed "no unusual or inhumane punishment" and that's it. Other than that, most of the sources I looked at said that the prisons themselves set their own standards as they see fit.

              I'm missing the part that mentions the Cable TV.

              I do know that as a juvenile when I was... visiting let's say... such a facility, there were no TVs. I do know that inmates in prisons are entitled to their own property, and that some do purchase televisions. I don't know of any statue or law or anything that says any prison must provide that or any other luxury on their own however, MUG.

              Could you kindly point me to that to which you refer?

              Comment


              • #8
                no innocent individuals in prison. form the "perfect" system... haha, ya right.
                mum's the word.. cause it seems no matter what i say right here, it always gets deleted.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Well, that's just it. There is no "perfect" system available to us currently. Thus is becomes a societal issue of which side of the coin we would prefer to err on.

                  We can be tougher than is needed and make sure that most criminals do go to and stay in prison, but history has shown us that this sytem often incarcerates innocents frequently.

                  The other option is to be more lenient than need be, and reduce the number of innocents wrongly incarcerated, but the result is that less genuine criminals serve time.

                  It's a bitter little... "pick your poison" question I guess. I just wanted to know which poison most of us prefered and why.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Despite everything that has been done for the last few millennia to fight crime and get civilization into order, crime is doing just fine, thank you. Amid all the debates and measures repeatedly taken, does humankind have the answer? Have they ever had it? Will they ever have it?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Well... there is a direct correlation between economic well-being and crime rates. When the economy rises, crime rates drop. When the economy drops, crime rates jump.

                      So perhaps we're not so far from an answer as we think.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I think we'd be better off with more innocent people around....but the sad thing about our system is that it is wrong so often and innocent people sit in jail while criminals rome the streets.

                        So in reality the second option would be even better than the way things work right now...
                        sigpic

                        DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I would much rather let criminals walk free than send innocents to prison. Just think about it. A sane person is much less likely to try something again if they are nearly convicted for a serious crime. Emphasis on sane. But just imagine the desperation and horror of being sent to prison against your will, if you had nothing to do with the crime in question. Under a "let some criminals walk free but don't send innocents to prison" system, if I led a clean life, had a job, family, never got involved with any kind of crime, there should be no reason why I should be sent to prison.
                          There's more to life than the Denver Broncos. Let me know when you find it.

                          Hear the dogs howling out of key, to a hymn called 'Faith and Misery' - Green Day

                          "If I can not bend heaven, I shall move Hell." - Vergil (Aeneid VII)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by RealBronco
                            I think we'd be better off with more innocent people around....but the sad thing about our system is that it is wrong so often and innocent people sit in jail while criminals rome the streets.

                            So in reality the second option would be even better than the way things work right now...
                            I really hope it doesn't happen often. Sure it will on occasion but I'm hoping it's an extremely small percentage.
                            "You can't take the sky from me..."
                            ------
                            "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Alastor
                              Well... there is a direct correlation between economic well-being and crime rates. When the economy rises, crime rates drop. When the economy drops, crime rates jump.

                              So perhaps we're not so far from an answer as we think.
                              That would be fine if everyone could become rich. Isn't that a stronger indicator of character than of relative wealth? I'm sure you can name honest, decent people who are dirt poor and filthy rich people who are dastardly in seemingly every way.

                              The point is, while certain sociological indicators point to the rise or demise of crime, it has been with us in every single culture and political system to some degree. We can look at crime rate at a macrosocial level, but to the victim crime is at 100%. Is there no way to eliminate crime?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X