X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.strengthtech.com/correct/...l/luxurypr.htm

Comment

Okay, MUG...

But just because the prisoners have something, does that mean the prison has to provide it? I see computers listed on there.... but computers are also used for education, and if a prisoner buys his own then what is the problem?

Certain prisons may indeed do special things to reward certain behaviors or accomplishments by the prisoners... I don't see it substantiated anywhere that these are not special programs used as incentives by the prisons themselves.

Beyond that, I nowhere see that the minimum standard for a prisoner is that he have Cable TV and fine food as you asserted above.

I do find it rather preposterous that they have their own TV network that broadcasts R and X rated films... but I dunno. Perhaps that's a special incentive to get the prisoners trained to do other things (such as broadcast or be a DJ when they get out) and a reward incentive for special cases. I see no indication anywhere that it applied to the general population - and I see nowhere that that's a requirement that the prison must provide as you indicated above.

And of course, those documents and that bill are over ten years old. But I'll stipulate that it's accurate insofar as it goes (and I take issue with some of those items too if you wondered). It just doesn't go real far to addressing your earlier assertions.

Comment

I prefer a society that Huxley talks about much in Brave New World.

Comment

I'd rather be too safe than sorry, so I'd let some innocent and all guilty be in jail
          Administrator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alastor
            Okay, MUG...

But just because the prisoners have something, does that mean the prison has to provide it? I see computers listed on there.... but computers are also used for education, and if a prisoner buys his own then what is the problem?

Certain prisons may indeed do special things to reward certain behaviors or accomplishments by the prisoners... I don't see it substantiated anywhere that these are not special programs used as incentives by the prisons themselves.

Beyond that, I nowhere see that the minimum standard for a prisoner is that he have Cable TV and fine food as you asserted above.

I do find it rather preposterous that they have their own TV network that broadcasts R and X rated films... but I dunno. Perhaps that's a special incentive to get the prisoners trained to do other things (such as broadcast or be a DJ when they get out) and a reward incentive for special cases. I see no indication anywhere that it applied to the general population - and I see nowhere that that's a requirement that the prison must provide as you indicated above.

And of course, those documents and that bill are over ten years old. But I'll stipulate that it's accurate insofar as it goes (and I take issue with some of those items too if you wondered). It just doesn't go real far to addressing your earlier assertions.

There is a course called Criminal Law which completely encompasses your interest. All you need to do is go to the library and check out a Criminal Law book. It will discuss your theories of rehabilitation, the failures of that technique, and the failures of the modern criminal justice system, including the bestowal of benefits upon prisoners.

What you're asking me to research would literally take days to find materials to make a halfway decent memo detailing specifics about the criminal justice system and the prison rights movements including these perks. Because everything I type, you will just ask me to show where I learned that, when I'm learning it in class. You won't find much on the internet, you're going to have to look up law and criminal justice books. I have no problem telling you what I've been taught by professors, but I'm not going to go dig up documentations that back it up. I'll email my Crim Law professor and if she emails me back some citations, I'll post them for you.

If you want to try and make a compelling arguement, feel free to spend your time researching facts that show the things I said are wrong and cite back to them. Otherwise, I'll be very content knowing what I say is factual, and you can be very content thinking what I say is questionable. Perhaps when finals are done I'll be more motivated to burn all my free time finding sources, until then though, you're going to have to do your own research.

Comment

If you want to try and make a compelling arguement, feel free to spend your time researching facts that show the things I said are wrong and cite back to them.
              As I said before, the only "minimum standards" I find regarding our penal system is that of "no unusual or inhumane ponishment."

Beyond that, many of the sites I've gone to simply state that most prisons make their own rules.

I'll look into it more though if I get a chance.

Comment

Aww, man! Are you two going to start up again with the education stuff?

Gonna have to seperate you two!!

Or make you kiss and make up!

Just kidding guys. You two make it interesting reading here!

Comment

Working...
                X