Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what was your worst job ever?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • what was your worst job ever?

    Okay - i SO don't want to work today and am irritated with my job...but i know it isn't all that bad, and lord knows i've had worse jobs in the past. but it made me wonder: what's the worst or most ridiculous job you've ever had?
    Orange/Blue Girl in L.A.

  • #2
    When I was young...about 10-12ish, I would go and help our friends brand their calves. Since all the rustlin' was up to the older folks, my job was to hold the can. See, when they brand the calves, they also take care of the little bull calves and make them steer calves. The can was for all the testicles they would cut off.

    Yippy Yi Yo Kiyay!!

    Comment


    • #3
      well, nothinhg quite that bad, but in college, I needed some cash, and the school offered part time work for students. Either money or tuition re-imbursement. Well, tuition re-imbursements don't pay for dates, so I took the cash.


      Well, needless to say, it was hard getting dates anyway when girls found out I was going to be working as a cafeteria busboy/dishwasher!

      UGH!

      That's when I decided to at least take out a school loan. Allowed me some free time to have some dignity.

      It also showed me that most college kids are pretty immature. You should have seen the crap they left behind on purpose.
      I was so curmudgeonly about it, I got a reputation of being like an old man, and I was the youngest guy on campus freshman year!

      Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

      The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
      You should check these guys out

      Comment


      • #4
        My jobs in college and school were all in retail or food services... those can be trying, as people can be so cruel for no real reason. The funny one was...well, i think they have them almost everywhere...but there's this uh...Hot Dog place in malls...that sells lemonade...hee hee. Anyhow, if you've seen one, you probably know what i'm talking about. It was actually a great company to work for, but we had to wear awful uniforms, big hats that made us look like phallic symbols, and then jump up and down and make lemonade in front of everyone. We had men who would pull up chairs just to watch us as we did this. We'd try not to pay attention to their leers and comments, but i just wanted to chuck lemons at them...
        Orange/Blue Girl in L.A.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by orang/blu in LA
          The funny one was...well, i think they have them almost everywhere...but there's this uh...Hot Dog place in malls...that sells lemonade...hee hee.
          OMG I think I know what place you're talking about! I'm not positive though because you had to jump up and down? I don't understand why a corp would dress their employees in awful uniforms. It's hard to have pride in the co when they do that.

          I once worked at Dairy Queen back in high school. The store was small so in the summers, when everybody wants ice cream, long lines of customers would form that went out the door. By the time a customer got to the front, they could get to be really disgruntled. The high demand for soft serve would often not allow the mix(it's liquid) enough time to freeze in the machine, so cones would come out all runny. That's when things really went to hell because you'd have to tell people to wait some more.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Orange&Blue
            OMG I think I know what place you're talking about! I'm not positive though because you had to jump up and down? I don't understand why a corp would dress their employees in awful uniforms. It's hard to have pride in the co when they do that.

            I once worked at Dairy Queen back in high school. The store was small so in the summers, when everybody wants ice cream, long lines of customers would form that went out the door. By the time a customer got to the front, they could get to be really disgruntled. The high demand for soft serve would often not allow the mix(it's liquid) enough time to freeze in the machine, so cones would come out all runny. That's when things really went to hell because you'd have to tell people to wait some more.
            I'm SURE you're thinking of the right place... red yellow and blue uniforms, big awful hats. i had some pretty toned arms from making all that lemonade! it could be fun though - my manager once brought in some vodka and towards closing we spiked the lemonade (just for us!). i was a lightweight, and within minutes i was so buzzed i dipped the tips of my fingers into the hot oil when making a hotdog on a stick (there's the name of the place!)... THAT part was not fun. Now Dairy Queen, YUM...
            Orange/Blue Girl in L.A.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by orang/blu in LA
              I'm SURE you're thinking of the right place... red yellow and blue uniforms, big awful hats. i had some pretty toned arms from making all that lemonade! it could be fun though - my manager once brought in some vodka and towards closing we spiked the lemonade (just for us!). i was a lightweight, and within minutes i was so buzzed i dipped the tips of my fingers into the hot oil when making a hotdog on a stick (there's the name of the place!)... THAT part was not fun. Now Dairy Queen, YUM...
              It sounds like you had a cool manager!

              DQ could be fun too because I had some fun coworkers. Sometimes, we'd call up another restaurant and trade food so we wouldn't have to eat DQ all the time. Call me crazy, but I usually prefer main dishes to sweet dessert-type foods. I'd much rather go to town on a good lasagna than Blizzard. But looking back, I probably should have used the free ice cream privilege a bit more than I did.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: what was your worst job ever?

                Originally posted by orang/blu in LA
                Okay - i SO don't want to work today and am irritated with my job...but i know it isn't all that bad, and lord knows i've had worse jobs in the past. but it made me wonder: what's the worst or most ridiculous job you've ever had?

                To be honest with you the job I'm in just now is pretty crappy. I work from 8 till 5 with a bunch of numpties! I cant wait to find something new.
                Portis will be missed, but Bailey is the new Champ in town!!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Re: what was your worst job ever?

                  Originally posted by Fraser
                  To be honest with you the job I'm in just now is pretty crappy. I work from 8 till 5 with a bunch of numpties! I cant wait to find something new.
                  What are numpties? you have me curious! yeah, my job is okay - the problem is the HOUR AND A HALF it takes me to get home at night...and i only live 20 miles away. Alas. My boss should be out of the office for a couple months though, so that'll be nice... i can spend even MORE time on this board then! LOL
                  Orange/Blue Girl in L.A.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    i had a job where i had to go door to door to ask people if they wanted their house painted. for every name i got it was 5 dollars, and i got 10% of whatever they paid for the paint job (ex. if paid $3000 in total, i get $300. It was getting hard to get names so i cheated and said "il write your name down and then when i walk away, you can change your mind and they agreed, an easy 5 dollars! Needless to say my boss caught on and i got fired. Made a nice piece of change for a kid though.

                    also i worked at sonic's drive in for 2 years for only 5.15! my manager was a mexican. i didnt think that was low salary until i noiced that all the mexicans who were in their first day started at 6.00 and easily got raised to 6.50 after a month! I was pissed i tell ya!
                    dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

                    I tried to warn ya.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      im a bagger at our commisary and work for tips. and there is never anyone in the store and we have 20 baggers and we have to wait in line. i never make much any more.
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I dont consider my worst job, but I installed/cleaned/repaired septic systems for 4 years. My dad owns the company and I worked for him when I first moved here to Oklahoma and the whole time I went back to school to ge my degree. It really is not as bad as it sounds (ok, maybe it is to some) but I guess you get used to it. I'll tell you this, I had some kick a$$ arms though, with all the shoveling I had to do. Since my dad still owns it, I will still go out and help him on occassion.

                        His two famous quotes are...

                        "It smells like money to me."

                        "I'm #1 in the #2 business"

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by orangenblue420
                          His two famous quotes are...

                          "It smells like money to me."

                          "I'm #1 in the #2 business"

                          LOL! those are too funny!!!
                          Orange/Blue Girl in L.A.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I've had an assortment ot horrid jobs, mostly while growing up. Branding & doctoring cattle was fun, as explained by an earlier post.

                            But the worst was cleaning sewer lines in town (the mains, not the service lines). You'd have to run an augur up and down the mains and I don't even want to begin to say what came back with the auger, or what the most common cause of blockage was.

                            Part of this glorious job included cleaning out the "grit chamber" at the sewage treatment plant, which basically included everything that was not digestable.

                            Well, off to lunch.
                            Despite all the hype, once you finally get a hammer, you don't hammer nearly as much as you think you will.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              15 years old, the dry cleaners.

                              Do you know how gross some people are? Do you know how many people reak with B.O.? The things we would find in pockets were not exactly money. Use all your imagination.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X