Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thread for the Dead

Tell us about yer by gone Buds!

John Sharpe, of Indiana, at 15, got Emancipated. His Ma married an abuser, he stood up to dude, and broke dude's arm. That was that.

John worked hard, at 16, bought a Dodge Pickup, packed up, moved to COLORADO. That is when my friends and I met him.

I never met a man like John, so confidant, proud, and self assured, but kind and humble...not egotistical. I was like 25, in 1982 or thereabouts, and John fit into our group like he was 25, too! He got a job on a crew cleaning out Cherry Creek. For 100 years it had been a dumping ground. His crew started out by the Reservoir, and they cleaned every foot of it clear to the South Platte, landscaping it along the way, like you see it today. My friend John did that!

Once, he found a severed hand on the bank, near Lincoln street. That job provided lots of stories. Johnny bought a motercycle. He had his own apartment , of course. 6 months after I met him, his Ma moved here, to escape the abuser, and she moved in with John to GET HER CRAP TOGETHER! He was 16, turning 17!

I dressed as a soldier for Halloween in 1983. Johnny lent his real dad's medal for my costume. I promised to get it back to him. I never saw John again.

He was at Blaines house the day after Halloween, for a finish the keg party. Meticulas as always, John had his motorbike spotless. He even put armor all on the walls of his tires. Blaine said John hadcomplained that the Armor all had gotten on the tread, and the bike was "Slippy".

Not liquored up, John left Blaines house. As he was zooming along a curved street in Hoffman Heights, John lost control I guess. Road went left, his "Slippy" bike never negotiated the curve. Dude slammed into a big Elm tree. The Homeowner ran out side, there lay Johnny, butt on the grass, back on the sidewalk, head resting in the gutter. Homeowner heard a death rattle.

I miss John Sharpe. Not many of us remember him now. Prolly mostly me.

I have kept that medal in every single vehicle I ever had since 1983. It is in my pickup out in the drive right now. I think of John every day. (or damn near any way)

Young John Sharpe was the genuine article, a man among boys. He taught me a thing or two. I wish he was still here. I miss him.

I often make toasts to John, though there are few left who knew him.

As long as I keep his memory alive, he lives on.

Tell me about your lost buds!
    Last edited by Peanut; 05-22-2012, 09:57 AM.
    - Go Broncos 2017 and Beyond! -

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Sam Sebastiani.

From the winery, in California. That was his family. I knew Sam in High School in Durango. We shared a cabin together. Small school, 32 kids all lived in log cabins.

Lots of stories from my one year with Sam. His mother sent 6 of us to Super Bowl XVI, 49ers over the Bengals. What a trip! Long story there.

Sam was always in trouble. The year we lived together, I was on the discipline board for the school. Two students, two teachers, and the Headmaster. Sam goes and steals a package from one suspended student out of the mail. Somehow, he knew there were drugs in it. Turns out he was right! Along with expelling the already suspended student, suspending the the recipient, who was stupid enough to report it, I had to expell my best friend.

So he moves back to Sonoma. Works the family business, but doesnt stay out of trouble. He decides to grow pot near his family's vinyard. One night, as he is walking back with a huge plant over his shoulder, a spotlight comes out of nowhere. It the county sherriff! The judge gives him the chance to go to jail, or join the service.

Two years later, he climbs out of a nuclear missle sub, SSBN, and gets 6 months pay, and one weeks leave. He spends the whole lot on whores and drugs. 1st thing they do when he reports back is hand him a cup. He takes a pee, knowing whats to come. He out of the Navy faster than he went in. And flat broke!

He calls ME! I fly him to Denver, where he finally gets ahold of his mother, and he goes home after three days of telling me how he screwed up, again. This would be around 1984.

A few years go by. I get married. And one day my mother calls me. "Read the paper" she tells me. "Look in the obits". Curious, I go to the "death page". The headline story is how the heir to the Sabastiani Winery, Sam J. Sebastiani III, is dead at 28 or so. Camping with friends, he finds mushrooms. Never one to resist, he eats them.

Someday, I'll go see his grave. He was one of the best friends a guy could ever have. He would do anything for you. He just couldnt do anything for himself.

Sam had everything to live for. Fame and fortune was his for the taking.

I miss ya Sam!

Comment

Wow! About the same time frame! Thanx fer sharing that JDUB!

Let's hear some more stories about fallen angels! I know you guys, and gals, have 'em!

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Comment

Jeremey Davieu, I was in 7th grade and I am pretty sure he was in 9th... He had a messed up family life, drug habit, and a girlfriend... Things got to be too much for him and he shot himself in the head with a shotgun. That was, God, 9 years ago...

Nicole Lanard... Graduated with me from highschool. We sat next to eachother in a few class, hung out out side of school a few times.... The nicest girl you could meet, never had a problem with anyone... One night while driving on a back road, some how (no one knows) she ended up going over the side of a bridge and landing upside down in the creek below... they said if she didn't die from the crash then she drowned in the creek... It has been 2 years about a week or so ago...
        Last edited by Peanut; 05-22-2012, 10:01 AM.
        ---IZAAK

Comment

I havent contacted any dead people lately to see how they are doing, so I wouldn't know what kind of people they are.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DBfan4lyfe
            I havent contacted any dead people lately to see how they are doing, so I wouldn't know what kind of people they are.

Man, your not gonna have any idea what to think or do or say when someone your close to dies. It wont be so funny then..........................

Comment

Only one I got is my uncle jordan mcnight he was a great man.....I was named after him my middle name is jordan and I named my daugher after him , yep you guessed it her name is jordan.....when he died of cancer my daughter was only 1 1/2 years old but I took her because i though she should be there to see for one last time the spectacular man whom she and her father were named after. My uncle jordan was like my bud so I think it applies in this thread.
              Go Broncos, Capitals, and Orioles

Thanks SNK16

Comment

Originally posted by JWinn
                Man, your not gonna have any idea what to think or do or say when someone your close to dies. It wont be so funny then..........................
                My grandmother died, my great uncle died... Two people I was very close to in my life. I just have strong faith in my beliefs, and i'm not afraid of death.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DBfan4lyfe
                  My grandmother died, my great uncle died... Two people I was very close to in my life. I just have strong faith in my beliefs, and i'm not afraid of death.

Then tell us about them man! Dave didnt start this to make jokes about them. Or to have anyone tell us how tough they are.

It's to honor them...............

Comment

Originally posted by JWinn
                    Then tell us about them man! Dave didnt start this to make jokes about them. Or to have anyone tell us how tough they are.

It's to honor them...............
                    I waasn't joking around, I just wanted to bring some humor to such a dark thread. But anyway, I guess I can tell ya about them...

My grandmather, was the description of a perfect grandmother. Those grandmothers that you see on TV, that give their grandchildren everything in the world to make them happy, that was her.

But the when I say "Gave her grandchildren everything" I don't mean about only materialistic things, but I mean, she would give you the little things that would mean alot. Everytime she'd come and visit, she'd give me a pack of mentos, and I love mentos . This is what made her the perfect grandmother. She wouldn't buy you a car, or a video game. But she would give you a hug, or a kiss, or something small or little that would mean alot. She loved me and my brother, and my cousin so bad, that she would have given up her life for us.

Sadly, about 10 months after she died, my aunt had another kid. My 5 year old cousin, now, will never be able to meet my grandmother. I am sure that, my grandmother is now looking down on him, and me, my brother, and cousin and is just putting away all of the bad things that we do, and shes noticing all the good things we do, and shes probably saying "I had 3 great grandchildren, well, now 4." Because thats the kind of person she was. You know how your parents get on you/or used to get on you when you got a D or an F or something? And when you got a B or an A they'd just live on with their lives. Well, she'd put that behind F behind her, and she'd notice the A more than the F, and she'd give you the most confidence you could ever imagine.

And she was so gosh darn religious, she didn't goto church every Sunday. But she was one of the strongest catholics that you would have ever met. She'd give and give and give, but she would never take. She would say her prayers every night, and she had to own over 100 rosarys. It was nuts.

But unfortunetly, I don't know wether if my grandmother was sick or not when she died. But she gave up on life. She didn't care about her diet, or her life anymore. She would stay in her bed from dawn to sunset, every day. I loved her so much, and I was young when she died(9 years old), and I knew what death was, but up until about 2 years ago, I realized that I will never see her again, or at least it won't be for a long time.

To this day, I must say, I still love her as much as I did when I was 7, 8, or 9. When i'm older, and when I can drive, I will drive up to her grave once or twice a week, and just take a moment of silence or a moment of prayer. And I will say thank you for all that you have done for me...
                    sigpic

Comment

My Grandparents Avard...Earl and Anita Avard were a loving Christian couple who could not make children. Earl was a writer and Anita a homemaker. They had the love and courage to adopt two twin boys who came from a family where thier father killed their mother.

They lived kitty corner from my other grandparents. My mother grew up with one of the twins, Ted. She married him at the age of 20. They divorced 2 years later because Ted was legally insane. But, while they were married, they created a young child you have come to know as Big Bad John.

Grandpa Earl died when I was 13. It was the first time that I was subject to the death of a relative. Grandma Anita lived on for another 12 years. She became senile and died with her loving family all around her.
                      I've walked these streets, a loaded six-string on my back, I play for keeps 'cause I might not make it back, I've been everywhere still I'm standin' tall, I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all!!:salute!:

Comment

Sgt. Michael Uvanni was a 26 year old man from Rome, New York who died in Samarra, Iraq months ago. He was shot in the neck by a sniper.
                        What I knew of Mike was not positive. I remember that he was a trouble maker in the bar that I worked at. He had a very abrasive personality, to me anyway. He was loud, obnoxious and first to fight....He was also a Marine. He died in a far away land doing what he thought was right. (According to his family)

We should all thank who or whatever we call God for men and women like Mike.
                        I've walked these streets, a loaded six-string on my back, I play for keeps 'cause I might not make it back, I've been everywhere still I'm standin' tall, I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all!!:salute!:

Comment

Yaba

You got that right, BBJ!

Another time, another place, another war...

One of my best friends from High School, his older brother was almost through his stint in NAM, back in about 1971-1972. He had 4 days to go, and then (as the said) he would go back to the world. Dude stepped on a land mine. Blew him to smithereens. He never got back to the world. His little Brother, my bud, has never quite gotten over it. Dude has never seen "Saving Private Ryan" or an other war movie, my bud can not bring himself to view 'em. Life is funny. Funny strange, not humorous.

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Comment

We had moved from Grover (Colorado) to Greeley when I was 14. One of my first days at my new school, Meeker Junior High, I met LaVerne Walker. He was reputed to be the best athlete in school, quarterback for the team, even then almost a man among boys. Later in high school, LaVerne became a Seventh Day Adventist and refused to play any more football because the games were on Friday nights. (The Sabbath begins at sunset Friday and lasts until Sunset Saturday.) I remember he was ridiculed and highly resented because the kids thought he was robbing the school of a great quarterback.

After high school, LaVerne was drafted into the service and sent off to Viet Nam. Because of his religion, he was a conscientious objector, but he did not shirk his duty; he went over as a field medic. His heroics quickly became legendary, as news came back of the medals of valor he was earning, trying to save lives on the battlefield. One day, as I understand, LaVerne was blown to bits as he ventured into fire to save one more life.

I still love you, LaVerne.

After all these years, the tears come back.

Comment

hey

I could list another 5 guys who did not make it back from NAM, guys from our, my, my Dad's congregation back in the 1970's.

I was young, I did not know them well. It is enough to say they were pretty much like you and me, but they did not get the chance to grow old.

We are all lucky, and we sometimes forget that fact.

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Comment

Working...
                              X