Official Stop Smoking Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Stop Smoking Thread

So... About three weeks ago I decided I'd quit smoking again. Of course life turned into a great big pile of crap, so I had a few false starts in there, and spent some time cutting down prior to actually quitting... and am just now at the "no cigarettes at all" stage of quitting.

I've quit in the past, on numerous occassions with no trouble at all. Seriously, I had no real withdrawal problems or anything. I quit twice prior to going into the military, and each time had to actively try again to start smoking again.

In the military I quit off and on for various reasons. For starters you can't smoke in basic. After that, some posts in the military are non-smoking. Even if smoking's allowed though, you still can't usually smoke inside. If you're outside, its' generally unwise to light a cigarette in a combat zone for obvious reasons...

So anyway, I've always quit, and especially in the military I had to actually try to restart (long posts with nothing to do, smoking literally kept me awake sometimes).

But I got out of the active duty military over five years ago, and then went to college and then started my own company... and I haven't tried to quit in a long time.

In the past, by like day three all the symptoms are gone and it's just a matter of the mental addiction - which is really not a problem for me. It's always been about the physical addiction.

Anyway... despite my relative ease with quitting in the military, I had once tried the patch while I was in. What I found was that it sucked - it didn't deliver the nicotine in a balanced or consistent manner, and the patches were Hell on your skin, and I often forgot to bring a new patch with me, or the old one fell off while I was at work... so I eventually ended up with a patch on both arms, a cigarette in my mouth and a cup of coffee in my hand. Yet like two months later I quit cold turkey again with no real problems (it wasn't easy, it's never easy, but I did it and didn't strangle anyone).

Well... so this time around, since it had been so long and I had read all the stuff about the patch being so effective these days... I went and got the patch. It costs 50 bucks for 14 patches, which is 14 days. I smoke about a carton a week, so I'm actually saving ten bucks on the patch despite its disturbingly high price tag.

So it's now been almost 60 hours since my last cigarette. The problem with the patch is that it does continue to give you nicotine... so you're still addicted to the stuff, and you're constantly going through withdrawals. If I quit cold turkey, by now the physical symptoms (which really are quite unpleasant and truly do cause physical pain) have all but subsided... but I'm on the patch, so I'm still getting nicotine... so I'm still addicted.

The trade off with the patch is that the withdrawals aren't as bad, but they last ... a long ass time. But the studies show this is better than quitting cold turkey - and that it seems to be more effective and easier for most people.

On the other hand I've been rather uncomfortable for 2.5 days (almost to the minute) now... and the physical addiction is over by the end of the third day if you quit cold turkey.

It's agony, man. I honestly don't know if I'll be able to keep this up if the withdrawals don't subside soon. Seriously, I can handle three to four days of this, but then it's got to stop... the mental addiction is not a problem for me. I'm a heavy smoker though, and the physical pain of withdrawals is really something quite mind-boggling to most non-smokers. They just don't understand it, it's unlike any other pain I've had before...

In any case, I'm incredibly grumpy - but oddly productive. It's like I'm so damn wired and fidgety because of the pain and discomfort that I can sit still even less than I used to be able to. I've done all the laundry in my house, and sorted through almost every corner of my basement throwing old things away...

It's ludicrous how productive I've been. My sleep schedule is crap. My dreams are all f'd up... I went to bed last night at 2 AM or so, and woke up like an hour ago - like I just woke up and BAM! I was completely awake and wired.... and can't go back to sleep.

And I'm normally a big eater anyway... like for someone my size what I eat is absurd. I'm 5'11" and my typical McD's order is 4 double cheeseburgers and a large coke - and I eat them all in one sitting...

But you should see me now. Eating tends to curb the pain of withdrawal for some reason... and my God you should see how much I've eaten in the last two days. It's obscene. And yes, I've weighed myself. I've actually lost two pounds in the last two days... probably from being so active despite my eating frenzy...

I think cigarettes must get more addictive the longer you smoke, even if you don't increase the amount you smoke or the potency of your cigarettes... It must get worse with time. Either that or the patches still suck and I should have gone cold turkey.

Anyway, this is just agony... and I'm whining, and I want a back rub, and I want to sleep 8 solid hours, and I want a cigarette, and I want the pain to go away... and I guess I just wanted to vent.

Well keep it up ALastor.

Comment

That's it? That's all you have to say? I'm going through absolute Hell, and your response is, "Well, keep it up Alastor?"

And you can't even write my name correctly? Are you frickin' serious?

Just playin'. Thanks man.

Comment

We doin this together alastor?
        I had my last cigarette at about 11 am yesterday!

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

Dude, ROCK ON, NJ! You go boy.

I'd really like to hear how you're doing. What it's like, which method you're using, etc. If you feel the urge to discuss it that is. I have this notion that the reason it's so bad right now for me is because I am thinking about it... so your call. If you want to just hole up, cool, but if you want to share, I wouldn't mind hearing.

Comment

I'm 31... I've smoked at LEAST a pack a day for the last 15 years. Left to my own devices, I can easily exceed two packs a day, and at one point was smoking over two packs per day of Pall Mall or Camel filterless.

It's Hell for me... how long did you smoke and how long did you remain off the cigarette kick when you quit last? How much do you smoke typically?

Comment

Originally posted by Alastor
              I'm 31... I've smoked at LEAST a pack a day for the last 15 years. Left to my own devices, I can easily exceed two packs a day, and at one point was smoking over two packs per day of Pall Mall or Camel filterless.

It's Hell for me... how long did you smoke and how long did you remain off the cigarette kick when you quit last? How much do you smoke typically?
              If not a pack a day, than slightly under...maybe 5 packs in a 7 day period...if i'm just hanging out and doing nothing, I'll smoke more.

Ok, let's see here...I started smoking when I was 18....quit probably two and a half years later, only to start back up again right about when I turned 23...it's been about a year and a half that I've been smoking now.
              It hasn't been that bad for me, but then again, like I said, it's been about 24 hours! hard to judge at this point!...I need cigarettes more in certain instances...witha drink...after an argument or some other instance that produces stress.

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

The first 24 hours are the worst. Even drinking isn't as bad, though your willpower suffers massively from the alcohol.

So total you've smoked about 5 years, with a 2.5 year break in the middle and at a pack a day? That's pretty stiff man. If you've made it 24 hours though and are doing okay, I'd wager that contributes to my theory that it's harder to quit the longer (and perhaps more) you smoke.

I went and did some things for a bit, (more cleaning, laundry, etc) and it got my mind off it. I'm doing better now. Coffee makes me want cigarettes incredibly badly, but I can't be trying to kick two addictions at once, and it's not even 8 AM here yet... Christ I should have quit the coffee first...
                Last edited by Alastor; 06-10-2005, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Mark Twain once said, " quit smoking is the easiest thing to do, I done it a thousand times". I smoked for 25 yrs.....got up to two packs a day(stress has a lot to do with it also)....I quit in 1987 on Jan.2......What helped me quite a bit was that I came down with a bad head and chest cold....tried to smoke while I was sick, but couldn't.....so when I got better from the cold, my desire wasn't that strong....but I would still get the urge or craving.........I had a old mayo jar that I put a bunch of butts in and added some water and put a lid on it....whenever I got an urge for a cig, I would upen up the jar and it would make me gag......you soon start to focus (for some reason) on healthier things
                  (look another paragraph)
                  When I was in the service back in '68, I went in as a smoker along with scores of others.......we were so scared and kept busy so much for the first two weeks that we didn't think about smoking that much.....so after two weeks of boot camp, one evening when we "supposely" had a hour of free time, the call went out for all "smokers to hit the road", we(smokers) grab our cigs and fell out on the road for our smoke....the DI had a sense of humor....He says,"smoking lamp is lit for one cigarette".....we all pulled our cigs out and almost had them lit when he shouted"NO NO NO, I said one cigarette".......He proceeded to pull a "Lark" out of his pocket and lit it.....he took a big draw and exhaled the smoke and pass it on to the next guy....there were about 40 or so smokers in our platoon....by the time it got to me , the filter was wet and had about a 1 inch fire on it........people were passing out....aaawwww the good old days........
                  "Go away kid, you bother me"....W.C. Fields

Comment

The latest time I tried to quit was last week. I made it about 18 hours and found myself at the convenience store at 11pm in my pajamas buying a pack of smokes. I started smoking at age 13 (don't ask) and 23 years later am still going strong at a pack a day.

I have tried to quit at least 20 times, and once I actually made it 10 days. A road trip that I did not want to take with 2 screaming kids in the back seat and mile after mile of bumper to bumper traffic ended the best chance I've had to finally give them up for good.

When I BS with my friends, every so often the question comes up - If you could pick one moment in your life to go back to and do it all over again, what would it be. Their answers are always about missed sexual opportunities, but mine is always the same. I wish I could go back to the day that the "big-kids" offered me that first cigarette so I could say "no" this time.

Comment

Official Stop Smoking Thread

Alright...I've spoken with a few of the members here that are smokers and I think we have agreed that trying to quit smoking is an extremely hard thing to do.

I propose that we have a permanent support thread. Members that are trying to quit, want to quit, or have already quit can come on here and "share".

If your pissed off and *****y, don't yell at your kids come on here and rant. If you have some methods that are working or have worked for you share them here.

I'll start...

My name is Glenn and I have been smoking for over 20 years. I have tried to quit many times, the longest stretch being 32 days. I have been rolling my own smokes for about 15 years. As of today I have about 4 days of tabacco left when it is gone I'm gonna quit smoking. I will check in the day I start and let you know how it's going.
                      Individual commitment to a group effort - that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work.

It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

Vince Lombardi

Comment

This is the thought that got me to quit and when I told a good friend this thought of mine, he quit the next day and has been smoke free for almost 6 months.

Imagine when you get older. you go to the doctor and he tells you, you are dying of some disease. Whatever it is, at least you can say, oh well this sucks but there is nothing i can or could have done about it. Just plain bum luck.

Now imagine you are 50 or so and the doctor tells you that you are going to die of lung cancer. You killed yourself. You realize that because of these nasty cigarettes you won’t see your grandchildren grow.

The thing that got me about cigarettes is that you don't even get pleasure out of them. You need them just to feel normal

Comment

QUIT

Cause I said so

Comment

Good luck alastor - your a tough guy i know you can do it

Cigarettes are EVIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by orangenblue420
                              QUIT

Cause I said so

You ain't the boss of me...

my wife is
                              Individual commitment to a group effort - that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work.

It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
                              X