Tis Disaster in New Orleans tells us a lot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tis Disaster in New Orleans tells us a lot

here it is that were on this board everyday wasting our lives talking abput football, and in reality you have people losing their lives, homes everything all in seconds. This should help us to see that there are things in life that are going on that we need to pay attention to.
    Last edited by daspeedster; 09-02-2005, 12:04 AM.

Very true Speedster!

It's amazing how people just go on with their lives, but as has been said before, life goes on, indeed.

I watch CNN this morning, all the stuff. People waiting in line to pay 6 bucks for a gallon of gas in Atlanta. Yet, when my wife go out to run errands, nobody is doing that here for gas that's half that. Of course, there is no shortage scare here. Everyone just driving around, most of them alone, going on with whatever they do. Not a care in the world. A lady *****ing at the kid at Burger King about who cares what, when there are REAL problems just a few miles away.

And it IS just a few miles away. We are all alot closer than what can just be measured in miles. Everything that is happening will have far reaching effects on all our lives, and more than just at the pump.

Nearly half a million people, probably homeless for a very long time, and all we care about is if Jake will throw 20 picks this year.

Ya know, after the 9er game, I really forgot that I even WENT to a game. All I could think about by the time I got home was that a man had probably (and did) died there. That's all that really mattered after it was all done. Who cares about the score?

And now, with all that has happened in the last few days, I sit here, wondering just what really is important to people.

It's a new world for us in America. Soon, everyone will realize that. We are all going to have to do something to accomodate those people. We are going to have to open our homes. Hotels are going to have to just let them live there until they can get back on their feet, and that could take YEARS! Simply writing a check wont cut it this time. We will have to go above and beyond the call to get things anything close to back to normal. There's an entire city to rebuild! Disease will no doubt result, and spread. People who are actually FIGHTING rescue efforts will have to be dealt with. Just about everyone is going to have to make some sort of sacrafice, and soon. Weather they choose to, or not, it will happen. It's already happening at the pumps, and that's just the beginning.

I wonder if Americans are ready for what around the corner...............

Comment

Originally posted by JWinn
      It's amazing how people just go on with their lives, but as has been said before, life goes on, indeed.

I watch CNN this morning, all the stuff. People waiting in line to pay 6 bucks for a gallon of gas in Atlanta. Yet, when my wife go out to run errands, nobody is doing that here for gas that's half that. Of course, there is no shortage scare here. Everyone just driving around, most of them alone, going on with whatever they do. Not a care in the world. A lady *****ing at the kid at Burger King about who cares what, when there are REAL problems just a few miles away.

And it IS just a few miles away. We are all alot closer than what can just be measured in miles. Everything that is happening will have far reaching effects on all our lives, and more than just at the pump.

Nearly half a million people, probably homeless for a very long time, and all we care about is if Jake will throw 20 picks this year.

Ya know, after the 9er game, I really forgot that I even WENT to a game. All I could think about by the time I got home was that a man had probably (and did) died there. That's all that really mattered after it was all done. Who cares about the score?

And now, with all that has happened in the last few days, I sit here, wondering just what really is important to people.

It's a new world for us in America. Soon, everyone will realize that. We are all going to have to do something to accomodate those people. We are going to have to open our homes. Hotels are going to have to just let them live there until they can get back on their feet, and that could take YEARS! Simply writing a check wont cut it this time. We will have to go above and beyond the call to get things anything close to back to normal. There's an entire city to rebuild! Disease will no doubt result, and spread. People who are actually FIGHTING rescue efforts will have to be dealt with. Just about everyone is going to have to make some sort of sacrafice, and soon. Weather they choose to, or not, it will happen. It's already happening at the pumps, and that's just the beginning.

Excellent post JWinn. I almost feel guilty that these people have to go through this, and here I am enjoying the day, sleeping until noon everyday, while these people are struggling just to survive (Disease, flood waters, food shortage, snipers for God's sake!). And now we have rising gas prices (I know that isn't the most important thing right now), I'm afraid we will get swung back into a recession. Things are only going to get worse before they get better.
      Last edited by BroncosB2B; 09-02-2005, 12:24 AM.
      My Broncomania Adopt-a-Bronco: Rod Smith

Elway stops, loads up, throws deep down the middle of the field and Rod Smith's got it!

America is like your team, and if your not gonna root for your team then get the hell outta the stadium.

Madden Online Record 109-90 (7-3 L10)

Comment

Probably, ALOT worse............

Comment

Now I'm pissed off. I watched MSNBC for 5 minutes, and they were telling stories about how the relief agencies were saying they had the situation under control. BS, that's why people are starving. That's why at the so-called "distribution centers", the trucks are only showing up half full, and they only have water. Some of these people haven't eaten in 4 days. I heard how there were babies in a hospital/care center that hadn't had their diapers changed in 3 days. I know there are a lot more Americans that could do a better job right now. MSNBC interviewed one man, and it summed it all up: "This is like a thrid world country, and we are the most powerful country in the world. And they can't come down here and help us?"
          My Broncomania Adopt-a-Bronco: Rod Smith

Elway stops, loads up, throws deep down the middle of the field and Rod Smith's got it!

America is like your team, and if your not gonna root for your team then get the hell outta the stadium.

Madden Online Record 109-90 (7-3 L10)

Comment

Originally posted by JWinn

yes good post. i live in houston and theyre sending hundreds of thousands of people to the astro dome to have them stay there 4 the time. Its crazy just thinking about whats going on now!!! U have people drowing in their own homes, family members that are broken up and they dont know where their families are. They cant call them cause their cell phones arent working. Like u said the snipers and rapes and crime going on over there!! My Goodness!!! But really even amongst all of this i realize that the bible prophicied about this very thing happening as a sign that the end was very near. So that just encourages me to keep on hangin in there, take one day at a time, and help all those i can!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosB2B
              Now I'm pissed off. I watched MSNBC for 5 minutes, and they were telling stories about how the relief agencies were saying they had the situation under control. BS, that's why people are starving. That's why at the so-called "distribution centers", the trucks are only showing up half full, and they only have water. Some of these people haven't eaten in 4 days. I heard how there were babies in a hospital/care center that hadn't had their diapers changed in 3 days. I know there are a lot more Americans that could do a better job right now. MSNBC interviewed one man, and it summed it all up: "This is like a thrid world country, and we are the most powerful country in the world. And they can't come down here and help us?"
              MAN!!! SIGH..... i heard something similar. A few people have been reported dead back by the super dome because of LACK OF FOOD!! CRAZINESS!!!!!

Comment

Open your eyes. This stuff has been happening all throughout the world and all throughout time. You're being ignorant to history to suddenly start caring so much now. Yes, it is a tragedy, hell I even donated some money today, but to act as if it is something entirely new is plain ignorance. I've walked by homeless, I've seen crimes, I've seen natural disasters and destroyed homes and people looting. When I saw those things I still went on with my life. When I see Katrina's after-effects, I still go on with my life.

"When Kepler found his long-cherished belief did not agree with the most precise observation, he accepted the uncomfortable fact. He preferred the hard truth to his dearest illusions; that is the heart of science."
                - Carl Sagan

Comment

...did I ask too much?

...more than alot?

...you gave me nothin'

...now it's all I've got

...we're one

...but we're not the same

...we've got to

...carry each-other

...carry each-other

...one... (one of my favorite U2 songs)
                  I've walked these streets, a loaded six-string on my back, I play for keeps 'cause I might not make it back, I've been everywhere still I'm standin' tall, I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all!!:salute!:

Comment

Originally posted by NameUsedBefore
                    Open your eyes. This stuff has been happening all throughout the world and all throughout time. You're being ignorant to history to suddenly start caring so much now. Yes, it is a tragedy, hell I even donated some money today, but to act as if it is something entirely new is plain ignorance. I've walked by homeless, I've seen crimes, I've seen natural disasters and destroyed homes and people looting. When I saw those things I still went on with my life. When I see Katrina's after-effects, I still go on with my life.
                    Yes but its never been this severe b4. Ever!! last year 4 hurricanes hit florida. Look up in ur history books for the last time u saw that happen.

Comment

Originally posted by NameUsedBefore
                      If this same disaster comes and affects you i want to see you try and move on with ur life.
                      Last edited by daspeedster; 09-02-2005, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Two things: one, I'm not talking on the basis of just natural disasters.

Second, if something like this did happen to me I would deal with it just like everyone else. However, it is not happening to me at the moment and thus, like many others including yourself, life goes on.

"When Kepler found his long-cherished belief did not agree with the most precise observation, he accepted the uncomfortable fact. He preferred the hard truth to his dearest illusions; that is the heart of science."
                        - Carl Sagan

Comment

what i don't understand, is why wasn't NO prepared for something like this?

I mean, you can never predict it to happen, but being a gulf coast state, something like this is bound to happen. Don't you think that San Fran is prepared for a 9.0 earthquake some day? It seems to me like the governor and mayor have dropped the ball and are making the President and the Federal Govt out to be the bad guys.

They don't have to bee 100% prepared, but a little would have sure helped.

Comment

Originally posted by watchthemiddle
                            what i don't understand, is why wasn't NO prepared for something like this?

I mean, you can never predict it to happen, but being a gulf coast state, something like this is bound to happen. Don't you think that San Fran is prepared for a 9.0 earthquake some day? It seems to me like the governor and mayor have dropped the ball and are making the President and the Federal Govt out to be the bad guys.

They don't have to bee 100% prepared, but a little would have sure helped.
                            I think you're probably forgetting about all the manpower that went into the evacuation...i think it becomes hard to prepare with other means when you are evacuating that many people.
                            I'm not sure about the intricacies and details about what the state government could have done, but i would venture a guess that they have no where near the monetary resources that the federal government has.

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

Originally posted by daspeedster
                              If this same disaster comes and affects you i want to see you try and move on with ur life.

So what are youn saying ....If you are caught in katrina just commit suicide?....bah....bad stuff happens all the time life is all about dealing with the good and the bad.
                              Go Broncos, Capitals, and Orioles

Thanks SNK16

Comment

Working...
                              X