Tis Disaster in New Orleans tells us a lot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by daspeedster
    If this same disaster comes and affects you i want to see you try and move on with ur life.
    make a donation...what else are we suppose to do? pay 3.50 a gallon and drive our SUV's cross country to the Superdome and evacuate people ourselves? Make a donation to the Red Cross, say a prayer, and get on with life. Simple as that.

Comment

They were about as prepared as human can be against mother nature.

Which is about the same amount of preparation an ant-pile can take against a human.

"When Kepler found his long-cherished belief did not agree with the most precise observation, he accepted the uncomfortable fact. He preferred the hard truth to his dearest illusions; that is the heart of science."
      - Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by NJBRONCOSFAN
        I think you're probably forgetting about all the manpower that went into the evacuation...i think it becomes hard to prepare with other means when you are evacuating that many people.
        I'm not sure about the intricacies and details about what the state government could have done, but i would venture a guess that they have no where near the monetary resources that the federal government has.

Your probably right, but atleast have a plan in writing or something and know what to ask the Fed's for. To me, these two leaders ( Gov and Mayor ) were running around last week with their heads between their legs and now are screaming for the Fed's to step in. Its almost like at the begining they thought they could be tough guys and handle it by themselves, and now they want to point fingers.

Also, if I am not mistaken, on monday or tuesday the gov turned down help.

Comment

Originally posted by watchthemiddle
          Also, if I am not mistaken, on monday or tuesday the gov turned down help.

You are correct, sit.

Behind the scenes, a power struggle emerged, as federal officials tried to wrest authority from Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco (D). Shortly before midnight Friday, the Bush administration sent her a proposed legal memorandum asking her to request a federal takeover of the evacuation of New Orleans, a source within the state’s emergency operations center said Saturday.

The administration sought unified control over all local police and state National Guard units reporting to the governor. Louisiana officials rejected the request after talks throughout the night, concerned that such a move would be comparable to a federal declaration of martial law. Some officials in the state suspected a political motive behind the request. “Quite frankly, if they’d been able to pull off taking it away from the locals, they then could have blamed everything on the locals,” said the source, who does not have the authority to speak publicly.

A senior administration official said that Bush has clear legal authority to federalize National Guard units to quell civil disturbances under the Insurrection Act and will continue to try to unify the chains of command that are split among the president, the Louisiana governor and the New Orleans mayor.

Louisiana did not reach out to a multi-state mutual aid compact for assistance until Wednesday, three state and federal officials said. As of Saturday, Blanco still had not declared a state of emergency, the senior Bush official said.

“The federal government stands ready to work with state and local officials to secure New Orleans and the state of Louisiana,” White House spokesman Dan Bartlett said. “The president will not let any form of bureaucracy get in the way of protecting the citizens of Louisiana.”

Blanco made two moves Saturday that protected her independence from the federal government: She created a philanthropic fund for the state’s victims and hired James Lee Witt, Federal Emergency Management Agency director in the Clinton administration, to advise her on the relief effort.
          Link

Comment

Originally posted by CH3COOH
            You are correct, sit.

Link
            Awesome link. I hate it when playing politics gets in the way of helping others. That woman needs to step aside and let the big boys take over.

Comment

im not trying to be disrespectful to anyone or belittle the effects of Katrina but i fail to see how or why something like this suddenly opens peoples eyes. there are people all over the world, like look at most of the african continent for example, that live in situations as bad or worse than NO"s right now. this does not take away the severity of the situation in lousianna and missippi but, unlike other people around the world, these people know that in a matter of days they will have food, water and medicine again. most already have shelter of some sort. it may take them some time to get back to "normal" life, but in a few days they will again be well fed and thouroughly watered. many, many, many people all around the world not only will not be, but they have no hope of EVER finding themselves in a better situation. image if you lived in a situation like NO is right now and KNEW it was as good as you were going to see in you life time. i mean for crying out loud there is looting going on and people fighting off rescue workers and politicians that cant even get on the same page. for some reason i cant see the people of zimbabwe or niger looting. within months many of these people that today are suffering in NO and the like will be all pissed off because they lost their dvd collection or thinking of how to sue the governments for their ineptedness. i hate to say it but its how it is.

i dont think it should take a tragedy on home soil or close to home to open ones eyes to the suffering that goes on worldwide. but now that your eyes are open, keep them so.

and with your eyes open you will see that feeling guilty about wasting your life talking about football is even worse than wasting your life talking about football. if you feel bad about it, dont do it. if you enjoy it, put everything you have into it while you do it. no matter what it is. but take time every day to realize what you do have, be thankful and give thanks for this and do what you can for those that have less.

after Katrina is put away and the big easy is swinging again, because it will be its just a matter of time, dont forget the disaster or the suffering and remember that it is still going on somewhere in the world. and do what YOU can to make the world a better place for us all.
              "Philosophers have hitherto merely interpreted the world in various ways; the point, however, is to change it."--Karl Marx

"And I tell you this, that you must give an account on judgement day of every idle word you speak. The words you say now reflect your fate then; either you will be justified by them or you will be condemned."--Jesus Christ

Comment

Originally posted by bcbronc
                im not trying to be disrespectful to anyone or belittle the effects of Katrina but i fail to see how or why something like this suddenly opens peoples eyes. there are people all over the world, like look at most of the african continent for example, that live in situations as bad or worse than NO"s right now. this does not take away the severity of the situation in lousianna and missippi but, unlike other people around the world, these people know that in a matter of days they will have food, water and medicine again. most already have shelter of some sort. it may take them some time to get back to "normal" life, but in a few days they will again be well fed and thouroughly watered. many, many, many people all around the world not only will not be, but they have no hope of EVER finding themselves in a better situation. image if you lived in a situation like NO is right now and KNEW it was as good as you were going to see in you life time. i mean for crying out loud there is looting going on and people fighting off rescue workers and politicians that cant even get on the same page. for some reason i cant see the people of zimbabwe or niger looting. within months many of these people that today are suffering in NO and the like will be all pissed off because they lost their dvd collection or thinking of how to sue the governments for their ineptedness. i hate to say it but its how it is.

i dont think it should take a tragedy on home soil or close to home to open ones eyes to the suffering that goes on worldwide. but now that your eyes are open, keep them so.

and with your eyes open you will see that feeling guilty about wasting your life talking about football is even worse than wasting your life talking about football. if you feel bad about it, dont do it. if you enjoy it, put everything you have into it while you do it. no matter what it is. but take time every day to realize what you do have, be thankful and give thanks for this and do what you can for those that have less.

after Katrina is put away and the big easy is swinging again, because it will be its just a matter of time, dont forget the disaster or the suffering and remember that it is still going on somewhere in the world. and do what YOU can to make the world a better place for us all.
                Well, the fact of the matter is that many americans just don't care about people of other countries.

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

Originally posted by CH3COOH
                  You are correct, sit.
                  I heard this too...wasn't just the federal government that dropped the ball...seems like they all did.

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

Originally posted by watchthemiddle
                    what i don't understand, is why wasn't NO prepared for something like this?

I mean, you can never predict it to happen, but being a gulf coast state, something like this is bound to happen. Don't you think that San Fran is prepared for a 9.0 earthquake some day? It seems to me like the governor and mayor have dropped the ball and are making the President and the Federal Govt out to be the bad guys.

They don't have to bee 100% prepared, but a little would have sure helped.
                    there were some people who saw it coming asnd came here 2 houston before the cane. i dunno about the others.

Comment

Originally posted by broncosfan247
                      make a donation...what else are we suppose to do? pay 3.50 a gallon and drive our SUV's cross country to the Superdome and evacuate people ourselves? Make a donation to the Red Cross, say a prayer, and get on with life. Simple as that.
                      u didnt understand the statement. If this happened to YOU. U dont have any money or a place to stay. Yes life goes on and u have to make the best of it. But its going to be rough.

Comment

yes but people in other countries aren't "distracted' with money and football and this and that. WE ARE! and so when it does happen its big!
                        Last edited by daspeedster; 09-05-2005, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by daspeedster
                          yes but people in other countries are "dostracted' with money and football and this and that. WE ARE! and so when it does happen its big!

i'm sorry but i dont get what you are saying here .
                          "Philosophers have hitherto merely interpreted the world in various ways; the point, however, is to change it."--Karl Marx

"And I tell you this, that you must give an account on judgement day of every idle word you speak. The words you say now reflect your fate then; either you will be justified by them or you will be condemned."--Jesus Christ

Comment

i'm sorry but i dont get what you are saying here .
                            im VERY sorry. i just noticed that there.i meant distracted. sorry again.

Comment

Working...
                            X