Car Mod Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chronic_Toker
    Yeah, with a stock twin turbo not much more is needed. I've done small work to the engine but over time I'd like to beef it up a bit more. Unfortunately it takes quite a bit of money to make Tiburons fast (or at least as fast as I'd want it), but it's got enough pickup for now and I'm happy with the looks as well...although there's always more in store.
    tnedator - I'm not too big on the looks of Subaru's, but I am jealous as to the engines in them...they definitely blow a lot of other cars out of the water when it comes to that
    Well, I have not read the entire thread, but isn't the Subaru the
    car that just got ticketed by a driver going 140mph? Yes...here
    is the story if you are interested. http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...OCAL/612140532
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill (Look him up )

Comment

Originally posted by His Wife
      is the story if you are interested. http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...OCAL/612140532
      There was actually a guy busted in a Hyundai Sonata going 140+ mph too...that's just crazy.

Article
      My other love...
      sigpic
      305 HP / 273 TQ / SH-AWD / 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by Chronic_Toker
        There was actually a guy busted in a Hyundai Sonata going 140+ mph too...that's just crazy.

Article
        That's so funny to me. "The need for speed".
        I heard the kid driving the Subaru (on the news) would
        lose his license. Surprise! Sounds like this 27-year-
        old in your article got off a bit luckier than the 16-year-old.
        Hey, when you are driving on Pacific Coast Highway though...
        I completely understand. You kind of get lost in the beauty
        of the road, along the ocean!
        "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Comment

Yep, that was a Subaru STI, which is the fastest Subaru by far. My wife has (for another week before it gets traded in for a Lexus) the slower version of the STI, which is the WRX.

I have the mini-SUV called the Forester, but the mods I am doing to it next week will make it almost as quick (0-60 and stuff) as the STI, but it can't go as fast because I think the computer shuts it off at 137 or something, not that I have ever tested that max speed or intend to.

I save the 140mph or so speeds for when I am in Germany. The fastest I have driven in Germany for a relatively short stretch (a few miles, maybe 5 or 10 minutes at a time) is 250 kph, which I think is about 155 mph. That was in an Audi A6 this last May. That will get your blood pumping.

I have driven long stretches on the Autobahn (there word for interstate) at speeds between 215 - 225 kph, which is roughly 130-140 mph. When traveling around Germany on many different trips. Over there it is different, the cars are better designed for speed, the roads are much smoother and designed for speed, and the drivers (for the most part) are much more aware of what is going on around them. You don't have people riding in the left lane going 50 mph.

I have also been driving around 215 kph (130 mph or so) and had cars fly by me like I was crawling. They must have been doing 180 or 200 mph.

Drving those speeds in the stats, like that kid in the STI did, is crazy. Around here, people don't expect cars to come flying by at 140 mph, so a car could pull out in front of you never realizing how fast you are driving and how much ground a car covers at 140 mph, which can lead to serious accidents.
          The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tnedator
            Yep, that was a Subaru STI, which is the fastest Subaru by far. My wife has (for another week before it gets traded in for a Lexus) the slower version of the STI, which is the WRX.

I have the mini-SUV called the Forester, but the mods I am doing to it next week will make it almost as quick (0-60 and stuff) as the STI, but it can't go as fast because I think the computer shuts it off at 137 or something, not that I have ever tested that max speed or intend to.

I save the 140mph or so speeds for when I am in Germany. The fastest I have driven in Germany for a relatively short stretch (a few miles, maybe 5 or 10 minutes at a time) is 250 kph, which I think is about 155 mph. That was in an Audi A6 this last May. That will get your blood pumping.

I have driven long stretches on the Autobahn (there word for interstate) at speeds between 215 - 225 kph, which is roughly 130-140 mph. When traveling around Germany on many different trips. Over there it is different, the cars are better designed for speed, the roads are much smoother and designed for speed, and the drivers (for the most part) are much more aware of what is going on around them. You don't have people riding in the left lane going 50 mph.

I have also been driving around 215 kph (130 mph or so) and had cars fly by me like I was crawling. They must have been doing 180 or 200 mph.

Drving those speeds in the stats, like that kid in the STI did, is crazy. Around here, people don't expect cars to come flying by at 140 mph, so a car could pull out in front of you never realizing how fast you are driving and how much ground a car covers at 140 mph, which can lead to serious accidents.
            A car coming at you here in the states at 140mph? We average drivers wouldn't know how to judge that oncoming speed whatsoever if we had to make a quick decision, how true that is!

My cousins live in Germany. One of them just got her JD in NY, so she spends her vacations over there still. However, she said the Audabon (sp?) is designed for the BMW's and Mercedes (on the line you were talking about) and that her comfortable sustained speed is about 110mph. That they are very strict about slow traffic staying to the right and slow traffic will get a serious ticket. I wish they'd do that here in the states with the slow traffic on the interstates or in the left lane. I can't imagine going that speed, but would love to be a passenger the first time around with a trustworthy driver and give it a whirl! When I had heard on the news about the driver going so fast in the Subaru...they commented on the Subaru is rated the highest for domestic cars on speed, I believe the top speed of 168mph. Ever heard of that? Interesting.

Comment

A car coming at you here in the states at 140mph? We average drivers wouldn't know how to judge that oncoming speed whatsoever if we had to make a quick decision, how true that is!

My cousins live in Germany. One of them just got her JD in NY, so she spends her vacations over there still. However, she said the Audabon (sp?) is designed for the BMW's and Mercedes (on the line you were talking about) and that her comfortable sustained speed is about 110mph. That they are very strict about slow traffic staying to the right and slow traffic will get a serious ticket. I wish they'd do that here in the states with the slow traffic on the interstates or in the left lane. I can't imagine going that speed, but would love to be a passenger the first time around with a trustworthy driver and give it a whirl! When I had heard on the news about the driver going so fast in the Subaru...they commented on the Subaru is rated the highest for domestic cars on speed, I believe the top speed of 168mph. Ever heard of that? Interesting.
              I hadn't heard about it being the STI being the fastest, but it is very fast.

In Germany, you cousin is correct. They are much more aware, and taught not to stay in the left lane. Driving down a two or three laned autobahn, you have to constantly look in the rearview mirror before pulling into a left lane to make a pass. Even if you see what you think is a car WAY in the distance behind you, you have to remember if you are driving 80 mph, and they are driving 180 mph, what seems like a car that is miles back can be on top of you very quickly.

I don't know the math exactly, but if a car is going 100 mph faster than you and you first see them when they are a 1/2 mile behind you, they will probably be caught up to you and make up that 1/2 mile difference in about 15 seconds or so. So, you see a car that appears to be way behind you, and there is a slow truck in front of you, you put your blinker on, you look behind you one more time and pull into the left lane and in 10-15 seconds there is a car behind you going 100 mph faster than you, and if they don't slam on the breaks fast enough, boom, big accident.
              The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

I've only done one thing to the Mustang so far.

Installed this myself! (Believe it or not, lol.)

http://www.classicdesignconcepts.com...splay/639.html

Next I want this;

http://www.classicdesignconcepts.com...splay/697.html

Not much need to go any faster. My days of speeding tickets are in the past.

I hope!

Comment

Originally posted by JWinn
                  I've only done one thing to the Mustang so far.

Installed this myself! (Believe it or not, lol.)

http://www.classicdesignconcepts.com...splay/639.html

Next I want this;

http://www.classicdesignconcepts.com...splay/697.html

Not much need to go any faster. My days of speeding tickets are in the past.

I hope!
                  That deck lid cover is kind of cool.

If I ever build a house, I am hoping to have a bigger garage and have enough room to have some tools, room for some ramps, etc., so that I can do some work myself. Right now, I have a two car garage that is just big enough for our cars, a driveway that has about a 30% incline, so nothing can be done on it, and really very little room for shelves or anything along the garage walls and still fit the cars in.

I know reading through some of the mods they do on Subarus, that if I had tools and a place to spread out and work on them, I could probably manage them myself, but right now it would just screw things up trying to 'make do' with no decent work area.

sigpic

Comment

If I ever build a house, I am hoping to have a bigger garage and have enough room to have some tools, room for some ramps, etc., so that I can do some work myself. Right now, I have a two car garage that is just big enough for our cars, a driveway that has about a 30% incline, so nothing can be done on it, and really very little room for shelves or anything along the garage walls and still fit the cars in.

I know reading through some of the mods they do on Subarus, that if I had tools and a place to spread out and work on them, I could probably manage them myself, but right now it would just screw things up trying to 'make do' with no decent work area.
                    Yep Tned...that's how they are making these 2-car garages anymore, very tight on space....nothing to the sides of the garage. Plus they are getting more shallow in length as well. What's with that anyhow? Hardly any storage space anymore!

JWinn....I like that deck lid idea. Don't think I've seen that before. Neat!

Comment

Oh, not me!

I am no mechanic by any means!

Putting on the stars & stripes, it was not easy to get the grill off. The clips on the inside are pretty heavy duty, and as I was trying to pry one of them open, I was thinking how I was going to even reach the rest, let alone pry them out.

Then the whole thing just popped off in my hands!

I thought I broke the whole thing, lol.

I was actually REALLY proud of myself being able to do it myself, lol.

The deck lid is really nice. It will just finish off the trunk, and add a little storage for minimum tools, first aid kit, rags.

The exterior really doesnt need any more flash. The white stripes already bring me more than enough attention, lol.

I've thought about a superchager, but I just dont speed like I used to anymore. That's why I went with something so flashy to begin with. I can not worry about cops pulling me over, because I give them no reson to.

But the Superchip;

http://www.superchips.com/product.ph...mk=582&msg=%2B

SOUNDS like a good idea.

However, I have a K&N Cold air intake. A few weeks ago, it just seperated from the engine, and caused me to stop on the side of the road. The engine light came on, so I took it to Ford. (I was able to re-attach it myself.)

The mechanic there was very negative on aftermarket stuff. He went on and on about how they dont meet manufaturers specs, and that any benefit was negligible. He also told me I should expect this to happen again & again with this air filter.

I dont know if I am going to do anything else to the motor really. It's already plenty fast. The chip sounds good for increased milage though. The nice thing about this is I can reset it before I take the car back in, should I need to, and not void my warranty.

I might add a premium exhaust sometime in the future though.

Comment

Oh, not me!

I am no mechanic by any means!

Putting on the stars & stripes, it was not easy to get the grill off. The clips on the inside are pretty heavy duty, and as I was trying to pry one of them open, I was thinking how I was going to even reach the rest, let alone pry them out.

Then the whole thing just popped off in my hands!

I thought I broke the whole thing, lol.

I was actually REALLY proud of myself being able to do it myself, lol.

The deck lid is really nice. It will just finish off the trunk, and add a little storage for minimum tools, first aid kit, rags.

The exterior really doesnt need any more flash. The white stripes already bring me more than enough attention, lol.

I've thought about a superchager, but I just dont speed like I used to anymore. That's why I went with something so flashy to begin with. I can not worry about cops pulling me over, because I give them no reson to.

But the Superchip;

http://www.superchips.com/product.ph...mk=582&msg=%2B

SOUNDS like a good idea.

However, I have a K&N Cold air intake. A few weeks ago, it just seperated from the engine, and caused me to stop on the side of the road. The engine light came on, so I took it to Ford. (I was able to re-attach it myself.)

The mechanic there was very negative on aftermarket stuff. He went on and on about how they dont meet manufaturers specs, and that any benefit was negligible. He also told me I should expect this to happen again & again with this air filter.

I dont know if I am going to do anything else to the motor really. It's already plenty fast. The chip sounds good for increased milage though. The nice thing about this is I can reset it before I take the car back in, should I need to, and not void my warranty.

I might add a premium exhaust sometime in the future though.

I'm no mechanic either, which is why do date I have done nothing. If I had the room and could afford to fix whatever I broke , I think it would be fun to do some of the work myself, but right now I am paying others to do it.

I am getting a new exhaust and something similar to the super chip. The increase (at the wheels on a dyno) are supposed to be 32 hp and 46 torque after adding the new exhaust and chip programmer.

The reality is that I don't need the extra power, but I have been thinking about it for a while, so I decided to treat myself.

sigpic

Comment

Yep Tned...that's how they are making these 2-car garages anymore, very tight on space....nothing to the sides of the garage. Plus they are getting more shallow in length as well. What's with that anyhow? Hardly any storage space anymore!

JWinn....I like that deck lid idea. Don't think I've seen that before. Neat!

Ya gotta buy a custom home, or a really old one to get a decent garage these days. I have a three car, and so much crap in it, only the two Mustangs get a spot inside. The Subaru and the truck stay outside.

I used to live near Washington Park in denver, and had a HUGE garage! Two+ deep and two wide, I could park a pair of Greyhound busses in there with room to spare! That house is probably 70 years old now.

I miss that garage.............

Yea, the deck lid is pretty cool. Thanks! Hope I can do it myself........lol

Comment

Ya gotta buy a custom home, or a really old one to get a decent garage these days. I have a three car, and so much crap in it, only the two Mustangs get a spot inside. The Subaru and the truck stay outside.

I used to live near Washington Park in denver, and had a HUGE garage! Two+ deep and two wide, I could park a pair of Greyhound busses in there with room to spare! That house is probably 70 years old now.

I miss that garage.............

Yea, the deck lid is pretty cool. Thanks! Hope I can do it myself........lol
                            Yeah, when my brother had his house built, he had them add 4-feet onto the back of the entire house (which also included the garage). Makes a HUGE difference in space.

Comment

I'm no mechanic either, which is why do date I have done nothing. If I had the room and could afford to fix whatever I broke , I think it would be fun to do some of the work myself, but right now I am paying others to do it.

I am getting a new exhaust and something similar to the super chip. The increase (at the wheels on a dyno) are supposed to be 32 hp and 46 torque after adding the new exhaust and chip programmer.

The reality is that I don't need the extra power, but I have been thinking about it for a while, so I decided to treat myself.
                              I hear that! Why not?

As I said, I was really happy I was able to install the horse myself. A great feeling of "I can do it!" lol. Plus I saved the 50 bucks some place wanted to do it for me.

I hate paying people to do stuff. But it's better than paying them to fix my screw up AND THEN doing it right the second time, lol.

Comment

Yeah, when my brother had his house built, he had them add 4-feet onto the back of the entire house (which also included the garage). Makes a HUGE difference in space.
                                When I build, I want to go with at least a three car garage, and have it deep enough that there is plenty of room between the front of the cars and the back wall, plus I want to add an air conditioned (it's hot in summer in Arkansas) work area off the garage, so if I am building a computer or doing any other work like that, I can have a workbench and spread everything out.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X