Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car Mod Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by His Wife
    Yeah, when my brother had his house built, he had them add 4-feet onto the back of the entire house (which also included the garage). Makes a HUGE difference in space.
    Yup! 4 feet can make a big difference!

    I had a three car in my last house, but it was just a regular cookie cutter home in Highlands Ranch. All of four designs in the neighborhood. No extra room in the garage.

    This one though. The two car side is four feet deeper than the single spot. Gives me room for shelves on that side. Even with the truck in there, which hasnt been for a while, lol.

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by JWinn
      I hear that! Why not?

      As I said, I was really happy I was able to install the horse myself. A great feeling of "I can do it!" lol. Plus I saved the 50 bucks some place wanted to do it for me.

      I hate paying people to do stuff. But it's better than paying them to fix my screw up AND THEN doing it right the second time, lol.
      I managed to install my XM (now sirius) myself, which included haveing to remove some dash panels, run wire under the headline and remove some plastic trim to run the wire, but that is about as much as I have done.

      Last year, I had a rear sway bar swapped out on my Forester and while the guys in the Subaru forums said it was easy and I shouldn't pay anyone, I took it to the local Firestone and had them do it. Right now, I would say that you and I are on about the same level when it comes to hands on car work.
      The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

      sigpic

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by tnedator
        I managed to install my XM (now sirius) myself, which included haveing to remove some dash panels, run wire under the headline and remove some plastic trim to run the wire, but that is about as much as I have done.

        Last year, I had a rear sway bar swapped out on my Forester and while the guys in the Subaru forums said it was easy and I shouldn't pay anyone, I took it to the local Firestone and had them do it. Right now, I would say that you and I are on about the same level when it comes to hands on car work.
        Nope! Your way ahead if you actually went ito the dash!


        I can screw up changing the oil on my little JD tractor.


        I havent yet, but I CAN!

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by JWinn
          Oh, not me!

          I am no mechanic by any means!

          Putting on the stars & stripes, it was not easy to get the grill off. The clips on the inside are pretty heavy duty, and as I was trying to pry one of them open, I was thinking how I was going to even reach the rest, let alone pry them out.

          Then the whole thing just popped off in my hands!

          I thought I broke the whole thing, lol.

          I was actually REALLY proud of myself being able to do it myself, lol.

          The deck lid is really nice. It will just finish off the trunk, and add a little storage for minimum tools, first aid kit, rags.

          The exterior really doesnt need any more flash. The white stripes already bring me more than enough attention, lol.

          I've thought about a superchager, but I just dont speed like I used to anymore. That's why I went with something so flashy to begin with. I can not worry about cops pulling me over, because I give them no reson to.

          But the Superchip;

          http://www.superchips.com/product.ph...mk=582&msg=%2B

          SOUNDS like a good idea.


          However, I have a K&N Cold air intake. A few weeks ago, it just seperated from the engine, and caused me to stop on the side of the road. The engine light came on, so I took it to Ford. (I was able to re-attach it myself.)

          The mechanic there was very negative on aftermarket stuff. He went on and on about how they dont meet manufaturers specs, and that any benefit was negligible. He also told me I should expect this to happen again & again with this air filter.

          I dont know if I am going to do anything else to the motor really. It's already plenty fast. The chip sounds good for increased milage though. The nice thing about this is I can reset it before I take the car back in, should I need to, and not void my warranty.

          I might add a premium exhaust sometime in the future though.

          If you want to get an after market chip for a Ford, try this place first. They will work with you and make a custom chip for you needs and tuning, etc. Not any more expensive than any other ones.

          Bama Chips

          There are two kinds of teams in the AFCW; The losers and the Broncos!!!

          I Support our Troops!
          How do you expect me to have a RED WHITE and BLUE sig when the background is obnoxious white?

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by JWinn
            Nope! Your way ahead if you actually went ito the dash!


            I can screw up changing the oil on my little JD tractor.


            I havent yet, but I CAN!
            The last time I changed oil on a car was about 15, maybe 20, years ago. I had a Ford Ranger. I changed the oil, changed the filter, and had done it a few times with no problem.

            Shortly after changing it, I was driving in town and I noticed the oil pressure gauage drop to zero and bounce back up. It happened quickly, and I started to think I imagined it. I kept my eye on the needle as I was driving home, and all of a suddent it dropped to zero, and I immediately shoved the clutch in, killed the engine and pulled over to the side of the road (it was a residential street). I got out of the car and looked behind the card and saw a trail of oil that was coming out of the car.

            It's been a long time, so I can't remember if it was the drain plug or filter, but I am pretty sure that I had failed to tighten the filter enough. That was the last time I changed the oil, or tried doing anything mechanical on my car.
            The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

            sigpic

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by Day1BroncoFan
              If you want to get an after market chip for a Ford, try this place first. They will work with you and make a custom chip for you needs and tuning, etc. Not any more expensive than any other ones.

              Bama Chips

              just remember that if you get this chip you will have to have it reprogrammed if you do anything else to the engine.

              did i really read earlier in this thread that someone put a spoon suspension on a camaro?
              Glen Haven Fire

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by tnedator
                The last time I changed oil on a car was about 15, maybe 20, years ago. I had a Ford Ranger. I changed the oil, changed the filter, and had done it a few times with no problem.

                Shortly after changing it, I was driving in town and I noticed the oil pressure gauage drop to zero and bounce back up. It happened quickly, and I started to think I imagined it. I kept my eye on the needle as I was driving home, and all of a suddent it dropped to zero, and I immediately shoved the clutch in, killed the engine and pulled over to the side of the road (it was a residential street). I got out of the car and looked behind the card and saw a trail of oil that was coming out of the car.

                It's been a long time, so I can't remember if it was the drain plug or filter, but I am pretty sure that I had failed to tighten the filter enough. That was the last time I changed the oil, or tried doing anything mechanical on my car.

                I do it on my lawn tractor.

                There's this little metal tube that sticks out the side. And a plug there.

                The first time I did it, the TUBE unscrewed on me, and oil started pouring out where I KNEW it shouldnt. The plug was so tight, I had to clamp the tube with vice grips to hold it while I finally got the plug to unscrew. From there it was a breeze.

                But what a mess!

                No way I touch the Mustang.

                I take it to Firestone! I bought a lifetime alignment, and every time I take it in, they do that also. Same for the truck.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by armedequation
                  just remember that if you get this chip you will have to have it reprogrammed if you do anything else to the engine.

                  did i really read earlier in this thread that someone put a spoon suspension on a camaro?
                  Yeah, thats kinda how it looks to me too.

                  The thing about the one I was looking at is they claim it's easy to reset it to factory specs before I take it in for any repair.

                  This looks more like something I should wait until my warranty is finished before I use.

                  But it's cool to be able to compare, and learn more about this stuff. I never knew about chipping before I got this car.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by JWinn
                    I take it to Firestone! I bought a lifetime alignment, and every time I take it in, they do that also. Same for the truck.
                    Hmmm, I have to see if my Firestone has lifetime alignment. One problem with my Forester is it gets knocked out of alingment pretty easy. In three years I have had it aligned four times. Our roads in town are in horrible shape, which probably doesn't help matters.
                    The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by armedequation
                      just remember that if you get this chip you will have to have it reprogrammed if you do anything else to the engine.

                      did i really read earlier in this thread that someone put a spoon suspension on a camaro?
                      You get a few programs with the chip, three I think. You can get a custom program if you want it.
                      There is a forum I use and several people have this chip and are very satified with it, I have not used it so I have no personal knowledge of it.

                      There are two kinds of teams in the AFCW; The losers and the Broncos!!!

                      I Support our Troops!
                      How do you expect me to have a RED WHITE and BLUE sig when the background is obnoxious white?

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by JWinn
                        Yeah, thats kinda how it looks to me too.

                        The thing about the one I was looking at is they claim it's easy to reset it to factory specs before I take it in for any repair.

                        This looks more like something I should wait until my warranty is finished before I use.

                        But it's cool to be able to compare, and learn more about this stuff. I never knew about chipping before I got this car.

                        I would suggest you give tham a call and talk, find out what it's all about before you decide.

                        I think the way it works is you need to upload your stock tune and then upload the tune of your choice, when you take it to the dealer you put the stock tune back in before you go.

                        There are two kinds of teams in the AFCW; The losers and the Broncos!!!

                        I Support our Troops!
                        How do you expect me to have a RED WHITE and BLUE sig when the background is obnoxious white?

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by Day1BroncoFan
                          I would suggest you give tham a call and talk, find out what it's all about before you decide.

                          I think the way it works is you need to upload your stock tune and then upload the tune of your choice, when you take it to the dealer you put the stock tune back in before you go.
                          Oh yeah! I'd definately call them before I buy it.

                          Ideally, I'd be able to try these things before I buy them, or at least look at them. Maybe meet someone who has one.

                          I dont like buying stuff like this over the internet. Essentially sight unseen when I dont know too much about em.

                          Much research is required before I proceed with anything like this. MANY people to talk to.

                          Trunk thingy first, lol.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by JWinn
                            Oh yeah! I'd definately call them before I buy it.

                            Ideally, I'd be able to try these things before I buy them, or at least look at them. Maybe meet someone who has one.

                            I dont like buying stuff like this over the internet. Essentially sight unseen when I dont know too much about em.

                            Much research is required before I proceed with anything like this. MANY people to talk to.

                            Trunk thingy first, lol.

                            Go to this link you'll get all the information on chips and Mustangs you can stand and then some.

                            There are two kinds of teams in the AFCW; The losers and the Broncos!!!

                            I Support our Troops!
                            How do you expect me to have a RED WHITE and BLUE sig when the background is obnoxious white?

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              JWINN, if you want a good forum for information on your car go to corral.net

                              its a pretty good forum and theres info from all years of mustangs
                              Glen Haven Fire

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X