Welcome to the Cafe!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jaws
    I just wish I could play. I got a guitar for my birthday 18 months ago and I'm still stuck at three chords!
    Next year when we come back to the London area,I will meet you someplace and show you a ton on the guitar,,if it has strings I can play it..
    Here is a funny story from my youth..

When my best friend ( guitar picker ) and I were in Marine boot camp on out 2nd month,a friend of mine from reno (another banjo picker) sent my friend Doug and me a set of used banjo strings.The note with them said he had worn these out picking while we were in bootcamp,very funny indeed we both thought.Next night (we had an hour of free time each night) we strung up his M-16 from the front sights to the rear sling on the butt of the weapon with 2 of those strings and started playing and singing,LOL...This lasted about 2 minutes before the DI came over and almost killed the both of us....
    That shows that if it has strings,it can be played...
    That is all..
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Jewels
      I learned on an electric, but you are right...you do learn to properly play chords using acoustic. It's also easier when you do switch over to an electric. My fingers are so small that it was hard for me to hold down strings .I was self taught up until a certain point, but then I broke down and took lessons.
      My first love was drums, though.

I love my Fender...I love my Fender.
      I have that problem with strings too, would nylon strings be easier than steel?

Ah drums! If my kid had his way we'd have a set of those here, dunno if I could stand the noise though and finding somewhere to set them up would be a problem.

Comment

I have that problem with strings too, would nylon strings be easier than steel?

Ah drums! If my kid had his way we'd have a set of those here, dunno if I could stand the noise though and finding somewhere to set them up would be a problem.

In my experience, nylon strings break too easily. and you cant develop that calluse on the tips of your fingers with nylon that easily, so when it comes time to play an electric....

I havent used nylon in a while, though. So they mightve altered the way way they made the strings and I could be wrong, as I always am.

If you take what I have to say seriously, then I'm embarrassed for you.

Comment

• Originally posted by BANJOPICKER1
          Next year when we come back to the London area,I will meet you someplace and show you a ton on the guitar,,if it has strings I can play it..
          Here is a funny story from my youth..

When my best friend ( guitar picker ) and I were in Marine boot camp on out 2nd month,a friend of mine from reno (another banjo picker) sent my friend Doug and me a set of used banjo strings.The note with them said he had worn these out picking while we were in bootcamp,very funny indeed we both thought.Next night (we had an hour of free time each night) we strung up his M-16 from the front sights to the rear sling on the butt of the weapon with 2 of those strings and started playing and singing,LOL...This lasted about 2 minutes before the DI came over and almost killed the both of us....
          That shows that if it has strings,it can be played...
          That is all..
          You're on - fancy doing a concert while you're here, I could sell tix and make a bomb doing that. You could accompany my bro singing opera!

Comment

• Originally posted by Broncofan-13
            I was trying to get a fender, but there arent any good ones around here. Im settling for an Ibanez. its a nice ass guitar.

my buddy has a 74 floyd rose. VERY nice.

but in terms of pickups and specs for guitars, I know absolutely SQUAT. help me!

my first love is and always will be vocals and songwriting.
            That's a nice one (74 Rose). Ibanez won't be a bad choice either.
            I play a Fender Strat.
            I guess the kind of guitar you get just depends on the kind of music you are wanting to play. A friend of mine who loves to play blues swears by his Les Paul.

_Jaws I'm pretty traditional about my strings. I find that a nice lightweight string does me best. I thought nylons were more for classical acoustics than anything, but I may be wrong (if I am, please correct me). I've never used them.

As far as pickups.... humbuckers.
            Last edited by Jewels; 03-27-2006, 05:33 AM.

Comment

You're on - fancy doing a concert while you're here, I could sell tix and make a bomb doing that. You could accompany my bro singing opera!
              I would love to bring down a bluegrass band and do some free picking down in the tube like those other people were doing..Bet some yanks slapping out some old music from the hills of Kentucky would freak out the rush hour people..
              sigpic

Comment

I would love to bring down a bluegrass band and do some free picking down in the tube like those other people were doing..Bet some yanks slapping out some old music from the hills of Kentucky would freak out the rush hour people..

oooh! can I play the jug? *phoo, phoo, phoo, phoo*

Comment

I'm near KY, They have some good music here.

Play the jug...I wanna play the washboard.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jewels

I'm near KY, They have some good music here.

Play the jug...I wanna play the washboard.

and now Billy bobs new hit single, "I kissed my sister with my fist."

j/k I would love to write a bluegrass song.

Comment

I'd hop on the train to London to see that lol

Comment

Saying words like phoo phoo and jugs can get you banned...
                        sigpic

Comment

hey banjo, should I start calling you deliverance?

you better paddle real good, boy! make you squeal lahk a piggy!

Comment

hey banjo, should I start calling you deliverance?

you better paddle real good, boy! make you squeal lahk a piggy!
                            Thats so wrong in so many ways....That was such a strange flick...
                            sigpic

Comment

and now Billy bobs new hit single, "I kissed my sister with my fist."

j/k I would love to write a bluegrass song.

That's a good one.

How about "nothing says lovin like makin out wit yer cuzin"

Incest...a game the whole family can play.

Comment

• agreed, one of the strangest damn movies Ive ever seen...

Comment

Working...
                                X