X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• samparnell
    replied
    Originally posted by CanDB View Post

No doubt. It is sort of fascinating to me how quickly this is becoming a reality, and how it will impact The PGA, The Majors, the records, and so on. I am not surprised who has left from The PGA, because I sense they are money types. The Euro players make sense, given they play overseas a lot of the time as is. But the key question, "how many more big names leave", and eventually, how does that impact the revenues and strength of The PGA.
    Sure. It's a big deal in the world of golf which will definitely be changed as a result. The large sums are being handed out for reasons. One wonders if those reasons will confine themselves to golf, or expand into other sports or beyond. Actually, it already has. Time will tell.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    Originally posted by samparnell View Post

LIV is handing out a lot of money. Money talks.
    No doubt. It is sort of fascinating to me how quickly this is becoming a reality, and how it will impact The PGA, The Majors, the records, and so on. I am not surprised who has left from The PGA, because I sense they are money types. The Euro players make sense, given they play overseas a lot of the time as is. But the key question, "how many more big names leave", and eventually, how does that impact the revenues and strength of The PGA.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    Geez, since I mentioned the new LIV golf tour, several more well known players have jumped ship - Fowler, Reed and Dechambeau. These are good golfers. I see some fireworks coming and it isn't even dark outside!
    LIV is handing out a lot of money. Money talks.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    Geez, since I mentioned the new LIV golf tour, several more well known players have jumped ship - Fowler, Reed and Dechambeau. These are good golfers. I see some fireworks coming and it isn't even dark outside!

Leave a comment:

• LordTrychon
    replied
    Originally posted by Jaws View Post

Less than 3 weeks till the due date now.
    She's getting B12 injections tomorrow which will help with energy & mood hopefully. I just wish my son weren't in such a bad way with his arms & he was able to drive. They live in quite a remote area and it's going to be nervewracking waiting for the ambulance when she goes into labour. I mean I'll jump in the car and head North when the time comes but it'll take me 2 hours to get there and if it's a work day I'll have to take Mum with me. My son's on the urgent list for injections but that could easily be another month or two away.
    Dang, that is stressful.

I don't know if I missed it or simply forgot, but what is wrong with the boy's fins?

Leave a comment:

• Jaws
    replied
    Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post

How much longer till she's due?
    Less than 3 weeks till the due date now.
    She's getting B12 injections tomorrow which will help with energy & mood hopefully. I just wish my son weren't in such a bad way with his arms & he was able to drive. They live in quite a remote area and it's going to be nervewracking waiting for the ambulance when she goes into labour. I mean I'll jump in the car and head North when the time comes but it'll take me 2 hours to get there and if it's a work day I'll have to take Mum with me. My son's on the urgent list for injections but that could easily be another month or two away.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    I get why the PGA may not like another competing tour, especially one that is trying to sign away big names....

I just think the threats for kicking off the tour are out of left field. Players have played outside the PGA for ages and had no issues.
    It's a multi-faceted situation with some controversial statements and trash talk coming from golfers on both sides of the issue.

Leave a comment:

• LordTrychon
    replied
    I get why the PGA may not like another competing tour, especially one that is trying to sign away big names....

I just think the threats for kicking off the tour are out of left field. Players have played outside the PGA for ages and had no issues.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied

I mean... that would be a reasonable reason.

I'm pretty sure that the PGAs reasons are a bit more selfish.
    Could be.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied

These players may be sacrificing certain honours and achievement for changing tours. No more Ryder Cups. No more improvement in rankings, in a sport rich with history.

But initially I see a group of good players making the transition, giving the tour some viability, and then you will see lesser players who will be enticed by big signing type bonuses, who want security and potential recognition through a different lens.

I have always felt a bit of a "snobbish" side to golf, though many of us play just because we like the game, not because we can afford expensive private memberships. I think The PGA deserves a little kick in the behind, to make them more competitive and open to change. LIV is playing 54 hole events, and I understand they will be employing shot gun type starts, where players do not all begin on hole one, in order to speed up the game. These might be wise ideas.

I've mentioned before, but baseball also needs a wake up call. I've seen grass grow faster than some games.

Leave a comment:

• LordTrychon
    replied
    Originally posted by samparnell View Post

It may have to do with why Can won't go near the topic of the financial source of the LIV.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied

Yeah, been discussing this with my Dad.

Do the players really have to quit the PGA to do LIV? I don't understand the uproar. Players have played things outside the PGA all the time before.
    It may have to do with why Can won't go near the topic of the financial source of the LIV.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    This new golf tour - LIV, is a real cloudy situation. The money is big, and they play a lot less tournaments, and so far, against what appears to be a so so group of players. Some good for sure. For someone like Dustin Johnson to quit The PGA, and likely diminish his legacy, pending how the LIV tour goes, seems nothing more than a money grab. It's his choice, as it is Phil Mickelson's, who I like but never know for sure what he's going to do next. But think of this, Phil is reportedly getting $200M just to join the tour, more than double what he has made in his PGA golf career. Plus anything he makes in these tournaments, which pay much more per tournament.

I am not even going near the topic of financial source for this tour.
    Why not?

Leave a comment:

• LordTrychon
    replied
    This new golf tour - LIV, is a real cloudy situation. The money is big, and they play a lot less tournaments, and so far, against what appears to be a so so group of players. Some good for sure. For someone like Dustin Johnson to quit The PGA, and likely diminish his legacy, pending how the LIV tour goes, seems nothing more than a money grab. It's his choice, as it is Phil Mickelson's, who I like but never know for sure what he's going to do next. But think of this, Phil is reportedly getting $200M just to join the tour, more than double what he has made in his PGA golf career. Plus anything he makes in these tournaments, which pay much more per tournament.

Yeah, been discussing this with my Dad.

Do the players really have to quit the PGA to do LIV? I don't understand the uproar. Players have played things outside the PGA all the time before.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X