Welcome to the Cafe!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jaws View Post
    Glad to have my exploratory surgery over today. The ear is a little sore, but I've had much worse pain in the past.
    Unfortunately I will lose some more hearing as the result of the next operation. I'll be seeing the Consultant in a month or so to discuss the full implications. I already have severe/profound hearing loss in the other ear, but just mild in this one, at present.
    I'm going to use the time leading up to the surgery to learn lip reading.
    I found this fabulous article this evening:
    https://www.lipreading.org/winning-m...r-hearing-loss
    I'm sorry you're going through this. Hopefully you won't lose too much. I remember ages ago that you mentioned a ringing in your ear. Was that connected to your current situation?

Interesting article. So many things we can all use in daily life. Think positive. Have fun everyday. Learn something new everyday. Smile!

Thanks for sharing, Jaws.
    Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage

Lupus Awareness

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

• Originally posted by Peanut View Post
      I'm sorry you're going through this. Hopefully you won't lose too much. I remember ages ago that you mentioned a ringing in your ear. Was that connected to your current situation?

Interesting article. So many things we can all use in daily life. Think positive. Have fun everyday. Learn something new everyday. Smile!

Thanks for sharing, Jaws.
      The ringing was possibly an indication of the "Cholesteatoma" - a disease that behaves like a tumour and causes erosion of the hearing bones in your middle ear with the added complication of facial nerve damage due to the bony protrusion that protects it eroding.
      The surgery I will require is a Mastoidectomy where they blast the honeycomb like mastoid bone behind the ear to gain access to the middle ear.
      It's a rare condition affecting 1 in 10000. Left alone it could eventually spread to the inner ear and even the brain in very rare occurrences.

Originally posted by armedequation View Post
      Sorry to hear that (100% no pun intended). Learning signing would help too...something ive been meaning to do.

Would you be open to robot ears? I might know a guy in an alley
      I did an introductory signing class a few years ago. I was the class dunce lol, but passed just about!
      I might refresh my fingerspelling, that could be helpful for communication during a transition period.
      Two things I want in life, to hear my youngest granddaughter learn to talk and the second one would be a bonus - to be able to hear birdsong, or some of it at least.

Comment

The ringing was possibly an indication of the "Cholesteatoma" - a disease that behaves like a tumour and causes erosion of the hearing bones in your middle ear with the added complication of facial nerve damage due to the bony protrusion that protects it eroding.
        The surgery I will require is a Mastoidectomy where they blast the honeycomb like mastoid bone behind the ear to gain access to the middle ear.
        It's a rare condition affecting 1 in 10000. Left alone it could eventually spread to the inner ear and even the brain in very rare occurrences.

I did an introductory signing class a few years ago. I was the class dunce lol, but passed just about!
        I might refresh my fingerspelling, that could be helpful for communication during a transition period.
        Two things I want in life, to hear my youngest granddaughter learn to talk and the second one would be a bonus - to be able to hear birdsong, or some of it at least.
        Jawsie, would you be able to use bone conduction? It was a trick Beethoven used to still hear his piano compositions.

Hoping for the very best result for your surgery! Stay positive...technology may have an answer right around the corner!
        To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
          Jawsie, would you be able to use bone conduction? It was a trick Beethoven used to still hear his piano compositions.

Hoping for the very best result for your surgery! Stay positive...technology may have an answer right around the corner!
          I believe so. As far as hearing aids go, the only suitable one would be the BAHA (bone conduction) type.
          I don't know either if I'd be a candidate for reconstructive surgery. That has a 50-75% success rate and I'd definitely be up for it if on offer.

Comment

I believe so. As far as hearing aids go, the only suitable one would be the BAHA (bone conduction) type.
            I don't know either if I'd be a candidate for reconstructive surgery. That has a 50-75% success rate and I'd definitely be up for it if on offer.
            I pray things work out for you. Amazing what they can do.
            Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage

Lupus Awareness

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

• Hang in there Jawsie! You seem to have a great attitude. Keep it up.
              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• Thank you guys.
                Now that I've had a week to digest things I feel a lot better already.

Comment

Thank you guys.
                  Glad your staying positive! Gotta say i love hearing my 3yo tell me "nice hair daddy" and my 2 yr old say french fries while she does her little i got a treat dance.

I am sending positive vibes!
                  Glen Haven Fire

Comment

• Originally posted by armedequation View Post
                    Glad your staying positive! Gotta say i love hearing my 3yo tell me "nice hair daddy" and my 2 yr old say french fries while she does her little i got a treat dance.

I am sending positive vibes!
                    Thanks. They are such fun these little ones. The eldest has such a loud high pitched voice I'd have to be profoundly deaf not to hear her
                    Her little sister on the other hand is a good deal shyer.
                    Are your two quite similar in personality?

Comment

• She is super outgoing and wants to give out hugs to everyone. Hes more shy but chases the older girls around the playground.

Do they get into shouting matches yet? Those are always fun . Not really shouting but more like finding a note and trying to outlast the other
                      Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Thank you guys.
                        Stay positive young lady....wish you well!

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                          Stay positive young lady....wish you well!
                          Thank you Can.

Originally posted by armedequation View Post
                          She is super outgoing and wants to give out hugs to everyone. Hes more shy but chases the older girls around the playground.

Do they get into shouting matches yet? Those are always fun . Not really shouting but more like finding a note and trying to outlast the other
                          Lol, the competitive spirit.
                          Ler the eldest doesn't have a competitive bone in her body, she missed receiving the baton in the School sports relay the other day as she was too busy chatting!

Comment

Good to know that the bone route is still an option. :thumb:

You got this, Jawsie! We'll keep cheering you on - and I know you can hear us!
                            To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
                              Good to know that the bone route is still an option. :thumb:

You got this, Jawsie! We'll keep cheering you on - and I know you can hear us!
                              I'm hearing you in full technicolor Orange & Blue

Comment

• hey folks, hope everyone is well!

Comment

Working...
                                X