No announcement yet.

Welcome to the Cafe!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• -25 here in Madison with a windchill of anywhere from -30 to -60!

EVERYTHING is shut down, even Madison bars. You know it's cold when bars are closing!

Too bad hospitals can't close..... :angry: (Just kidding, but really it is kind of a pain to see Joe-schmo being able to sit home with a cup of Joe during the day while healthcare providers / emergency services have to go freeze our asses off - but that's what we signed up for).

Comment

• Originally posted by Peerless View Post
      -25 here in Madison with a windchill of anywhere from -30 to -60!

EVERYTHING is shut down, even Madison bars. You know it's cold when bars are closing!

Too bad hospitals can't close..... :angry: (Just kidding, but really it is kind of a pain to see Joe-schmo being able to sit home with a cup of Joe during the day while healthcare providers / emergency services have to go freeze our asses off - but that's what we signed up for).
      Gonna be 45 at the house and 54 here in Amarillo today..wind chill was 5 at 0500 this morning.
      [URL=http://s93.photobucket.com/user/Saddletramp69/media/asdf.jpg.html][/URL
      Adopted player Lindsey

Comment

Wow! That's cold!

Comment

• Have a great day folks. Skycam pic bout 3 hours south of me.
          Adopted player Lindsey

Comment

• Originally posted by Saddletramp View Post
            Have a great day folks. Skycam pic bout 3 hours south of me.
            Beautiful picture!

Comment

• I can use a nice, deep cold brew right now!
              *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
              *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
              *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

• Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
                I can use a nice, deep cold brew right now!

This... this is the goods..

Comment

I dont think I am that tough.... And not a fan of dark beer.

This is more my speed
                  Adopted player Lindsey

Comment

• Originally posted by Saddletramp View Post

This is more my speed
                    Ugh, I can't even look at it! The horror!

(But that's what's so awesome about beer. Many 'flavors' for many different folks and their own indivdualized preference!)

Comment

Ugh, I can't even look at it! The horror!

(But that's what's so awesome about beer. Many 'flavors' for many different folks and their own indivdualized preference!)
                      ������
                      My boss is the same way. And makes sure everyone knows I drink crappy beer....
                      Adopted player Lindsey

Comment

That stuff is amazing!!!!! Time to reboot the beer thread..

Originally posted by Saddletramp View Post

This is more my speed
                        Wait.. is that beer???

I tease!!!
                        *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
                        *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
                        *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

Well you can strip down to just one parka now that the polar vortex is moving on. But your comment made me curious about the freezing point of alcohol so I looked it up. Here's some interesting data:

Water freezes at 0 C (32 F) and the freezing point of pure ethanol alcohol is -114 C (-173.2 F). Alcoholic beverages are a mixture of both alcohol and water (in some cases, sugars and other additives as well) so the freezing point of your alcoholic beverages is somewhere in between.

The Freezing Temperatures of Alcohol

Type ABV Freezing Point Notes and Examples

Beer 3-10% -2 C (28 F) Not recommended for the freezer beyond a quick chill.
                          Wine 8-14% -5 C (23 F) More than an hour or two in the freezer and your are putting the wine at risk.
                          40 Proof Liquor 20% -7 C (22 F) Includes many low-proof liqueurs like Irish cream. If left in a really cold freezer too long, these may get slushy, but this is rare.
                          64 Proof Liquor 32% -23 C (-10 F) A liqueur like amaretto and a flavored whiskey like Fireball would fall in this range. These should be okay in the freezer.
                          80 Proof Liquor 40% -27 C (-17 F) Includes most standard base liquors like gin, vodka, whiskey, etc. You're clear for the freezer!

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

• Originally posted by L.M. View Post

Well you can strip down to just one parka now that the polar vortex is moving on. But your comment made me curious about the freezing point of alcohol so I looked it up. Here's some interesting data:

Water freezes at 0 C (32 F) and the freezing point of pure ethanol alcohol is -114 C (-173.2 F). Alcoholic beverages are a mixture of both alcohol and water (in some cases, sugars and other additives as well) so the freezing point of your alcoholic beverages is somewhere in between.

Wine 8-14% -5 C (23 F) More than an hour or two in the freezer and your are putting the wine at risk.
                            40 Proof Liquor 20% -7 C (22 F) Includes many low-proof liqueurs like Irish cream. If left in a really cold freezer too long, these may get slushy, but this is rare.
                            64 Proof Liquor 32% -23 C (-10 F) A liqueur like amaretto and a flavored whiskey like Fireball would fall in this range. These should be okay in the freezer.
                            80 Proof Liquor 40% -27 C (-17 F) Includes most standard base liquors like gin, vodka, whiskey, etc. You're clear for the freezer!
                            I lived in Russia for some time when I was younger. A buddy of mine used to swear by using cheap vodka for windshield wiper fluid. It was less expensive than normal fluids and guaranteed not to freeze unless really cold and if it did he didn't want to drive anyway. Driving with him I was always afraid of getting pulled over and smelling like a cheap bar and having to explain why.

Comment

• Originally posted by L.M. View Post

Interesting facts/stats! Will CP later on!

Comment

• Some of the folks in gd are driving me to something stronger than beer.....
                                Adopted player Lindsey

Comment

Working...
                                X