Welcome to the Cafe!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jaws View Post

To win the games that are expected is not always easy, especially on the east coast.
    Can't wait for the first home game.
    Fortunately, we don't have to wait tooo long!

Thanks, Reid!
    sigpic
    Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

• Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post

Don't let Teddy hear you talking about Lamar like that..... They're Louisville Bros! (I don't know if they actually know each other or not, but I'd be a bit surprised if they don't)
      Fair enough but I pretty much expected Jackson to run play after play last night.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post

Fair enough but I pretty much expected Jackson to run play after play last night.
        Well, if you give him the lanes, he'll take them.

Scary to play, because you have to play a near perfect game against them because he'll punish you if you don't contain him as well as everything else. (Not news to anyone, I know).

He's underrated as a passer though, and he's going to continually get better at that part. Been watching him since he replaced Bridgewater at Louisville.

There's a guy posting on Reddit who worked with the team when Jackson and Bridgewater were there, and he's got some great stories... but he pointed out the other day that he should have tried to make it out to the Ravens Broncos game, because how often will you get a chance to see your two favorite college QBs play each other? Wish I'd thought of it as well.

(My other favorite college QB is Josh Allen, cause I'm a UW fan first and foremost.... we had shots at all three of these guys in the draft, and I'm so glad to finally have one come 'home').
        Thanks, Reid!
        sigpic

Comment

Well, if you give him the lanes, he'll take them.

Scary to play, because you have to play a near perfect game against them because he'll punish you if you don't contain him as well as everything else. (Not news to anyone, I know).

He's underrated as a passer though, and he's going to continually get better at that part. Been watching him since he replaced Bridgewater at Louisville.

There's a guy posting on Reddit who worked with the team when Jackson and Bridgewater were there, and he's got some great stories... but he pointed out the other day that he should have tried to make it out to the Ravens Broncos game, because how often will you get a chance to see your two favorite college QBs play each other? Wish I'd thought of it as well.

(My other favorite college QB is Josh Allen, cause I'm a UW fan first and foremost.... we had shots at all three of these guys in the draft, and I'm so glad to finally have one come 'home').
          I was at a weak moment when I posted, because my fantasy opponent had Jackson and he went from few points in the first half somehow to an above average game, to the point I did not want the game to keep going because he was going to run up a huge amount of points!!

I admit I prefer a more stay at home QB, but with athleticism for sure (more Allen than Jackson). I wrote about that a while back, how the look of QBs is more towards that type of athlete. The exceptions that still win are Brady of course, and some others. I see Rodgers as in between, and not a bad runner when he was younger. But these kids are super athletes - Mahomes, Jackson, Allen, Murray, and so on. As for Lamar, even though I do not love his style, I think The Ravens once again displayed their football IQ as an organization by not only drafting him later in round one, but making sure to give him as much latitude as possible....rather than try to change him. Yes, he is a pretty good passer, which often goes by the wayside, because many assume he wants to run. And truthfully, he does not look like a traditional passer to me, but that's irrelevant. He can throw.

So my comment the other day about him being an RB at QB was leftover fantasy distaste (for that one game...luckily for me ole Rodgers was very productive last night).....and amazement how Jackson piled up all those points. It was like he did not need an RB in the backfield.

Comment

I was at a weak moment when I posted, because my fantasy opponent had Jackson and he went from few points in the first half somehow to an above average game, to the point I did not want the game to keep going because he was going to run up a huge amount of points!!

I admit I prefer a more stay at home QB, but with athleticism for sure (more Allen than Jackson). I wrote about that a while back, how the look of QBs is more towards that type of athlete. The exceptions that still win are Brady of course, and some others. I see Rodgers as in between, and not a bad runner when he was younger. But these kids are super athletes - Mahomes, Jackson, Allen, Murray, and so on. As for Lamar, even though I do not love his style, I think The Ravens once again displayed their football IQ as an organization by not only drafting him later in round one, but making sure to give him as much latitude as possible....rather than try to change him. Yes, he is a pretty good passer, which often goes by the wayside, because many assume he wants to run. And truthfully, he does not look like a traditional passer to me, but that's irrelevant. He can throw.

So my comment the other day about him being an RB at QB was leftover fantasy distaste (for that one game...luckily for me ole Rodgers was very productive last night).....and amazement how Jackson piled up all those points. It was like he did not need an RB in the backfield.

I don't mind or anything. Lamar and Ravens fans have taken the RB comments jokes and ran with them. I was mostly playing back with you.

He's underrated as a passer and as a learner. His passer rating numbers are pretty good (I had to go check) but they pass less than I think anybody else in the league, which helps his numbers as well.

If I was given the chance to take either of the Louisville QBs out of college though, as rookies with no foreknowledge of how it would work out and no complications of timing or anything... just based on their college play... I probably would have chosen Teddy over Lamar, despite Lamar's wild success in college. Bridgewater has all of the non-physical attributes you want, and to be honest, he's throwing better in the past two games than I remember him doing at any other point. I saw Bridgewater as a more pro-ready player, because you never know if the electric athlete who also throws pretty good will work out... wasn't sure if Lamar was fast/quick/nimble enough to continue to do that same stuff at this level.... which obviously he is. He's really good about avoiding hits as well, thank goodness.

Still.... I always had a bit of a softer spot for Bridgewater. Hard to explain. Maybe it's because everyone loves him. Maybe it's because he was a bit more of an underdog coming into the league. I'm not sure. I think a lot of it just is because of his style of play though. He looks/plays a lot more like your prototypical dropback passer (he is not a scrambler, or even really someone I would consider a mobile qb, even prior to his injury).

I couldn't be happier to be rooting for him now on our team though.

That game against Baltimore... that'll be a heck of a test for our team as a whole.

First things first though. Gotta really stomp the heck out of the Jets, as they deserve. Revenge game for Teddy.
            Thanks, Reid!
            sigpic

Comment

• I've really taken to Teddy too, adopted him as a matter of fact.

Comment

I don't mind or anything. Lamar and Ravens fans have taken the RB comments jokes and ran with them. I was mostly playing back with you.

He's underrated as a passer and as a learner. His passer rating numbers are pretty good (I had to go check) but they pass less than I think anybody else in the league, which helps his numbers as well.

If I was given the chance to take either of the Louisville QBs out of college though, as rookies with no foreknowledge of how it would work out and no complications of timing or anything... just based on their college play... I probably would have chosen Teddy over Lamar, despite Lamar's wild success in college. Bridgewater has all of the non-physical attributes you want, and to be honest, he's throwing better in the past two games than I remember him doing at any other point. I saw Bridgewater as a more pro-ready player, because you never know if the electric athlete who also throws pretty good will work out... wasn't sure if Lamar was fast/quick/nimble enough to continue to do that same stuff at this level.... which obviously he is. He's really good about avoiding hits as well, thank goodness.

Still.... I always had a bit of a softer spot for Bridgewater. Hard to explain. Maybe it's because everyone loves him. Maybe it's because he was a bit more of an underdog coming into the league. I'm not sure. I think a lot of it just is because of his style of play though. He looks/plays a lot more like your prototypical dropback passer (he is not a scrambler, or even really someone I would consider a mobile qb, even prior to his injury).

I couldn't be happier to be rooting for him now on our team though.

That game against Baltimore... that'll be a heck of a test for our team as a whole.

First things first though. Gotta really stomp the heck out of the Jets, as they deserve. Revenge game for Teddy.
                This is all good.

As for the two, based on Teddy's entry into the league, I would have rated him the better of the 2 QBs. Until the dreaded injury. Lamar on the other hand was a question mark, and I remember how people were scratching their heads what to do with him just prior to the draft. Many were unimpressed. Many did not see him going first round. Some saw good potential. In my opinion, The Ravens read the tea leaves perfectly.

As for Teddy, if nothing else this year, I want him to have a good year because he deserves it.

Comment

• Here's a picture of Tom Jackson and Muhammad Ali at a Louisville game a few years back (obviously) with Ali wearing Teddy's Jersey -

It seems weird, and probably way too early to say this... but if things continue to go well for Teddy here in Denver and he gets extended, or even ends up in a different place as an actual long term starter again.... it almost feels like his journey the past several years was kind of what he really needed.

When he went to the Jets for a tiny bit and got shipped out just to avoid starting QB drama (he outplayed Darnold there by every report), I don't think he was fully physically ready to lead a team. This also led him to get a year with Sean Payton and Drew Brees as he continued to regain strength and confidence. It also kept him out of that horrible organization that makes a separate game out of ruining QBs. From a bad situation to a perfect one, IMO... NO was the last talented team he was on before this year, and if you watched him then, he looked ok, but nowhere near as good as he does now. I think he was still on recovery path.

Then he got his year in Carolina. The year didn't go well, but I think playing through all those struggles and having his body hold up to it really has helped him regain his confidence in himself and his health.

Now, back to the same system he was learning to thrive in pre-injury, with boatloads of talent around him (no homer), having had time in multiple systems, with at least some good influences along the way...

It's still early in the season, but again... as a huge Teddy fan, I can say this is the best ball I've seen him play. He's taken the next step he was supposed to take years ago if not for that horrific injury.

So I guess that's all to say... I agree. He deserves it.

Sorry for bringing so much football talk into ABF, but I like to come here to just chat, and there's not always a great place to put such posts, and you know. I just like talking football with the Cafe crowd.
                  Thanks, Reid!
                  sigpic

Comment

• ^^^^^^Better coffee here too!!!

Comment

• I could go for some coffee......
                      Thanks, Reid!
                      sigpic

Comment

• Hey LT....not going to get into detail, but I always wonder about the time I was invited to a certain get together. I wonder in a nice way.

Do you know the whereabouts of Fargo these days? Is he running The US yet?

Comment

• Fargo crossed my thoughts a few months ago, and I reached out to him.

He's doing well. Not running the US yet, but they should be on notice.
                          Thanks, Reid!
                          sigpic

Comment

Fargo crossed my thoughts a few months ago, and I reached out to him.

He's doing well. Not running the US yet, but they should be on notice.
                            Thx for that. I like that young man.

Comment

Thx for that. I like that young man.
                              Me too. We had a good chat, and it was great to see he's doing well. Working on his Ph.D.
                              Thanks, Reid!
                              sigpic

Comment

Me too. We had a good chat, and it was great to see he's doing well. Working on his Ph.D.
                                If you talk again, say "hi" for me.

Thx!

Comment

Working...
                                X