Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welcome to the Cafe!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
    Oh, pretty decent... getting into the Holiday spirit...

    Trying to learn not to stress too much about work, and trying to regain my motivation to get work done.

    You?
    Try not to be a grinch

    Trying to stomach the fact that redoing my less than 300 sq ft deck is gonna cost between 35k and 40k.
    Glen Haven Fire

    Comment


    • Originally posted by armedequation View Post

      Try not to be a grinch

      Trying to stomach the fact that redoing my less than 300 sq ft deck is gonna cost between 35k and 40k.
      Let me try to put a positive spin on it...if you can afford it, you are doing pretty darn good!

      Comment


      • Originally posted by armedequation View Post

        Try not to be a grinch

        Trying to stomach the fact that redoing my less than 300 sq ft deck is gonna cost between 35k and 40k.
        Yeah... we got quotes on refinishing or expanding our deck earlier this year and the quotes were STUPID.

        Comment


        • Yeah....even a bathroom can be quite expensive. My friend is currently spending a load on one.

          We were thinking of upgrading the smaller one, so I am waiting to see how his turns out. Unless you are a do it your selfer, the trouble is that good contractors are expensive, and cheaper ones can make you regret it.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by armedequation View Post

            Try not to be a grinch

            Trying to stomach the fact that redoing my less than 300 sq ft deck is gonna cost between 35k and 40k.
            Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post

            Yeah... we got quotes on refinishing or expanding our deck earlier this year and the quotes were STUPID.
            DIY?

            One of the hardest things about becoming a homeowner was not being able to call the landlord to get repairs made on things. Hubby built our deck and fence (he's also become a pretty good plumber) . He said you can find anything on YouTube.
            Administrator

            Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

            Lupus Awareness Month

            "a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Peanut View Post



              DIY?

              One of the hardest things about becoming a homeowner was not being able to call the landlord to get repairs made on things. Hubby built our deck and fence (he's also become a pretty good plumber) . He said you can find anything on YouTube.
              Lmao.

              No, sadly not for me... and a lot of the cost is in proper grade lumber, unfortunately, which is through the roof these days.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post

                Lmao.

                No, sadly not for me... and a lot of the cost is in proper grade lumber, unfortunately, which is through the roof these days.
                There is a lot of evidence of do it yourself catastrophes. If you are good at it, go for it, but some dudes mess up, or end up paying for someone to finish the job. Actually redo the whole thing.

                Click image for larger version

Name:	2jernb.gif
Views:	45
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	8387403

                Comment


                • I've gotten very good at mounting tvs. I try not to push ny luck.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
                    I've gotten very good at mounting tvs. I try not to push ny luck.

                    My dad was one of the best carpenters in our city. Not because I thought so, but because of the company he worked for and the reputation he had. But I am no good at building.

                    Now, if you want me to tear down, now we're talking! When I worked a summer with his company, we got to bash down walls for rebuild. Loved that stuff!!

                    Click image for larger version

Name:	tenor.gif?itemid=12917269.gif
Views:	49
Size:	3.34 MB
ID:	8387471

                    Yeah, I'm in there somewhere.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Peanut View Post



                      DIY?

                      One of the hardest things about becoming a homeowner was not being able to call the landlord to get repairs made on things. Hubby built our deck and fence (he's also become a pretty good plumber) . He said you can find anything on YouTube.
                      I would but 2 things

                      1) LT is spot on. Half of the cost is materials.

                      2) no time. Wife is on night shift and kids dont let me get much done except their stuff
                      Glen Haven Fire

                      Comment


                      • Hey!

                        Everyone come look!

                        Got someone on a message board to admit I was right!

                        It's a festivus miracle!

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
                          Hey!

                          Everyone come look!

                          Got someone on a message board to admit I was right!

                          It's a festivus miracle!
                          Before you get too happy just remember my opinion doesnt count for much...thats what my wife says anyways
                          Glen Haven Fire

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
                            Hey!

                            Everyone come look!

                            Got someone on a message board to admit I was right!

                            It's a festivus miracle!
                            Originally posted by armedequation View Post

                            Before you get too happy just remember my opinion doesnt count for much...thats what my wife says anyways
                            I thought you might be referring to a thread in The Broncos forum, which could by definition be a miracle, given who it might be. But like you, I keep on trying, because miracles are pretty dang cool!! Risk / reward.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Peanut View Post



                              DIY?

                              One of the hardest things about becoming a homeowner was not being able to call the landlord to get repairs made on things. Hubby built our deck and fence (he's also become a pretty good plumber) . He said you can find anything on YouTube.
                              He sounds a bit like my brother who does those kind of things in between Opera jobs. Saves us a lot of dosh.
                              Our newly fitted kitchen is very pleasing. My Mum is absolutely delighted with it.
                              it's really nice to see her enjoy it, especially in present circumstances. She was diagnosed with early stages Alzheimer's a couple of weeks ago. She's taking it well. Devastating on one level, but also a relief knowing what it is. Already she's beating herself up less and not thinking of herself as "stupid" or "hopeless" knowing there's a medical reason for it. She's on meds to slow deterioration.

                              Comment


                              • Aw. Sorry to hear that, but glad she's taking it well and is medicated.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X