Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post

Yeah, that's certainly fair.

I need at least two packets of the instant stuff though. At least. Having more than that feels wasteful or too much, but 2 sometimes just isn't enough.

I'd definitely go with Orange.
    Are you still wearing the glasses?

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post

Are you still wearing the glasses?
      Always.

Comment

• Originally posted by Peerless View Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	SignatureEggSausageCheesePotatoBurritos.png
Views:	24
Size:	308.7 KB
ID:	8406854

These are the bees knees.
        El mont is way better than tinas.

LT what add meds are you taking? You dont have to answer. I used to take meds up until i was 16 (24 years ago lol wow). Just curious what they have out there now. Unfortunately it looks like my son has it
        Glen Haven Fire

Comment

• Originally posted by armedequation View Post

El mont is way better than tinas.

LT what add meds are you taking? You dont have to answer. I used to take meds up until i was 16 (24 years ago lol wow). Just curious what they have out there now. Unfortunately it looks like my son has it
          I take classic (non extended release) Adderall.

I like that it's a bit easier to control my dosage and do it as an 'as needed' amount. Plus it's way cheaper, and that was a pretty big concern when I first started taking them again as an adult.

I took Ritalin as a child before Adderall was a thing... took Adderall until I was 18, but didn't after HS. Got back into it when I went back to college.

I can function pretty well without it depending on what I have going on. A lot of my job (90% or more) though is self-driven... and I have nearly zero motivation to work without it most times. I'll do little piddly stuff that has to get done as it comes across my desk, but I won't put in real work that needs to get done.

Not always, but yeah.

For me, the movie 'Limitless' is a great way to explain it to people who are curious what it's like having ADD and taking ADD meds that work for you. I'm not saying it makes me the smartest person in any room or anything.. there is no such thing as a magic pill like in that movie... but the way it just opens you up to be productive and get stuff done... they really kind of illustrate that well in that film.

We loved the tv show spinoff as well. So naturally it only lasted a season.

Comment

I take classic (non extended release) Adderall.

I like that it's a bit easier to control my dosage and do it as an 'as needed' amount. Plus it's way cheaper, and that was a pretty big concern when I first started taking them again as an adult.

I took Ritalin as a child before Adderall was a thing... took Adderall until I was 18, but didn't after HS. Got back into it when I went back to college.

I can function pretty well without it depending on what I have going on. A lot of my job (90% or more) though is self-driven... and I have nearly zero motivation to work without it most times. I'll do little piddly stuff that has to get done as it comes across my desk, but I won't put in real work that needs to get done.

Not always, but yeah.

For me, the movie 'Limitless' is a great way to explain it to people who are curious what it's like having ADD and taking ADD meds that work for you. I'm not saying it makes me the smartest person in any room or anything.. there is no such thing as a magic pill like in that movie... but the way it just opens you up to be productive and get stuff done... they really kind of illustrate that well in that film.

We loved the tv show spinoff as well. So naturally it only lasted a season.
            I never found any prescription that worked for me. Limitless was a great movie...and a good show. All the good ones get cancelled.

tried quite a few nootropics too but nothing works well for any length of time.

im gonna avoid giving my kid prescriptions if i can help it. We will see...
            Glen Haven Fire

Comment

• Originally posted by armedequation View Post

I never found any prescription that worked for me. Limitless was a great movie...and a good show. All the good ones get cancelled.

tried quite a few nootropics too but nothing works well for any length of time.

im gonna avoid giving my kid prescriptions if i can help it. We will see...
              Working with them early on being structured in their planning etc and good nutrition can do a lot for them.

Even as an early guinea pig for ADD meds, I strongly encourage them to be a last resort.

Heck, I finally got to the place where I was using them as an adult and happy, and my doc told me I'd probably want to be prepared to ween myself from them as I get older.

Comment

• It is worth noting that there's a bunch more meds available to try now than when we were kids, Armed.... there could still be something new that would work well for you out there. I'm not too up on the latest and greatest and too lazy to research/try them myself since Adderall works well for me.

Same goes true for methods of dealing/coping with ADD in addition to or in place of meds.

If Adderall didn't work for you... there may be a strong chance that they wouldn't/won't for your kids.... it maybe wouldn't hurt for you to maybe test the waters with some stuff and see what works well for you, as it's very likely that similar things could be successful in helping your kids.

Granted... I've got no real expertise other than being one of the early ADD kids, and the fact that my Mom worked so hard on figuring it out that she became an ADD coach for a while.

Comment

• My gut tells me that many more people have ADD then have been diagnosed. In that regard, I would think that the % of the population that have some form of it is reasonably high.

Do you folks know what % is attributed to ADD/ADHD? Perhaps you can help clarify ADD vs ADHD if you don't mind.

As an aside, I believe society in general is less focused than ever before, but some of it has to do with technological addiction to some degree, and even possibly the lack of discipline that results in less reading and commitment to tasks. But those things have nothing to do with having ADD, and the effort taken by folks like you to minimize its impact.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                    My gut tells me that many more people have ADD then have been diagnosed. In that regard, I would think that the % of the population that have some form of it is reasonably high.

Do you folks know what % is attributed to ADD/ADHD? Perhaps you can help clarify ADD vs ADHD if you don't mind.

As an aside, I believe society in general is less focused than ever before, but some of it has to do with technological addiction to some degree, and even possibly the lack of discipline that results in less reading and commitment to tasks. But those things have nothing to do with having ADD, and the effort taken by folks like you to minimize its impact.
                    Oh, I could go and go on the topic quite a bit.

In short.... ADD = Attention Deficit Disorder - ADHD = Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder.

There is no difference between the two. They are the exact same disorder. It was called ADD initially, then later it was changed to ADHD. I disliked that change, as Hyperactivity is just one symptom of the disorder, and it does not affect all those who have the disorder. It was supposed to be a change to make for better describing the disorder, but I felt then and feel now that it actually moved in the wrong direction.

I think the actual reasoning behind the scenes to push for this was so that educators and pharmaceutical companies could try to get parents on board more easily... and it is/was partially responsible for the over-prescribing of drugs and over-diagnosis of kids.

I have always and will always call it ADD, except to explain why I call it that.

I also long felt that ADD is more of a spectrum disorder.... I don't mean as part of the Autism Spectrum... but just that it's not so much a matter of whether or not you have this disorder so much as it's a matter of how much of an issue is your neurotransmitter levels (the root cause of ADD).

So while I do feel that ADHD/ADD diagnosis was/is out of control for a while, I also feel that there's a bunch of people who have some level of issues for related reasons that have no clue or are undiagnosed. Medication is not necessarily the answer for these people.

I thought that long before Autism Spectrum was recognized as a spectrum as opposed to a specific disorder.... It *seems* though I could be incorrect (because as I mentioned, I only partially keep up on news in this arena these days) that science is starting to agree with me on this... so I'm pretty proud of that.

Seems to me that it's common sense.... ADD is primarily caused by a lack of production of neurotransmitters. So using very fake numbers... lets say the average 13 year old brain produces 2 Million neurotransmitters in an hour, and that works well to make their brain function. So let's say my 13 year old brain was producing 1.5 Million neurotransmitters in an hour. This causes some dysfunction in my brain. It causes a number of symptoms, they vary from person to person. What about someone with 1.7 Million neurotransmitters/hour? 1.9M? 1.99? 2.5M?

It seems counterintuitive to combat hyperactivity with prescription versions of speed... which is what most ADD meds are (in a simplistic manner). The reason why it works is because it ups that neurotransmitter production.

That's a relatively short breakdown on my view on the subject. Please understand that I am not an expert on the subject, just that I was very well informed early on and have kept a passive eye on the stuff over the years. Everything I have said may be 100% incorrect for all I know. This is not medical advice.

Then there's focus and technology addiction - a whole separate issue I could rant on but don't have the time.

Anyway... hope some of that helps.

Comment

It is worth noting that there's a bunch more meds available to try now than when we were kids, Armed.... there could still be something new that would work well for you out there. I'm not too up on the latest and greatest and too lazy to research/try them myself since Adderall works well for me.

Same goes true for methods of dealing/coping with ADD in addition to or in place of meds.

If Adderall didn't work for you... there may be a strong chance that they wouldn't/won't for your kids.... it maybe wouldn't hurt for you to maybe test the waters with some stuff and see what works well for you, as it's very likely that similar things could be successful in helping your kids.

Granted... I've got no real expertise other than being one of the early ADD kids, and the fact that my Mom worked so hard on figuring it out that she became an ADD coach for a while.
                      Yeah i almost wasnt able to get into the military because i had taken meds for so long. Mj i found was the best medicine because it either slowed down my mind enough for my body to keep up or it allowed me to not pay attention to what my mind was doing. Like i could focus on what was in front of me while my thought process was a radio station playing in the backround and i could key into it when i wanted to. I havent taken anything for my add in years. Theres no outward signs anymore, only internal but i guess my mind has figured out a way to deal with it.

Can - adhd in my opinion is commonly overdiagnosed in kids. Most kids are hyper anyways and i dont really see the need for a distinction between the two. For some its mental, for some it manifests physically or it can be both when that proverbial cup is full so to speak.
                      Glen Haven Fire

Comment

• Thx guys!

I really believe, whether it be a "disorder" or the basic conscious decision to not focus (because of technology "addiction", or the need for instant gratification, or even slivers of FOMO, or other modern day social behaviour influences), it has become a very common societal trait. The difference for me is that some folks are born with it, and are mostly trying to manage it, whereas far too many were not born with it, and are just not trying to pay attention to things, people, life in general. Get off that phone/computer!!! I could go on a rant when even thinking about its impact on customer service, or basically doing a job you are paid to do!! Hey, ask some of these dudes what someone just said, and you might be surprised how few will answer correctly.
                        Last edited by CanDB; 02-09-2022, 02:24 PM.

Comment

• Oof bad night with the little guy. Poor wife - I think he’s cluster feeding. EVERY hour.

Comment

• Originally posted by Peerless View Post
                            Oof bad night with the little guy. Poor wife - I think he’s cluster feeding. EVERY hour.
                            Time for you to start pitching in on the breast feeding....

Comment

Time for you to start pitching in on the breast feeding....
                              Well we wanted to try that a few days ago. I’m fact, wife was starting to pump so I could get to work early in the AMs. Unfortunately, little Cooper started consistently spitting up/coughing too frequently during breast feedings. Pediatrician recommended starting bottle feeding by 4 weeks as pumping too early causes the mom to make an abundance of milk that little Coopers stomach couldn’t keep up with.

It it was crazy to hear his stomach is the size of a cherry....

Comment

• This is another good part of being parents in the 2020's compared to waaaay back when. You can share what's happening with others, and get loads of feedback from all sources.

Comment

Working...
                                X