No announcement yet.

Welcome to the Cafe!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know I have talked about this before, somewhere(??), but it still amazes me when going for a walk in our nearby park, only to come close to dear. Like barely 15 feet sometimes. Who take a look or two, but maintain their place as long as we do not startle them. They are simply beautiful!

Comment

• Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post

I sometimes have to leave the room if mushrooms are being cooked.

I'm also allergic to other forms of fungi, and I wonder if that plays a part. (Penicillin and many derivatives).

I can't stand them, but I don't begrudge those that like them. I'm even willing to pick them out of my food and not throw a fuss about it.

But what gets me is when people tell me I should like them 'because you can't even taste them in the food... they just take the flavor of what they're cooked in...' We may throw down.

Because if that's true, why bother putting them in at all?!

Denver weather is being especially fun the next 24 hours or so.

Can't complain.

Saturday is our 11 year wedding anniversary.
      I would put mushrooms on everything if I could. If they had no taste, I wouldn't eat them.

Happy Anniversary!
      sigpic
      Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
      Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
      Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton
      Adopted Bronco - 2021/22 - Shelby Harris

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post
        I know I have talked about this before, somewhere(??), but it still amazes me when going for a walk in our nearby park, only to come close to dear. Like barely 15 feet sometimes. Who take a look or two, but maintain their place as long as we do not startle them. They are simply beautiful!
        I saw a deer at the park I frequent with my dogs during the covid period, when everyone was distancing. It was so out of place. I live in the desert and have never seen a deer in our town in the couple decades I've lived here. I didn't know where it came from or where it was going. Normally though when we catch them in mountain area's, it is pretty cool just watch them and they pay little attention to you if you leave them alone.
        sigpic

Comment

• I have a question. We are grown ups after all.

I think of this as a place to have coffee, shoot the breeze and so on. Friendly stuff. Company. I can't help but notice that I usually get zero for my effort, whereas others seem to get something. If I am not welcome here, just tell me. I'll stop visiting this forum. I'd rather we drop the points than feel uncomfortable in company I thought was company.

It's a bit like cancel culture. We like you but not so much. If we like you.

Seriously. The points mean nothing. But the impact can be felt.

Why does this matter?....because it is unnecessary and it can be disappointing if you are trying to build a community spirit.

Thank you.

(I'll return if I hear something back on this)

Comment

One person's trash is another person's treasure...(give me some!!)

I shall happily oblige, for once the Shark will feed instead of expecting to be fed.

My Granddaughters had a crash course in Shark studies today at the Blue Planet Aquarium. The youngest was so excited she was up at 5 a.m and had packed her bag full of snacks and toys for the journey.

Comment

I have a question. We are grown ups after all.

I think of this as a place to have coffee, shoot the breeze and so on. Friendly stuff. Company. I can't help but notice that I usually get zero for my effort, whereas others seem to get something. If I am not welcome here, just tell me. I'll stop visiting this forum. I'd rather we drop the points than feel uncomfortable in company I thought was company.

Why does this matter?....because it is unnecessary and it can be disappointing if you are trying to build a community spirit.

Thank you.

I slept on what you said.
              You're right, points mean nothing. You get something better, people respond to what you say and engage with you (you also get points, not as many as you like maybe).
              You keep conversations going, you're the glue.
              Yep, maybe sometimes that makes people take you for granted and you become part of the furniture and I'm sorry if you've been made to feel like that once in a while.
              Handing out points is kind of easy, I sometimes find myself giving one just because I don't know what to say and respond yet want to acknowledge the post in some way or other.
              Having someone quote you and engage is far more of a reward IMO.
              Anyway, you are valued.
              I may not post much here, health challenges, my own, my Mum's, my Son's often mean I'm just a lurker but I really love the fact that a handful of you guys have brought this cafe to life in recent times again. Keep it going all of you. And get your tail out to the Azores when you wake up Can, I'll be waiting for you with that pick me up Coffee and something sweet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaws View Post

I slept on what you said.
                You're right, points mean nothing. You get something better, people respond to what you say and engage with you (you also get points, not as many as you like maybe).
                You keep conversations going, you're the glue.
                Yep, maybe sometimes that makes people take you for granted and you become part of the furniture and I'm sorry if you've been made to feel like that once in a while.
                Handing out points is kind of easy, I sometimes find myself giving one just because I don't know what to say and respond yet want to acknowledge the post in some way or other.
                Having someone quote you and engage is far more of a reward IMO.
                Anyway, you are valued.
                I may not post much here, health challenges, my own, my Mum's, my Son's often mean I'm just a lurker but I really love the fact that a handful of you guys have brought this cafe to life in recent times again. Keep it going all of you. And get your tail out to the Azores when you wake up Can, I'll be waiting for you with that pick me up Coffee and something sweet.
                Thanks pal.

I appreciate your words. I will weigh things over. I don't care about the points. I did in more early years because it was new and it was all part of process. I liked that people I did not know enjoyed some things I had to say.

But I prefer the conversation than the likes. I think we would have even better conversations if we just talked, and not had that other option. I know it's part of the technology, but my feeling is that, it has proven to be a negative aspect of people's lives these days, especially young ones who are getting too attached to instant pats on the back....or worse, the fear of rejection.

(I'll find a table for whoever shows up)

Comment

I know I have talked about this before, somewhere(??), but it still amazes me when going for a walk in our nearby park, only to come close to dear. Like barely 15 feet sometimes. Who take a look or two, but maintain their place as long as we do not startle them. They are simply beautiful!
                  Originally posted by Sophia23 View Post

I saw a deer at the park I frequent with my dogs during the covid period, when everyone was distancing. It was so out of place. I live in the desert and have never seen a deer in our town in the couple decades I've lived here. I didn't know where it came from or where it was going. Normally though when we catch them in mountain area's, it is pretty cool just watch them and they pay little attention to you if you leave them alone.
                  A deer is one of the few things I have yet to see in my little wilderness behind my house that I have yet to. I've seen a number of things I didn't know to expect, but it seems like a perfect spot for a deer to sneak in every now and then.

It's not a huge deal, because I've seen plenty over the years, both here as well as when I was out west. (My Grandma had some in her small fenced in yard once).

It would be very cool to see though. Some day. Especially if the woods are covered in snow at the time. That would be magical. Of course that only happens a handful of times a year here to begin with.

I HAVE seen one on the other side of this little forest that more or less ends in my back yard.... so I know they have been in this specific forest even.

Some day....

Comment

Thanks pal.

I appreciate your words. I will weigh things over. I don't care about the points. I did in more early years because it was new and it was all part of process. I liked that people I did not know enjoyed some things I had to say.

But I prefer the conversation than the likes. I think we would have even better conversations if we just talked, and not had that other option. I know it's part of the technology, but my feeling is that, it has proven to be a negative aspect of people's lives these days, especially young ones who are getting too attached to instant pats on the back....or worse, the fear of rejection.

(I'll find a table for whoever shows up)
                    Can, you are a large part of what has kept the Cafe moving of late.

I know *I* appreciate it, and I know in my heart that most if not all others who stop in also do.

I wasn't around when CPs went to the wayside and likes came along. I imagine that if it wasn't an issue with the technology not being supported, it was possibly due to the potential negative repercussions.

I used to obsess over points as much as anyone. It was fun, and it was an interesting time on the boards.

I think it even added to the boards overall.

That said.... no amount of social media clout is worth worrying too much about.

Comment

• Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post

Can, you are a large part of what has kept the Cafe moving of late.

I know *I* appreciate it, and I know in my heart that most if not all others who stop in also do.

I wasn't around when CPs went to the wayside and likes came along. I imagine that if it wasn't an issue with the technology not being supported, it was possibly due to the potential negative repercussions.

I used to obsess over points as much as anyone. It was fun, and it was an interesting time on the boards.

I think it even added to the boards overall.

That said.... no amount of social media clout is worth worrying too much about.
                      Thx pal.

Just to be sure, for anyone who reads this, I am not asking for kudos. I am asking for community type interaction. In my opinion, a board or any type of group interaction is better when the onus is on what you have to say, not who you are. In that regard, it's even ok to argue a little, because that's part of the people process. It's reality and often leads to better relationships. IF both parties are in it for the right reasons.

Have a good one!

Comment

• Random test...

is the site changing Home to HOME?

Test test. lol

edit. Yep.

HTML Code:
                        is what's getting randomly changed to 'home' Kinda funny.

Comment

I have a question. We are grown ups after all.

Thank you.

I think it is the amount of posts from you versus others and that is the difference. You post a great deal more than others at times. I may like one of your posts, but then you post more. I don't like each post I respond to. The likes mean nothing, but I understand where you are coming from.

I miss the cp system, mainly for the private little message you could add to them. They were also limited though, so people had to decide when they were worth giving out. It was different and not visible.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Sophia23 View Post

I think it is the amount of posts from you versus others and that is the difference. You post a great deal more than others at times. I may like one of your posts, but then you post more. I don't like each post I respond to. The likes mean nothing, but I understand where you are coming from.

I miss the cp system, mainly for the private little message you could add to them. They were also limited though, so people had to decide when they were worth giving out. It was different and not visible.

I personally also preferred the CP system. It was a lot of fun and a great way to send baby PMs and/or support someone's post without cluttering up the thread or making a public thing of it.

That said... there was certainly issues in the system, and I won't pretend it was perfect. It was certainly a lot of fun in the early days though when we didn't even fully know the extent of the levels or privileges to unlock, and there were dozens of congrats threads a week about people reaching milestones.... good times. The only time 'fake internet points' ever really got their heels in me. lol.

Good memories. That said, if I were building a new forum myself, not sure if I would include likes or upvotes or cps or anything like that at all.

In any case.... early morning for me... had to get the early start to release an update. I love working in the early morning when I know nobody will bug me.

Now... I think I will figure out something for breakfast.

I'm thinking oatmeal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sophia23 View Post

I will respond to the posting more part. I understand. But though I post a little more in this thread, it's not really a good reason to constantly favour another member. Again, I am being very open about this, because it may be the reason I actually leave. As I described it to someone else....this thread is mostly about friendly chatter between a pretty good group overall. When LT and I converse, I feel like we are just having a good conversation, sort of like in a cafe. But imagine a face to face conversation like that, with others at the same table. And though we are conversing together, one person gets all the thumbs up, even though the responses are very similar, and balanced....with the intent of making this an even better place.

Forget about me and all my posts (though you did mention it) I am fully aware of the volume. But isolate your thoughts to this specific thread. And lets be real, it's not volume because some people are getting likes for every post, even though many are just simple and not really better than the average.

This comes down to a system that is similar to what other social media employ, where likes are as common as sand in the desert. The CP system was better in my opinion for more than one reason. As noted, the comments. Also, because the mods restricted the number you could use in a day, and to who you sent to, which resolved the issue of folks helping someone move up the previously relevant status levels, which involved benefits. That's no longer valid (given one person could literally load up a buddy's points in no time), though I believe the benefits are still the same.

Anyway, try to think beyond the number of posts, and picture the cafe as a unique place to gather, and then think how cool it would be if we didn't send likes back and forth, rather got to know one another, and share as a community. I get the comment about volume, but I don't see it as relevant in this thread, where we should be promoting positivity versus popularity.

Hey, folks can disagree with me, but I am trying to help create the best environment possible. Maybe it's not the view of others.

Comment

• Trying to create the best environment possible is admirable and something we should all always strive for.

That said, there's nothing that a software or group can do to ever enforce anything against who people like/don't like or respond/don't respond to.

There's a limit to what sorts of things can be controlled.

Comment

Working...
                                X