No announcement yet.

Welcome to the Cafe!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can tell I am getting closer to 40 by the number of times a week I use the phrase 'need a nap'

Comment

• Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
      Trying to create the best environment possible is admirable and something we should all always strive for.

That said, there's nothing that a software or group can do to ever enforce anything against who people like/don't like or respond/don't respond to.

There's a limit to what sorts of things can be controlled.
      This. -first sentence

This. -second sentence

And this. -third sentence

Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
      I can tell I am getting closer to 40 by the number of times a week I use the phrase 'need a nap'
      Naps are nice.
      Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

Lupus Awareness Month

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

• Originally posted by Peanut View Post

Naps are nice.
        In theory perhaps.

I don't test the theory often enough to say one way or another.

Soon, perhaps.

Comment

Trying to create the best environment possible is admirable and something we should all always strive for.

That said, there's nothing that a software or group can do to ever enforce anything against who people like/don't like or respond/don't respond to.

There's a limit to what sorts of things can be controlled.
          No no, I get that. Initially when the like process took over I asked if there was any technology/process activity that can be done to alter the "over zealous" part. Not sure if I ever got an answer.

Because this system appears to be the be all end all, I voice my views, but in my opinion, for the good of this board. I do so expecting some more flack for doing it, and even some broad misconception as to why I do it. But based on my experiences, some folks challenge things for the right reasons. I take the chance of being incorrect in my perspective, but I stay with my gut.

So here's my potentially last take unless others still want to discuss....which by the way, they can do via pm. IF this one thread has any chance to be a model of what the entire board can be, because it is more low key, friendly and hopefully community minded, then we can make it that. But for my money, this would be a perfect thread where there is nothing more to be gained than good conversation. We could make that happen, pretty much with the typical group that shows up here. Sure we could celebrate this friendship with likes now and again, because it would be relevant in terms of today's society. But I stick by my take, it is very annoying to have a fun chat with others and yet see those silly little reminders all the time that we are not one as a group.

I do call it mini cancel culture. As in, I like you, but not so much you. Again, put it in perspective. Is this not the perfect place to act like community? It's not like we don't know who shows up here most often.

As for the other threads....I get my share, so I am not thinking "poor me". I know what I bring. But if folks are patted on the back for everything they say, they may actually believe they are amazing.

Again, feel free to pm me if you wish to discuss. I know some folks here really dislike when I bring this topic up.

Be cool. And thanks for all the good interaction here!
          Last edited by CanDB; 05-25-2022, 08:55 AM.

Comment

• My likes are given because I like a post.
            It's not given because I like the person. It's not Tinder where you swipe right
            It's purely instinctive, something is said that lifts me, or I want to acknowledge a word of support, or show support. Sometimes I hardly even notice who made the post.
            I've given LT several likes even though I can't stand him
            Last edited by Jaws; 05-25-2022, 02:49 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post

I will respond to the posting more part. I understand. But though I post a little more in this thread, it's not really a good reason to constantly favour another member. Again, I am being very open about this, because it may be the reason I actually leave. As I described it to someone else....this thread is mostly about friendly chatter between a pretty good group overall. When LT and I converse, I feel like we are just having a good conversation, sort of like in a cafe. But imagine a face to face conversation like that, with others at the same table. And though we are conversing together, one person gets all the thumbs up, even though the responses are very similar, and balanced....with the intent of making this an even better place.

Forget about me and all my posts (though you did mention it) I am fully aware of the volume. But isolate your thoughts to this specific thread. And lets be real, it's not volume because some people are getting likes for every post, even though many are just simple and not really better than the average.

This comes down to a system that is similar to what other social media employ, where likes are as common as sand in the desert. The CP system was better in my opinion for more than one reason. As noted, the comments. Also, because the mods restricted the number you could use in a day, and to who you sent to, which resolved the issue of folks helping someone move up the previously relevant status levels, which involved benefits. That's no longer valid (given one person could literally load up a buddy's points in no time), though I believe the benefits are still the same.

Anyway, try to think beyond the number of posts, and picture the cafe as a unique place to gather, and then think how cool it would be if we didn't send likes back and forth, rather got to know one another, and share as a community. I get the comment about volume, but I don't see it as relevant in this thread, where we should be promoting positivity versus popularity.

Hey, folks can disagree with me, but I am trying to help create the best environment possible. Maybe it's not the view of others.
              You can't tell when I quote you, but I liked that post.

I like what I like.
              sigpic
              Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
              Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
              Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton
              Adopted Bronco - 2021/22 - Shelby Harris

Comment

I can tell I am getting closer to 40 by the number of times a week I use the phrase 'need a nap'
                My husband has been complaining lately that I work too much. So I didn't stay over today. I logged out to find he is napping. Now an hour later, he still napping. I could be working right now.
                sigpic
                Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
                Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
                Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton
                Adopted Bronco - 2021/22 - Shelby Harris

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaws View Post
                  My likes are given because I like a post.
                  It's not given because I like the person. It's not Tinder where you swipe right
                  It's purely instinctive, something is said that lifts me, or I want to acknowledge a word of support, or show support. Sometimes I hardly even notice who made the post.
                  I've given LT several likes even though I can't stand him
                  That's ok, because I never notice whether I get them or not. I'd never know that you accidentally liked something I said.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sophia23 View Post

My husband has been complaining lately that I work too much. So I didn't stay over today. I logged out to find he is napping. Now an hour later, he still napping. I could be working right now.
                    lol.

Working from home?

It can be hard to balance.

I've been through phases where I worked too much... and being available outside standard hours is part of the gig, and it used to be a large part of the gig.

I'm trying to balance it out by working too little these days.

We'll see how that goes.

Comment

• Anyway.....got our 2nd boost yesterday. Gotta say, not only do I have that upper arm pain, but I feel a little yucky. But it's the price I pay to become "Superman". Invincible. Well, superman with daily aches and pains, but I do have a Super pill.....the big A (dvil), to support me in my quest.

Comment

For most of my friends, you would be considered a youngin. Mind you, we all like a nap once in a while.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                          Anyway.....got our 2nd boost yesterday. Gotta say, not only do I have that upper arm pain, but I feel a little yucky. But it's the price I pay to become "Superman". Invincible. Well, superman with daily aches and pains, but I do have a Super pill.....the big A (dvil), to support me in my quest.

]
                          Good. I've had a lot of people close to me getting the thing lately. Not the shot. The bad thing.

Originally posted by CanDB View Post

For most of my friends, you would be considered a youngin. Mind you, we all like a nap once in a while.
                          For most my friends, I am considered a youngin. I am the baby of our group. Some of my closest friends are closer to my parents' age than to my own.

Comment

That's ok, because I never notice whether I get them or not. I'd never know that you accidentally liked something I said.
                            I'm kinda the same too!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaws View Post

I'm kinda the same too!
                              LordTrychon liked this post.

lol.

I have an android, and when someone on an iPhone (I'm assuming) 'likes' one of my texts, I get a text like the above. It's annoying.

I really wish they'd just universalize those communications, but that would be good for the customers instead of the companies...

Comment

• [QUOTE=CanDB;n8416987]I know I have talked about this before, somewhere(??), but it still amazes me when going for a walk in our nearby park, only to come close to dear. Like barely 15 feet sometimes. Who take a look or two, but maintain their place as long as we do not startle them. They are simply beautiful![/QUOTE

Deer? We have seen a few hear. We are quite close to a busy road so I am surprised how much wildlife we do see, at the same time it makes me nervous about things getting hit by cars.

Here are some recent your basic backyard variety shots. We enjoy feeding the Birds and lean towards stuff for the Crows. Very smart and fun to watch.
                                Not sure if this will work or not...we know there has been a recent Bear but no pics yet. Deer have been visiting most every night, and we have some Bunnies.

https://twitter.com/summerzagain38/s...92054650867712

SOMEWHERE I have some daytime picks of Deer and we had a family of Turkeys often right along the back of the house, I would be looking out in the field when they were right under my nose lol. We have about an acre, our neighbors have more and keep the backforty so to speak open for the wildlife.

Comment

Working...
                                X