Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
    Hey Can -

As a partially unbiased supporter of the Avs, I'm hoping you can clear up some claims I've seen (because I'm discussing them elsewhere). Pretty sure it's just salty Oiler fans, but I could be wrong.

I heard a couple of complaints about the Avs being dirty back to Oilers. Specifically MacKinnon 'slewfoot' somebody, and a few others though I don't remember. I've thought that the Avs have done a great job of holding composure under the circumstances, though I won't claim they're perfect...

I didn't even know what a slewfoot was without googling it.

Also heard that Landeskog is a dirty player overall or has that rep.

Thoughts?
    I never think of The Avs being a dirty team. They would be one of the least dirty teams in the league IMO. I am sure MacKinnon and Landeskog can get involved in some "tough" stuff, and Landeskog is a very good fighter, but it's a hard nosed game and even the good guys will make a questionable play every so often. Sometimes it's retaliation for a player or two who are getting away with stuff against you and your team.

I did not see the slewfoot(s) mentioned, but it is a dangerous move, given the player falls backwards onto the ice. Lets just say, most NHLers are equipped to protect themselves, and wil engage as much as need be, pending the opponents' actions. The vast majority are not in it to hurt an opponent.

Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
    Hey Can -

When/how did the scheduling change for the NHL? I'm just looking for when the Finals would start and doing the math and it seems like they could potentially end up playing into July which seems way later than I remember.
    Good question. I actually do not follow the detailed scheduling part, other than I know the process overall....and my goodness, it seems to be extended too long!!! Hey even canucks are immersed in warm/hot weather by the end of June!!

This was supposed to be an Olympic year for the NHL, with a slot of time vacated for it. So that may be a factor. And covid forced many rescheduled games, which fortunately ended up being played in the Olympic gap, given they did not go. (DARN!!)

Hockey and Basketball are very similar in terms of length of season schedule and time of year. I DO NOT like games more than 2 days apart (within a series) in either of these sports.
    Last edited by CanDB; 06-07-2022, 06:57 AM.

Comment

• Cool, thanks Can for all those answers.

Comment

• Man, all I want to do all day is read Hockey stuff. The wait for the Finals is going to be so brutal.

Comment

Cool, thanks Can for all those answers.
          No problem...some of them might even be correct.

Again, any time.

BTW, being a hockey fanatic I am fortunate because, just like The NFL, I get pumped for The Draft, Free Agency and trades. It's not as big as The NFL production, but I love to study it like I do in football. Mock drafts. Even look ahead a year or two, for those mocks. Of course, up here we are more familiar with many of the junior players. This year a couple of locals will be drafted high.

I do watch The NBA draft, and keep track of things, but not nearly as much as I do hockey and football. And though I love baseball, that's one draft that hardly gets attention, at least where I come from. I get the sense that MLB is not in the same "league" as those other sports when it comes to improving the game and everything about it. But wait, there's those Savannah Bananas. Check 'em out!

Last edited by CanDB; 06-07-2022, 11:37 AM.

Comment

• A recent picture Hubby took with his phone, captured the mood?lol
            Some Housewrens took up residence in a birdhouse we put up on our shed last year, love what they did with the place. Looks a bit serious today.

https://twitter.com/summerzagain38/s...47347638657030

picture is kinda big so just posted link.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaws View Post
              It's good to have a chuckle.
              Been sick with Strep throat.
              Also had some concerning news about son's fiancee and the baby. It's an issue with critically low iron & she'll need a transfusion. It's had an adverse effect on her physical and mental health as well as the growth of the baby. The weeks leading up to the due date on the 27th are going to be tense.
              Hope things improve soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by 2 Minute Warning View Post

Hope things improve soon.
                Thanks.
                M my son's partner is on her last night of work at the Nursing Home, I don't know how she's managed up to now. She sees a Consultant Thursday.
                Hope you're doing ok.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaws View Post

Thanks.
                  M my son's partner is on her last night of work at the Nursing Home, I don't know how she's managed up to now. She sees a Consultant Thursday.
                  Hope you're doing ok.
                  How much longer till she's due?

Comment

• This new golf tour - LIV, is a real cloudy situation. The money is big, and they play a lot less tournaments, and so far, against what appears to be a so so group of players. Some good for sure. For someone like Dustin Johnson to quit The PGA, and likely diminish his legacy, pending how the LIV tour goes, seems nothing more than a money grab. It's his choice, as it is Phil Mickelson's, who I like but never know for sure what he's going to do next. But think of this, Phil is reportedly getting $200M just to join the tour, more than double what he has made in his PGA golf career. Plus anything he makes in these tournaments, which pay much more per tournament.

I am not even going near the topic of financial source for this tour.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                      This new golf tour - LIV, is a real cloudy situation. The money is big, and they play a lot less tournaments, and so far, against what appears to be a so so group of players. Some good for sure. For someone like Dustin Johnson to quit The PGA, and likely diminish his legacy, pending how the LIV tour goes, seems nothing more than a money grab. It's his choice, as it is Phil Mickelson's, who I like but never know for sure what he's going to do next. But think of this, Phil is reportedly getting $200M just to join the tour, more than double what he has made in his PGA golf career. Plus anything he makes in these tournaments, which pay much more per tournament.

Yeah, been discussing this with my Dad.

Do the players really have to quit the PGA to do LIV? I don't understand the uproar. Players have played things outside the PGA all the time before.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                        This new golf tour - LIV, is a real cloudy situation. The money is big, and they play a lot less tournaments, and so far, against what appears to be a so so group of players. Some good for sure. For someone like Dustin Johnson to quit The PGA, and likely diminish his legacy, pending how the LIV tour goes, seems nothing more than a money grab. It's his choice, as it is Phil Mickelson's, who I like but never know for sure what he's going to do next. But think of this, Phil is reportedly getting $200M just to join the tour, more than double what he has made in his PGA golf career. Plus anything he makes in these tournaments, which pay much more per tournament.

Why not?
                        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Yeah, been discussing this with my Dad.

Do the players really have to quit the PGA to do LIV? I don't understand the uproar. Players have played things outside the PGA all the time before.
                          It may have to do with why Can won't go near the topic of the financial source of the LIV.

Comment

• Originally posted by samparnell View Post

It may have to do with why Can won't go near the topic of the financial source of the LIV.
                            I mean... that would be a reasonable reason.

I'm pretty sure that the PGAs reasons are a bit more selfish.

Comment

These players may be sacrificing certain honours and achievement for changing tours. No more Ryder Cups. No more improvement in rankings, in a sport rich with history.

But initially I see a group of good players making the transition, giving the tour some viability, and then you will see lesser players who will be enticed by big signing type bonuses, who want security and potential recognition through a different lens.

I have always felt a bit of a "snobbish" side to golf, though many of us play just because we like the game, not because we can afford expensive private memberships. I think The PGA deserves a little kick in the behind, to make them more competitive and open to change. LIV is playing 54 hole events, and I understand they will be employing shot gun type starts, where players do not all begin on hole one, in order to speed up the game. These might be wise ideas.

I've mentioned before, but baseball also needs a wake up call. I've seen grass grow faster than some games.

Comment

Could be.

Comment

Working...
                                X