Welcome to the Cafe!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 2 Minute Warning View Post

Very cool, around that time I lived in a house at the end of one of the runways, awesome to see them so low. Don't remember what the road it was a brief stay with an Aunt. Later in the early 70's same Aunt worked magazine/candybar area nights at the Airport, she had since moved, anyways sometimes on my school breaks I would go to work with her, fun yet odd seeing the airport so quiet at times in the wee hours of the morning. Would have the observation deck all to myself to sit back and see which were stars, and which were planes landing. Good times.
    Do you remember the diner called "The Clock" at Peoria & Colfax?
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• Originally posted by samparnell View Post

Do you remember the diner called "The Clock" at Peoria & Colfax?
      Can't say as I do, that doesn't mean I never been there, we would often just load in the car and go lol.And as a kid was just along for the ride. I will always remember an awesome steakhouse, very small and plain/quaint on some obsolete side road in Denver, we frequented there but I do not recall the name. Got to know Denver well because that one Aunt was always moving, last place she lived was Aurora. Again I would just hear someone in the car reading the directions to her new place of residence..and off we would go. She loved Denver. I also had relatives in Greeley, Hillrose, and beyond in California. My Grandfather was a retired Cattle rancher from Last Chance, he and Grandma retired to Greeley. Growin up I was lucky to have seen so much of Colorado.( and some of California)

Now I'm hungry..........edit
      after more thought if it was at Peoria & Colfax had to have at least driven by there, it always seemed to be a popular route
      Last edited by 2 Minute Warning; 06-20-2022, 12:53 PM.

Comment

• Happy June 20th.

Every day deserves some luv....

Comment

• Here in the states, we're observing Juneteenth!

Happy belated Father's Day, all!

Comment

• So, while we are on the subject of Denver this travel vloger sp? just happens to be passing through Colorado, I have never had the fortune of seeing the Blue Bear in person, always enjoy when it gets some spotlight.

Let's join them,,,, shall we?
            Impromptu Tour Around Denver in 1967 Volkswagen Dune Buggy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VRCMX2JrFM&t=85s

...moving on to a recent game night.....
            Out Of Place in Downtown Denver For Stanley Cup Finals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRpIif4FV-I&t=159s

Many moons ago I rode the big coaster at Elitch Garden, later found my comfort zone on the Chipmunk Kiddie coaster....seriously.

When in Disneyland some years before that never did ride the Matterhorn, always chickened out after making some poor adult wait in long line----------
            Last edited by 2 Minute Warning; 06-20-2022, 01:15 PM.

Comment

• Nice. I may have to check those out. Don't often watch videos that long, but sometimes as background stuff.

I was too afraid of heights for much of my younger years to do the roller coasters. I've done a few over the years, but I had more trips where I wouldn't than I would... or at least it seems that way. Went to such places a lot when I was younger.

One of my last trips... would have been my last one to Elitches.... early 2000s. Rode several coasters. I think we managed 7 whole rides in 9 hours.

At that point, I was like... I enjoy these, but not enough to make them worth an hour wait each time. Only been on a few since. Oh well.

But your comment reminded me of the 'Wild Chipmunk' at Lakeside. It wasn't a kids coaster, though it kinda looked like it.

It was compact, and not that tall. I didn't enjoy that one. It wasn't scary, but it did jam you into the sides of the car repeatedly.

Comment

• Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
                Nice. I may have to check those out. Don't often watch videos that long, but sometimes as background stuff.

I was too afraid of heights for much of my younger years to do the roller coasters. I've done a few over the years, but I had more trips where I wouldn't than I would... or at least it seems that way. Went to such places a lot when I was younger.

One of my last trips... would have been my last one to Elitches.... early 2000s. Rode several coasters. I think we managed 7 whole rides in 9 hours.

At that point, I was like... I enjoy these, but not enough to make them worth an hour wait each time. Only been on a few since. Oh well.

But your comment reminded me of the 'Wild Chipmunk' at Lakeside. It wasn't a kids coaster, though it kinda looked like it.

It was compact, and not that tall. I didn't enjoy that one. It wasn't scary, but it did jam you into the sides of the car repeatedly.
                !!Maybe that was it??Some things were a blur long ago, we moved around so much. And blurry now too, and I am not even moving lol. But it would make sense.

As an example of a couple moves, 1st grade I was in Ovid, my head got cracked open on playground by a vacant swinging swing, got staples put in not far away in Julesburg. Was the same year Beatles arrived.

4th grade broke my arm in half on playground landing wrong high jumping in Pueblo, 6 ? months later cast came off in Long Beach Ca. .......man it was HOT there.
                Last edited by 2 Minute Warning; 06-21-2022, 01:21 PM.

Comment

yea it is not scary now that we have has decades of better rides. Back in the 70s and 80s as a kid I was sure the car was going to fall off the track when it did those hard turns.

Tbh in the 80s this was probably not even top 3-5 in terms of thrill rides at amusement parks in Colorado but it gave me some thrills. Maybe it made top 5 list. Long time ago would need to brush a lot of cobwebs out to make a list.
                  Let's Ride!

Comment

• Originally posted by 2 Minute Warning View Post

!!Maybe that was it??Some things were a blur long ago, we moved around so much. And blurry now too, and I am not even moving lol. But it would make sense.

As an example of a couple moves, 1st grade I was in Ovid, my head got cracked open on playground by a vacant swinging swing, got staples put in not far away in Julesburg. Was the same year Beatles arrived.

4th grade broke my arm in half on playground landing wrong high jumping in Pueblo, 6 ? months later cast came off in Long Beach Ca. .......man it was HOT there.
                    Those are some stories and a bunch of moving! Dang!

Originally posted by Hadez View Post

yea it is not scary now that we have has decades of better rides. Back in the 70s and 80s as a kid I was sure the car was going to fall off the track when it did those hard turns.

Tbh in the 80s this was probably not even top 3-5 in terms of thrill rides at amusement parks in Colorado but it gave me some thrills. Maybe it made top 5 list. Long time ago would need to brush a lot of cobwebs out to make a list.
                    I mean... I haven't done a lot of roller coasters. I was not great with heights back then, but was eventually able to get over it enough to enjoy coasters.

It was a long time ago, but if I can remember correctly... I think when I was at Lakeside, I was still on the in between area... getting better about it but still a bit wary. I thought the wild chipmunk would be better because it wasn't so tall and it was compact... but it wasn't very good IMO.. Wasn't scary... just hurt getting jerked around like that.

Did love Lakeside the last year or two of High School. Only went a few times, but it was great because it was relatively not that busy most of the time (Late 90s). Meant that we could run around and be teenagers... and that the lines were short if you felt like doing something. We spent a LOT of time in the Bumper cars, I think.

I went to Cedar Point when I was younger... 12-13? I really wanted to be able to do the coasters, because that's what the place is about. I tried one. My mom went with me (also doesn't like coasters). 'Gemini' was my very first coaster. It was too much for me, and I hated it because I wanted to be able to do all the cool rides.

In the end my favorite part of the place was the aquatic park and the dolphins.

Comment

Those are some stories and a bunch of moving! Dang!

But wait, there's more, been putting it off cause.. it gets complicated and kinda hard to explain, I'll try a quick version.. your post about meeting Ed Green in school got me thinking back more..........Kindergarten I was in Greeley living with my Grandparents. I would watch Bozo the clown and he had this thing you send him a postcard with name number address and so and so and if he drew your name he would call you, my Grandmother sent a card for me. Low and behold one fine day, he drew my name as I was watching, ANd the phone rang AND it was....BOZO, my voice was on T.V. and everything, WHERE were my Grandparents?? Out working in the yard missed the whole tthing!..sob...my Grandmother even slightly teased maybe it didn't really happen. Well it did happen and mystery solved when my surprise box of toys Bozo told me about arrived all the way from Bozo. ..so there...

Now backing up, after our stay in Long Beach we moved back to Colorado Denver area a few years then moved back to California to the Brentwood Los Angels area, by then I was in 6th grade. Lived in your basic apartment with pool and yes did see lots of fine fine homes walking to school and the beach near Montana Ave. where we we at. And even would easily see actors and actresses driving to work on nearby street..so cue the Twilight Zone music...one day a girl is walking to school stops in a local magazine/candy/drugstore to see the latest editions of some teen mags just enough time before school starts.
                      look over and right next to me the guy who played the Father on Please Don't Eat the Daisies
                      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Miller_(actor) .

was not only on the cover of some of the mags but was right next to me reading one of them.......I couldn't help but notice he was unshaven and did not appear to be in a very good mood so I left him alone...plus I was inshock....and getting late for school.If I could have that 60 seconds back I would at least wish him a nice day...lol. In my wildest dreams never expected something like that to happen on the way to school?...
                      might as well finish my school days while I am at it, after 6th grade moved back to Colorado, the Springs area, went to an inner city school across from a Red Barn, while a house was being built inRockrimmon near the AFA... where I finished Jr. and Senior High graduated 1975..had a paper route...probably more than you wanted to know lol...have... a nice day.

link my not work...any ways good thing he wasn't a BEATLE would have had to skip school!

Mark Miller (born Claude Herbert Miller Jr.; November 20, 1924) is an American stage and television actor and writer who starred in over 30 plays and made more than forty appearances in television programs and films since 1953. He is best known for his roles as Bill Hooten in Guestward, Ho!, Jim Nash in Please Don't Eat the Daisies TV series and Alvie in the movie he wrote and produced, Savannah Smiles.
                      In hi 90's and still alive I think.......
                      Last edited by 2 Minute Warning; 06-23-2022, 11:09 AM.

Comment

• Hahaha..... Very sweet of your Grandmother to send that postcard in for you. What a great memory.

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

• (Quote from another thread)
                          Originally posted by RealBronco View Post

Man, how you doing, bro? It's been a long time!
                          Dude!

It's funny... I was just thinking about you not that long ago. Maybe a month or so back. Was doing some old reading, and couldn't for the life of me remember your username!

I'm doing really well.

What have you been up to?!

Comment

(Quote from another thread)

Dude!

It's funny... I was just thinking about you not that long ago. Maybe a month or so back. Was doing some old reading, and couldn't for the life of me remember your username!

I'm doing really well.

What have you been up to?!
                            lol I suppose my username is rather generic these days.

Reading up on some of the ole legendary Lord Tyr shenanigans were we?

I've been good. Working a new job, up to 4 kids now. Little guy is 2 already. Crazy.

What about you?
                            sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

• Originally posted by RealBronco View Post

lol I suppose my username is rather generic these days.

Reading up on some of the ole legendary Lord Tyr shenanigans were we?

I've been good. Working a new job, up to 4 kids now. Little guy is 2 already. Crazy.

What about you?
                              It has less to do with your username, and much more to do with my inability to keep usernames straight all these years later. Yeah, I was doing some reading when I needed a brain break from work. I bookmarked my spot to pick it up later.

Wow, 4 kids! They grow so fast.

I hope you're enjoying the new job.

Gosh, I don't even remember how long it's been since we talked directly. Doing really well though overall. Own a home now (our second), done with college, recently became empty-nesters, and am still adjusting to that.

Otherwise... you know. Same ol' Same ol'.

Comment

It has less to do with your username, and much more to do with my inability to keep usernames straight all these years later. Yeah, I was doing some reading when I needed a brain break from work. I bookmarked my spot to pick it up later.

Wow, 4 kids! They grow so fast.

I hope you're enjoying the new job.

Gosh, I don't even remember how long it's been since we talked directly. Doing really well though overall. Own a home now (our second), done with college, recently became empty-nesters, and am still adjusting to that.

Otherwise... you know. Same ol' Same ol'.
                                Dang, empty nesters already!? HAHA Part of me is jealous, but I don't know what I'd do if my kids weren't around all the time. I get why people go stir-crazy when their kids leave now.

I haven't been around the boards much over the last few years so I haven't been able to keep up with everyone. That dang subreddit is just too convenient lol.
                                sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

Working...
                                X