Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Peanut View Post

Same here.

I'll have to get in there soon, but not right now. It's been a difficult week. We had a homeless guy staying with us for six months and he died Sunday. He got a job and was getting his life together. 37 years old. So sad.
    I'm sorry to read this. Sounds like you took a chance on someone and they were moving in the right direction.
    sigpic
    Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
    Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
    Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton
    Adopted Bronco - 2021/22 - Shelby Harris

Comment

Same here.

I'll have to get in there soon, but not right now. It's been a difficult week. We had a homeless guy staying with us for six months and he died Sunday. He got a job and was getting his life together. 37 years old. So sad.
      That is so unfortunate and must have been extremely difficult to deal with.

Comment

• I'm a glutton for self punishment....I just posted in general discussion again...
        Glen Haven Fire

Comment

• Originally posted by armedequation View Post

sorry to hear that. how do I say this without sounding like a blathering fool...got to give you a ton of credit for contributing to helping him try to get his life turned around
          Thanks. He was only suppose to stay here for a couple of days. We just couldn't put him back on the streets. Baltimore can be a rough place.

Originally posted by Sophia23 View Post

I'm sorry to read this. Sounds like you took a chance on someone and they were moving in the right direction.
          Thank you. He had the desire and was doing good.

Originally posted by CanDB View Post

That is so unfortunate and must have been extremely difficult to deal with.
          It is. Odd how a person can become such a part of your life in just a short time.

Originally posted by armedequation View Post
          I'm a glutton for self punishment....I just posted in general discussion again...
          Brave person. I still have a lot of reading to do.

Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

Lupus Awareness Month

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Thanks. He was only suppose to stay here for a couple of days. We just couldn't put him back on the streets. Baltimore can be a rough place.

yeah I was stationed in Alexandria and lived in Ellicott city for a time....I hear ya
            Glen Haven Fire

Comment

• Random football related thought -

*sigh*

Nah, nevermind.

Hi all! Hope you had a great weekend!

Comment

• Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
                Random football related thought -

*sigh*

Nah, nevermind.

Hi all! Hope you had a great weekend!
                this is a safe zone...please speak your mind! even if we disagree i think we can handle it like cafe adults
                Glen Haven Fire

Comment

• Oh, it was just more of the same....

I was thinking about how our team is struggling to get into the groove... and I'm the first to preach patience of course (though I'm getting frustrated too and would love a good showing on offense asap)...

And it was more of a general thought that doesn't get mentioned much... prior to the season moving to 17 regular season games and 3 preseason games... I already felt that there was a bit of a downturn in the 'product' that was the NFL in the first few weeks. It goes back to the most recent CBA. I think we all tend to forget those changes because we don't see them as first hand, but the amount of offseason practice was really cut down. I'm not saying it should change, just something I was thinking about.

It's that much harder to get to 'mid season form' these days. Obviously there are mixed results out there, and nothing is a given, but I think it's just another factor that doesn't get talked about much that is partially playing into our current situation.

It takes time to get moving parts to sync, and the more turnover/change involved, the harder that is. This team had about as much of an overhaul as you can get without replacing the entire depth chart. Again, not criticizing or suggesting change or modifications to outlook from fans... just kinda talking.

Comment

• i hear ya.

im honestly happy they are going through growing pains early...it should promote growth and necessitate bettering themselves.

remember the coach who wont be named going 6-0 and then down hill?
                    last years coach going 3-0 and then it all went downhill with the exception of the dallas game.

honestly if you have your a game early in the season, it probably doesnt bode well for later on. pitt was what 11-0 last year and then it all fell apart

im happy with the early adversity and im even happier with the fact that we have a coach who doesnt let ego get in the way of bettering their coaching
                    Glen Haven Fire

Comment

• Hey folks....isn't science amazing?!! NASA sends up a small spacecraft named Dart last November to seek out an asteroid, as an experiment for future potential "direction altering" of space "stuff" heading our way. Just like the movies. And it hit the asteroid like we do in video games, bang on!

It never ceases to amaze me what logical, creative folks can do.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                        Hey folks....isn't science amazing?!! NASA sends up a small spacecraft named Dart last November to seek out an asteroid, as an experiment for future potential "direction altering" of space "stuff" heading our way. Just like the movies. And it hit the asteroid like we do in video games, bang on!

well count me out of that group....im definitely not logical
                        Glen Haven Fire

Comment

well count me out of that group....im definitely not logical
                          I am pretty sure you are pal. In my case, that asteroid has nothing to fear.

Comment

i hear ya.

im honestly happy they are going through growing pains early...it should promote growth and necessitate bettering themselves.

remember the coach who wont be named going 6-0 and then down hill?
                            last years coach going 3-0 and then it all went downhill with the exception of the dallas game.

honestly if you have your a game early in the season, it probably doesnt bode well for later on. pitt was what 11-0 last year and then it all fell apart

im happy with the early adversity and im even happier with the fact that we have a coach who doesnt let ego get in the way of bettering their coaching
                            Yeah, the thing that excited me about Hackett after reading up on him when we hired him was his supposed willingness to change/adapt/learn always.

Obviously, if we are still struggling with the same things at the end of this season, we are in trouble, but I highly doubt it.

So many new parts to this team, and they're trying to figure out a lot on the fly and adjust as they go. If they continue to do that, we'll be good. Not calling superbowl or even playoffs this year right now, but if we as a team are willing and able to adapt to our strengths and weaknesses and figure out what works for us, that will already put us in great shape for moving forward.

The fact that some people even entertain the thought of firing a coach after 1-2 games just goes to show *how* ridiculous a lot of opinions online can be.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                              Hey folks....isn't science amazing?!! NASA sends up a small spacecraft named Dart last November to seek out an asteroid, as an experiment for future potential "direction altering" of space "stuff" heading our way. Just like the movies. And it hit the asteroid like we do in video games, bang on!

DART was an amazing achievement! So often we hear about these projects in advance, and then they kinda sneak up on you with the actual launch or target approach.

The fact that we have pictures and gifs of the approach to impact publicly available practically live is so cool.

The way it's been reported in the news (and even similar phrasing from experts discussing it on news programs) gets to me a bit.... stupid nerdy rant incoming.

I repeatedly heard it referred to as an experiment to determine *if* we could alter the orbit of an asteroid by impacting it with a projectile at high speeds.

That's... just wrong.

We KNOW it will alter the orbit of the asteroid. It would be impossible for it to not. Beyond that, we can even calculate with fairly decent precision how much we can expect that to be the case.

What they are trying to do is determine the margin of error from what they would calculate. I've got a joke that is related, but I'll put that in its own post to keep it separate from the nerd rant itself.

Comment

• So there's this guy who owns a dairy farm. He sets his cows out to pasture and brings them in for milking every day. Back when his great-grandfather owned the land, the pastures ran right up to the barn but in the days since a road was paved, separating the fields from the barn. In the morning, Farmer Dave milks the cows and then takes them across the road. At night, he brings them back.

One day he goes out at the usual time to the pasture to bring the cows back across the road. Dave brings the cows up to the edge of the road but for some reason, the cows won't go across. He tries everything he can think of and still they won't step onto the road. Afraid that the cows might be stolen or eaten in the night, Dave sleeps out in the pasture with them.

The next morning, a big city lawyer on his way to work comes driving along the road and sees Farmer Dave looking a little worse for the wear.

"Looks like you need some help," he says.

"Sure do," says Dave, "I just can't seem to get my cows back across the road to milk them."

"No problem!" says the lawyer, "I know just how to fix that." He leans over into the glovebox of his car and pulls out a large stack of papers covered in small writing.

"Fill those out and mail them to the USDA and they'll send someone to straighten these cows out." With that the lawyer drove away. Well Farmer Dave had no other choice so he filled out the papers and mailed them but no one ever came.

A week later Dave is still spending the nights out in the fields. A doctor in his fancy sports car pulls off on the side of the road:

"Looks like you're having some trouble with your cows."

"No kidding," says Dave, "They refuse to go back across the road."

"Try these," says the doctor as he hands Dave a bag full of pills. "They're sedatives, they'll put your cows right to sleep and then you can carry 'em over." So Farmer Dave tries feeding the pills to the cows but they must have been expired because not one cow fell asleep.

A month later Dave is looking pretty grizzled from being out with the cows. His clothing is covered in mud and he needs a shave. Puttering over the hill comes a small sedan, barely making it up the steady incline. With a shudder it comes to a halt in front of Farmer Dave. The physicist inside rolls down the window and squints at Dave through the haze and the morning glare.

"Top of the mornin' to ya."

Dave, a little perplexed by the strange turn of phrase stammers a bit: "I, uh, I got these . . . um, my cows . . ."

The man interrupted "Hey, I think I know how to do this, let me get back to you!" and speeds off, car coughing out thick blue-black oil smoke.

The next day the same car comes driving up again and stops in front of Dave. The physicist gets out of the car and hands Dave a binder full of sheets with complex equations written on them. "I've got the perfect solution for you but it only works for perfectly spherical cows in a vacuum."
                                Last edited by LordTrychon; 09-28-2022, 09:30 AM. Reason: Remove annoying links

Comment

Working...
                                X