It means what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It means what?

The future stretches before him, like a fresh, unused ribbon on an antique typewriter. He understands full well that he is the antique, yet the ribbon fascinates him for all the power it holds. It is full of possibilities, good and bad, near and far, true and false. The ribbon stares him in the face, and he wonders aloud " What will it tell?" and immediatly he realizes that few will ever even know or care. One ribbon amidst the multitudes... the knowledge that it is truly only important to himself seems a lesson that every broken road of his life has taught him, and he embraces it.

With a slight smile parting his lips, he remembers an odd and compelling man he knew in his youth. He had often seen the solitary dude as a loner, sometimes wondered if he was sad, or lonely. Yet always dude seemed at peace with himself, seldom clamoring for the company of others, taking it or leaving it as it came. Always a man of his word, dude would often help out a stranger or friend, and disappear into the wind. In his youth, he saw the dude as "cool" and "hip", and wondered what roads had led dude to this place... where he seemed to need no one but himself. He never once saw dude lose his cool, or try to convince any one else of anything. With little more than a sardonic smile, dude seemed to understand whatever lay before him. A man of few true friends, dude was simply a good friend, and it seemed that everyone wanted his friendship, though he knew of know one who could actually claim it. Dude was truly a mysterious stranger, he could not remember the last time he actually saw dude the final time, and no one he asked actually knew dude's name. Everyone had at least one story about dude, and all said the same thing about him... "He was one hell of a dude!"

He wondered... what was it like... to truck through a cemetery after midnight... just for yourself. Not because someone would know and wonder... or to do it in a way that a guy would make sure people would see and talk about it. Just for yourself. It isn't good or bad, cool or queer, known or unkown by others. Just what a solitary dude did for himself right then and there. The memory, the experience unto himself being the thing, not caring what others said, did or thought about his individual proclivities. He began to see dude as the key to a great and powerful secret... kind of along the lines of the way to be happy is to be happy with what you already have. Over time, the memory of dude permeates his being.

Years pass. The trappings of family, friends, work and the very shape of life it self changes and shifts. Elvis sounds the same, however everything else is different. It really does not matter to anyone that he knows who Paul Rodgers is. Everyone is increasingly caught up into their own worlds. He is still a good friend, but finds that the people inside his existance come and go, old friends are there but caught up in their own new existance created by the shift. It is, he notes, of no importance to anyone the intrinsic knowledge that he has compiled , embraced, and held dear. All the old stories are simply that...old stories. He begins to step back from the changes and new technology. He finds himself as a dinasauor among the multitudes. He begins to... no...realizes that he cares very little what those around him think about his proclivities any longer. He finds himself in situations where he lends a hand to strangers, then turns away and vanishes. He weathers the storm of betrayal and tragedy in his own life by coming to rely only on himself. He cares not if anyone likes his style or not... in fact he really has no style, just simply is who he is. The experiences of the past have shaped him, yet do not dictate his actions and future. He feels more and more akin to a lone wolf. Less a creature of habit than a man living for himself and doing as he pleases. He knows very little anymore, a man unsure of much beyond his own control. He laughs whenever he hears some young pup spout as a definite fact some homily such as "There is someone out there for everyone!" as if simply saying it out loud makes it so. Experience, and the willingness to accept reality, has shown him that there are many who never find true love, despite their absolute belief that one day it will happen for them. Yet, he only smiles sardonicly rather than point out the flaw in such a foolish belief, to the young, inexperienced puppy before him. He remembers a time whenever the only thing that kept him going was the faith that one day something wonderful will happen. With a laugh smothered inside, he slips out the back door, feeling the wind rush over his skin, understanding the wind, the moment, the dark of the night.

With a clarity that spread across his consciousness like the rain... sprinkling, then drizzling, then pouring, then pounding down into a genuine gullywasher...

He realized.

He had become dude.
    - Go Broncos 2017 and Beyond! -

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Very deep words.
    What a description, reflection, and analysis of a life.

The message is clear to me. Others will have to read for themselves.
    Hey, interesiting on you dude.

"Without struggle, there is no progress".--F.D.
    Emancipate your mind!
    The People's Poster

Comment

Originally posted by Emancipator
      Very deep words.
      What a description, reflection, and analysis of a life.

The message is clear to me. Others will have to read for themselves.
      Hey, interesiting on you dude.

"Without struggle, there is no progress".--F.D.
      I could not agree more. VERY deep words.

I couldn't help but wonder what chapter two has?
      :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

hey

A few shots of Cuervo and next thing ya know....

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Comment

Hey

It was just one of those nights.

Hey... get this!

AZ Snake Fan is in town right now!

JDUBB is going over to pick him up at the Radison, and they are coming over her to my museum! Then later... the PAINTER and the SNAKE are gonna go out and rip it up!

I will try to get a picture.

I'm out. PAINTER

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Comment

Originally posted by PAINTERDAVE
            It was just one of those nights.

Hey... get this!

AZ Snake Fan is in town right now!

JDUBB is going over to pick him up at the Radison, and they are coming over her to my museum! Then later... the PAINTER and the SNAKE are gonna go out and rip it up!

I will try to get a picture.

I'm out. PAINTER
            Painter, good to hear from you again. Ill be waiting on that picture.
            Superintendent Chalmers: "Thank the Lord"? That sounded like a prayer. A prayer in a public school. God has no place within these walls, just like facts don't have a place within an organized religion."

Comment

Holy Smokes!

Dude! It was just a story!

I have not lost hope! I am loving life, and excited about my future!

I am not damaged I am seasoned.

Experiences, good and bad, shape the man yet do NOT dictate the future.

We have free will. Happiness is a choice. I choose to be happy. A good friend told me the key to happiness is to be happy with what you have. That was in the story. Did you miss that part. Dude is a happy guy... maybe a bit jaded, but he worked it all out inside his head. Some of us choose to be alone. Some choose to give up. I refuse to destroy my inner spirit and my essence of what I am truly all about. To do so would be to have let some past partner or experience conquer my very soul and the fiber of my being.

Dude, you are not alone. I sent this story to many of my friends not on Broncomania. Holy Smokes did I strike a chord with many people. I have written some of these same sentiments that I send to you ... to those others who seemed to internalize my story and felt despair because of it.

On the one hand... I am flattered that my words convey emotion and power on that scale, however IT WAS JUST A STORY.

Everybody is different in this life. Good things happen to bad people. Bad things happen to good people. But for the most part... WE are in charge of our own happiness. And in a sense... we owe those in our lives, loved ones and such, our projection of happiness... EVEN IF IT IS NOT EXACTLY HOW WE FEEL RIGHT THEN AND THERE!

If we project happiness... it creates a happy environment around us. If you love someone, yet are having a rough patch... SUCK IT UP and at least act happy for those you love. Then with time... and being around THEIR happiness... things will improve. We make our own way... Don't be a downer.

It is like the Law of Inertia. A body at rest tends to stay at rest, a body in motion tends to stay in motion. Don't worry , Be happy.

And I want to say this about happiness and fun. They are NOT the same thing. I think this fundamental misunderstanding is incredibly destructive. So many people are so very self indulgent and centered on their own selves in our instant gratification society. Get this...

If you are unhappy deep down... none of the fun stuff is gonna fulfill you anyway! The more you chase fun, being selfish and foolish... the further away you get from discovering what and how and why you can become happy. Happiness is not about fun... it is much more of a fundamental thing (differnet for every one of us).

Get happy... then whenever you do fun things... WOW! Fulfilment and satisfaction.

Fun is like the salt and pepper... not the steak.

How many relationships are destroyed by an unhappy, selfish person blindly and destructivly seeking fulfillment from Fun? At the risk of sounding preachy...

Look inward. Into your self. Into your intrapersonal relationships.

Are you doing positivev things to foment and nurture not only your own hapiness, but that of your loved ones?

Are the "things" and "situations" in your life actually "making" you unhappy?

If so... you have given over the control of your spirit, and your being , your future, your very life to things, people, and situations outside of your control.

Tonight I drove home past a cemetary at one point. There is not one corpse in that boneyard who would not trade with ANYONE of us. Hell... each one of them would give anything just to FEEL cold and miserable. At least that is a feeling.

Okay... that lsat part is a stretch... but you get the point.

Life is short. Every moment is precious. Every moment spent wasting your chance to be happy is TRULY A WASTE! It is in your power to change and grow and become a better person every day. If not for you... then suck it up and do it for those around you who deserve better than the unhappy, slackjawed, lackluster, self indulgent, self pitying person you have ALLOWED yourself to become.

Whatever trials and tribulations you endure... in the end... you do what you have to do and you get over it. It could be ten years... ten months ...Ten weeks or ten days... but in the end you WILL GET OVER IT.

So GET OVER IT.

I want to apologize to those who have been struck by lightning, run down by drunk drivers or devastated by floods. Well... wait a minute. Remember Chris Reeves ( Superman )? Life dealt him sweetness followed by disaster. Dude died HAPPY. He chose to be happy and make the best of the hand he was dealt.

Life is a crapshoot. Nobody said it was fair or just or easy.

So after you read this... I wonder what kind of choices you will make about your own behaviour? I will choose happiness.

Ok. I am beating this deadd horse now. I had a whole differnt essay in mind whenever I ws driving home... only I felt responsible to clear this up.

I am however flattered that my writing has struck a chord with many people.
              I just gotta figure out how to use it for GOOD.

Hey... thats a happy thought!

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Comment

Hey

Oh... and by the way... about tonight... I have been sworn to secrecy.

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Comment

Originally posted by PAINTERDAVE
                  Oh... and by the way... about tonight... I have been sworn to secrecy.

Dont wanna tell em you got beat by a ten year old at a game of stick, huh?

Seriously, had a good time last night, and my boy LOVED shooting a few games with the big boys at a real Pool hall!

Thanks for setting that up Dave!

Comment

Originally posted by JWinn
                    Dont wanna tell em you got beat by a ten year old at a game of stick, huh?

Seriously, had a good time last night, and my boy LOVED shooting a few games with the big boys at a real Pool hall!

Thanks for setting that up Dave!
                    Just remember this, boys........

...jealousy runs deep......

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
                    tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
                    men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X