Warning - Please read

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warning - Please read

This is the sort of thing that we've all heard about... but it doesn't really strike home until it happens to someone close to you.

My sister has been lonely for a long time... she has a 5 1/2 year old son who's just great, and the focus of her life. The father isn't around, and that's a good thing. Unfortunately, my sister simply doesn't have time to meet guys usually.

I don't remember how she ran across myspace... it was a few months ago though. She put up a small profile and was shocked at how many people, and guys especially, were interested in talking to her! She had a few different guys flirting with her, and other people just wanting to talk to her. It was great!

Some of the guys were over the top, and obviously after one thing and one thing only. My sister wasn't interested in them... although I do think she was flattered.

One of the guys was very flirty and joked about that sort of thing, but always seemed like he was mostly playing. He seemed like a nice enough guy. She was almost going to meet this guy. Instead, she ended up meeting somebody else. I warned her -

Meet in a public place - Don't go anywhere with him where you might end up alone - Don't let him know where you live - Don't spend too much time with him until you know him better - have dinner in public and then go your seperate ways.

She didn't listen. She met this guy... had him pick her up (at least it wasn't at her house...) and then they went out.

This is my sister's myspace friends. Look at the fourth one on the top row.

Now go here, and watch the video.

I was fortunate. My sister did not meet this guy. If she had, and had done it in the same way she met the other guy, she could be dead. She was within days of meeting him... and after she chose to meet this other guy instead, the guy from the news video continued to bug her and try to meet her. This girl died on Dec. 28th... and he did nothing until he was picked up and arrested... then he confessed. Before then, he changed his myspace to make him seem more gentle.

Don't get me wrong... the internet is a great place.... I met one of my girlfriends on the internet... we stayed friends for a long time. I've met other friends over the internet.

Just PLEASE BE CAREFUL!

If you'd like to read this in my sister's own words, go here
    Thanks, Reid!
    sigpic
    Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

WOW

I'm glad your sister didn't meet the guy. I guess this goes to show that we have to be careful, there are evil people out there. The internet is a wonderful thing, but we have to use caution.

Comment

Oh, wow! I'm so happy to hear your sister is safe! I feel bad for that girls family I imagine your sister freaked upon putting the pieces together. It makes me sick to my stomach to think about how close your nephew came to losing his mom-and your sister!

What a sick bas-tard

I've also met people online. Heck, I met my husband on-line. But I also followed common sense and what you've outlined above. Arrive in a public place in seperate cars, and leave when you are done. Heck, I used to arrive early and see what car he drove, then when I left, I drove around in circles, making sure no one followed me. Now I dont feel so crazy for doing that!

Be sure to give your sis a big hug the next time you see her. and your nephew. God Bless them both.
      sigpic
      Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
      -Sean Payton

Comment

Thank you both for your kind words... my sister is at home resting today.
        Thanks, Reid!
        sigpic

Comment

WOW that is scary.

Comment

My space is getting bad pubilicity as of late - they are being sued in CT over a group of young teen age girls getting molested after meeting men on the myspace site -

This world is a VERY scary place - EVERYONE should watch things like Forensic Files and the likes of shows of that nature so they will truly realize how evil the world can be - you cant trust ANYONE especially a stanger

Nothing personal, lordy, but no one should be that naive these days - Im sorry but if you are over the age of 18 and you dont know not to meet a stranger anywhere other than a very public place and NEVER do anything to let this person into your life w/o knowing more about them, well its just plain stupid - it really is - not that a person deserves for something bad to happen and its not like getting to know someone makes them a safe person to be around, but still an ounce of prevention and all that

Comment

What can I say. This is just so eerie. That poor girl. You hear about these kind of things but you never think anything like that will happen to you or someone you know.

So glad your sis never got to meet this beast. I wish your sis all the best. Stuff like this really shakes you up and makes you think.

Comment

Originally posted by orangenblue420
                My space is getting bad pubilicity as of late - they are being sued in CT over a group of young teen age girls getting molested after meeting men on the myspace site -

This world is a VERY scary place - EVERYONE should watch things like Forensic Files and the likes of shows of that nature so they will truly realize how evil the world can be - you cant trust ANYONE especially a stanger

Nothing personal, lordy, but no one should be that naive these days - Im sorry but if you are over the age of 18 and you dont know not to meet a stranger anywhere other than a very public place and NEVER do anything to let this person into your life w/o knowing more about them, well its just plain stupid - it really is - not that a person deserves for something bad to happen and its not like getting to know someone makes them a safe person to be around, but still an ounce of prevention and all that
                I don't disagree with you... my sister is far too trusting... and she knows it. I think she knows a little better now.

For the record, I don't blame myspace for this... this has nothing to do with them in particular. This sort of thing was happening well before Myspace was around.
                Thanks, Reid!
                sigpic

Comment

Trychon,
                  That is an amazing story. Wow. I'm glad you brought this to us. There are many here that could benefit from hearing this story. I hope your sister is able to get over this. Wow.
                  Emancipate your mind!
                  The People's Poster

Comment

Your sister dodged a bullet this time, LT. Good for her!

We live in a world where you just cant take too many chances. And the internet has opened up a whole new world to the sick bastards in life.

I'm glad she's ok.

Feel sorry for that other girl though............

Comment

It's too bad that people in general are losing the skills of meeting other people unless it invloves a text message or internet connection.

The more our society becomes connected electronically.

The less we become connected on a real fundmental level.

This country is becoming more disconnected every day.

Comment

I really couldn't believe how bad it was to be a girl on myspace. Then a friend asked me to manage hers because she is so busy at the moment. I couldn't believe it. Within a few hours she had over 70 guys trying everything from simple flirting to the full on stuff. Needless to say I refuse to touch that one again with a 10 foot pole. Glad to hear your sister is ok.
                        "On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high."
                        Ayrton Senna..

Comment

Good to hear she is ok.

If only the good and bad were easier to tell apart in this world.
                          sigpic

I think Ben Tate will be the best back taken in the 2010 draft. (5/3/10)
                          SportsXPicks, check out the Rants and Opinions section

Comment

My daughter spends a little bit of time on MySpace. I am concerned to say the least.

But she's a pretty smart girl, and knows how the world works. Even still........

Try telling a 16 year old anythiing-- they are already experienced in everything, and we parents have no clue...............

Comment

Trychon gave good advice to his sister. Who I'm sure is just as smart as he is, but she didn't listen to the great advice he provided her.

Smart people make poor decisions all the time. I feel terrible about the young lady who found out in a fatal way.

* I recall back in 1971 when I was a few months old, I decided to take both my hands off the my milk bottle and it fell to the floor. You live and you learn you just pray the decision you make is the best one. Good thing I haven't made any poor decisions since that bottle dropped.*
                              Last edited by Emancipator; 02-10-2006, 12:25 PM.
                              Emancipate your mind!
                              The People's Poster

Comment

Working...
                              X