The greatest achievement of mankind?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The greatest achievement of mankind?

Choose which one you think Is the greatest achievement of the human race.

Personally, I believe that music and the arts are the greatest achievement. Without out art, we'd be reduced to drones, no passion in our life. your thoughts?
    Books, literature, the written word.
    16.67%
    Music, painting, the Arts.
    20.83%
    Computers, cell phones, technology.
    37.50%
    Organized sports.
    0.00%
    what the hell is an achievement?
    0.00%
    other, please post.
    25.00%

If you take what I have to say seriously, then I'm embarrassed for you.

Technology. Most of the things you do involve technology of sorts. Electricity included. You wouldn't have great cusine without food, although that ties in with music and arts, many would not have jobs if it were not for computers, the cashier line would be less quick and longer, you wouldn't have memories in pictures (cameras), or recorded on tape or DVD, we would not be able to catch some criminals, although of course there are downsides and people use it against us...

sigpic

Sig made by me. Click top sig to view my Graphics Portfolio.

There are three things you can expect in life:

1. Death
    2. Taxes
    3. The Ball Being Picked Off by Champ Bailey

Comment

Venturing beyond our planet to begin exploring space.

All thse options are excellent candidates, but if you ask me, the single biggest accomlishment of man in the modern age would be going to the Moon, and returning safely.

Stepping on another world....................................

Other than that, probably when man learned to create fire and make basic tools.

Comment

Originally posted by JWinn
        Venturing beyond our planet to begin exploring space.

All thse options are excellent candidates, but if you ask me, the single biggest accomlishment of man in the modern age would be going to the Moon, and returning safely.

Stepping on another world....................................

Other than that, probably when man learned to create fire.

good answer, but I consider that to be in the realm of technology, since it was technology that first gave us the opportunity to explore space. Although I probably shouldve mad an exploration choice, sorry about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncofan-13
          good answer, but I consider that to be in the realm of technology, since it was technology that first gave us the opportunity to explore space. Although I probably shouldve mad an exploration choice, sorry about that.

Well, as I see it, everything that came after the most basic tools, the rock, the flint, etc., fall under "technology" really.

I cant see the list as I post, but didnt you list technology as cumputers, phones, and other electronic stuff?

I submit that bows and arrows are a form of technology. Certainly more primitive than an MX missle, but not to those who first used them.

So when you think of it that way, just about any mechanical advancement in mankind can fall under technology.

Comment

I'd say the fact that humans are the only species on this planet that will kill each other or other species ... for fun. There is something very wrong with that reasoning. Killing for fun?
            The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

Originally posted by JWinn
              Well, as I see it, everything that came after the most basic tools, the rock, the flint, etc., fall under "technology" really.

I cant see the list as I post, but didnt you list technology as cumputers, phones, and other electronic stuff?

I did, but its not limited to just modern technology. I meant all technology, the invention of the wheel, fire, sliced bread....

Comment

I did, but its not limited to just modern technology. I meant all technology, the invention of the wheel, fire, sliced bread....
                AHHH, see, I took it to mean modern technology.

My mistake............

Comment

Internet!

Comment

Choose which one you think Is the greatest achievement of the human race.

Personally, I believe that music and the arts are the greatest achievement. Without out art, we'd be reduced to drones, no passion in our life. your thoughts?

Me.

In lieu of that, when you consider how far away the moon and planets are, the fact that we get ships, manned or unmanned there, at all, muchless mulitple passes, is amazing.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
                    You should check these guys out

Comment

learning to walk on two legs..........followed by using and making tools

for three million years we were nothing but tree hugging crap slingers until we learned these
                      sigpic
                      when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

Originally posted by Dawgfan
                        I'd say the fact that humans are the only species on this planet that will kill each other or other species ... for fun. There is something very wrong with that reasoning. Killing for fun?

That's incorrect.

Cats will kill for fun as well.

Though it is more of an instinct to hone their hunting skills.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Knight
                          That's incorrect.

Cats will kill for fun as well.

Though it is more of an instinct to hone their hunting skills.

Dolphins kill for fun too. Seen it on the nature channel.

Comment

Just want to jump on the killing for fun bandwagon - foxes kill for fun too

Comment

Posters kill a good thread for fun, too.
                              Emancipate your mind!
                              The People's Poster

Comment

Working...
                              X