Scoliosis surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoliosis surgery

Hey everyone. I got some bad news yesterday. I found out that I have to have surgery for my scoliosis. I am a 19 year old male living in Wisconsin, and I am wondering if anyone on these boards has had surgery. If so, I would love to talk to you. I am looking on different websites and trying to talk to people who are experiencing or have experienced the same thing I am going to experience. If anyone has any help, I appreciate it.

***bump***

Comment

Sorry... I saw this earlier and meant to read it and forgot... (stupid work)....

I have had surgery... two, actually... but not exactly similar to what you'd have to get for scoliosis.... Still willing to talk if you'd like... I had two surgeries because of appendicitis when I was 13.

Comment

bumping..................
        May your surgery go well.
        Emancipate your mind!
        The People's Poster

Comment

I have never had this type of surgery (hope I got the link right)

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/brochure/t...category=Spine

But after 3 knee operations, 1st when I was 12, abdominal and ankle operations, one thing I think is important is to think about how your life will be different while you are recovering so you can be better prepared, for example things you can and can't do and don't rush recovery.

Maybe someone else here can tell you more about what they have been through.

Good luck and I hope all goes well.
          Last edited by 2 Minute Warning; 02-23-2006, 04:41 PM.

Comment

I'm from Wisconsin.... I would love to talk to you about it. I've never had that surgery, but I have had other surgery. Give me a hoot if you want to talk.

Comment

Thanks for your replies. First off, I am going to get an MRI done on March 7th. From there my doctor will set the surgery day and everything else. I also have to donate my own blood, because there is a very good chance I will need a blood transfusion. There is also a chance of paraplegia. Very scary, but I know that I will get through it. And I will be a different person from having gone through it. If anyone wants to follow this, I will let everyone know whats happening as it comes.

Emancipator- Thank you for the bumping of this thread, and thank you for your words of encouragement. I am finding that it is easier to cope with when I read all the good words from people throughout all message boards.

Trychon- What exactly is appendicitis? And what did you have to go through? Thats a little vague question, but answer it how you would like.

JoviBronco- Thanks for the link. I thought I would provide all of you with an x ray. (not mine) The one on the left looks like my back, only the curve is a little bit higher. On the right is a after surgery X ray. Those 2 white bars you see is a titanium rod that holds it in place. http://ortho.chsys.org/images/scoliosis.jpg

B4Bronco16- What would you like to talk about?

Thanks again to everyone who replied.

Comment

I dont know but my cousin had to have surgeory for this jacked up lookin bump thing on his neck and he's had to have surgeory on it like 5 times already and it just keeps getting bigger. kind of like when you shave and it goes away for a while but then it just comes back bushier.
                the space that is mine

We miss 'ya brother dime. We know your up there jamming with Cliff and Chuck. Stay metal :salute: :rockon:

Comment

I had to get surgery for my knee this year, nothing serious, orthoscopic surgery. Good luck with yours though!

Comment

Allthough I havent had any surgeries on my back. I have had head surgery but thats a different story. My cousin Ginna had the same surgery you are going through. Her first surgery was when she was 7 years old. Back then they put in two steel bars. It took a couple of months healing the first time and 4 months rehab. When she turned 17 she had the steel bars removed and they were replaced with titanium. She is now 32 she hasn't had any complications as of yet, and lives a very happy healthy and active lifestyle. You are in my prayers and I will have the congregation of my church pray for you as well.
                    Thanks for the Sig "rjent"sigpic

Comment

There's actually a new innovative surgery. Instead of opening up your WHOLE back they do two little insitions(sp?) on each side of the waist area and do it all from there.

Comment

Appendicitis is when your appendix gets an infection... if it's not caught in time (within as soon as 12-24 hours) it will rupture... greatly increasing the danger...

I was in the doctor's waiting room when mine 'ruptured' (exploded)... It was easy to tell that was when it happened, because the pain litterally tripled and I fell out of my chair.

Most appendectomies usually the patient can leave after 24 hours or less... but I had complications... they spent 2 weeks not knowing why my intestines were obstructed. Some scar tissue had wrapped around them... they weren't even sure of that by the time they put me under the knife the second time... but they managed to make it all better!

If you want to know more, I have a ton of stories, although like I said, they don't relate that well to what you will go through... most of my stories have to do with the complications and some of the hell that put me through. If this had happened 20 years earlier, I'd likely have died... the doctors had never seen anything quite like it. In the end Modern Science wins out.

My prayers are with you, and I'm sure everything will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by 16milehigh87
                          Allthough I havent had any surgeries on my back. I have had head surgery but thats a different story. My cousin Ginna had the same surgery you are going through. Her first surgery was when she was 7 years old. Back then they put in two steel bars. It took a couple of months healing the first time and 4 months rehab. When she turned 17 she had the steel bars removed and they were replaced with titanium. She is now 32 she hasn't had any complications as of yet, and lives a very happy healthy and active lifestyle. You are in my prayers and I will have the congregation of my church pray for you as well.
                          Thanks for the story. I read as many storys as i can about peoples experiences, and it really helps ease my nerves. Lord, did you have your appendix taken out because of that?? I don't know much about it, but my grandma had hers taken out. Could it be because of the same thing? About that new surgery someone mentioned, do you maybe have a link to something? I dont think Id be up for something new for something this big. Even though I will have a scar from my neck to my butt, at least I know its been performed on many many people. Ill have to check it out nontheless. Thanks again for all your prayers! Take care, and Like I said, I will give you all an update.

Comment

May 1st is creeping up awfully fast. Here is a small update.

I went to the Blood Center of Marshfield on Monday to draw a pint of blood. It wasn't that bad. I am going in again this Monday to draw another pint of blood. They said my red blood cell count is 43, which is very good. I believe my next trip is on the 25th for my pre op appointment. I will give everyone another update on the 25th. Here is a link detailing what they are going to do to me. http://www.spine-health.com/topics/c...oliosis04.html I am having the posterior approach done. Thanks all for listening. I appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                            X